The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Warning on HID conversion & Clear Side Marker & Taillights (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=488934)

1badgmc 10-21-2011 01:25 PM

Re: Warning on HID conversion & Clear Side Marker & Taillights

Quote:

Originally Posted by OJ1988 (Post 4965564)
In the G8 Link,

"But the story doesn’t stop there, with some folks alleging that Jakalope wasn’t sporting factory lights, but rather modified taillights on his car. Jakalope has since both stated that he did have the factory lights on the car when the ticket was issued (although he does have other “show” lights). He also claims that even the modified taillights, which can be seen on his Cardomain page, should be legal as well, as they continue to reflect the color red."

I read some threads on the matter on the G8 forums. It seems jackalope had smoked taillights on the car when he was stopped. Being stopped for that makes perfect sense to me. He then put stock taillights back on the car for the judge. There was a misunderstanding on the judge's part, so the ticket wasn't dismissed. Jackalope went through other channels and did eventually get the ticket dropped, though.

I still stand behind my statement that the stock G8 GT lights are perfectly legal.

Quote:

Seems kind of suspiscious to me. Who has show lights that they change out when they go to a car show?
It's not unheard of.

Back in the early days of all-clear taillights, I had taken a set apart and tinted them blue. I drove with them for a while, but felt safer with stock taillights so I relegated the blue tails to show-only duties. I had a fellow club member at the time who had a set of show tails that were painted to match the graphics on his truck.

Vintage Windmills 10-21-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic69 (Post 4964163)
I did an HID conversion on my car and my truck, but I used "projectors". They are no different than BMW's or Audi's or most other high end vehicles. Its the people that do the HID swap into halogen oriented headlights without a projector to change the beam pattern, that cause glare to oncoming driver's.

Mainly correct, its not whether or not its HID, its whether or not it is proper. I think you may still have an issue though if yours don't self level the way the high end cars do. BMW had it down pat for the last 10 years or more!

HID+Projectors+self leveling= Good for all

Classic69 10-21-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 4965636)
HID's + Projectors + Self Leveling = Good for all

I agree! And I have self-leveling screws to lower the beam pattern, so its not in on-coming driver's eyes. On both my car and classic truck. I dont get flashed anymore since ive done it properly.

1badgmc 10-21-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic69 (Post 4965645)
I agree! And I have self-leveling screws to lower the beam pattern, so its not in on-coming driver's eyes. On both my car and classic truck. I dont get flashed anymore since ive done it properly.

No. That's not self-leveling. That's just your adjusting screws.

I don't know if automatic self-leveling is required in the US like it is in Europe for HID-equipped vehicles, but ever vehicle I can think of with OEM HIDs has some sort of automatic leveling system to compensate for when the vehicle is loaded. The most common method is from a self-leveling rear suspension. Many vehicles use airbags. My Cadillac CTS has Nivomat shocks to do the job. Some BMWs and other vehicles have sensors and servos on the headlight housings themselves that can sense when the vehicle's angle is shooting the lights too high and adjust the lights themselves.

Dieselwrencher 10-21-2011 03:18 PM

All I know is my 95 Ford I daily drive has the dimmest dang lights out of all the vehicles I've ever had. I can drive with my brights on and no one cares. :lol: Shoot I have to drive with my brights on so I can see. :lol: Time for upgraded bulbs!

OJ1988 10-21-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4965771)
All I know is my 95 Ford I daily drive has the dimmest dang lights out of all the vehicles I've ever had. I can drive with my brights on and no one cares. :lol: Shoot I have to drive with my brights on so I can see. :lol: Time for upgraded bulbs!

Thats cause its a ford!;)

69sixpackbee 10-21-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4965771)
All I know is my 95 Ford...... . :lol: Time for upgraded bulbs!

No, time for upgraded vehicle :)

68C15 10-22-2011 07:28 AM

now all they need to do is make the manufacturers move the front turn signals away from the head lights. how are you supposed to see the signals with the heads on? kind of like Angelina Jolie wearing a skimpy bikini and holding a popsicle. who's gonna notice the popsicle?

eightbanger 10-22-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 4966850)
now all they need to do is make the manufacturers move the front turn signals away from the head lights. how are you supposed to see the signals with the heads on? kind of like Angelina Jolie wearing a skimpy bikini and holding a popsicle. who's gonna notice the popsicle?

This is a very good point....because she does have very big....lips.

domeier 10-22-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 4966850)
...who's gonna notice the popsicle?

What popsicle?

Rooster's 67 11-23-2011 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those that are concerned with others on the road, the use of E-spec 7"glass lenses by Hella(if i recall) and a good quality HID H4 bulb and ignigter and then properly adjusted them would not have an issue with "being rude or dangerous"

below is a drawing of the pattern difference between Euro and North American headlamps , note the pattern for euro is for LHD it would be opposite for RHD

hatred 11-26-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 4962845)
Installed in about 15 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got my kit in a couple of days ago. No instructions though (clear ones). I guess the relays mount close to the battery cause of the short hot/ground wires?