The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   sprint_9's 72 C10 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=589818)

Jason7121 08-04-2017 09:26 AM

Re: sprint_9's 72 C10 Project

I have never used photo bucket but yeah they can suck a fat 1

MMcMasters 08-04-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8007629)
I have never used photo bucket but yeah they can suck a fat 1

Can I join in on the "photobucket can suck it" bandwagon?

sprint_9 08-04-2017 08:26 PM

I read over a thread on here last night and found that they are working on a couple different fixes. Looked like it may take a few weeks to get something in place

drfloyd 08-04-2017 08:44 PM

Subscribed. Nice work.

sprint_9 08-04-2017 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished my stand and got the cab lifted onto it. I lifted from my seat holes which worked pretty good once I got my rigging figured out. It should be a nice way to get it back on the frame once its painted.

Started cutting on the passenger side.

Not sure what is worse, spot welds or rivets.

gringoloco 08-05-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprint_9 (Post 8006838)
Also a side note, Photobucket can suck it.

Not really sure what to do with my thread since over half the pictures are gone now, half temped to start a new one

Lots of work, but you could copy your pics from PB, host them in a gallery here on the site, then plug them back into your previous posts

sprint_9 08-06-2017 08:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drfloyd (Post 8008057)
Subscribed. Nice work.

Thanks

Continued cutting and fitting my floor. New rule in the shop, measure and fit 10 times, then cut once.

I ended up really screwing up my floor extension, I checked it a couple times, drew a line on it, cut on the outside of the line and ended up way too short on the front. Only thing I can figure is it wasn't sitting right when I was fitting it. So I spent most of a day redoing that, patching it, etc. Good practice welding I guess.

I ordered some cab corners from classicparts.com and they came Counterpart instead of Key/Triplus, huge disappointment. The body line on one is like double creased, the other I cut to see it I could make it fit and it was 3/8 of an inch off on the radius around the cab. So Im ordering a different set from my trusted vendor.

Jason7121 08-06-2017 10:29 PM

Some progress is better than no progress I guess. I spent about 20 hrs installing push button start I'm my truck haha. My l.e.d brake lights were causing back feed voltage in my push to start module and took me forever to figure out. I feel your pain!

sprint_9 08-07-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8010372)
Some progress is better than no progress I guess. I spent about 20 hrs installing push button start I'm my truck haha. My l.e.d brake lights were causing back feed voltage in my push to start module and took me forever to figure out. I feel your pain!

My inexperience in this type of work shows, but there is only one way to learn and I do kind of enjoy it, especially welding.

I saw you mention that push button start and I think an alarm system too in another thread somewhere, what are the details of it? I kind of want some kind of alarm system.

Jason7121 08-07-2017 11:09 AM

Company is digital guard dawg. You can run power door locks through it also along with push button start.

sprint_9 08-07-2017 03:01 PM

I'll have to check them out, power locks would be nice too.

sprint_9 08-11-2017 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Took a day off work today, got the front floor support cut out and tacked in, rear floor support mostly fitted, outer floor ready to weld in. From there I hung my door and got it aligned, atleast the best that I can get with what I have to work with. Everything is pretty good with the exception of the top corner where the vent window would be, that gap is pretty narrow and widens as it goes lower down the angle of the windshield pillar, everywhere else on the door is a pretty even gap.

Once I got a fairly satisfactory gap I worked on some loose mock up of my outer rocker and cab corner. Rocker doesnt fit too bad, I need to go toward the fender some or maybe add a little filler piece. Cab corner is terrible. I have two different sets of cab corners and both are garbage. Im going to cut one up tomorrow and see if I can get it bent around to fit, its definitely going to be a challenge.

Jason7121 08-12-2017 02:55 AM

Progress looks great your getting there one battle at a time. Fitment issue take a long time to perfect but make it that much nicer in the end.

sprint_9 08-16-2017 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some of last weekends progress. Tomorrow I hope to have the lower front door pillar welded in, get the door rehung and everything aligned, and finally weld the cab corner and rocker on. I was able to make some slits in the folded lip of the cab corner and get it to fit relatively close, I can push and manipulate it as I tack it in to get it finalized.

gringoloco 08-16-2017 09:01 PM

Yeah man! Keep it up. Pictures don't do justice to the amount of work that you've done

sprint_9 08-20-2017 11:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8014776)
Progress looks great your getting there one battle at a time. Fitment issue take a long time to perfect but make it that much nicer in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8018154)
Yeah man! Keep it up. Pictures don't do justice to the amount of work that you've done

Thanks guys.

Here are some details from this past weekend, got the passenger side done for the most part, I have to weld the bottom of the inner and outer rocker together but I am going to do that on the inside lip, so Im going to flip the cab on its back one more time for that, also need to do a little finish work on the floor supports at that time. As well as some work to do on the gap between the rocker and cab corner, it has that great aftermarket panel gap that needs a little work.

sprint_9 08-20-2017 11:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started on the drivers side, it wasn't rusted as bad in spots but worse in others when compared to the passenger side. In any case its getting the same treatment, so far it looks like my cab corner will fit a little better, and the rocker a little worse. Need to hang the door to get a better idea though.

gringoloco 08-21-2017 10:32 AM

Killing it! Great work

sprint_9 08-31-2017 06:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8021734)
Killing it! Great work

Thank you sir, your's is coming along nicely too.

Figured I would do a small update before this weekend. Most of last weekend was spent fitting my floor supports and rocker mock up. Rocker mock up was very time consuming to get a consistent gap, I ended up cutting a spot weld on it and bending it to get it to fit, it was sitting on kind of a hill in relation to the door and hitting on the front edge were the door pivots when opened and closed.

I also had a pretty significant amount of damage to my lower front door pillar, the replacements really seemed crappy and in changing them I would loose some of my reference points for that lower fender bolt hole, so I cut the bad out and used the replacement for a patch panel.

And finally I was never really happy how my intake came out, an improvement yes, but just not what a I wanted. I ended up with a Doorman Gen 3 truck intake and shaved it down. Its actually a two piece intake so that made it very easy to work on. Ive got a little porting to do on the intake runners and it will be ready to bolt on. Im a lot happier how this one turned out and how it will look on the engine.

sprint_9 09-16-2017 11:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had kind of a lull in my updating, same old stuff on the rockers, so not much to report. I have really been fighting the drivers side. The cab corner was a pain, I ended up going through two cab corners, luckily the second one fit with some force. The rocker has been even more difficult, I cut my first one all to pieces trying to get it to sit right in relation to the door and it just wouldn't fit without major surgery, so I bought a second one and Im going to try that tomorrow.

In the meantime I really needed a break from the nightmare of rocker replacement so I moved on to the firewall. Welded my Vintage Air panel in, and smoothed the passenger corner and wire gutter. Have a few more holes to fill and some grinding that that will be done.

Jason7121 09-16-2017 11:49 PM

Looking really good like the intake and firewall work.

sprint_9 09-17-2017 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Small fitment issue, door gap was pretty good though.

gringoloco 09-17-2017 06:32 PM

Looks good!

sprint_9 09-18-2017 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The wait is over.

Jason7121 09-18-2017 12:39 PM

Like the wheel choice. 20"?

sprint_9 09-18-2017 01:28 PM

20x8.5, 5.5 bs. 20x10, 5.5 bs.

Jason7121 09-18-2017 03:30 PM

Sweet it's going to look killer

sprint_9 10-03-2017 09:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been a few weeks since I have updated

Finished up the welding and metal work on the cab for the most part, began work on a paint booth, and started mocking up the body one last time before I send some stuff to be blasted. The mock up has proven useful as I have found a couple gaps that need some attention and some fitment issues with the passenger door, Thanks to Brian (MARTINSR) for setting me on the right track with it.

I should maybe be ready to send the cab off to be blasted next week if things go well with the paint booth garage door and exhaust fan this weekend. I have one gap to work on that is cab related and the rest are on the fenders and doors.

When I put the cab on its back I had to take a step back take a picture and look at it, it was hard to believe I was almost done with it, and hard to believe how much work that was, what a relief.

sprint_9 10-26-2017 09:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time to update.

Been working on the truck way to much but getting alot done. Its not going to finish itself and I want to be able to drive it next summer so I need to have a good winter.

The focus right now is on getting the cab, core support, and inner fenders done. All of those have been blasted and are in various stages of being completed. The core support I think is done as of tonight, I did a lot of learning and freshening up on technique on that piece. Bottom of the cab is done as well.

Also nailed down a basecoat color finally. I was originally going with the factory Medium Blue, but the more I thought about it I wanted something a little different. Ended up picking Grabber Blue off of the newer Mustangs, its an easier color to find since its newer and its a little bit bluer which is what I was looking for. Its also a solid color so it will hopefully be a little easier to shoot vs a metallic.

Jason7121 10-27-2017 12:55 AM

Everything is looking awesome great work.

gringoloco 10-27-2017 12:55 AM

Grabber blue will look good. That’s a great color. Core support looks slick!

sprint_9 11-13-2017 12:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8069320)
Everything is looking awesome great work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8069321)
Grabber blue will look good. That’s a great color. Core support looks slick!

Thanks!

Got the cab cleaned up and sealed in epoxy, then I started filler work. Filler work has taken alot longer than I anticipated, but what else is new. Im hoping to get everything scuffed, cleaned, and get another coat of epoxy on it tomorrow. From there Im putting some 2k regular build primer on top of that, then focusing on the inside first. I hope to maybe base clear that some night this week depending on how things go. If my interior goes ok, and everything blocks out on the outside, I may base/clear the outside next weekend. But thats a big if, and so far my planned schedules have been blown into oblivion.

Jason7121 11-13-2017 12:46 AM

Looking good keep it up!

builtbyKane 11-13-2017 08:56 AM

Looks like good progress from here. Seems every time I make a schedule it goes bad pretty quick so now I just do my best at getting in the garage every evening, even if it's for just 20min. Before you know it a decade has passed and your done, lol.

sprint_9 11-19-2017 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8081191)
Looking good keep it up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by builtbyKane (Post 8081298)
Looks like good progress from here. Seems every time I make a schedule it goes bad pretty quick so now I just do my best at getting in the garage every evening, even if it's for just 20min. Before you know it a decade has passed and your done, lol.

Thank you. I wont have to worry about having a decade pass on mine, Ill be evicted from the shop before that happens.

Seam sealer is done, I did the drip rail, some inside the cab, and some of the door opening lip where it meets the cab corner.

I cant even begin to explain how much trouble I had with the sealer in the drip rail. I ended up grinding half of it out as it set up too fast and looked like crap. Gave it another try with some different sealer and it came out great.

Tomorrow Im spraying some high build primer.

Jason7121 11-20-2017 01:49 AM

Self leveling seam sealer?

Bennett68C10 11-20-2017 09:49 AM

Nice job on the cab repair. I love the new wheels and that grabber blue paint will look awesome :metal:

raggedjim 11-20-2017 05:09 PM

Great work! I also struggled with the drivers side rocker panel, had to cut it up just like you did to make it fit.

What seam sealer did you use in the drip rail? I need to do my jimmy.

Thanks, Rg

sprint_9 11-20-2017 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason7121 (Post 8086387)
Self leveling seam sealer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 8086450)
Nice job on the cab repair. I love the new wheels and that grabber blue paint will look awesome :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 8086702)
Great work! I also struggled with the drivers side rocker panel, had to cut it up just like you did to make it fit.

What seam sealer did you use in the drip rail? I need to do my jimmy.

Thanks, Rg

Thank you.

I used self leveling the second go around, 3m 08307 to be specific. I jacked the cab up with a floor jack so it was pretty close to level as that drip rail has a slope to it. On the sides above the doors where it curves down and goes vertical I used 3m 08308 but 8308 is a PIA to work with. One thing that really helped me with 8308 specifically was using a bondo spreader cut to fit and rounded to smooth the 8308. Using my finger didnt work that good with it. The 8307 you can just let do its thing if you have it level, I did have to do a little sanding on it but not much where my two halves met up in the middle of the rail.

I cant wait to spray some grabber blue, everyday I get a little bit closer. Featherfill on the firewall, and the rest of the cab got a coat of SPI 2k regular build. I had some spray gun issues so that didnt go as planned on the outside, inside turned out good so Ill just do an extra session of blocking on the outside if need be.

Spray guns are worth there weight in gold. Im using just a cheap gun for build primer, but I spent some money and bought an Iwata LPH400LV for epoxy and base/clear. Ive only sprayed some epoxy with it, but man, compared to my original base/clear gun which was also just a cheapie, it is no comparison. Every time I use it I love the results, it makes it just that much easier to spray nice.

raggedjim 11-21-2017 11:41 AM

Thanks sprint, the good thing about the jimmy is there's no vertical drip rail!

I also need better spray guns, but so far all I've been shooting is primer and acrylic enamel.

Nice work, Rg