The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dragging home something very original today... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851949)

Chevys4life 04-14-2024 01:06 PM

Re: Dragging home something very original today...

You don't see them like that too often these days. That was a nice find for sure!!!!

toms68cst 04-14-2024 01:38 PM

I can't find any originality to nit-pick. That's a very fine original survivor.

68Gold/white 04-14-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9304047)
Interesting. What trim level?

I'm not sure how to determine that???

It had the trim on the sides, not on the front. The side trim was destroyed, I removed it, threw away.
I'm sure the tailgate was not original. It had the fancy aluminum panel the covered up the tail gate "Chevrolet" stamped one. It was trashed also.

Theres no badge on the door, Custom, or CST..

I bought it minus engine, trans, seat...

Thanks
:metal:

factorystock 04-14-2024 07:30 PM

Trim levels, options and accessories sometimes get confusing, here is my take. This '67 was not ordered with the custom comfort option( available on base trim vehicles) hence, no passenger side sun visor and arm rests. However, both items were available as separate accessories on a vehicle without the custom comfort option.

'68OrangeSunshine 04-14-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by factorystock (Post 9304474)
Trim levels, options and accessories sometimes get confusing, here is my take. This '67 was not ordered with the custom comfort option( available on base trim vehicles) hence, no passenger side sun visor and arm rests. However, both items were available as separate accessories on a vehicle without the custom comfort option.

True. But usually if you order a ''stripper' [no frills options] you don't order an A/C [RPO C42]. Unless you live in the Inland Valley.
California truck? But why a Janesville [J] VIN and not a Z for Fremont?

Steeveedee 04-14-2024 11:25 PM

Coming from Janesville to California isn't usual, but not surprising. I worked at 3 dealerships within 20 miles of the GMAD in Van Nuys, CA. In '70, they built Chevelles, Camaros, El Caminos and (I think) Novas. Yet we got some vehicles built in Austin, TX. Makes no sense, to me.

68bowtie 04-15-2024 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by factorystock (Post 9304474)

interesting, thanks

Attachment 2352436

chevmn 04-15-2024 10:10 PM

My dad had a 67, and had very few options. Off hand I cannot recall much about it, as it has been 40 years since I last saw it, but I do recall there were no armrests, and only a driver visor. When he purchased it, it had a 283 and a 3 spd manual, but I always thought it must have came originally with a 6 cylinder since no engine option was on the spid. The only options I recall being listed were heavy duty clutch, and AM radio. It was like this truck and had no side trim, and white front bumper, and grille hoops. I had a 67 as well during the time, which was at the opposite end of the option spectrum and loaded with options PS, PB, AC, 327 engine, auto, speed warning, tach and guages, chrome trim, and on and on.

68bowtie 04-15-2024 10:15 PM

That’s pretty cool you remember all that. If the vin started with CE (vs CS) it could have been an original 283 even not being listed on the spid.

chevmn 04-16-2024 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9305060)
That’s pretty cool you remember all that. If the vin started with CE (vs CS) it could have been an original 283 even not being listed on the spid.

Wish I had the vin, but unfortunately I guess not, unless I somehow find some old paperwork buried, but if any existed, it probably was lost during cleanout of the property when I sold it after my parents passing. I did visit with the son of the dealership where a few vehicles we owned were purchased, but he said they only kept records for 7 years, and trucks purchased in the 60s and 70s were long gone. After posting this I did recall dads truck also had an option for heavy rear springs listed as well. But I do know you could count the options on the spid on one hand with a missing finger or two. Who knows, that truck remained in the area up through into the early 90s and I would see it from time to time.

70STOVEBOLT 04-16-2024 02:07 PM

I believe the numbers on the core support are from November 2003 when the coolant was tested to -40 degrees.

Jason Banks 04-16-2024 08:07 PM

What an amazing find. That would have been following me home too!

damnyankee36 04-17-2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9304000)

Uncoated hood hinges and hood latches. It almost looks like they were sand blasted. However, I do see some indications from other truck photos that maybe these parts were just not coated from the factory? What have you guys seen?

If these trucks are similar to First Gen Camaros or other 60-70's GM vehicles, hinges were plated gray phosphate.

I wasn't aware that the early trucks were available with steel beds. I assumed that later trucks came stock with steel beds and optional wood.