The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project 69SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555682)

~Whitey~ 12-18-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Project 69SWB

3 Attachment(s)
I got the rocker cut off for the most part.. It was welded on with so many booger welds in all kinds of places and a real pain. I'll be replacing the rear bottom piece on pillar, the rocker since I had to cut it off, part of the floor at the front pillar, the front pillar will also get replaced, and most likely the inner rocker. I braced the pillar before I cut it from the floor and will do the same to the front before I replace it. Not sure about the drivers side just yet... one thing at a time is all I can do. ;-)

67cheby 12-18-2012 02:16 PM

nice cab cart !

RWB-713 12-18-2012 02:41 PM

A hard learned piece of advice: If you have to cut the rear cab floor corner:

A. Get the patch panels before you cut, and decide if just the side panel will get it done, or if you need the rear panel too ( I'm going off what LMC sells, which is what I used, but I think most are similar)

B. Make sure to check and see how those two patch panels mate as far the alignment of the jack "dimple". Mine weren't quite straight and i had to do some work to get that dimple to be "close enough"

C. If you have to use both panels, cut & spot the rear (when i say rear i mean the piece that would be parrallel with the back cab wall) on first! it's a challenge to do the side first, and then cut the rear to fit.

glad to see your makin headway! I just got the passenger side of mine back together last weekend minus the cab corner, and was decently happy with how it's turned out, now waitin on a cab corner to get here so i can out that on ( I measured once... not twice. made an oops. )

~Whitey~ 12-18-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5765279)
nice cab cart !

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5765315)
A hard learned piece of advice: If you have to cut the rear cab floor corner:

A. Get the patch panels before you cut, and decide if just the side panel will get it done, or if you need the rear panel too ( I'm going off what LMC sells, which is what I used, but I think most are similar)

B. Make sure to check and see how those two patch panels mate as far the alignment of the jack "dimple". Mine weren't quite straight and i had to do some work to get that dimple to be "close enough"

C. If you have to use both panels, cut & spot the rear (when i say rear i mean the piece that would be parrallel with the back cab wall) on first! it's a challenge to do the side first, and then cut the rear to fit.

glad to see your makin headway! I just got the passenger side of mine back together last weekend minus the cab corner, and was decently happy with how it's turned out, now waitin on a cab corner to get here so i can out that on ( I measured once... not twice. made an oops. )

That sounds like some great advice. I'm entering into uncharted territory here... just going slow and trying to think things through so I don't screw up my cab. I figured I will get everything tacked in and then hang a door to make sure my gaps look good.

RWB-713 12-18-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69swb (Post 5765350)
That sounds like some great advice. I'm entering into uncharted territory here... just going slow and trying to think things through so I don't screw up my cab. I figured I will get everything tacked in and then hang a door to make sure my gaps look good.

That's how I did it too, just tacked the rockers & pillars together and then hung a door. Almost found a huge problem with my doors, but it turns out I was overlooking that the door hinges adjust on both the door side, and the cab side. Tryin to get it to line up with only the cab adjustment wasn't going well. I still have a little repair to do on the door, but the gaps all came out very nice I thought, expecially considering how much i had to replace, and that it's my first time doing this.

I as well, like your table/dolly.. I see me having numerous uses for one of those in the near future. Especially since I think i'm about to have to clean out part of my shop to make room for some newq parts and some new equipment :)

~Whitey~ 01-03-2013 10:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5765516)
That's how I did it too, just tacked the rockers & pillars together and then hung a door. Almost found a huge problem with my doors, but it turns out I was overlooking that the door hinges adjust on both the door side, and the cab side. Tryin to get it to line up with only the cab adjustment wasn't going well. I still have a little repair to do on the door, but the gaps all came out very nice I thought, expecially considering how much i had to replace, and that it's my first time doing this.

I as well, like your table/dolly.. I see me having numerous uses for one of those in the near future. Especially since I think i'm about to have to clean out part of my shop to make room for some newq parts and some new equipment :)

Thanks RWB-713.. I didn't know either that the doors were adjustable on both sides. That will definitely help with hanging them and making the gaps perfect.

I got a little done this week. I got the rear pillar repaired and had to do part of the inner rocker on the rear as well.. Made sure to clean out the support and spray it with some rust convertor, then moved on the the front pillar.

I bought the rear pillar, front pillar, kick panel and passenger side front floor peice from LMC. Everything fits great but the front floor piece. It's a total wash and waste of money on that... I don't see how it could fit without just absolutely boogering it in there. The bends are not correct, nothing lines up.. I've hammered on it, cut on it, cussed at it a few times :-) and I just don't see how without massive modifications to make it fit. I'm going to fabricate my own piece for that part of the floor and inner rocker, that what I'm working on now. here's a few pics of where I am.

~Whitey~ 01-03-2013 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Also picked up my wheels, but still need to get tires. Went with Polished AR TT's 17x9.5's for the back and 17x8's for the front. Thank to lolife99 for helping me with that.

67cheby 01-03-2013 11:05 AM

SWEET, those will look great !

Bennett68C10 01-03-2013 11:06 AM

Nice wheels, one of my favorites
Posted via Mobile Device

gearys 5600 01-03-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69swb (Post 5793073)
Also picked up my wheels, but still need to get tires. Went with Polished AR TT's 17x9.5's for the back and 17x8's for the front. Thank to lolife99 for helping me with that.

Hard to beat the AR TT's ... I love em!

jmking9 01-03-2013 03:50 PM

Hey, Im the guy that bought your trim. I just found your build thread and all I can say is, wow you have been busy. You have made tons of progress since I saw your truck. It's looking GREAT!! I Just got my cab rust repair done, so I know your pain right now. Anyway, keep up the good work and Ill be following your build. -Jonathan

~Whitey~ 01-03-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5793081)
SWEET, those will look great !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5793083)
Nice wheels, one of my favorites
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearys 5600 (Post 5793084)
Hard to beat the AR TT's ... I love em!

Thanks all.. I've been eyeballing these and the Raceline Strikers for a while; couldn't afford the Strikers, yet I don't feel like I settled at all with these.. Love them, they do look alot better in person than online. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 5793616)
Hey, Im the guy that bought your trim. I just found your build thread and all I can say is, wow you have been busy. You have made tons of progress since I saw your truck. It's looking GREAT!! I Just got my cab rust repair done, so I know your pain right now. Anyway, keep up the good work and Ill be following your build. -Jonathan

Hey Jonathan! I still have your number plugged in my phone.. Almost called you a couple times when I was doing the disc brake conversion, but I managed with a little patience and some crawling/reading around on this forum. I have been busy for sure and I'm going to get this cab lined out if it's the last thing I do. Do you have that trim hung yet?

STOCKISH 01-03-2013 05:45 PM

Truck is looking great man, cant wait to see the finished metal work!

~Whitey~ 01-03-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne (Post 5793788)
Truck is looking great man, cant wait to see the finished metal work!

Hey thanks bud.. I can't wait to FINISH the metal work!

I like that quote in your signature about the crossthread being better than loctite. haha

jmking9 01-03-2013 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jonathan! I still have your number plugged in my phone.. Almost called you a couple times when I was doing the disc brake conversion, but I managed with a little patience and some crawling/reading around on this forum. I have been busy for sure and I'm going to get this cab lined out if it's the last thing I do. Do you have that trim hung yet?[/QUOTE]

I stripped the paint/anodizing, fixed a few dings, re-polished, and re-painted/cleared them. They look awesome and are ready to go on when i get it painted.

~Whitey~ 01-04-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 5794224)
I stripped the paint/anodizing, fixed a few dings, re-polished, and re-painted/cleared them. They look awesome and are ready to go on when i get it painted.

Sweet! Those cleaned up super nice. Be sure and share some pics when you get it done.

~Whitey~ 01-09-2013 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally had some time to get back to working on the Cab.. Lot's of cutting, lots of grinding. Couldn't get the front passenger floor peice from LMC to fit correctly so I had to cut pieces and lay them in one at a time. I did use part of it though

~Whitey~ 01-09-2013 01:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
When I got to the front pillar I laid the old piece over the top and drill the holes so it would line back up correctly. Anywhere I need to seem the pieces together I just drilled a small hole all the way through and filled it in with the mig. I also opened up the floor over the support and fixed a little rust problem there, then coated it all real good with RustFix

~Whitey~ 01-09-2013 01:46 PM

Next I have to cut a section from my donor truck for the cab corners, glad I warmed up on this other stuff first... It's going to be interesting.

~Whitey~ 01-09-2013 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not quite ready for the rockers yet, but I did just get them in the mail today so I just laid them in to see how they would fit. They fit like a glove and are made very well. These are from LMC... Everything I bought as far as CAB repair pieces from LMC has been great, the front and rear pillars, kick panel, and rockers have been great. The exception is the front floor repair panel... I really had to slice and dice it and only end up using small pieces of it. I have Cab corners coming should be here in the next couple days.

Xeen 01-09-2013 09:36 PM

That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.

RWB-713 01-10-2013 12:55 AM

Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!

~Whitey~ 01-10-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5807299)
That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.

Thanks! That's the plan. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5807834)
Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!

Will do... Hopefully they'll work just fine. :-) They should be here tomorrow and I can get this side finished up and move on the the drivers side.

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!

RWB-713 01-11-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69swb (Post 5810360)
Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!

Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

mcbassin 01-11-2013 05:27 PM

Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5810815)
Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

I got sidetracked this evening so didn't get to mess with the corners... You'll see why in then next post! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5810944)
Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed

Thanks, and I know what you mean... It can be a lot of work at times, but I enjoy it. I hope to keep you entertained!

~Whitey~ 01-11-2013 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got my tires in. I went with Toyo Proxes ST II's. I've ran Toyo's for a long time and have never been disappointed by them and these look sick. They're a 1 directional tire so you gotta mount lefts and rights correctly. This will make rotating a little more of a hassle but I'm not worried about that at all.

On the front is 17x8 with 4"bs wrapped up with 255/60's
on the back is 17x9.5's with 5.5 bs wrapped up with 275/60's

I like a little more sidewall than the 50's have and I'm not sure yet, but I might need a spacer on the backs.

I could sit out in the garage and stare at these all night, but taking the night off for some time with my wife.

derrickmanx1 01-11-2013 09:57 PM

Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.

~Whitey~ 01-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrickmanx1 (Post 5811558)
Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.

Thank you. I'm really happy with everything so far. I miss driving it and can't wait to get it back on the road.

jmking9 01-13-2013 10:57 AM

GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.

sduckworth13 01-13-2013 11:32 AM

Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 5814323)
GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.

Thanks! These are just as you described pretty much. They're nice and thick but the stamp is all wrong I'd say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5814391)
Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.

Thanks for the compliment. You guys are right... These LMC cab corners aren't the best fit... I messed around with them a bit earlier but didn't have a lot of time. It just seems like the are too wide and once attached to the pillar they won't attached to the rear floor without some serious bending and pounding. It's like they need about a 1/4 inch cut out of them. Ill mess with them a bit more tonight or tomorrow and if they're not gonna work ill look at some of the other you all mentioned. I don't know why I don't look through the vendor board more often... Might have save me the time and trouble with these.

Do you have a link for the Tabco corners?
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics. You can see what I'm dealing with on these LMC cab corners. I don't want that large gap where it meets the floor. The previous repair was done that way and then filled in with seam sealer. It made the back corners of the cab flare out and looked terrible. I guess I'm gonna try some different corners from whoever is closest to me so hopefully I'll get them this week.

~Whitey~ 01-13-2013 09:34 PM

These corners from LMC are not gonna work out. I mean I could slap them on there but they will be bowed out in the back that's not acceptable to me.

Ordered a set from GMC Pauls could not find anything for Tabco other than inner corners ?? .. We'll see how long it takes the GMCPauls to get here. Price was reasonable, shipping is alittle steep. Hope the extra $$$ is worth it. stay tuned on that.

UPDATE: Asked GMCPauls about the shipping cause it seemed a little high. Apparently I was charged double by accident and they have made it right. Great customer service.

Xeen 01-13-2013 10:13 PM

Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.

sduckworth13 01-13-2013 10:42 PM

http://tabcobodyparts.com/ here is the link for Tabco sheetmetal
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.

~Whitey~ 01-14-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5815965)
Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.

Since they're wider I bet you're right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 5816058)
http://tabcobodyparts.com/ here is the link for Tabco sheetmetal
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.

Thanks Scott. I had found that site but couldn't never add anything to my cart and checkout, kept getting errors. I wanted to get those because they're made in USA but needed to get something ordered quick so went ahead and got GMC Paul's. I sure hope they fit. Fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 01-14-2013 12:13 AM

Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless. :lol:

sduckworth13 01-14-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5816365)
Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless. :lol:

Thats what I did, I bought several right hand cab corners till I went with the Tabco. I now have a cab corner stash that I use for my misc
patches.