The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Black Hills blazer build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342299)

turp mcspray 12-12-2009 09:23 PM

Re: New member from the Black Hills

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the double post. It's been so long since I've posted pics, I'm having a hard time remembering how to do it!
I'm also adding a traction bar to try and control axle wrap a bit.
I notched the frame rails a bit for the headers. I also decided to use the 73 up shifter linkage, as it will be easier to install, since moving the engine forward put the pivot point right where the cast shackle bracket is rivited to the frame rail.
I still have to fab something to attach the traction bar to, coming from the frame.

turp mcspray 12-12-2009 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here are a couple more.
Once I get everything mocked up,modified etc., my plan is to blow it back apart so I can sandblast and paint. I better get out the heat lamp and miracle grow so my money plants start producing. I'll need to buy new brake and fuel lines,cross over steering parts etc, not to mention getting started on my engine. Grow money plants grow! LOL!

swyfor5 12-12-2009 10:35 PM

Nice! Been watering my plants, but they just aren't growing! Guess we just have to keep trying!

bouncytruck 12-12-2009 11:31 PM

Looks like you had to take a bite out of the frame to clear the headers.

70gmcjimmy 12-13-2009 06:38 PM

Hey Scott, looking good! you're sure gettin' a lot done on MY Blazer---- it says so right on those headers! LOL. Gimme a call when you git 'er done fer me!

Later---DAC

turp mcspray 12-15-2009 12:22 PM

I met a guy last summer with a 72 4wd long bed. He put a 502 in his truck with manifolds. I think he moved his engine ahead a little farther than I moved mine. He had to trim his passenger side frame rail for the manifold as well. I had to trim the left side on mine to, but only for one tube. I know a lot of guys don't want anything to do with such mods, but it didn't bother me one bit. I'm in the "headers are a must have camp" LOL!

jaros44sr 12-15-2009 01:08 PM

Got a question for ya...since you remove metal from the frame, does it have to have a stiffener plate added? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I watched a guy bend his frame at that location, but he really hammered it to get over a log

Looks like you do really quality work, hurry up and work on it so I have something to read:lol:

Nice mod on the shift linkage!

turp mcspray 12-15-2009 03:08 PM

Personally, I don't think I removed enough to cause a problem. I'm not going to be jumping it or anything, HAHA! so I'm not too concerned

vtblazer 12-15-2009 06:13 PM

If you plans include wheeling much, maybe a cable shifter would work better for you?

Lokar makes a nice kit that replaces all the factory hard linkages and bolts directly to the stock steering column.

turp mcspray 12-15-2009 10:06 PM

I'll still take it out in the woods, but I will probably shy away from the rocks that I used to crawl. I plan to paint this Blazer and keep it forever. (yeah I know...famous last words) I usually don't sell anything. The rocks were fun for awhile. But with a fullsize rig, you just about have to either replace the body every couple of years, or slowly evolve to a buggy type of rig. Neither of which I want to do. With this build I kind of of have the same mindset as you VT. A somewhat capable, do it all kind of rig, that will be driveable every day. The reason for using the newer shift linkage was simply the simplicity of it. I had it laying here from a truck I parted out this past summer. It was one less thing I had to fab or buy. Sometimes we all forget to "keep it simple" HaHa! I am aware of Lokar. But I appreciate you offering the info. How's your blazer coming along?

Brandoneh 05-17-2010 03:24 PM

What are the specs on those headers? I'm looking for a set for my 71.

turp mcspray 05-17-2010 09:16 PM

The headers are "doug thorley". I believe they are 1 3/4" tubes. They are a "tri-y" style of header. Designed to maximize torque in the lowend and midrange rpm range. They are very well built with heavy gauge tubes and thick flanges. With a heavy blazer and 35" tires, I don't care if my engines powerband shutsdown at 5000rpm. I am after as much lowend and midrange torque as I can squeeze out of my 454. I would like to be able to drive my blazer on a regular basis, and not be in the single digits for milage. We'll see how that pans out. LOL!

chevyblazer 05-20-2010 01:16 AM

nice blazer man and welcome do a lot crawling

Brandoneh 05-20-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3982382)
The headers are "doug thorley". I believe they are 1 3/4" tubes. They are a "tri-y" style of header. Designed to maximize torque in the lowend and midrange rpm range. They are very well built with heavy gauge tubes and thick flanges. With a heavy blazer and 35" tires, I don't care if my engines powerband shutsdown at 5000rpm. I am after as much lowend and midrange torque as I can squeeze out of my 454. I would like to be able to drive my blazer on a regular basis, and not be in the single digits for milage. We'll see how that pans out. LOL!

Thanks for the info. Any idea on a part number? I'm trying to make a list on what works!

Exhaust looks sweet! Very well done!

turp mcspray 05-20-2010 09:35 PM

I don't remember the # off hand. I think they are listed as 2wd pickup. FYI...I DID have to clearance the frame rails to make them fit nice. If that sort of thing makes you squeemish you will have to keep searching! I have found, that in the world of aftermarket parts, there isn't much out there, that comes out of the box, and bolts right on.

Brandoneh 05-21-2010 01:05 AM

I hear that man. I'm ready to chop away! :devil::devil:

thor 06-03-2011 06:39 PM

one year checkup?

turp mcspray 06-03-2011 09:25 PM

Holy crap, has it been that long already?!!! I have made some progress. The chassis is painted, springs and cross members installed, brake and fuel lines installed. I have my receiver hitch and gas tank skid plate painted and ready to install. I need to purchase my crossover steering parts, and have the knuckle machined. I want to get my front axle finished, painted, and installed. Next step is engine, trans, and transfer case. Time to sell some of my NOS stash so I can buy more parts. LOL! I have been extremely busy with my shop. I am currently doing a frame off restoration on a loaded 72 2wd Blazer, and on a 72 super 4x4, shortbox. They keep me thinking about mine, but I just haven't had the time. I have been wanting to post some pics of both, but never seem to make it happen. I will try to post some pics of all three. I can't believe how fast time flies by! Thanks for posting on my project. I WILL post some pics soon.

rsavage 06-04-2011 11:24 PM

Turp,
I'm on a round the country trip and I was fortunate enough to spend 4 days in your neck of the woods. You live in some of the most beautiful country I have seen, Visited Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Sturgis. Custer State Park, etc. You are a lucky man.

71swb4x4 06-04-2011 11:26 PM

Turp, we need some pictures of your customers' vehicles. Sounds like a fun shop you have.

turp mcspray 06-06-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 4718232)
Turp,
I'm on a round the country trip and I was fortunate enough to spend 4 days in your neck of the woods. You live in some of the most beautiful country I have seen, Visited Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Sturgis. Custer State Park, etc. You are a lucky man.

Glad you had fun! If you could see some of the out of the way places that only locals know about, you would never want to leave! It is a very beautiful place to be. I moved away twice in my life, and I will NEVER do it again! LOL!

thor 06-09-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 4716221)
Holy crap, has it been that long already?!!! I have made some progress. The chassis is painted, springs and cross members installed, brake and fuel lines installed. I have my receiver hitch and gas tank skid plate painted and ready to install. I need to purchase my crossover steering parts, and have the knuckle machined. I want to get my front axle finished, painted, and installed. Next step is engine, trans, and transfer case. Time to sell some of my NOS stash so I can buy more parts. LOL! I have been extremely busy with my shop. I am currently doing a frame off restoration on a loaded 72 2wd Blazer, and on a 72 super 4x4, shortbox. They keep me thinking about mine, but I just haven't had the time. I have been wanting to post some pics of both, but never seem to make it happen. I will try to post some pics of all three. I can't believe how fast time flies by! Thanks for posting on my project. I WILL post some pics soon.

Cool man. Glad to hear you are still turning wrenches on it. Nice to see others wheeling their blazers too!

turp mcspray 10-14-2011 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few long overdo pics. I haven't had time to work on it for 6 or 7 months. I decided it was time to start again, a couple of weeks ago. I have all of my crossover steering parts bought. I am planning on painting the front axle, and other misc. parts tomorrow, so I can get the front end back together next.

turp mcspray 10-14-2011 08:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Oops, copied the wrong pic. Here are a few more.

turp mcspray 01-15-2012 01:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pics. Progress has been slower than I would like.