The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds 88-98 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Project Tahoe on a Budget (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=353050)

69face 11-17-2009 02:27 AM

Re: Well I am part of you guys now..

3 Attachment(s)
i have never been the envious type, but i am so jealous right now. I got my tahoe for 2k more than yours and i thought it was a deal.I'm 6k into it and can't bare to spend anymore until i find those special shoes. Your tahoe looks amazing and judging my the quality of your 78' I only expect it to be top notch once you get to spend. great score!Attachment 514906

Attachment 514907

Attachment 514908

tvblazer78 11-17-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69face (Post 3624356)
i have never been the envious type, but i am so jealous right now. I got my tahoe for 2k more than yours and i thought it was a deal.I'm 6k into it and can't bare to spend anymore until i find those special shoes. Your tahoe looks amazing and judging my the quality of your 78' I only expect it to be top notch once you get to spend. great score!Attachment 514906

Attachment 514907

Attachment 514908

That is a good looking ride, I have always like that blue!

You came out good with that one too, I was just in the right place at the right time for mine.

Thanks,
Trav

JohnC 11-17-2009 10:53 AM

Looks good man. Those 2 door tahoes always look good. You can do so little to make them look even better. Keep it up.

Also how did your thread become a sticky?

k5hart 11-20-2009 04:23 PM

Re: Project Tahoe on a Budget

Man that looks great. I really want to do a GMC grill on my truck. Did you have to swap headlights to make it work? Or is it just the grill and filler panels?

60ratrod 11-20-2009 06:46 PM

if i remember correctly if you have the long dual bulb headlights then it should just be the gmc grill and fillers. otherwise you'll have to find the square single bulb grill and fillers

tvblazer78 11-21-2009 04:42 AM

Did not have to change a thing, to make a GMC grille fit my 96.

watahyahknow 11-21-2009 07:22 AM

subscribed

lolife99 11-21-2009 08:08 AM

tvblazer78,...
how are you lowering the back?
Flip kit and a notch?
I would love to have one of these for a daily driver.

tvblazer78 11-21-2009 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3631433)
tvblazer78,...
how are you lowering the back?
Flip kit and a notch?
I would love to have one of these for a daily driver.

Yep using a DJM flip kit, that I found on ebay for $82 shipped to me. A shipping place like UPS had it in lost and found, New it's over $380.

They say to use the hangers that it comes with to lifts the back up 2" after the flip. I am not all about that I would like to get 6" out of it. Here is a pic of the kit.

And for the front I have 2" belltech springs that are new that I found for $89 on ebay. I did have to buy the spindles new, but I have a buddy that gave them to me for cost. And just this morning I found the stylin trucks sent me a mag with all shocks 20% off So I have all 4 Toxic shocks coming to me now.

I have about $450 in a 4-6 drop and that is very good for all new parts. If I did not take my time and find things off ebay I would be in it over $800 right now with out my shocks. So it pays off to take your time looking for this stuff.

watahyahknow 11-21-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60ratrod (Post 3476961)
(hisses and attempts to use a sinister voice for diabolical monolog) you'll never rid this world of running boards and fender flares.........soon there'll be a ricer on every street with exhaust systems making them sound like pissed off over grown weed eaters!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol::lol::lol:

hey, to each their own i guess. i kinda like the flares and running boards on my truck, but i guess i would have to see it before i like it

DISCLAIMER: i hate those friggen pissed off over grown weed eaters. there's a couple that fly down the street that i live off of here. i would love to toss out a spike strip when they do.

you prolly dont understand a word of it but you get his drift

texasfunk 11-22-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69face (Post 3624356)

Attachment 514907

Attachment 514908

hey tv, great score! dont mean to get off subject, but any info on them wheels in the third pic of tht blue 2door?

72BlckButy 11-23-2009 09:48 AM

Awesome score on the Blazer Travis, that is one good looking DD.

tvblazer78 11-23-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3634504)
Awesome score on the Blazer Travis, that is one good looking DD.

It would be a nice DD, but I told my wife I would stop trash pickup if she would let me buy this and it will be my trash truck!:lol: I have to drive way to much for work and plus I have a STS that rides way to good..;)

68 TT 11-23-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3476615)
:haha:

we should join our evil forces and use it to rid the world of fender flares and running boards :devil:

I hate the look of the running boards too but my little girls use them to get in & out of the Tahoe.

Maybe when the girls are taller I can finally take them off.

watahyahknow 11-23-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 3634751)
I hate the look of the running boards too but my little girls use them to get in & out of the Tahoe.

Maybe when the girls are taller I can finally take them off.

i've seen these real nice steps a while back they fold under the truck when the door closes , bit too mush for a older truck but it would look a lot better an a new truck thats raised

blazn79 11-25-2009 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trav, nice score on the Tahoe Man, here's a pic of my 97' 2dr 2wd Yukon that I sold Sept. 08 to buy land and fund my 79' 2wd blazer project.

NOTE: when you drop the rear 6 inches you'll have to trim the lip off
the frame support thats above the diff. for clearance!

And I suggest if you want a 6" drop don't change the hangers and just do a regular flip with the (perches, supplied plates, shock extenders, u-bolts, shocks and c-notch) I had to get new stock hangers from the GM dealer when I bought mine cuz it had those lifting hangers on it from whoeva flipped the rearend before I bought it which gave it a 4" drop, so when I put the stock ones in that gave it a 6" drop and I just added the shock extenders new belltech nitros and bought the DJM c-notch by it-self!

In this pic I had 3" DJM coils w/ 2" belltech spindles for a 5" drop which
would cause the tire to rub on the inside of the inner fender on a good bump,
I had to put the 2" coils back in when sold it!

I do plan on getting it back when the guy who bought it decides to sell it!

Attachment 517542

BLAZN79:chevy:FOR LIFE!

watahyahknow 11-25-2009 09:19 PM

i like the wheels and the fronspoiler on it ..... those where the frontlights and indicatorlights i was talking about too

menace121978 11-26-2009 02:00 AM

Sick!

blazn79 11-26-2009 10:59 AM

I had clear corners w/ orange bulbs, crystal clear parking lamps w/ orange bulbs and projector headlights in that pic, also I had a stock plastic airdam
which is the best looking in my opinion for a clean look!

The rollers were 20X8.5 BOSS 304 super finish, which was a combo of polished face and lip w/ gray painted finish in the lug coves and inside edges,
I couldn't find a nicer wheel for the money back in 04' I believe I paid $750
shipped from Big Jims Rims in Texas to my door in Mass.

Definitally look for BOSS wheels on ebay, the 338 is a great looking wheel
and there's a place in Miami selling 20x8.5's in gunmetal finish or black for $638.00 plus shipping.

tvblazer78 11-26-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazn79 (Post 3639558)
Trav, nice score on the Tahoe Man, here's a pic of my 97' 2dr 2wd Yukon that I sold Sept. 08 to buy land and fund my 79' 2wd blazer project.

NOTE: when you drop the rear 6 inches you'll have to trim the lip off
the frame support thats above the diff. for clearance!

And I suggest if you want a 6" drop don't change the hangers and just do a regular flip with the (perches, supplied plates, shock extenders, u-bolts, shocks and c-notch) I had to get new stock hangers from the GM dealer when I bought mine cuz it had those lifting hangers on it from whoeva flipped the rearend before I bought it which gave it a 4" drop, so when I put the stock ones in that gave it a 6" drop and I just added the shock extenders new belltech nitros and bought the DJM c-notch by it-self!

In this pic I had 3" DJM coils w/ 2" belltech spindles for a 5" drop which
would cause the tire to rub on the inside of the inner fender on a good bump,
I had to put the 2" coils back in when sold it!

I do plan on getting it back when the guy who bought it decides to sell it!

Attachment 517542

BLAZN79:chevy:FOR LIFE!

Thanks for the info, I have the same thing as you, but I have 2" springs up front. And I did not about the frame support thats above the diff. Thanks for that info..

And that thing looks sweet! Did you have to use a spacer for the front wheels at all? I did not know if the hub was to big for the wheel or what.

Trav

blazn79 11-26-2009 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Trav, I wish I still had it, no spacer on the front hubs, just aftermarket crossdrilled rotors factory diameter and I ran Falken 245-40-20s up front w/ no problems w/ the 4" drop
only some rubbing when it had the 5" drop!

Here's some pics w/ the 4" drop up front and before it had the 2-tone paint job! color is Dark Brandywine metallic!

Attachment 517695

menace121978 11-26-2009 01:14 PM

dang that is bad! perfect daily driver!!

blazn79 11-26-2009 01:24 PM

Ya it was, I wish I drove it more often I only put 6000 miles on it in 5 years
and by the 5th year I had to replace the lifters because I didn't drive it enough!

tvblazer78 11-26-2009 10:57 PM

Well that just made my mind up on the head lights. I was looking at the same ones and could not find anyone running them, but you have them and I like them. And I like the way it sits too. Sweet ride.

Thanks,
Trav

5150 11-27-2009 01:09 PM

Travis, I want your old front end parts, headlight, grille, etc.