The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426382)

pickup67man 10-19-2010 06:28 PM

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

I like the crew cab idea but I already have trucks. I am trying the 4 door suburban idea. Looks like you have helpers for your project. Hope my daughter wants to help when she is older. She is 2 1/2 right now and doesn't like dirty hands. I'll be watching your build.

drewskiren 10-19-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 4249379)
I like the crew cab idea but I already have trucks. I am trying the 4 door suburban idea. Looks like you have helpers for your project. Hope my daughter wants to help when she is older. She is 2 1/2 right now and doesn't like dirty hands. I'll be watching your build.

Travis,
Just read your build, great work. Can I cut the 4th door section out of your burb????

68 TT 10-20-2010 12:18 PM

You have me thinking impure thoughts about my neighbors Suburban.

Great project. Can't wait to see it done.

drewskiren 10-20-2010 05:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Next up is a trial fit. First I was going to use the floor of the truck cab also, but when I got to cutting on the Burb I found a nice steel plate in the spot I was going to have to build a kick up. It already is raised 6 inches, so I'll just use that and lop off the truck cab bottom. So far it looks like it will fit. Notice I had left everything long to decide later how best to mate each item. The pass side is easy because both vehicles wrap their quarters onto the jamb. I simply drilled out the welds on both and wrapped the cab corner like the factory did. I kept the blue drivers jamb side just in case I decide in a few years I am ready to tackle the 4th door option. It'll give me something to do on the truck after I'm finished and start to get bored. I also have seen plenty of unfinished projects for sale because the guy just gets overwhelmed. I'm going to try and avoid that!

VA72C10 10-20-2010 06:33 PM

Looking good!

68 TT 10-20-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewskiren (Post 4251113)
....I kept the blue drivers jamb side just in case I decide in a few years I am ready to tackle the 4th door option. It'll give me something to do on the truck after I'm finished and start to get bored. I also have seen plenty of unfinished projects for sale because the guy just gets overwhelmed. I'm going to try and avoid that!

Wise choice. No need to get bogged down with two major projects all at once. Just creating the quad cab is a big enough project but adding in creating the 4th door setup at the same time is likely to be overwhelming.

Like you said, you can always go back after the truck is on the road and do the work to install the 4th door.

sourkraut 10-20-2010 08:34 PM

very cool build!

76kcfdeng 10-20-2010 08:50 PM

Awesome work! I don't think I could get through what your doing without giving up and selling it. I love crewcabs, :metal: I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
glen

extremesounds13 10-20-2010 11:43 PM

Great work! It's cool seeing it coming along.

67chevylongbed 10-20-2010 11:51 PM

Cool build, looking great so far!

pickup67man 10-21-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewskiren (Post 4249672)
Travis,
Just read your build, great work. Can I cut the 4th door section out of your burb????

Well it would be easy to cut out. Its not fully welded in yet.:lol:

Yours would be best to finish the cab first to set your dimensions. Then if you still want to put the door in it would be easy to copy the other side.

drewskiren 10-22-2010 09:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Remember what I said about leaving it long and make the final close cut later, yeah well the rear panel bottom edge was a close one. I think I've got 3/8ths to trim here.
See where the passenger quarter wraps the jamb? This makes it so easy to align and plug weld my drill outs.

If you're wondering, the plastic hanging is just to keep the rest of the garage a little less dusty when sanding/bodywork.

FRENCHBLUE72 10-22-2010 10:18 AM

Dude you are really moving on this project..

69CST-V 10-22-2010 10:24 AM

NICE work. I'm hooked. You make it look so easy.

sparkydog 10-22-2010 10:41 AM

Great project and you are going at it the right way! It is weird that we have the same color combo going on our projects - just different ratios. I have a lot of blue, some white and a little patch of yellow!

Your MIG is about to get a nice workout!

suville 10-22-2010 10:51 AM

Heres a slide show of one built here in Meridian Idaho by Mark at Ace, hope it works not real confusor savvy.
http://www.aceautocustoms.com/curren...evy-truck.html

drewskiren 10-22-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suville (Post 4254168)
Heres a slide show of one built here in Meridian Idaho by Mark at Ace, hope it works not real confusor savvy.
http://www.aceautocustoms.com/curren...evy-truck.html

That is fantastic!!! Thanks for the link.

drewskiren 10-23-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkydog (Post 4254157)
Great project and you are going at it the right way! It is weird that we have the same color combo going on our projects - just different ratios. I have a lot of blue, some white and a little patch of yellow!

Your MIG is about to get a nice workout!

All I have to say is WOW. Like you, this is my first real welding job, I hope I improve along the way like you have.
Apparently we think alike with the modern drivetrain ideas, I won't be taking it as far as firewall and floor removal though.

drewskiren 10-23-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 4254134)
Dude you are really moving on this project..

Frenchie,

I have done all this work between Easter and May30th, about 8 weeks. I stopped for the summer. I am still getting everyone up to speed but I'll give you a hint, It looks reeeeally good now.

drewskiren 10-23-2010 02:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The first pic is how my cab back simply sits on the burb kick up plate. This works so well.
I have seen other guys bracing everywhere before they cut stuff apart, but I didn't bother. I had measured before and knew I would be making minor width adjustments anyway, so why fool with it. Once I got the rear of the burb cut away I realized how much of a waste of time braces would have been. The structure was still rock solid and it took considerable effort to tweak it into shape. I had to use a porta power ram to spread the cab back slightly and ratchet straps to pull the burb in. The straps were so tight I could have played a tune by strumming them.

drewskiren 10-23-2010 02:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Need to cut off the square door top on the third door, later.
Took a break from brain surgery and did a simple skin graft on the rusty floor spot. Everybody has seen this detailed before, so I won't really go into it.

drewskiren 10-23-2010 02:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OH YEAH, now we are cookin. Tons of measuring and even more eyeballing have me ready to commit. Time to put the scalpel away and start sewing this monster up.

ksbrktracer 10-23-2010 06:33 PM

I really like the way you are doing this one ...... Some really good ideas and it really looks like it's gonna pay choosing to start with such a good base vehicle ..... gonna save a ton of work not having to fix rust ! IMO you need to do the 4th door but I do see the value in waiting and getting the bigger project done, NICE work.

classicchev 10-23-2010 07:18 PM

I agree, a must on the 4th door. I know when I build one it will be a 4 door.

Darren

drewskiren 10-23-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer (Post 4256163)
I really like the way you are doing this one ...... Some really good ideas and it really looks like it's gonna pay choosing to start with such a good base vehicle ..... gonna save a ton of work not having to fix rust ! IMO you need to do the 4th door but I do see the value in waiting and getting the bigger project done, NICE work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 4256211)
I agree, a must on the 4th door. I know when I build one it will be a 4 door.

Darren

I hear ya on the fourth door, but it is just too much for now. Much bigger issues to tackle with the rest of the build to pile that one on too.

Yes, starting with good clean metal and having to spend virtually no time on repair work is VERY, and I repeat VERY, nice.