The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   another cheap electric fan build! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254617)

Arad68 09-27-2007 10:57 PM

Re: another cheap electric fan build!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 2378264)
i found a thermostatic switch that controls the on ( 195 ) off at (180 )degrees . its a very heavy duty model used in off road equipment. has the correct thread size to screw into the head with no adapters and best of all it requires no relay to handle the 30 amps the fan draws at startup. also comes with wireing diagram and can be used with a manuel over-ride switch for driver controled off & on plus provision for a/c fan control. . if you need one or want pictures email me.
bob
bcowanwheels@aol.com

I'd be interested if it was a different temperature range such as on at 180 and off at 160. It gets kinda hot in Las Vegas

BCOWANWHEELS 09-27-2007 11:33 PM

sorry it was 195 or 205 only for this machine so i got the 195 deg. i like on at 180 also but to do that you,ve got to run all the light duty parts and the relay. i like to keep it as simple as possible. less there is = lest to go wrong. you could always use the manuel switch for in town use.

70c10 09-28-2007 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 2355995)
I JUST FITTED MY NEW JEEP FAN IN MY SCHROUD. wow it fits perfect..... anybody need the specs where to make the notch in the botton. it will save you a lot of time and aggravation on where to make it " just right " pm me if i can help with specs. and photos.
thanks for the great tip my 250 I 6 needed this bad especially in the winter when no fan is needed. i,am real anxious to do a fuel milage run to compare. bet it get better mpg.........
bob

Could you post the pics and specs in this thread so when Krue moves the post to FAQ everything stays together?. Just curious, did you guys feel any power increase at all???. Thanks

DennyB 09-28-2007 07:46 AM

Is the fan with part number 52079528AB the one that this replaces. or will this one work too?
What is the over all diameter of this recall fan?

Scott68-93-97 09-28-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aitch (Post 2377262)
Called my local dealer and they said that they could not sell me the CBG4F250 fan since it was a replacement for a recall. Could sell it to another dealer but not to an individual.
Anyone else have this problem? Know a way around it?

My neighbor works for chrysler as a parts guy all the in stock ones were tagged for customers for the recall since each dealer only gets 5% of the vehicles they sold through that dealership so he ordered one for me I didn't have a problem, try another dealer or an aftermarket brand, they should be able to sell you whatever you want anyway I don't see why an individual cant get a part he's paying for even though it is a recall item, it might just be a inventory thing since they only receive 5% to keep on hand

Pont406 09-29-2007 01:14 AM

What are demensions for this fan? I tryed mark8 and it would not clear between water pump pulley and electric motor. Thanks

franks72 09-29-2007 05:35 PM

71 RAT great job, Just ordered mine today,hope it fits in a big block shroud as nice as the sm blk shroud..By the way where do you run your truck at , atco ,englishtown??

71Rat 09-29-2007 08:54 PM

franks 72: thank you, I actually picked up a big block shroud today so im also interested in seeing how it works (i guess the next step would be to buy a big block and install it). As far as what track I race at, Im from northern nj so when i get around to racing i race at island dragway, but I did race at englishtown twice, once with my 71 longbed and once with my dads srt8 300. did you go to the swap meet this weekend at e-town?

1-tonmudder 09-29-2007 09:49 PM

Has anyone done this on a 73 up truck/Blazer???

BCOWANWHEELS 09-29-2007 11:32 PM

19 inch openning is perfect steve-o.
how was mayberry days ?

franks72 09-30-2007 12:35 AM

71 RAT ..I didn't go to the swapmeat at englishtown had to work..

1-tonmudder 09-30-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

how was mayberry days ?

Kinda overrated IMO.

dan468 09-30-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Rat (Post 2380729)
franks 72: thank you, I actually picked up a big block shroud today so im also interested in seeing how it works (i guess the next step would be to buy a big block and install it). As far as what track I race at, Im from northern nj so when i get around to racing i race at island dragway, but I did race at englishtown twice, once with my 71 longbed and once with my dads srt8 300. did you go to the swap meet this weekend at e-town?

amazing thread (like you didn't already know that). I'm curious about the shroud differeces between BBC and SBC as I didn't know there were any differences. I'm putting my truck together right now and I'm using a 454 with aluminum heads, roller blah blah etc. How do you think this fan will work around 500HP w/o towing? I'm also assembling the truck with a SBC shroud cuz I didn't know of any differences. Whew, any help is appreciated.

71Rat 09-30-2007 03:04 PM

i just measured my bb shroud and it measures a 21" hole over the sb 19 1/4 hole.... so the fans going to be a little smaller in it if used. no idea how it will work cooling a big block hopefully someone will chime in if they have tried it.

Scott68-93-97 10-01-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Rat (Post 2381780)
i just measured my bb shroud and it measures a 21" hole over the sb 19 1/4 hole.... so the fans going to be a little smaller in it if used. no idea how it will work cooling a big block hopefully someone will chime in if they have tried it.

I have a sbc shroud with a 4 row bbc radiator I havent bolted it up cause I need to order the correct radiator mounts, I had to flaten out the 3 row mounts so the holes for the shroud are bent but the look like theyll work when I get the correct mounts, I just trecieved my fan the other day and Im ordering mounts within the next week so I'll let everyone know how it works out with the sbc shroud to bbc radiator

dan468 10-01-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott68-93-97 (Post 2383274)
I have a sbc shroud with a 4 row bbc radiator I havent bolted it up cause I need to order the correct radiator mounts, I had to flaten out the 3 row mounts so the holes for the shroud are bent but the look like theyll work when I get the correct mounts, I just trecieved my fan the other day and Im ordering mounts within the next week so I'll let everyone know how it works out with the sbc shroud to bbc radiator

Are you using a BBC engine? What's the HP?

Scott68-93-97 10-02-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan468 (Post 2383493)
Are you using a BBC engine? What's the HP?

No its a SBC but when I purchased my radiator a 4 row was only 5 more bucks so I bought it

screamin_c10 10-02-2007 07:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aitch (Post 2377262)
Called my local dealer and they said that they could not sell me the CBG4F250 fan since it was a replacement for a recall. Could sell it to another dealer but not to an individual.
Anyone else have this problem? Know a way around it?

Like many others I ordered mine from Moparparts.com. They are a little slow on the uptake, but the fan arrived today brand new in the box for just under $55.00 with shipping. :metal:

DennyB 10-03-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 2355995)
I JUST FITTED MY NEW JEEP FAN IN MY SCHROUD. wow it fits perfect..... anybody need the specs where to make the notch in the botton. it will save you a lot of time and aggravation on where to make it " just right " pm me if i can help with specs. and photos.
thanks for the great tip my 250 I 6 needed this bad especially in the winter when no fan is needed. i,am real anxious to do a fuel milage run to compare. bet it get better mpg.........
bob

We would love to have the dimensions and location for the notch in the bottom :)

Olden Days 10-08-2007 10:35 AM

I ordered one of those (without measuring first) for my 70 big block truck. Just so you know, if you have a big block with a "long pump" setup there is not enough clearance.

Ace in the hole 10-08-2007 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyB (Post 2386549)
We would love to have the dimensions and location for the notch in the bottom :)

Here is what he emailed me-

heres pic,s of the schroud mod. slot hole 1/4" wide, 2 1/2" from back ( engine side ) of schroud. slot is 2 1/2" long and then make a slot on each end of 1/4" slot 1/2" long by 1/8" wide. if you have any questions please call me i,ll be glad to help ya.
bob

BCOWANWHEELS 10-08-2007 04:29 PM

center up hole from side to side in schroud. call me if ya,ll have any questions i,ll be glad to help anybody out.
bob
1 423 384 8938

cysko9 10-08-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olden Days (Post 2393470)
I ordered one of those (without measuring first) for my 70 big block truck. Just so you know, if you have a big block with a "long pump" setup there is not enough clearance.

Not enough clearance eh? that sucks... was this with a 4 core and stock shroud? I've got one of those serpentine kits on my BB, you think that might help with space??

Brad 10-08-2007 07:41 PM

Just held a shroud up to my L6 today- it ain't gonna work. :(
Any guesses as to why? :lol:

Palf70Step 10-08-2007 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Too Long eh?
Brad

Try a dual fan shroud setup from a 3.8L Windstar Van. They supposedly pull alot of air, and the shroud lyes alot flatter than this set up. It's what I was going to use before I saw this thread

dan468 10-08-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cysko9 (Post 2393909)
Not enough clearance eh? that sucks... was this with a 4 core and stock shroud? I've got one of those serpentine kits on my BB, you think that might help with space??

what kind of serpentine kit do you use?

Olden Days 10-08-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cysko9 (Post 2393909)

Yes I am using 4 core radiator and stock BB shroud. Sorry , dont know what the clearance difference (if any) would be on the serpintine. Mine with long pump measures 3 1/8 from water pump shaft to the rad. the elec fan is 3". just cant squeak it in there and be safe. I will probably go with a dual stup like Palf70 showed.

BCOWANWHEELS 10-08-2007 09:39 PM

Brad Mine Worked Just Fine With My 250 I-6

cysko9 10-08-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan468 (Post 2394353)
what kind of serpentine kit do you use?

march performance serp kit.

is there any info on the windstar mod??

Brad 10-09-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 2394465)
Brad Mine Worked Just Fine With My 250 I-6

Hmmmmmm, interesting. I didn't unbolt anything but just held up the smallblock shroud and a late model Camaro fan and it looked like it would be too close. I figured the Jeep fan wouldn't be too different and didn't want to spend the $$$ only to have it not work.

Could you show good pics of it installed in your rig?

DennyB 10-09-2007 08:43 AM

Is anyone running this with AC?
I'm still not cooling the way it should and I'm beginning to think I have a radiator issue. When its only about 75-80* it gets up to about 200* in traffic.
Thats with a lead connected to the ac unit so the fan runs constantly when the ac is on (gotta have It flowing through the condenser to keep the high side pressure in check). I think I'll run a smaller fan on the condenser to run when the ac is on.

Also with the ac on high and the fan running mine drops to 12V at idle. What alternator are you all running. Mine is new but factory spec. I think 60-70 amp. Anyone know of a high amp unit that fits? part number?

Ok, now some positive info.

I decided to go with a adjustable thermostat. They were nearly $70 at my local parts store. Found one at Autozone for $35 and its a nice unit and easy to wire and includes the ac override which can be used for the ac or hooked to a toggle for a manual over ride. TorqFlo part# 733647. This is the radiator probe type.

Also here is a site with some good relay wiring schematics.

http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efaninstall.htm