The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384390)

OARNGESI 02-09-2010 07:03 AM

Re: Project "SWISS CHEESE" the 68 Camaro

Wow never seen one that far apart with the intentions of driving it again

LEEVON 02-09-2010 06:03 PM

"My Daddy can lift a car!...NO, REALLY!"

nuke1 02-10-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GMCor70Chevy (Post 3787114)
So that was the one that went for $1200 in the salvage auction? There is another first gen on there now but I would bet the guy wants way more than he should......

You bet ti was, gone 1/2 hour after i emailed him. I was curious also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 3787360)
Hopefully it won't come back with more holes :lol: :D

I had a long talk with my uncle that lives near me down here today, and he may be able to haul my 'bird down for me this summer/fall :D

I am hoping also, no more holes. I hope you can get that down there also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 3787465)
wow man. you have balls the size of basketballs taking on a project like that. I can't wait to see how this build goes. What's the final plan? restore it? pro-tour it?

THANKS! Final plan for this car will be a really nice driver, That is it. Blue and silver stripes, I believe that new subuaru blue. with a rocking stereo, 396 and a th35o. Rear is a 3.42 posi. Be a nice driver for him and his family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OARNGESI (Post 3789649)
Wow never seen one that far apart with the intentions of driving it again

Nothing like getting NAKED for the shot. Do not worry, she will get covered up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 3790533)
"My Daddy can lift a car!...NO, REALLY!"

That is pretty much what his kid said, it was hilarious.

OARNGESI 02-18-2010 12:09 AM

Find out whats left yet

mcbassin 02-18-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OARNGESI (Post 3808262)
Find out whats left yet

I'm interested to see if you can lift it with one hand tied behind your back when it comes back from the blaster?

nuke1 09-12-2010 10:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I'M BACK!!!!! In my downtime I have started on her again, got a frame jig made for the car and started on the mounting points and I am gonna build the car from the ground up from here on out. Here is a few pics for now.

mcbassin 09-12-2010 02:36 PM

James,
I like the frame fixture! I wondered if the owner decided to pass on building this one. Keep at it!:metal:

67ChevyRedneck 09-12-2010 04:06 PM

I'll be following closely... I'll be cutting up my pile this winter :D

LEEVON 09-12-2010 09:10 PM

You've probably seen this but in case you need a little inspiration!

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=686

OARNGESI 09-13-2010 07:41 AM

Glad to see something was left after being blasted

nuke1 10-26-2011 04:30 PM

Updates to start soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcbassin 10-26-2011 05:09 PM

Wow, hard to believe a whole year past on this one. Come on buddy!

FRENCHBLUE72 10-26-2011 08:03 PM

I cant wait.....

Dieselwrencher 10-26-2011 09:03 PM

Wow, you sure do have your work cut out for your self once again! You must work cheap. Hurry up and get this one done. I have a GS400 convertible you can do for me next. :lol:

nuke1 10-27-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4975051)
Wow, hard to believe a whole year past on this one. Come on buddy!

Trust me I KNOW!!!!!!!!! oops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 4975314)
I cant wait.....

I want to! hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4975441)
Wow, you sure do have your work cut out for your self once again! You must work cheap. Hurry up and get this one done. I have a GS400 convertible you can do for me next. :lol:

Cheap, maybe only to certain ppl, but not really! A GS 400. hmmm. would love to:metal:

Dieselwrencher 10-27-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 4975881)
Cheap, maybe only to certain ppl, but not really! A GS 400. hmmm. would love to:metal:

I'll have to show you some pics. I'm going to try and get it half way restored and in a drivable condition by June.

JHT67 11-02-2011 09:20 PM

More NUKE1 :bann:yeesss:metal:

And I do believe I hear the masses cheering

NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE !!!!!

C-10 simplex 11-03-2011 11:48 AM

1) You probably already, in a way, answered my question, but i was wondering with 67-69 maros, does the roof (in other words A and C pillars) come off as "naturally" as say the quarter panels?

Or is the "tub" generally designed to pretty much stay together as one piece? Obviously, and as shown by the floor replacement, anything can be cut out and re-welded in. But on most cars, there is a clear and definite seam where the quarter panels are welded to the body. (or are there?)

2) As a suggestion to projects of this magnitude(not nessesarily this one, but projects like it), a tube frame could be made and given to it. (This suggestion actually ties in with my question above.)

This would probably save time, energy, and money---if you can live with the rust. It would probably not come out as nice, but it would get you rolling much faster(possibly) and still be structurally safe.

nuke1 11-06-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4976838)
I'll have to show you some pics. I'm going to try and get it half way restored and in a drivable condition by June.

I like pics, and would Love to see some!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHT67 (Post 4987679)
More NUKE1 :bann:yeesss:metal:

And I do believe I hear the masses cheering

NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE !!!!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! :metal::metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-10 simplex (Post 4988557)
1) You probably already, in a way, answered my question, but i was wondering with 67-69 maros, does the roof (in other words A and C pillars) come off as "naturally" as say the quarter panels?

Or is the "tub" generally designed to pretty much stay together as one piece? Obviously, and as shown by the floor replacement, anything can be cut out and re-welded in. But on most cars, there is a clear and definite seam where the quarter panels are welded to the body. (or are there?)

2) As a suggestion to projects of this magnitude(not nessesarily this one, but projects like it), a tube frame could be made and given to it. (This suggestion actually ties in with my question above.)

This would probably save time, energy, and money---if you can live with the rust. It would probably not come out as nice, but it would get you rolling much faster(possibly) and still be structurally safe.

I took a bumch of pics just for you, If a person just wanted to shop, and reweld you can, but I am not responsible for the structurtal loss that this causes, in order to section a pillar properly one must layer the cuts. in other words, each section cut at a different spot. Then a fishp[late should go behind and spotted through then welded. more complex than most ppl think. I am a frim believer in doing it right. You will see in the pics how complex it is actually to section.

nuke1 11-06-2011 10:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
SOOOOO!!!!!!! After a long hiatus I am back to work on Good ol' SWISS!! I first got he floor all squared up and then screwed and tacked in place. Bottom end ready to roll. Then I started looking at the skeleton and cringed hard. Sent shivers up my back and back down again. I stared at her for a bit and worked out a game plan. Time for action!!! First was to knock off all of the excess bits and pieces here and there on the shell. My trusty Mac air hammer helped out there. Then I ground down all of the spot welds and cleaned it up a bit. I really want to blast the shell now. we will see. I have a bit of a time line for myself. May jsut clean it up a bit. Up to the owner however.

nuke1 11-06-2011 11:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of what I am up against!! SCARED YET!!

mcbassin 11-06-2011 11:03 PM

Wow! not much left of the original metal. I will have a ton of questions when I get on my next project (68 camaro). I'm certain it will end up looking like swiss cheese too when I get done blasting it. What kind of primer do you recommend when it is blasted? some kind of epoxy or self etching?

nuke1 11-06-2011 11:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
fEW MORE!

nuke1 11-06-2011 11:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
C-10 simplex , Here is some pics for you to look at and figure out what you actually think of the frt pillar. It is totally doable, just takes time. the rear pillar is much easier.

nuke1 11-06-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4994824)
Wow! not much left of the original metal. I will have a ton of questions when I get on my next project (68 camaro). I'm certain it will end up looking like swiss cheese too when I get done blasting it. What kind of primer do you recommend when it is blasted? some kind of epoxy or self etching?

Not a whole lot is right. Ask away, I will answer the best I can. And the best primer is EPOXY! you can do your mud work right over it if you scratch the paint with 120grit. Done and done.