The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whats your impression of a 5.3L LS motor in these trucks? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=516716)

GOPAPA 03-29-2012 02:35 PM

Re: Whats your impression of a 5.3L LS motor in these trucks?

I have a 5.3 in my 4/4 Silverado and I have gotten around 18-19 mpg on average on a 3000 mile trip ,I do have I believe a higher speed rear end (3:25 think) tho and that is where I am gaining mpg at..

FLDBRED 03-29-2012 03:24 PM

I hate to say it but five years from now we won't even be having this conversation, everything will be LS!

grancuda 03-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLDBRED (Post 5282211)
I hate to say it but five years from now we won't even be having this conversation, everything will be LS!

Really....

SweetandLong68 03-29-2012 04:33 PM

Lol

mcbassin 03-29-2012 04:58 PM

If your not after a crap load of HP and do want the driveablility of an LSX, don't be afraid of the 4.8. They are cheap and plentiful.

You guys that are only finding $3k engines need to look for a crashed truck on cragislist or Ebay has loads of them. Don't be afraid to have one shipped either. There are plenty of guys on the LS section that have had them shipped.

SweetandLong68 03-29-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5282336)
If your not after a crap load of HP and do want the driveablility of an LSX, don't be afraid of the 4.8. They are cheap and plentiful.

Personally I am looking for the balance between performance, driveability, price, etc..

They are super cheap and make killer turbo motors! LOL :D

lata
CHRIS

FLDBRED 03-29-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grancuda (Post 5282274)
Really....

I myself hate change, but there is a local shop that has started to do LS swaps, he's booked to months out and has started to ask outrageous prices, yet people keep coming! He literally can't get rid of the small blocks that he is removing and has started to come down on price of even the big blocks. Like I said, I don't like it, but change is coming. At least they're Chevy's!

Clyde65 03-29-2012 06:10 PM

I know mine isnt a 67-72 but I have the 4.8/4l60e and it has plenty of power for me, nothing crazy or 'stang killer but I like it, only have a performance tune and headers. I also get roughly 18MPG when on the hwy, probably a little more if I didnt like the right pedal so much.

67 SS 03-29-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5280021)
Power is power.

Yea, for me it's six of one half dozen of the other.

IMO, the draw of the LS is the low 'initial' cost of better performing parts.
To get a comparable sb, take a shortblock and add-
better flowing heads- $1500 +
roller cam and valvetrain - $800 +
efi - $ ???
tune efi -$???

Or get the above in a stock LS from a local boneyard for less money.( are people really paying several grand for a used LS ? :eek: ) However, the conversion cost eat away at the price advantage. More so if one starts adding upgrades to the LS.

Myself, I'd rather upgrade my sb than swapping things around for a LS.

68 short step 03-29-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 5280650)
Nice! what were the dyno results?

310 at the wheels

windmill 03-29-2012 09:37 PM

I have my truck right now took apart and i'm going to do the 5.3 swap with 4l60 trans,, from what i see if u want gas mileage is go with a high gear rear end,, try to kep the rpm's down as much as possible... but with mine i'm going with carb and msd box and harness,, its about same money as going efi to me... i'm going to make a build sheet as soon as i can ,, i'm slow doing things....

68 short step 03-29-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubscrub (Post 5281010)
i just can't get past the horrible looks of the newer motors vs. the old ones. One big deal for me is all the extra stuff that is with the new ones all the wiring etc. and harder and more $$$$ to fix. just my op.

horrible looks, i gotta disagree there...you can make them look good, better then od skool carbed engines IMO
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...d/P2120005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...d/P2120006.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...d/P3240026.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...d/P3240024.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...o/P9250008.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...stepengine.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...r/100_3356.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...r/100_3355.jpg

grancuda 03-29-2012 10:22 PM

Ain't nothing like some plastic covers to really make that engine pop! Looks good like a Hyndai engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vintage Windmills 03-29-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 SS (Post 5282732)
Yea, for me it's six of one half dozen of the other.

IMO, the draw of the LS is the low 'initial' cost of better performing parts.
To get a comparable sb, take a shortblock and add-
better flowing heads- $1500 +
roller cam and valvetrain - $800 +
efi - $ ???
tune efi -$???

Myself, I'd rather upgrade my sb than swapping things around for a LS.

This is what I'm doing with my original 72 high nickel block except I will run a properly tuned Qjet. I'm running a roller cam conversion setup and Vortech Improved heads. It should make numbers like my stock LQ4, while looking original and bolting right in. Mileage?- I don't know yet but I'm hoping for close to what a late 90's vortec gets. It should be pretty good since I am building for torque in the useable rpm range, which is a good indication of efficiency. I am looking at $3k all said and done (2k in parts and 1k in machine shop fees) but it is balanced, all name brand parts, and all new inside except crank. Also I know every detail about it now but if you swapped in a LS you would be starting with a used engine (assuming 3k total swap budget) and not know what its like inside.

I am expecting mine to perform like a late 90's vortec but with more torque. If it doesn't I won't regret it anyways since my main goal was to keep the truck powered by original block. My dad had a vortec 97 K1500 and I think it was pretty much equivalent to my 99 5.3 K1500 for power and mileage though the 5.3 may be a little better on fuel- mine wasn't but it had 4.10 gears and the 97 had 3.73's.

I think a lot of people are comparing the LS to a Gen 1 still configured with the original heads and flat cams. I'd like to hear more thoughts about how the late 90's vortech 350's compare to the 5.3's.

If you want the potential for high hp I'd say go 6.0 liter with a cam, tune and headers since like I said, the stock 6.0 is where I'm at now with many upgrades to the SBC. Although, I won't know for sure until we dyno it in a few weeks- maybe it will surprise me and exceed 360ft lbs and 350hp.

One other thing, the LS's have piston noise at cold startup- it doesn't hurt anything and these engines still run forever but some people are bothered by it.

Hubscrub 03-29-2012 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLDBRED (Post 5282211)

Not in my engine bays, lol one of the reasons i like to drive my old stuff is to get away from all "modern" stuff/ i will drive my carb. vehicles anywhere they been doing it for many decades and i'm not stoping anytime soon lord willing. I don't worry about gas mileage if i'm cruising for enjoyment matter of fact one of my carbed cars get the best gas mileage of all even the FI trucks we own V8 and V6. But i'm a young 29 year old that has old skool thinking.

I still don't like the looks, i'm not knocking anyone i just don't like the looks of them, i like a simple clean stock looking carb. motor especially with the chevy script valve covers oh so fine!! matter of fact my favorite engine look is a inline 6.:metal::chevy: This is beauty to me!

BHyatt 03-29-2012 10:53 PM

My thoughts? I would rather see it in my truck than on the garage floor like it is now.

I have seen the comments here about getting the 5.3 4l60E combo for under $3K. I bought my 5.3 for $500. It came from a 2004 Silverado with 80K. I received the wiring harness including the under hood fuse box, the computer and the battery cables. The only things missing on the motor are the alternator and the starter. I have been expecting to spend less than $500 on the 4L60E but have yet to locate one that is satisfactory for that price. There are plenty of 4X4 transmissions laying around here and there for $350. I have a neighbour with a 4L60E built by a reputable performance transmission shop here in Central Indiana. It is available for $1K or can be traded for the 2004R I currently have in my truck if I have it rebuilt first as it is a better fit for his project.

I just think that the frugal minded can search and search and find a bargain.

Ackattack 03-29-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHyatt (Post 5283056)
My thoughts? I would rather see it in my truck than on the garage floor like it is now.

I have seen the comments here about getting the 5.3 4l60E combo for under $3K. I bought my 5.3 for $500. It came from a 2004 Silverado with 80K. I received the wiring harness including the under hood fuse box, the computer and the battery cables. The only things missing on the motor are the alternator and the starter. I have been expecting to spend less than $500 on the 4L60E but have yet to locate one that is satisfactory for that price. There are plenty of 4X4 transmissions laying around here and there for $350. I have a neighbour with a 4L60E built by a reputable performance transmission shop here in Central Indiana. It is available for $1K or can be traded for the 2004R I currently have in my truck if I have it rebuilt first as it is a better fit for his project.

I just think that the frugal minded can search and search and find a bargain.

Keep looking, I found my 4l60e from a ls1 trans am for $250, and I haven't had any issues with it.

HuggerCST 03-29-2012 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On my next build, which is a square body '75 short wide for my son, I'm going for mileage and driveability also. So far I'm in it pretty cheap, but I think I got lucky and found some deals. I have $300 in the truck, got another parts truck for free, and I have $1200 in this wrecked '79 GMC with a '01 5.3/4L60. The conversion is a home brew, but it's a good start. Deals are out there. I bought this on copart.com, which is a online insurance auction site. Another place to look is car-part.com, which is a salvage yard network.

Ole Greenie 03-29-2012 11:15 PM

This thread has really interested me. I have learned alot by all the posts but I do have a few things to say. When SBC and BBC motors get hot while idling in traffic, they run like crap (with carb). Most owners know this but most owners of our trucks also don't drive in traffic (idle). Those who do also know that they can't wait till they get going again. Why do we drive them in traffic? Well we love driving these old trucks!

With all the debate about SBC and the LXX motors, we drive them because we love them, so why shouldn't we make them more amicable to driving...especially in traffic? It certainly is cool to see a nice to see a vintage truck in a back road but much more cool to see one in traffic in a small city (or large city) where everything is a toyo, a huyandai or nissan.

I for one would welcome a 6.0 with tranny to swap for my BBC LS6 with 450 horse. Besides, I know FI too.

BHyatt 03-29-2012 11:17 PM

That is great Ackattack! I will keep looking as I am about as cheap as they come. If I know that I can find a better deal somewhere I will not give up until I find one at $350 or less. Everyone needs some patience and the deal can be had.

mcbassin 03-29-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grancuda (Post 5282969)
Ain't nothing like some plastic covers to really make that engine pop! Looks good like a Hyndai engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy now, these aren't 3 bangers. Some of these examples belong to board member's engine bays. Hardly a fair comparison.

mcbassin 03-29-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 5283089)
On my next build, which is a square body '75 short wide for my son, I'm going for mileage and driveability also. So far I'm in it pretty cheap, but I think I got lucky and found some deals. I have $300 in the truck, got another parts truck for free, and I have $1200 in this wrecked '79 GMC with a '01 5.3/4L60. The conversion is a home brew, but it's a good start. Deals are out there. I bought this on copart.com, which is a online insurance auction site. Another place to look is car-part.com, which is a salvage yard network.

Wynn, any chance you have a build thread for this truck? You and I seem to think a lot alike.;)

HuggerCST 03-29-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5283224)
Wynn, any chance you have a build thread for this truck? You and I seem to think a lot alike.;)

No, not yet. I just bought these trucks over the past 3 or 4 weeks. The build may take a while too, because my son wants to help build it, and I want to teach him how as we go. He's only 12, so hopefully I'll get to drive it some before he gets a license.:lol:
EDIT: Just noticed your build threads.:metal:

grancuda 03-30-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Greenie (Post 5283129)
This thread has really interested me. I have learned alot by all the posts but I do have a few things to say. When SBC and BBC motors get hot while idling in traffic, they run like crap (with carb). Most owners know this but most owners of our trucks also don't drive in traffic (idle). Those who do also know that they can't wait till they get going again. Why do we drive them in traffic? Well we love driving these old trucks!

With all the debate about SBC and the LXX motors, we drive them because we love them, so why shouldn't we make them more amicable to driving...especially in traffic? It certainly is cool to see a nice to see a vintage truck in a back road but much more cool to see one in traffic in a small city (or large city) where everything is a toyo, a huyandai or nissan.

I for one would welcome a 6.0 with tranny to swap for my BBC LS6 with 450 horse. Besides, I know FI too.

I drive my '72 C10 daily, with out any "idling issues". I drive to Tulsa in big city traffic with 20-30 min stop & go back-ups with no issues. In the past 4 years I have put 90k+ miles on my old '72 GMC I sold & my current '72 C10. These have the old antiquated 350's with carb and I have zero reliability & decent mileage even with no OD & 3.73.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ole Greenie 03-30-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grancuda (Post 5283320)
I drive my '72 C10 daily, with out any "idling issues". I drive to Tulsa in big city traffic with 20-30 min stop & go back-ups with no issues. In the past 4 years I have put 90k+ miles on my old '72 GMC I sold & my current '72 C10. These have the old antiquated 350's with carb and I have zero reliability & decent mileage even with no OD & 3.73.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fantastic! Very glad you are happy with your motor.