The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help with wiring stock temperature and vacuum gauges (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333575)

Tynee 03-23-2010 05:10 PM

Re: Need help with wiring stock temperature and vacuum gauges

I bet you drove all the way home staring at the temp gauge...

Green Monster 03-23-2010 11:23 PM

Yeah... that's funny. One eye was staring at the temperature gauge and the other staring at the vacuum gauge. I was concerned about the temperature. The needle rests dead center. Jim even called me to check in with me to see how the gauge worked. I'm happy with the gauges. I just need a little help finding the wires to rig up the amperage gauge and all the gauges will be up and running.

jaros44sr 03-24-2010 03:41 PM

Your welcome , but you did all the work:mm::lol:

That truck of yours is a time capsule, pictures don't do it justice! I was afraid to touch it...

Next step before the amp, let's do the fuel filter fitting, I would feel better having that situation corrected. Amp shouldn't take more then a few moments

Right after Easter good for you? I have a fishing trip this weekend

Hey, it was great to finally meet you, had fun! We'll do a cruise soon

EFI70Blazer 03-25-2010 10:18 PM

I went through this process when i bought my Blazer. Basically had to redo the wiring from the firewall out with connectors like the one below to make it look like factory again. Also had to fix a lot of my under dash wiring too. Everything works now, but it took a lot of work tracing out the wire and making it good again.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/DSC00006.jpg

Here is a shot of how i routed my temp sensor wire. Basically goes along the intake connects to the water pump and goes back from there. Did not have any of the asphalt loom, so i substitued the split loom.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/DSC00024.jpg

jaros44sr 03-25-2010 10:50 PM

Hey Mike, great pics!! Is that a quadrajet, sorta looks like it...GM and I need some help with the wiring of the solnoids and vacuum lines. Could you take some more specific pics for us

I got my wire loom from M&H Fabricators

EFI70Blazer 03-27-2010 01:59 PM

If you let me know what pics you need i can see what i can do. Not sure i can help with the vacuum lines, because none of mine are hooked up right now. I need to go through my A/C unit and get everything hooked back up on it when i get parts for it.

By the way, my carb in a quadrajet. Always been a fan of them, because once you get them set you never have to mess with them again.

Green Monster 03-29-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3879571)

Next step before the amp, let's do the fuel filter fitting, I would feel better having that situation corrected. Amp shouldn't take more then a few moments

Right after Easter good for you? I have a fishing trip this weekend

I would like to resolve the fuel line and amp issues sooner than later. I appreciate the offer. After Easter is perfect. You pick the weekend. As long as the weather is good and my event coordinator (wife) does not have anything planned then I'm in.

jaros44sr 03-30-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFI70Blazer (Post 3885174)
If you let me know what pics you need i can see what i can do. Not sure i can help with the vacuum lines, because none of mine are hooked up right now. I need to go through my A/C unit and get everything hooked back up on it when i get parts for it.

By the way, my carb in a quadrajet. Always been a fan of them, because once you get them set you never have to mess with them again.

Well, that answers one of my questions! If I don't need the vacuum lines hooked up, I should be good to go. Our problem is the solenoid in the front of the carb, neither one of us has a wire to go to it. My thoughts were that the pink wire off of the electric choke could be jumped to the solnoid. Any input would be great

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 3889725)
I would like to resolve the fuel line and amp issues sooner than later. I appreciate the offer. After Easter is perfect. You pick the weekend. As long as the weather is good and my event coordinator (wife) does not have anything planned then I'm in.

Maybe the first weekend after Easter...lmk

Hey, keep that core sterile and aceptic:lol:

Green Monster 03-31-2010 04:32 PM

April 10th or 11th?

jaros44sr 03-31-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 3893205)
April 10th or 11th?

you pick,lmk

EFI70Blazer 04-01-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3890294)
Well, that answers one of my questions! If I don't need the vacuum lines hooked up, I should be good to go. Our problem is the solenoid in the front of the carb, neither one of us has a wire to go to it. My thoughts were that the pink wire off of the electric choke could be jumped to the solnoid. Any input would be great

Not sure what solenoid the carb has. Could you take a picture of it, so i can see what it is? I did look in my assembly manual and found a diagram that might help. It has two wires going to the carb to a switch. One is orange and the other is pink. I can try to scan it if that will help you.

jaros44sr 04-01-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFI70Blazer (Post 3894181)
Not sure what solenoid the carb has. Could you take a picture of it, so i can see what it is? I did look in my assembly manual and found a diagram that might help. It has two wires going to the carb to a switch. One is orange and the other is pink. I can try to scan it if that will help you.

Thanks Mike for taking the time, I'll try to track down the orange wire. Give me alittle time to take a pic

badpeanut 04-13-2010 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like your setup. Can you clarify what you used (items A, B, C, and D)?

A Vacuum gauge. Male pipe thread? Male compression thread? 1/8" diameter? 1/4" diameter?
B Adapter. Female on both ends?
C Barb fitting.
D 1/4" vacuum line.

Green Monster 04-15-2010 04:12 PM

It's actually three parts there. I did use 1/4" vacuum hose. I'll check the package for the two brass fittings to give you the exact part sizes. I bought them from Home Depot so you should be able to get your hands on them pretty easily.

jaros44sr 04-16-2010 01:19 AM

John, is your engine grounded to the frame and is your radiator core support grounded to the frame???

Tbruz 04-17-2010 12:40 PM

Love the Green Monster. My dash looks unfinished without the vacuum gauge.
Where do we get them?
Were these vacuum gauges available as factory options, dealer installed options or retrofitted from other GM products?
Thanks,
Tbruz

capev86 04-18-2010 01:06 PM

the vacuum gauge was a rare factory option on the 67-72 trucks. that is why there is a blank opening in the dash cluster between the steering column and oil pressure gauge. there is an aftermarket retrofit kit available from several vendors. it requires the clear plastic lens w/ the word vacuum instead of a faux imgage, the inner bezel with the half moon punched out for the gauge to be visible and the back panel where the oil and vac sending units come out as well as other bits. the tach is taken into account 'cause anyone would want a tach also and it always came with the tach option also so the cutouts in the bezels and tach numbers on the clear lens are there. only problem is you don't get the a sending unit.

my home depot did not have the parts, but a local auto parts store should be able to supply you with brass-tite 43050 (1/8" npt female/ 1/8" npt female coupling) and brass-tite 43276 (1/8" npt male to 1/4" hose). i may have to replace the straight coupling with a 90 degree one on my 72 burb because part of the manual trans swing arm (3 on the tree) is right behind the vac gauge.

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSC01781.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSC01784.jpg[/IMG]

Jcjarvis 07-10-2018 07:51 PM

Hey guys! I'm kind of late to this party but I'm a bit perplexed. I'm restoring a '69 and I'm sorting out the wiring with the help of a factory diagram (all wiring was disconnected and gauge cluster removed when I got the truck).
On my temp gauge wiring, I've located the dark green wire in engine bay that goes to the sensor. Under dash I've also located dark green wire to gauge cluster harness connector. Unfortunately there are no dark green wires going to ignition switch nor are there any dark green cut wires anywhere that would have gone to ign switch.... I've undone the entire harness.
So where should this mia wire be going exactly from the ign switch? This truck may have had an idiot light cluster originally but I'm using a gauge cluster so different wiring possibly? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Jim

87Skier 07-11-2018 06:52 PM

Really bringing a thread back form the dead!

I recommend testing continuity on the wire from the cluster to the sender. It isn't necessary to switch the Dark Green wire since the gauge requires a 12v switched power source. If there is continuity and you have 12 volts you are good to go.

Jcjarvis 07-11-2018 11:28 PM

Thanks, I’ll test the sensor wire. I’m thinking I might have gotten a bad sensor, I hear it’s not uncommon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jcjarvis 07-12-2018 04:00 PM

Got 12 volts to switch with ign on so must be switch.
Posted via Mobile Device