The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=558277)

fastcam1 01-02-2013 11:42 PM

Re: How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5

Those or dog dish caps
Posted via Mobile Device

aggie91 01-03-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5786814)
So, after replacing the alt and batt, I was back charging again. Only now instead of 10.5v, I was seeing 15.5! I found a nice solid-state piece, a Wells VR715, that mimics the style of the original, but uses a circuit board instead of mechanical points--functions more like a modern alternator/regulator by shunting to ground instead of cycling on/off constantly.

Check out this piece of history I removed from the Blazer. Ah, the good old days when Sears was a trusted manufacturer of seemingly everything, instead of just another retailer...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0AAA6E3490.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0AB92A4286.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0AC0B500DC.jpg

Made in Korea, but looks right at home on the core support. Would this be considered 'ruining' it? :lol: Check out those chalk marks! :chevy:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0AC78C070A.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

First off, I think this Blazer is great, I vote for keeping it 4wd, but I like them low too. This one is too nice to cut up...

For the voltage regulator, couldn't you adapt the cover of the Sears one to the new one and now you would have the look of the old with the function of the new...just a thought for you...

gringoloco 01-03-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5792995)
First off, I think this Blazer is great, I vote for keeping it 4wd, but I like them low too. This one is too nice to cut up...

For the voltage regulator, couldn't you adapt the cover of the Sears one to the new one and now you would have the look of the old with the function of the new...just a thought for you...

I think if I did it, I'd have to use an old ACDelco cover. Seems though, it wouldn't be as easy as before--their old design used rivets to hold the cover on, now it appears to be glued. Thanks for the cool idea!

Rusbuilt 01-03-2013 02:07 PM

Man that is one nice blazer! If you don't mind me asking what price range does one go for in that condition?

thor 01-03-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5792361)
I think I might like one in white for the summer. How is it for water leakage?

I got one of the first ones before white was an option. I would've preferred white. It would give a better contrast.

As for water leakage, it is just like those that came before: It leaks near the corners of the windshield. And of course sealing around the door windows is loose. No real water intrusion, but some (to be expected) wind noise.

As for not having to enlist a friend to take off the 400 lb. hardtop or the ability to drop the top no matter where you are...:metal:

gringoloco 01-03-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5793433)
Man that is one nice blazer! If you don't mind me asking what price range does one go for in that condition?

Thanks, we like it :) They pop up sometimes cheap, like this one did the first time I saw it for sale. The owner apparently didn't know what he had. I've seen 'em anywhere from $10-30k. This one was at the low end of that scale. It's not perfect, but is a nice, solid start. I'd expect to pay mid-upper teens for a nice one and into the twenties for approaching perfect, depending on options. This is just my experience in the market lately, your mileage my vary...
Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 5793481)
I got one of the first ones before white was an option. I would've preferred white. It would give a better contrast.

As for water leakage, it is just like those that came before: It leaks near the corners of the windshield. And of course sealing around the door windows is loose. No real water intrusion, but some (to be expected) wind noise.

As for not having to enlist a friend to take off the 400 lb. hardtop or the ability to drop the top no matter where you are...:metal:

Cool! Thanks again for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rusbuilt 01-03-2013 10:39 PM

Well sir I think you got a great deal!

TexasJimmy 01-03-2013 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice Blazer. Need to have a TX, LA Blazer run some day. Poker run?

It's always nice to see another 1st gen. 4x4 Blazer. Well done.

Tim

My ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 01-04-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5794359)
Well sir I think you got a great deal!

I'd say we did ok. It is nice to actually have one again
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJimmy (Post 5794486)
Very nice Blazer. Need to have a TX, LA Blazer run some day. Poker run?

It's always nice to see another 1st gen. 4x4 Blazer. Well done.

Tim

My ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Good looking Blazer! It would be cool to have a herd of 'em togther.

thor 01-04-2013 06:21 PM

Even though I love your blazer the way it is, your plans reminded me of another build - JMuck's blue blazer converted from 4WD to 2WD. However, when I went to link it I saw that you had commented in his thread already. Was this a deep-rooted memory that caused you to purchase an extremely nice, blue, 4WD blazer to convert to 2WD? :hmm: :D

gringoloco 01-04-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 5795904)
Even though I love your blazer the way it is, your plans reminded me of another build - JMuck's blue blazer converted from 4WD to 2WD. However, when I went to link it I saw that you had commented in his thread already. Was this a deep-rooted memory that caused you to purchase an extremely nice, blue, 4WD blazer to convert to 2WD? :hmm: :D

Haha- yeah he was building his back when I had my earlier Blazer. The blue is just coincidence--it was the Highlander plaid that drew me in on this one...
Posted via Mobile Device

Wasted Income 01-07-2013 11:19 AM

Nice score Gringo!! That is a beautiful truck. I would have a hard time deciding which direction to go with it as well....but I think you know which way I'd lean. lol.

gringoloco 01-07-2013 04:35 PM

Yes, I do... Part of me agrees with you, the other part likes it just the way it is. Well, maybe a few upgrades ;)

BB72CHEVKT 01-07-2013 04:47 PM

Did the truck come from the factory with the wood grain on the door panels?

gringoloco 01-07-2013 06:21 PM

Yes. It was part of the CST/Highlander package. Looks a little out of place since there is no other woodgrain inside, but my understanding is that's how they came. Does your Sub have them?

BB72CHEVKT 01-08-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5802314)
Yes. It was part of the CST/Highlander package. Looks a little out of place since there is no other woodgrain inside, but my understanding is that's how they came. Does your Sub have them?

My 72 SWB is the Highlander and it did not have wood grain anywhere nor did my 72 C20 Highlander. I have not seen any other Highlanders with wood grain so you may have something out of the ordinary.

gringoloco 01-08-2013 03:08 PM

Hm, maybe Blazer specific. Pretty sure the CST included the wood inserts?

lolife99 01-08-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5804307)
Hm, maybe Blazer specific. Pretty sure the CST included the wood inserts?

My '71 2wd blazer is a CST and has no woodgrain.
I think it would be the "cheyenne equipt."on the SPID, that would dictate that.

gringoloco 01-08-2013 06:50 PM

Hm, good point. With all the options on this thing, I wonder why no tach or posi...
Posted via Mobile Device

niceguy678us 01-10-2013 09:26 AM

My highlander is an original survivor, an exact twin to yours. It had woodgrain door panel inserts.

niceguy678us 01-10-2013 09:33 AM

My vote is to leave it 4x4 by the way. Have you even gone wheeling in it just one time? I think you might be surprised what it is capable of in stock form. And I'm not talking about mud riding and tearing up the balzer. Just a simple trail ride through the woods.

It can be a lot of fun. Especially you being up there by arkansas. There are a lot of places to go wheeling just across the state line from you, with trails designed for beginners.

Just a thought.

gringoloco 01-10-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks! It has been novel, if not a little fun, the few times I've had it off the pavement. We used to play on the trails a lot when I was younger, but never in my stuff, always tearing up someone else's truck :lol: You'll be happy to know that it won't be converted anytime too soon, in fact, I have a set of 15x8 steelies and dogdishes on the way :)

lolife99 01-10-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5808335)
in fact, I have a set of 15x8 steelies and dogdishes on the way :)

This will look good!^^^

gringoloco 01-10-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5808449)
This will look good!^^^

Haha- yeah, thanks for the heads-up. You're gonna get me divorced :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

tp85 01-10-2013 10:32 PM

where did you get the 15X8 steelies and dogdishes? tought to find?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5808335)
Thanks! It has been novel, if not a little fun, the few times I've had it off the pavement. We used to play on the trails a lot when I was younger, but never in my stuff, always tearing up someone else's truck :lol: You'll be happy to know that it won't be converted anytime too soon, in fact, I have a set of 15x8 steelies and dogdishes on the way :)