The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

McMurphy 11-28-2011 10:56 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

I have a stud welder gun coming from Harbor Freight I am hoping to learn how to pull this corner out some more and not have to find some way of cutting a corner from a junk yard donor. I was able to get to some of it with a hammer and dolly (before I took the pics if you can believe it) and smoothed some of the mess out surprisingly well.

I wish Alan or Stodder were closer to teach me how to be a auto body masseuse and show me how they massage this stuff into behaving!

I know I will cut the bottom corners out and replace them, already looked those parts up. They are rust rotted anyways, but the upper half up to the body line I am concerned about. It doesnt have to be show quality, but nice would be.... well ..... nice!

McMurphy 11-28-2011 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sunday was a short day...
While I was dinking around in the back with the heater, and the bondo art lesson, my lovely wife was up front stripping the mud, undercoating, and paint down to the metal on my firewall so I could come along on Sunday and paint it.
We still need to get the splash pan part of it, but I fear that once I get started, I will just undo those last few bolts and go ahead and tilt my cab back to do the whole thing.

Guess this is the pre-test for my total frame off I will do about 10 years from now....

daverod 11-28-2011 11:13 PM

Thats some funny stuff.:lol::lol:

daverod 11-28-2011 11:15 PM

Seems like you could just beat it out from the back side. Least you get some good practice at welding up holes. Guess the PO did'nt have a welder.:lol:

McMurphy 11-28-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5036385)
Thats some funny stuff.:lol::lol:

Hah, Bumhugs....

Too many times in life I have to stop and laugh, especially when it is the suck.
My wife doesnt understand when I look at her and say "You know, this really sucks right now. But, if this were happening to someone else, it would be funnier than hell!"
Since being with me, she dont burst into tears any more.

Oddly though, she has learned how to glare pretty good....... :dohh:

LostMy65 11-29-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5036330)
Saturday reminded me of a quote:

Q: "How do you sculpt a horse?"
A: "You start with a large block of marble, and chisel off everything that does not look like a horse"

So in reality, How do you sculpt a truck?
A: You start with a slab of bondo and chisel off everything that does not look like metal....

Gentlemen I present you with my rear p-side cab corner;

That's the same area that was smashed on my 66.
I found a junk cab with that area that was still straight. I'll be patching it in this spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 11-29-2011 12:03 AM

You did do a good job with yours though.
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 11-29-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 5036527)
You did do a good job with yours though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I may play with it some more, but eventually I will probably cut it out and replace it like you are doing.
That is a bad spot.

flips72 12-01-2011 10:41 PM

if you were closer, alot closer, i would give you one i have a junk cab laying around,by the way whats the temp there now?

57truckguy 12-02-2011 01:34 AM

Oddly though, she has learned how to glare pretty good.......

Yes 43 years of practice have made mine a professionall glareer... LOL

Oh I get the "you really don't need that " a lot of the time... LMAO

McMurphy 12-02-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5042530)
if you were closer, alot closer, i would give you one i have a junk cab laying around,by the way whats the temp there now?

10* above and snowing at the moment. Thanks for the donation thought too, but really my cab isnt all that bad. The normal floor rot and cab corners... just this p-side back of the cab thing is the only bummer really.

Not complaining tho, once I fix this I will be alo smarter than I am right now.

Quote:

Yes 43 years of practice have made mine a professionall glareer... LOL

Oh I get the "you really don't need that " a lot of the time... LMAO
We are coming up on 14 years this Christmas. So far we seem to be good for each other. She just doesnt always think I am as funny as I think I am.

williamsboys 12-02-2011 02:17 PM

I know what you mean when you said only four bolts to the cab. I didnt plan on taking mine to the frame at all but once i got the front off then the bed my dad just kept saying o come on its only four bolts. So finally i broke in and we pulled it. Its gana take longer then expected now but at least i shouldnt have to go back on much of anything. But keep up the good work man. Looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 12-02-2011 10:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamsboys (Post 5043622)
I know what you mean when you said only four bolts to the cab. I didnt plan on taking mine to the frame at all but once i got the front off then the bed my dad just kept saying o come on its only four bolts. So finally i broke in and we pulled it. Its gana take longer then expected now but at least i shouldnt have to go back on much of anything. But keep up the good work man. Looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man, though for the record you are doing a heck of a better job on yours than I am on mine!!
Mine is a rattle can resto.... something to hold me over for the next 10 years or so until I can send my frame off to be powder coated like so many of the others here!

Just sealed the deal on a 1985 GMC Sierra yesterday for $1,200.00
Young guy I got it from picked it up last summer and was told it has 20k on a new crate engine. Odometer only reads 70k.
I dunno but engine looks clean enough, starts right up and does not ping, rattle, lope, or any of the other things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.......

I hope to get a ton of stuff off this;
350 cid engine with all the attachments (alt, starter, ps pump,)
Power steering
Power Disc Brakes
tilt column (gotta look to see)
door locks
tail gate latch assembly (hopefully I can figure some way to mod it into my stock one)
Transmission if I absolutely need it (hope not, want manual OD 4speed)
donor sheet metal for body work and giggles...
some of the wiring harness
radiator ( I misspelled that didnt I?)
And whatever odds and ends I decide I want or need from it...

Right now I have lent it to one of my soldiers to drive until I can work a deal with my neighbors for their side of the garage. Still a tad too chilly out there to be doing much of anything other than running inside from the car!

With any luck the front cross member will bolt right up to my 66 frame, and save me from messing with steering linkage and motor mounts. More to follow on that.

A couple pics of the sacrificial lamb chop..

57truckguy 12-03-2011 01:42 AM

Hey mcmurphy, I just picked up a deal on an 86 just turned 50000 miles and garaged since day one... no rust at all v8 auto air power sterring power brakes deluxe cab.. real sweet heart of a deal.. Litterly is owned by a little old lady. truck was her husbands who died in 88.. she still drives it every once in a while.. The only thing I see that is a problem is it is BROWN butt ugle brown.. LOL I'll live with it.

flips72 12-03-2011 02:42 PM

good score on the truck, should have alot of good parts for your truck:metal:

McMurphy 12-04-2011 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok...
So yesterday I took my read diff cover off again and shot these pics of the gear ratio.
So far so good eh?
Then I took off the gasket that was on there, and started working out that curl you get on the bottom of your pumpkin cover from.... Ohhhh lets say, jacking the rig up by the rear diff..... And though I was super careful taking the gasket off, chances are it is the original and since I have it off I may as well change it.
With old gasket in hand, and a small shopping list, off to the local parts store I go. Then I stand at the counter for 45 minutes while the old guy tries to look it up on the computer...then in the books...then takes the gasket in the back and tries an open-the-box comparison... only to return and tell me they dont have it.
I would not be so frustrated with this, if it wasnt for the stupid (or at least seemingly stupid to me) questions involved.
Me: I need a 12bolt posi rear diff cover gasket for a 66 C10 half ton, and the gear oil for that please.
Steven Hawkings of Auto Parts: What size engine is that?
Me: ???? in line-6 250 or 292
Him: Power Steering?
Me: WTF ???? :dohh: :thud:

Could anyone explain to me what difference anything forward of the drive shaft has to do with the rear diff gasket?
Please?

66ChevyMax 12-04-2011 05:03 PM

Been there done that, just went through the same thing for wheel studs. grrrrr

allaboutchevelles 12-04-2011 05:25 PM

LOL at those silly ???s. I normally only go to carquest or napa for my auto parts. The guys that work there around here know what I need and if they dont have it they order it and have it by 1:00 oclock the next day. The parts they sell are most the time just like the origional parts and fit right the first time.

McMurphy 12-04-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5047281)
Been there done that, just went through the same thing for wheel studs. grrrrr

I feel for you...

Quote:

The guys that work there around here know what I need and if they dont have it they order it and have it by 1:00 oclock the next day. The parts they sell are most the time just like the origional parts and fit right the first time.
By the time I get a parts store familer with me enough to get like that, the Army moves me half way around the world :metal:

Today was not much photogenic progress.
The wife finished up the bottom half of the firewall for me and got that painted. She also started cleaning up the front clip area of the frame, but we gotta pull that front cross member to get much more progress in that area. I think I will make one of those 2x6 with inflated caster wheels like someone else did on this board, and go ahead and pull that front x-member next weekend so we can get that all cleaned up.
I got the boo-boos in the back of my cab welded up today. Far from pretty but after some filler and paint, only we few will know !!

I also modified the original sending unit cap of the Blazer fuel cell to accept the original sending unit from the truck. A little bend and flex of the float and fuel inlet and that will be done so I can use the original fuel guage.

My welding is starting to improve. Shining a bright light on the area I want to weld helps alot since I can see what it is I am trying to do that way. Not sure if I want to try a auto darkening lens on my hood tho.... Any thoughts on that?

57truckguy 12-05-2011 02:07 AM

I switched to an auto lens a couple of years ago and it sure helps to be able to see where you are starting... LOL these old eyes aren't what they used to be. LOL
curious what gear is that.. can't seem to make out the numbers on my screen.. ????

collins10672 12-05-2011 02:22 AM

the donor truck you bought looks to me like it is a 3/4 ton.if it is you probably don't want to change suspension since it is 8 lug.

McMurphy 12-05-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57truckguy (Post 5048431)
I switched to an auto lens a couple of years ago and it sure helps to be able to see where you are starting... LOL these old eyes aren't what they used to be. LOL
curious what gear is that.. can't seem to make out the numbers on my screen.. ????

I have a buddy at work who has an auto lens, they sound pretty cool.

The numbers as best I could read them are:

3817778 11:41 0/2 3 69 2

Whatever all that means :help: :lol:

As ever, thanks for taking a look!

flips72 12-05-2011 08:22 PM

the gear is a 373 (44-11). i know exactly what your talking about with the parts guy, it looks like they would hire some people that know cars instead of computers.

McMurphy 12-05-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins10672 (Post 5048456)
the donor truck you bought looks to me like it is a 3/4 ton.if it is you probably don't want to change suspension since it is 8 lug.

I will have to check on the size of the truck Collins, when I originally looked at it I was thinking engine and other bolt on-bolt off upgrades.

Quote:

the gear is a 373 (44-11).
so is that good Flips?
I could not tell you the difference between gear ratios unless we were on bicycles. Even then I only know the basics!

Thanks for the looking and the comments guys !! :metal:

flips72 12-05-2011 09:36 PM

thats what i am running in mine, but i dont do a lot of interstate driving so it works great for me. if you think it might be to low, your doner truck more than likely has a 700r4 in it and that will be perfect with your gear. but you could always trade it for a case of mountain due and a 3.08:lol: i sure hope its a half ton truck, pop one of the hubcaps and count the lugs and hope for five.

McMurphy 12-05-2011 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5049903)
thats what i am running in mine, but i dont do a lot of interstate driving so it works great for me. if you think it might be to low, your doner truck more than likely has a 700r4 in it and that will be perfect with your gear. but you could always trade it for a case of mountain due and a 3.08:lol: i sure hope its a half ton truck, pop one of the hubcaps and count the lugs and hope for five.

I am planning on a 4sp manual transmission, and towing a trailer with another car on it for the interstate...Hopefully that will be Ok.
I looked at the registration and title for the 85 Sierra but it does not say if it is half or quarter ton. I will pop a hub cap in the next day or two on it and check.

You know, I actually feel sorry for customer service folk when they are dealing with me....
I bought an auto darkening hood today, but the purchase process is never pretty when you are having me in front of you.

AIH Clerk: We have these in 2 styles, the hot head and the bone head (referring to the graphics)
Me: Which one will make my welding better?
Clerk looking at me like I am retarded: I dont think either one will help with that....
Me: I dont care then, guess it is like go fast stripes on a car....
Clerk: Hot Head it is!

And so a pic of my new toy that may or may not make me a better welder!

Heheheheh thanks for looking guys!!

allaboutchevelles 12-06-2011 01:23 AM

those auto darkening helments are the ticket. You will love it!!

KroAutomotiveInc 12-06-2011 02:36 AM

looking good man wish mine was step side some times really wish it was a 4x4 step side

flips72 12-06-2011 08:18 AM

nice hood, and it will help with your welding i guarantee it.

McMurphy 12-06-2011 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5050370)
those auto darkening helments are the ticket. You will love it!!

Well ..... see below.

Quote:

looking good man wish mine was step side some times really wish it was a 4x4 step side
Thanks Kro, I am quite a ways behind you though still...

Quote:

nice hood, and it will help with your welding i guarantee it.
Ok, not to be a whiney little biotch but I really REALLY cannot make this stuff up. In the pic you will see the instructions for use on the new welding hood.
See where it says "NOTE: Expose the solar cell to bright sunlight for 30 minutes before use" ????
You would not think that is a problem here on planet Earth... but right now we only get daylight from 10am to 3pm and it is not necessarily direct or bright.

Le Sigh. :waah:

This fits my definition of irony.
"Irony is Fate's way of flipping you the finger!"

I wonder if taking it to a tanning salon and cooking in one of their beds for 30 min would work?? :lol:

KroAutomotiveInc 12-06-2011 02:26 PM

thats wired on your welding hood never heard anything like that the arc from your welder should do the job its much brighter then the sun

daverod 12-06-2011 03:26 PM

I would'nt worry about it. Instructions are way overated.:smoke: If I was you I would be more worrired about that sunlight thing.

allaboutchevelles 12-06-2011 08:09 PM

Yeah my welding helment never sees the sunlight because im most the time welding in my shop with the door open at night. It never goes dead and it just sits on top of my welder when not in use. I would put it on and walk up to a bright light and it should dim.

McMurphy 12-06-2011 10:55 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
I just think it is funny when I read that I looked out the window at the 20 hours of darkness we have right now and just figured it was my Irish luck laughing at me.... :lol: yeah like that. ;)

McMurphy 12-08-2011 11:27 PM

Oh Oh Oh .... gots my stud welder and spot weld tool today :metal:
I am going to mess some stuff up with weekend... or fix some stuff.... whatever!

C@rnut001 12-09-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5047168)
Ok...
So yesterday I took my read diff cover off again and shot these pics of the gear ratio.
So far so good eh?
Then I took off the gasket that was on there, and started working out that curl you get on the bottom of your pumpkin cover from.... Ohhhh lets say, jacking the rig up by the rear diff..... And though I was super careful taking the gasket off, chances are it is the original and since I have it off I may as well change it.
With old gasket in hand, and a small shopping list, off to the local parts store I go. Then I stand at the counter for 45 minutes while the old guy tries to look it up on the computer...then in the books...then takes the gasket in the back and tries an open-the-box comparison... only to return and tell me they dont have it.
I would not be so frustrated with this, if it wasnt for the stupid (or at least seemingly stupid to me) questions involved.
Me: I need a 12bolt posi rear diff cover gasket for a 66 C10 half ton, and the gear oil for that please.
Steven Hawkings of Auto Parts: What size engine is that?
Me: ???? in line-6 250 or 292
Him: Power Steering?
Me: WTF ???? :dohh: :thud:

Could anyone explain to me what difference anything forward of the drive shaft has to do with the rear diff gasket?
Please?

It is called answering the questions in the computer... I used to be an assistant manager with O'Reilly's before I went back to teaching.... most guys behind the counter don't even know what you are asking for...

Oh, before I get any further, thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country! :metal::metal::metal:

and I love the fact that you are redoing this truck in Alaska. I live in bush Alaska and I have not made it up to Fairbanks area yet, but hopefully I will soon.

C@rnut001 12-09-2011 12:53 AM

Oh and I used to have a '66 1/2 ton long bed that I found that only had 80,000 miles on it.... had to sell it to my brother when I moved....sigh....

Keep up the great work on yours!

57truckguy 12-09-2011 06:05 PM

That helmet must have a photo cell power supply for the autodarking to work. Mine has a small battery I have to change every other year or so. No flames on mine. LOL A guy I know had his lens special made for his bad eyes.. I do not know what it cost, but he has more money then god anyway.. LOL Anyway he will probably use very little anyway.. does most of his truck building in the catalog and check book... If you know what I mean.:waah:

flips72 12-09-2011 06:48 PM

did your donor truck turn out to be a 1/2 ton? when you get done with the stud gun can i borrow it:lol: , the back of my cab is for sure going to need one,looks like someone used to store their boots between the cab and bed its dented from one end to the other right below the window.

McMurphy 12-09-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5055765)
It is called answering the questions in the computer... I used to be an assistant manager with O'Reilly's before I went back to teaching.... most guys behind the counter don't even know what you are asking for...

Oh, before I get any further, thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country! :metal::metal::metal:

and I love the fact that you are redoing this truck in Alaska. I live in bush Alaska and I have not made it up to Fairbanks area yet, but hopefully I will soon.

Wow ... Teaching!
Now there is a service to our country!
You are welcome for my humble contributions to our nation, it truely is an honor to serve!
Yeah these Alaskan winters are just too long and too harsh for a lower 48 guy like me. I had to find something that was equal parts destruction and construction for me to keep my sanity.
Come on up, i have a frig full of beer!

Quote:

That helmet must have a photo cell power supply for the autodarking to work. Mine has a small battery I have to change every other year or so. No flames on mine. LOL A guy I know had his lens special made for his bad eyes.. I do not know what it cost, but he has more money then god anyway.. LOL Anyway he will probably use very little anyway.. does most of his truck building in the catalog and check book... If you know what I mean.
There are a pair of AAA batteries that go inside as well... I assumed there was something about the photo cell though.
I will admit I did some of the work on my Tempest thru the catalog and checkbook.
I can swap an engine out, anything more technical than that and I am either begging or buying someone to do it LOL

Quote:

did your donor truck turn out to be a 1/2 ton? when you get done with the stud gun can i borrow it , the back of my cab is for sure going to need one,looks like someone used to store their boots between the cab and bed its dented from one end to the other right below the window.
We been working some long long days in the Hospital this week Flips, so no. Have not gotten out there to pop a hub cap on it yet. Working from dark to dark (we work in the Operating Room so there are no outside looking windows) really puts a damper on doing much of anything after work. Especially when it is cold to boot!

I looked at a couple of the stud guns at my fave pawn shop. The prices were almost the same as getting one new from HF, but did not have the 100 studs or the slide hammer. So for like $10 more I got the whole kit; I just had to wait a week or two...

Gonna read the manual with my coffee in the morning and then go out and play with my new toys!

So far I think I have about $550 into the Truck, and about $3,000 in tools for it.

Go figure.