The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Prepping for a BBC conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=279281)

87Lowrider 09-05-2008 08:13 PM

Re: Prepping for a BBC conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSC's76 (Post 2878167)
Looks killer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by COMP (Post 2878147)
looking great Kenny

New page - Thanks guys!

454HO 09-06-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Lowrider (Post 2875382)
Is it necessary to put some type of additive in it or the normal antifreeze / water combo ok? Be cool recommended some type of snake oil with the purchase but I'm a sceptic.

The 'silent killer' for aluminum radiators is electrolysis. If there is a voltage difference of 100mV or more between the battery negative post and the coolant in the radiator, and your coolant's ph balance is on the acidic side, that aluminum radiator will disolve itself in a matter of months.

To prevent electrolysis, make sure all the grounding straps for the engine are in good shape. Would not hurt to add one at the radiator too. DO NOT USE DEXCOOL. Use the old standby Prestone, and change it once a year. And as far as an additive goes, the best one is RMI-25. It has the corrosion inhibitors and ph balancer plus it contains lubricants for the water pump seals. No snake oil... it works. I have been using it with excellent results (ImpalaSS, Grand National, Truck, Fiero) for nearly 10 years.

COMP 09-06-2008 11:27 AM

good link

87Lowrider 09-06-2008 11:38 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the info.. I'll pick some RMI-25 up today before I fill the rad up initially, I assume it's on the shelf somewhere.... I'm waiting on Fedex on Monday for my fans to finish the install. The only antifreeze I use is Prestone.

That dude is too expensive to have to replace every six months.

My wife doesn't like the black rubber hoses for the rad and heater hoses. I stopped at a local custom shop here in the area and they have those cut-to-fit flexable hoses that look like billet on the outside. Pretty expensive though.. She keeps making me spend money on this truck, I wish she'd quit! ;)

Kenny

COMP 09-06-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Lowrider (Post 2878884)
Greg,

Thanks for the info.. I'll pick some RMI-25 up today before I fill the rad up initially, I assume it's on the shelf somewhere.... I'm waiting on Fedex on Monday for my fans to finish the install. The only antifreeze I use is Prestone.

That dude is too expensive to have to replace every six months.

My wife doesn't like the black rubber hoses for the rad and heater hoses. I stopped at a local custom shop here in the area and they have those cut-to-fit flexable hoses that look like billet on the outside. Pretty expensive though.. She keeps making me spend money on this truck, I wish she'd quit! ;)

Kenny

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ,,,,,don't forget distilled water to mix with

454HO 09-06-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Lowrider (Post 2878884)
I'll pick some RMI-25 up today before I fill the rad up initially, I assume it's on the shelf somewhere.... .

I've never found it in the regular auto parts stores. I know a guy in the Houston Buick club that buys several cases at a time. I just get what I needed from him at cost.

If you can't find it locally, just order some and add it in to the coolant when it comes in. No big deal running without it for a week or two.

454HO 09-06-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COMP (Post 2878874)
good link

Did you look at the pics?

The radiator in my '96 ImpalaSS was aluminum. Chevy put Dexcool in the radiator from the factory, plus thay added these mysterious brown tablets that were supposed to stop leaks. End result after a few years is the radiator and heater core were all blocked up with sludge. Looked sorta like this

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/images/dexmud7.jpg

A lot of guys Impala guys know successfully cleaned out all that crap with the RMI, so I tried it. I did one bottle RMI with distilled water for about 5000 miles. Then I flushed and refilled with 50/50 Prestone and another bottle of RMI. My heater magically started working again, and the engine was running cooler. The next year I flushed it again, and it looked nice and clean on the inside. :metal:

COMP 09-06-2008 12:34 PM

Dexcool is TRASH

biggreenhutch 09-06-2008 08:52 PM

well i've got an78 swb it has dropped spindles and springs i got it it was all apart i put in a 71 454 and oh boy do's she sit low but its easy to work on,..lol oh yeah anyone know where to get replacement rear fenders for a stepside :chevy:

biggreenhutch 09-06-2008 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres my pics

87Lowrider 09-07-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 454HO (Post 2878920)
Did you look at the pics?

ya know, i guess I knew that could happen. It just never occured to me to take the precaution for the radiator. I'm glad I asked that question.

I'm gonna get this cooling system going and I'll be ready for a road trip somewhere!

biggreenhutch - nice truck!!

Thanks for the article.

UPDATE: 9/8/08 Here's the finished product with the Flex-a-Lite dual fan kit.
http://www.a2zcs.com/files/1096.jpg

87Lowrider 09-21-2008 05:35 PM

http://www.a2zcs.com/files/1104.jpg

http://www.a2zcs.com/files/1105.jpg
I replaced my valve covers today with the tall ones since I had spacers on the heads and the short ones... Looks much better. I also installed Comp Cams Full Roller Rockers because the stamped rockers were not allowing proper oil flow according to the mechanic who has been helping me through some of the issues.

I also got my flex-a-lite electric fans working good today after relocating the sending unit to the front of the intake and blocking off the hose to the water pump.

http://www.a2zcs.com/files/1108.jpg

Cyclone44 10-06-2008 08:35 PM

Kenny that is a nice truck.....You do awsome work....:metal:

87Lowrider 10-06-2008 10:07 PM

Thank You! - By the way, engine runs between 175 and 195 degrees.

jobberone 11-13-2008 12:43 AM

great looking truck and love the extra work and touches. nice job. Can't believe how close our basic setup is.

grinch4om 11-13-2008 05:06 AM

far out! I guess I'm not the only crazy Kentuckian with a rat short box...

87Lowrider 11-13-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch4om (Post 2972343)
far out! I guess I'm not the only crazy Kentuckian with a rat short box...

guess not... we gotta stick together too... I still want to get a Kentucky group together somewhere.... We can't continue to let TX dominate the badazz truck scene... I can only hope that I'll have one too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobberone (Post 2972162)
great looking truck and love the extra work and touches. nice job. Can't believe how close our basic setup is.

Yea.. it's pretty common. How bout a pic? You got a thread started anywhere?

WOW! - I JUST NOTICED, 500 POSTS... IS THERE SOME AWARD FOR THAT??

Ken

Cherub 11-13-2008 10:58 AM

Nice truck.

Hoods69BadBowTie 11-13-2008 05:04 PM

Truck looks great man. I like the way it turned out. Keep up the good work bud!

87Lowrider 11-13-2008 09:33 PM

Thanks again!!

I'm ready for a spring rod run... any takers???

Kenny

87Lowrider 12-29-2008 10:12 PM

Here's a short vid of the truck idling. I shot it this morning while I was warming it up before work. I use it to deliver computers!!

Kenny

Str8Ugly 12-30-2008 09:46 PM

did u use the stock 350 mounts? what im talking about are the ones that bolt to the frame and the engine cross member where the motor bushings bolt to. i have a 454 in my dually and im looking to put a 350 in it.. can i do this buy just buying the rubber mount?

87Lowrider 12-30-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8Ugly (Post 3056249)
did u use the stock 350 mounts? what im talking about are the ones that bolt to the frame and the engine cross member where the motor bushings bolt to. i have a 454 in my dually and im looking to put a 350 in it.. can i do this buy just buying the rubber mount?

yes.

I bought new 454 mounts for the frame.. and the cups on the engin fit perfectly on them.. so, the sbc and bbc mounts are the same size.

Kenny

PickWick 12-31-2008 12:08 PM

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...PA230459-1.jpg

circled places are what im talking about.. did u have to buy new them(mine are already off) or did u just have to buy new rubber mounts and mounts on the engine

87Lowrider 12-31-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PickWick (Post 3057593)
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...PA230459-1.jpg

circled places are what im talking about.. did u have to buy new them(mine are already off) or did u just have to buy new rubber mounts and mounts on the engine

Sorry, I mis-understood you... I used the ones that were already on the '87 and just bolted new mounts on to them. The cups bolted to the engine slid down over them perfectly.

Kenny