The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   67 Camaro Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751594)

7dee2 05-11-2019 08:32 AM

Re: 67 Camaro Build

5 Attachment(s)
Here’s the whole shebang, thinking this will work perfecto for our purposes! :ito: Did end up shorting the front to rear tie pipes for more maneuverability in our tight space.

rgunlock 05-11-2019 09:18 AM

Looks like that will do the job and come in dang handy!

7dee2 05-14-2019 09:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
You betcha Rick, it has and continues to be dang handy for handling the new body.

Put the old body back on our cart/jiggy dealio after those last pics, we’re ready to take delivery of the new RDS body (eta was still months out :thud:). Digging this tool with all the accessories it makes it easy for a one-man operation if needed. Another nice feature is a tow bar that attaches to the receiver tubes on either end so you can pull it or back it like a trailer. We haven’t needed that yet but I’m sure we'll use it eventually. Saw these pics on Whirly Jig’s web site that sold us on the mobility, made one of the little hand dolly things with the supplied hard wheels to help move the ends around, pretty slick.

7dee2 05-20-2019 10:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I’m guessing the new car itch just had to result in a new car scratch, so right after the rotisserie mounts were done it was time to get on a plane. Mrs. 7dee2 likes her sedans, me not so much but there is one I’d like to own. Together we decided that a very, very low mileage Red Hot (her color) 2017 Chevrolet SS would be just the ticket (?). After searching the country, we found our car at a Chevrolet dealership in Sand Springs, OK. They picked us up at the Tulsa airport and took us straight to the dealership. After a quick inspection (needed to be sure it hadn’t been wrecked) with only 269 miles and a full tank of gas we were off, road trip back to Bountiful, UT. :cf:

Here are a few pics of the new car after we got back and later last summer with the local Holden FB Group at the Eaglewood Festival of Speed car show.

mjensen 05-20-2019 10:25 AM

Oh how I love the SS! Nice snag!

7dee2 05-21-2019 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike, we both really enjoy the car.

Lots of folks say “Oh, it’s an SS, SS what, Camaro, Chevelle, Impala”? It’s an SS….

7dee2 05-28-2019 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yep, you guessed it, at this point (if I’d been updating this thread :exit:) we were still waiting for the new body to be built so my attention moved to our shorty C10 project. This project also had been left in bare steel way to long but did fair a little bit better than the old Camaro body did during the same time frame.

Here are some before & after links from our K30 build thread that covers the same C10 gap & seal job at CBR.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=1183
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=1194

Clyde65 05-29-2019 07:53 PM

Love that c30!

7dee2 06-02-2019 01:28 PM

Thanks Clyde, me too! Broke it out of storage yesterday with only 1200 miles showing, I'm thinking it needs to be driven.:D

7dee2 09-05-2019 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Time for an update, seemed like forever but the day finally arrived (9/5/18, one-year anniversary today) that our Real Deal Steel 67 Camaro body shell was shipping. At that point we were just a little over the projected completion date but not bad. One delay for RDS was trying to find a carrier from Florida to Utah, apparently, it was proving pretty difficult but one was found and here are some pics of them loading the body.

Oh yes, we were over the moon excited! :bann:

rgunlock 09-05-2019 11:40 AM

I can feel the excitement building all the way down here!

mongocanfly 09-05-2019 04:28 PM

Quit teasing us..!!!

7dee2 09-10-2019 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You know as my wife says it’s not all Butterflies & Puppies! :m7:

After a week or so and no progress reports from the driver I lit a fire under Joe (RDS) for some updates. What came back was disturbing for both of us. Before the transporter even got out of the area the trailer experienced an axle fire which destroyed the trailer and several other vehicles! Our Camaro was way up in the nose (front) of the trailer and suffered very minor if any real damage. I won’t go into all the details but RDS did everything they could to fix this. Here are some pics 3 weeks later that Joe & Randy sent us from an impound yard once they’d arrived onsite to retrieve our car. The shell was taken back to their shop and thoroughly inspected for any damage.

rgunlock 09-10-2019 11:29 AM

Geez, what were the chances? Sorry to hear about the setback, but sounds like RDS is doing what they can to make it right for you.

mongocanfly 09-10-2019 04:25 PM

dang it boy..!!!!!!..sounds like something that would happen to me....

7dee2 09-12-2019 06:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just lucky I guess! :waah:

A couple of days later RDS had it looking good as new, these pics were sent for our approval. Still had a transporter problem though, how to get it from Florida to Utah? At this point, I was resolved to rent a truck and go after it myself, not a cheap solution but I’m usually always up for a road trip!

What happened next was a complete surprise.

7dee2 09-13-2019 02:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As luck would have it a good friend of mine Cody Carrico (Enswell Speed & Fab) who has been kind enough to let us use his business address for the :devil: “Khaleesi, Mother of the Dragons” :devil: Camaro project. Not only do they have a forklift, w/fork extensions at their disposal to help take delivery of the huge palletized shell but plenty of help to assist in mounting it to our rotisserie if need be.

After telling him about our troubles and my solution he said that they just happened to have a transporter in the area and that just maybe, we could squeeze the shell on their trailer somehow? Couldn’t believe my luck, they were picking up this very cool, very long, slammed 2-ton GMC, and a replica 67 Corvette! Cody had the brilliant idea that our car could possibly piggyback on the frame rails of the GMC. One thing led to another and with some skilled loading by Randy (RDS) our car was on its way! Yippy Skippy! :metal::metal::metal:

mongocanfly 09-13-2019 08:56 PM

That's kinda like a transporter transporter...

7dee2 09-15-2019 09:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Once the car arrived here in Utah we found out what new games our ”Bad Mojo” Camaro project shell was playing. Started off when the transport driver got into a tight spot at a hotel, resulting in a shattered back window from over jackknifing the trailer. The replica Corvette did not escape damage either, the trailer ramps did find their way into the back of that car. Last but not least the poor GMC did manage to kiss the front of the trailer where the winch mount did a number on it’s very rare and expensive to replace grill. Side note if anyone is interested the GMC it is available for purchase here. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6187925376273/

Finally, new shell on our rotisserie ready to make the short trip home, what a path of destruction! :devil:

Many, many thanks to Cody Carrico, Enswell Speed & Fab, and their crew for the help you guys are the best! :5150:

rgunlock 09-15-2019 12:13 PM

Glad you got it home in 1 piece!

mongocanfly 09-15-2019 01:47 PM

Good grief..!!

7dee2 09-23-2019 09:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I know, crazy luck. Here it is in our garage letting some bad mojo run out the side! ;)

Unfortunately we’ve still got a lot of distractions keeping me from really getting back on this project. Mrs. 7dee2 & I decided to build a new garage (ugh, home? :lol:) which brought progress to a halt. Our decision was made about two months prior to taking delivery of the RDS Camaro body.

7dee2 10-13-2019 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found this pic on FB and had to tease the wife, “Gee hun wouldn’t this be great! :metal:” all I got was stink eye and an “ah no”!

Here's a pic from this January, we are building a new garage with an attached house! :lol:

mongocanfly 10-13-2019 02:47 PM

Haha....that's a man's house for sure...

7dee2 11-03-2019 12:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We are seeing some light after several months of moving stuff into storage, selling the old house (btw sold 24 hours after listing, YES!), then 9 weeks in a hotel because it did sell so fast :thud:, months of moving it all again, glad to report that we’re in our new place and all our junk is here. My advice, don’t move your junk pile if you don’t really have to!

Left the Khaleesi Camaro on her side for months in storage, Ha all the bad mojo has got to be drained out by now, right? No moving damage or mishaps to report, so maybe those other transporters were just, you know, doofuses? :hh:

Dieselwrencher 12-04-2021 10:04 AM

Brett, the new place looks awesome! Are you still in it and kicking? :lol:

7dee2 12-06-2021 01:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Ryan, yep still kicking thanks for asking.

Overall it really took some time to get all moved, settled, and situated. A real quick rundown of lost Camaro build time includes getting our new yard in including a fancy she shed.

7dee2 12-06-2021 01:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Also added a large craft room, bath, and hallway downstairs for Miss’s 7dee2 which was only fair after making the new garage space a first priority. In addition, and after putting it off as long as I could finally have had both my knees replaced as well.

Now that’s all done it’s time to get back to this build. The good thing is we have been picking up parts here and there all along, I do have progress to report with lots of pics.

Dieselwrencher 12-07-2021 07:33 AM

Brett, great to see you active again. I hope my wife doesn't see that she shed. :lol: I built my kids a covid hut last year and she wants to take it over. I told her to get in line. :lol:

The craft room and bathroom look great also. I'm looking forward to your progress pics on the Camaro. I picked up an empty shell 68 that I will save for a street/drag car. I have a soft spot for a 1st gen camaro but their prices are too high. So as usual I will start with nothing. Haha

7dee2 12-11-2021 12:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ha, Covid Hut, that’s a good one! Lol, me too 1st gens rule! :metal:

Last winter I decided to mock up a big block/manual trans in the subframe with correct motor stands, mounts, trans cross member and such. The only thing that I noticed was the old 6-cylinder clutch linkage mounted differently, no problem we’ll just punch and tap a new hole to secure it correctly. This original 67 subframe was born with a 6-cylinder manual, then upgraded to a small block automatic before me.

Hooker headers fit quite well at this point also. Just touching the steering box and the right upper control arm.

rgunlock 12-12-2021 09:49 AM

It's great to see you back Brett! Your place is looking great and glad you are getting settled in. May have to steal your she-shed design. Looking forward to more regular progress and posting.

7dee2 12-13-2021 10:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Rick! Thanks, I’m going to try.

After reading back through the thread I realized I’m getting just a little ahead of myself. Back when we ordered the Real Deal Steel (RDS) body shell, we opted for the complete frontend option as well. To save on freight costs it was all shipped to a friend’s shop and arrived in good shape shortly before the body shell had shipped from Florida. Since we already have a new 67 SS hood, we subbed in a stinger hood (steel) like the old fiberglass ones that the Baldwin Motion, Yenko, etc. cars could have had if ordered.

My thinking is with a hood swap and a couple of quick changes (wheel/tire swap, trunk lid with & without rear spoiler) it could give the car a different look fairly easily. The hood is not everyone’s cup of tea, including mine when I was younger. I remember telling someone what’s a Corvette hood doing on a Camaro, stupid! After many years and learning that they (in fiberglass) were an option on the early supercars they’ve grown on me. Here is a pic of some 67’s with the hood, very Day 2 high-performance stuff. :bo2:

72 tigger 12-13-2021 01:02 PM

Like the day 2 look, good choice. Keep us updated

joesscamaro 12-14-2021 01:54 PM

I'm a fan of that hood...especially when done in a good color combo. I think the wrong colors can make that hood look like it doesn't belong.

72c20customcamper 12-14-2021 06:50 PM

I bought the Stinger hood for my 66 Chevelle . Had it on for few months didnt grow on me so I'm back to the original SS hood .

Your Camaro is coming out great

7dee2 12-19-2021 02:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9006706)
Like the day 2 look, good choice. Keep us updated

Thanks Kirk, me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesscamaro (Post 9007033)
I'm a fan of that hood...especially when done in a good color combo. I think the wrong colors can make that hood look like it doesn't belong.

Yes, I agree Joe. We’ve always planned on Ermine White (a Grumpy’s Toy III look with the SS Hood installed) and even have single-stage paint, bought extra when painting my K30. Trouble is if we need more paint (they don’t sell it in Utah anymore, the supplier says Utah made it illegal :dohh:) or finding someone to spray it. Collision shops can’t do it, again illegal here. I’ll say that if I’ve got to buy paint over again that color may change, maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9007111)
I bought the Stinger hood for my 66 Chevelle . Had it on for few months didnt grow on me so I'm back to the original SS hood .

Your Camaro is coming out great

Thanks Mark, I’m thinking the two hoods two trunk lid deal is a great idea for me, the stinger has grown on me but I really like the SS hood also. I really like the spoilers but also like the without look as well. When this extra stuff is not on the car it’s going on the wall, garage art, ho, ho double win! ;)

Around the same time (prior to our move to the new place) and in addition to the frontend sheet metal, we sprung for a new and improved Auto Gear Muncie M23 from Paul Cangialosi at 5speeds.com, it’s one of his M22W/2632DS Drag Special transmissions. It's been boxed up until yesterday, looking forward to mocking up the shifter and backup switch soon, here are some pics.

More info about the M23
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/in...r-engineering/

Paul’s youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/GearBoxVideo

7dee2 12-23-2021 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More info on the transmission selection is the gear ratio 2.56, 1.91, 1.37, 1. That low first gear ratio should complement the 3.55 rear gear ratio we are planning to run. I’d like the car to pull hard from a standing start and still have freeway capability.

Using the Spicer transmission gear rpm calculator with the rear gear, tire height, etc. we should be just under 3K at 70 mph. https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...rpm-calculator

Here’s a chart and at 65 mph with our rear gear, tire height puts us at 2770 rpm smack in the middle of Balanced Power/Gas Mileage. Ha, gas mileage that isn’t this build! :lol:

Next up the standing start, here’s a free article that talks about Drag Racing Traction. https://www.cartechbooks.com/blogs/t...making-a-pass/ About 2/3rds of the way into that article it talks about the Starting-Line Ratio. According to this an ideal starting-line ratio is 8.5:1. Ours is 2.56 x 3.55 = 9.088, is that good? Well, some more info says 4.375 Stroke & 3500 lbs. = 9.0 via the chart below.

I’m thinking that’s pretty good for a fat street Camaro with a fat driver. :ww: Merry Christmas!

Dieselwrencher 12-24-2021 01:45 PM

I've always liked a 3.55 with no od. My Camaro has 3.08s and a Super T10. Not so fun starting out unless it's 3k on up. But it works. Haha

Your trans definitely sounds killer and I really like that stinger hood! I do like the SS hood but they are everywhere around here.

7dee2 12-27-2021 12:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ha, I’m guessing burnouts for distance and freeway cruising are not a problem for you! My subframe mockup trans behind the old 72 402 posted above is a T10 with the 6-ring input shaft and the super low 3.42 first gear. That’d make your old Maro roll out from a stop sign a little easier.

We’ve been collecting parts for years for this build and one of those old-school cool parts is a Mr. Gasket V-Gate shifter. I had a Hurst Ramrod inline shifter many, many years ago in a 67 Chevelle. Such a great car with a high winding 327, Offy crossram, Super T10, and a 12 bolt posi with 4.88’s. Just loved banging gears with that shifter so much that I needed another one. Truth be told it’s a big gawd awful thing that scares some folks, I dig it! :crazy:

To run this shifter is a bit of a commitment, it can be a little tough (on your Nancy hand) pulling up on the lever for 1st & 2nd, it also takes a large hole in the floor and you can forget a factory console. No console means no console gauges (especially the fuel gauge), factory tach, etc. I’m ok running period correct style aftermarket gauges with the standard idiot light dash setup.

Talk about a commitment just had to take a grinder to my new M23 tail housing to make clearance for the reverse rod to function correctly. That gusset was not on the old Muncie housings and wouldn’t let it acuate reverse. Still need to figure a way to connect the reverse lever to a 67 Camaro backup light switch, but I’ve got some ideas.

7dee2 01-03-2022 11:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the parts gathered for our big-block/trans mockup, we also grabbed almost everything to rebuild the subframe including, control arms, steering linkage, etc., and a fast manual steering box. The original clutch linkage was present with our parts car but really worn and my research showed that the car came with a 250ci/155HP L22 L6 and a Saginaw Manual 3-speed. Worn out and fitment in question we’re replacing that stuff also.

With a manual trans, v-gate, and now manual steering, I’m thinking Arnold would be proud. This isn’t going to be a girly man car! :lol: