The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB BBC) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=511822)

smoknbarrels 03-08-2012 02:48 AM

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5235916)
Nice! Looking good!

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ms (Post 5236202)
Great job! Love the shop! Lift coming next?
I might have missed it, but you said 2 motors were toast, what did you end up with?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Wish I could get a lift, but I think the celing is too low to really be functional. I still ended up using a 454 block, but built a 496 out of it, I am little modest when I say 625hp ;) ...although it is completely overkill.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathonhargreaves (Post 5236297)
Subscribed! Looks like its coming along nicely, and glad to see another Alberta build! I might be hitting you up for some pointers, I plan on converting to bags this spring/summer rather than coils.

No prob. it's easy if you buy bolt on parts, little harder if you do the route I took modifying stock control arms.
Quote:

Originally Posted by (joey) (Post 5237027)
great job so far.also ...love the man cave

Thanks, it was a lot of work!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5237863)
Nice build, looks great and that motor is going to be wicked fast!

thanks, yea it should be a pretty good vette killer, I am also going to design my own launch control electronically transfering unsprung weight with the airbags.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5237952)
subscribed. nice work!

Thanks!

Did some shopping today and got a fair bit done also.
Hooked up the dizzy properly, set the wires up perfect this time. and installed fuel lines to the reg. darn braided lines are such a pain to work with, but sharpen things up nice.
Attachment 886402
welded together some temporary exhaust, this way I can test the truck and actually drive it to the muffler shop when needed.
Attachment 886403
Photos didn't turn out so nice, I'll have to redo this with some better lighting, but here I am about 3/4" from the ground, so I can't get this truck much lower with the stock cross member. I sure hope my factory tubs will allow me to get this low.
Attachment 886404
again, poor photo, but the exhaust is about 1/2" from the floor. I must have had the headders on and off 6 times the last two days!
Attachment 886405

smoknbarrels 03-09-2012 02:59 AM

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

1 Attachment(s)
Ripped out the old diff and swing arms, pressed in new bushings (good job for our 20 ton press!) and mocked up my new weld drag lites with 29x15.5 skins. If I can't get traction with over 30 inch of surface contact between the two tires, something is severely wrong. not sure how close I can get to the frame rails, as my pan hard bar is gonna be shifting the frame a little, hopefully it will move less then an inch, I will try make the longest one I can for minimal deflection.
I have to get started on narrowing a ford 9 to stuff in there, I am shooting for my overall width from outside to outside of tires to be 72 inch wide. I sure hope this will allow me to keep the tires off the tub sides, and just rest on top when aired out..

Attachment 886935

67cheby 03-09-2012 06:46 AM

Looks fat in the back !! Looking good
Posted via Mobile Device

JRBECK64 03-09-2012 06:58 AM

That thing is Bad A__!!! Your truck is looking like a million bucks. Great Job.

JRBECK64

notsolo 03-09-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoknbarrels (Post 5240286)
Ripped out the old diff and swing arms, pressed in new bushings (good job for our 20 ton press!) and mocked up my new weld drag lites with 29x15.5 skins. If I can't get traction with over 30 inch of surface contact between the two tires, something is severely wrong. not sure how close I can get to the frame rails, as my pan hard bar is gonna be shifting the frame a little, hopefully it will move less then an inch, I will try make the longest one I can for minimal deflection.
I have to get started on narrowing a ford 9 to stuff in there, I am shooting for my overall width from outside to outside of tires to be 72 inch wide. I sure hope this will allow me to keep the tires off the tub sides, and just rest on top when aired out..

Attachment 886935

Going to be a sweet truck, keep it up.... great progress. When you get to the body work sanding painting, good respirators are very important.

smoknbarrels 03-13-2012 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5240360)
Looks fat in the back !! Looking good
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, I hope it fits nicely, trying to get them as close to the frame rails as I can..
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRBECK64 (Post 5240366)
That thing is Bad A__!!! Your truck is looking like a million bucks. Great Job.

JRBECK64

Thanks! heck, I'll be plenty happy if it looks like 100K! :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 5240523)
Going to be a sweet truck, keep it up.... great progress. When you get to the body work sanding painting, good respirators are very important.

Thanks, it's trying sometimes.

well got some more progress done, but nothing too wild and crazy, did some more blasting, did a whole lot of sanding the paint off the cab, basically just cleaning all the old layers of paint off getting it ready for etching primer.
but there is gonna be a bit of a break now... goin to Hawaii for a few weeks, so no more updates for a while!!

Attachment 889703

smoknbarrels 04-04-2012 03:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
wow am I tired tonight! worked 14 hours straight on the truck today , sanded off about 10lbs of old paint. figured I'd be all rested up from the vacation, but turns out it's harder to get motivated when off the project for a few weeks, today was the first day I worked on it since back, and I got home last wednesday!
I slaped the 9 inch Moser diff together, but now I am worrried I went too narrow, we'll see tomorrow when I fit it between the frame rails with tires on it.

got most of the cab sanded, still need to blast the bottom floor.
Attachment 902617
this Moser diff and axels are quite heavy duty
Attachment 902618
setting up the wilwood disc brakes
Attachment 902619
all ready to snap some u-joints!
Attachment 902620

duallyjams 04-04-2012 07:53 AM

Why not use a wish bone instead of a panhard bar

RexDodge 04-04-2012 10:43 AM

Trucks coming along nicely and I see you have been doing some interior decorating in the shop. Nice additions to the walls.

mcbassin 04-04-2012 11:22 AM

This is a great looking project! I remember when you were searching for an accomplished body man. I guess that didn't turn out too well. I'm glad to see you're tackling the job yourself. I love the tanacity. Keep up the hard work.

Oh, I love the new shop too.

67cheby 04-04-2012 01:30 PM

i dont say this very often......MAN YOU HAVE A NICE REAREND !

smoknbarrels 04-04-2012 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5293441)
Why not use a wish bone instead of a panhard bar

Thats a really good point, does anyone make one? or does everyone fab their own?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexDodge (Post 5293626)
Trucks coming along nicely and I see you have been doing some interior decorating in the shop. Nice additions to the walls.

yea, hunting is a way of life for us, the small guys go in the work shop! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5293672)
This is a great looking project! I remember when you were searching for an accomplished body man. I guess that didn't turn out too well. I'm glad to see you're tackling the job yourself. I love the tanacity. Keep up the hard work.

Oh, I love the new shop too.

Haha! yea, the search ended up to be a dead end, so I am giving it a go, stay tuned for the fun segment.. "paint"!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5293854)
i dont say this very often......MAN YOU HAVE A NICE REAREND !

how to respond to that one, so many good one liner's come to mind, haha! but yea it does look good so far, I know the 9 inch is heavy duty and a good way to go, but I still feel dirty putting a ford part into my chevy. (that ones for you Corey! haha)

Well, didn't do anything yet today except go to a farm auction. but I did manage to find this little gem at a local Princess Auto store, had to give her a new home in my shop! with it's 4 cylinders and dual stages, she is gonna make some really pissed off air when I connect my new sandblaster to it!
Attachment 902849

Dusty4x4 04-04-2012 08:42 PM

The truck is looking good, Where did you get the shop from?

smoknbarrels 04-11-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty4x4 (Post 5294565)
The truck is looking good, Where did you get the shop from?

Thanks, but I gotta pull up the socks, I been a bit lazy since getting back from holidays, haven't gotten much done last few weeks!
shop sheet metal can be ordered all over the place, got it from a local farm supply store. it's a 2x6 stick frame construction on concrete slab, cut all the sheet metal with 1 pair of tin snips.. wouldn't do that again unless you are training your hands for some sort of death grip skill!

502ms 04-11-2012 02:05 AM

Looking real good!
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000
Check out this 2-post lift for low ceiling garages
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 04-11-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoknbarrels (Post 5294505)
Thats a really good point, does anyone make one? or does everyone fab their own?

yea, hunting is a way of life for us, the small guys go in the work shop! ;)

Haha! yea, the search ended up to be a dead end, so I am giving it a go, stay tuned for the fun segment.. "paint"!!

how to respond to that one, so many good one liner's come to mind, haha! but yea it does look good so far, I know the 9 inch is heavy duty and a good way to go, but I still feel dirty putting a ford part into my chevy. (that ones for you Corey! haha)

Well, didn't do anything yet today except go to a farm auction. but I did manage to find this little gem at a local Princess Auto store, had to give her a new home in my shop! with it's 4 cylinders and dual stages, she is gonna make some really pissed off air when I connect my new sandblaster to it!
Attachment 902849

HOLY SMOKES !! that is KILLER

master 1969 c10 04-12-2012 08:28 PM

looks like your doing a great job just take it slow and ask any ? and someone will help u out we all love theses trucks and from what i have read we are all here to help each other out. Keep up the great work u are doing. Doug

PHAT TONY 04-24-2012 01:01 AM

Just stumbled across this, gonna be shweet. I'm having a hard time with 60/hr for a side job; I'm 60/hr door rate! I've reserected 1 or 12 of these trucks over time, and I'm an old fat bodyman, any ? just ask.

smoknbarrels 04-28-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ms (Post 5306576)
Looking real good!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5306852)
HOLY SMOKES !! that is KILLER

Yea, was a lot of work to put it in! it actially sits on a 2x2 tubing frame 3 inch from the celing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by master 1969 c10 (Post 5309985)
looks like your doing a great job just take it slow and ask any ? and someone will help u out we all love theses trucks and from what i have read we are all here to help each other out. Keep up the great work u are doing. Doug

Thanks, seems like I been taking it a little too slow the last two months!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHAT TONY (Post 5332620)
Just stumbled across this, gonna be shweet. I'm having a hard time with 60/hr for a side job; I'm 60/hr door rate! I've reserected 1 or 12 of these trucks over time, and I'm an old fat bodyman, any ? just ask.

Awesome!, I am sure I will have a bunch of questions when I get a little closer to paint.. gett'n there!

aussie67c10 04-28-2012 07:42 PM

Hey bud ,i wish i had your shed . ime building my truck in my driveway. Looking good by the way.

Dustydog 04-28-2012 09:27 PM

looking good!

canadian sledneck 04-30-2012 09:38 PM

that is one sweeeeet compressor, can i borrow sometime?haha Truck is looking great!

smoknbarrels 05-21-2012 03:05 PM

yea, things have come to a stand still at the moment, been busy seeding the last few weeks, and the kid is coming any day now! so it most definitely will not be done in time.. still shooting to have it mobile for at least ONE run this late summer..

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie67c10 (Post 5341509)
Hey bud ,i wish i had your shed . ime building my truck in my driveway. Looking good by the way.

Thanks, you can have a shop anyday, all the material is at the store. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustydog (Post 5341691)
looking good!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadian sledneck (Post 5346002)
that is one sweeeeet compressor, can i borrow sometime?haha Truck is looking great!

funny thing is the compressor was awesome, but my buried cable to the shop would not support a 10hp motor, so i had to take it back and get a smaller compressor, with a 5hp motor.. still good, just not as good for sandblasting..
good thing princess auto has a good return policy!

Tinkermc 05-22-2012 04:29 PM

You should be very proud of your work on the truck, the new compressor will help for a long time to come. The shop is wonderful, you may need to install an exhaust fan for painting or it may be there I just didn't see 1. Keep up the good work and pics.

smoknbarrels 01-25-2013 01:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Time to update the Thread a little, may have lost a few during the summer, Just so much going on I had to wait till winter before I could start on the truck again, I think that will be a growing theme.
Finally finished my shop, and built another one for farm equipment during the summer...Also had our son, sure takes up a lot of time and energy, so now the goal is to finish it before he is One!

I told him if he didn't finish eating his meal, I'd make him drive a Ford when he's older... I then got the stare down, I don't think he found it amusing that I would even joke about that.
Attachment 1047695

Took forever to align the diff to weld in the perches just perfect, just didnt want to make any major errors, so I had to measure 14 times and weld once. I am certain that custom ford 9 weighs twice what the stock C-10 was.

Attachment 1047673

just a little test fit, also made some spacers out if 1x4 tubing, so the rear would bottom out in the C-notch

Attachment 1047674

test fit the doors and front fenders, some how I got a '68 and up cab+rad mounts kit, so I am not sure if the cab mounts are thicker or not? I know the rad support mounts don't fit, but if I change the rad support mounts to '67, I am not sure if I have to change the cab mounts as well?

Attachment 1047675