The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Playing the long game! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=691845)

YBNORML 12-31-2016 03:07 AM

Re: Playing the long game!

I stopped by Toms the other day, he was super stoked to see the truck. Actually loves the changes I've made so far. I was telling him about the concerns that some of you guys have in regards to modifying the truck, his response was as I expected, Basically said that he was excited to see what I do and that that was part of the reason he sold it to me. He just wanted to see it go to someone who would enjoy it. He really is a great guy!

zammer 06-10-2017 02:32 PM

This is a killer truck Jason, been away from forum for a while and just checked this out.
Nice work like what you did with it

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zammer (Post 7964040)
This is a killer truck Jason, been away from forum for a while and just checked this out.
Nice work like what you did with it

Thanks man, I haven't been on a whole lot either. Glad to see your truck moving under its own power.

I've been doing quite a bit of work on this truck lately. Got some original caps for the transit wheels. And polished the living crap out of the paint.

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side shot

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Front

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interior.

I put some sound deadener on the floor, installed new carpet and a centre seatbelt, it doesn't match but hopefully I'll find a matching one someday. Also changed the original speaker and got the radio working, works pretty good too!

Chevyland 06-21-2017 12:29 AM

Just saw this
Very cool story!!

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took the box off to put in a c-notch, drop springs, blocks, adjustable pan hard bar, new shocks and relocators. The bed bolts all came off without any issues. I've never had that happen with an Alberta truck!!

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 7972566)
Just saw this
Very cool story!!

Thanks. I really lucked out.

Canuckvetter 06-21-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 7972561)
Interior.

a centre seatbelt, it doesn't match but hopefully I'll find a matching one someday.

I have some fawn 67 seatbelt options for you if you are interested.

hewittca 06-21-2017 08:52 AM

Still lookin' good! How much lower are you going with all the work you're doing out back? And where'd you get your center belt? I've been trying to find one in light green to match mine, but am having no luck. I'd like to be able to bring both my kids for a ride versus the battle I currently go through on who's turn it is to go.

hewittca 06-21-2017 08:53 AM

Also, while you have the bed off, just go ahead and cut the frame down. :lol:

YBNORML 06-21-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckvetter (Post 7972686)
I have some fawn 67 seatbelt options for you if you are interested.

I am very interested. I'll pm you my number. Thanks

YBNORML 06-21-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972700)
Still lookin' good! How much lower are you going with all the work you're doing out back? And where'd you get your center belt? I've been trying to find one in light green to match mine, but am having no luck. I'd like to be able to bring both my kids for a ride versus the battle I currently go through on who's turn it is to go.

One of the main reasons I purchased the parts truck I mentioned earlier was for the belt.
The shop pic is an older one. All that work was done a few months ago, the only future suspension plans are to add drop spindles to the front and helper bags out back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972701)
Also, while you have the bed off, just go ahead and cut the frame down. :lol:

I've actually been seriously considering it. At some point in its life the truck was hit on the passenger side, resulting in a replacement door and body work to both the b-pillar and boxside. I'm in no rush to do it but I just might.
I already mentioned my possible plans to Tom and he's all for it, which is kind of cool. He's just happy that I've already put more miles on it since I got it than he did in the last five years.

hewittca 06-21-2017 10:34 AM

:lol: Bought a seatbelt and got a truck with it.

How is your front dropped now without spindles? You look to be about where I am up front and mine is on not-so-ideal modified stock coils. They have been heated and cut and I think I'm about at a 4" spring drop. I had to cut out the bump stops and readjust all alignments to get it to ride decent, but it does actually ride fairly well surprisingly. Once I add spindles I'm definitely going to have to do something about the wheel tubs, but the transits should tuck nicely with all that backspacing.

YBNORML 06-21-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972773)
:lol: Bought a seatbelt and got a truck with it.

How is your front dropped now without spindles? You look to be about where I am up front and mine is on not-so-ideal modified stock coils. They have been heated and cut and I think I'm about at a 4" spring drop. I had to cut out the bump stops and readjust all alignments to get it to ride decent, but it does actually ride fairly well surprisingly. Once I add spindles I'm definitely going to have to do something about the wheel tubs, but the transits should tuck nicely with all that backspacing.

I'm sitting at about the same, only mine is accomplished with 2' drop coils with one coil cut off. It also rides not too bad but I'm looking forward to changing over to drop spindles and longer coils. I'm gonna draw the line at modifying the wheels tubs.

Husker 06-21-2017 10:50 PM

Nice Looking truck,
Ron

Aberdare 12-12-2017 08:04 PM

Are you Back in Edmonton or still in Shilo? I retired in 2004 after 23 years... And Thank You for Your Service!

Abe in Winnipeg

YBNORML 12-13-2017 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aberdare (Post 8103518)
Are you Back in Edmonton or still in Shilo? I retired in 2004 after 23 years... And Thank You for Your Service!

Abe in Winnipeg

I think you have me confused with someone else.

SonnyBoy 12-13-2017 12:13 PM

Very cool story !!
I had to read it to my wife ...
I bet Tom is enjoying the transformation also.
Your doing it justice !
Looks clean .

davepl 12-13-2017 01:41 PM

It's not a pickup, but if we're talking about playing the long game, I chased this car for 15 years at least, perhaps 20. Finally bought it! Don't have it in-hand yet, but it's on its way!

http://1969pontiac.blogspot.com

I started by selling him an emblem about 20 years ago, which is when I planted the seed...

YBNORML 12-13-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyBoy (Post 8103982)
Very cool story !!
I had to read it to my wife ...
I bet Tom is enjoying the transformation also.
Your doing it justice !
Looks clean .

Thanks for the compliments. I actually dropped by Toms place in the fall and he was really quite ecstatic with the changes I’ve made and the miles that I’ve put on the truck. I’ve put more miles on it in one year than he did in ten.

He summed it up perfectly. “ I sold my truck to the right person”. That made me very happy. I was kind of worried that he wouldn’t like all the changes.

YBNORML 12-13-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8104031)
It's not a pickup, but if we're talking about playing the long game, I chased this car for 15 years at least, perhaps 20. Finally bought it! Don't have it in-hand yet, but it's on its way!

http://1969pontiac.blogspot.com

I started by selling him an emblem about 20 years ago, which is when I planted the seed...

I actually read that article a while back. Followed it through a link on here somewhere. I’m looking forward to seeing you restore it.

YBNORML 09-03-2018 11:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, I really haven't updated this thread in a long time. I drove the truck all last summer without any issues.

YBNORML 09-04-2018 12:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a HotRod BBQ as a gift from a buddy. I wasn't using it much until I thought of this. The perfect way to eat at a car show.

YBNORML 09-04-2018 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Over the winter I pulled the 283 for cleaning and some mild upgrades.

Had some help as well.

factory 4-barrel intake
HEI distributor
Edelbrock carb
Fresh coat of paint

YBNORML 09-04-2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats how it'll stay until this winter when I have some more upgrades planned.

Heres a shot from a car show this summer.

72 tigger 09-04-2018 06:12 AM

Looks good- glad you’re enjoying it. It’s nice that the kids like it too

ncpetersc 09-04-2018 09:51 AM

Wow, loving that BBQ.

:chevy:

Coley 09-04-2018 10:30 AM

...you've sure done some nice things with that truck, particularly getting the family involved.
Well done!,...and a great story to go with it as well.

All Good
Coley:chevy:

YBNORML 09-04-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8336964)
Looks good- glad you’re enjoying it. It’s nice that the kids like it too

Thanks, The kids are all over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncpetersc (Post 8337062)
Wow, loving that BBQ.

:chevy:

Thanks, its always a hit at the car shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8337093)
...you've sure done some nice things with that truck, particularly getting the family involved.
Well done!,...and a great story to go with it as well.

All Good
Coley:chevy:

Thanks, we all really enjoy the truck.

Steeveedee 09-04-2018 04:40 PM

Cool story, and a nice truck! Color me jealous. If you want to remove those restraint cables, just buy interlocking motor mounts. Those cables are the response to a recall that GM had on broken motor mounts in those years. If the driver's side motor mount broke with the old style mount, the engine could rotate up due to torque and pull the throttle open, causing a runaway condition. GM's fix was to put on the restraint cables instead of replacing the motor mounts, as it was a ton cheaper. If you still have the engine out, it is a simple fix- just put the new style motor mounts on.

YBNORML 09-04-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8337340)
Cool story, and a nice truck! Color me jealous. If you want to remove those restraint cables, just buy interlocking motor mounts. Those cables are the response to a recall that GM had on broken motor mounts in those years. If the driver's side motor mount broke with the old style mount, the engine could rotate up due to torque and pull the throttle open, causing a runaway condition. GM's fix was to put on the restraint cables instead of replacing the motor mounts, as it was a ton cheaper. If you still have the engine out, it is a simple fix- just put the new style motor mounts on.

I know. I cleaned, coated and re-installed the cables on purpose. The motor mounts are brand new and i have no worries about them separating. Ive been driving these trucks for well over 20m years and have never broken a mount. most of the times the engines were far more powerful than this gutless 283. I thought it was cool that the truck still had the straps installed and they deserved to go back on.

I'd like to know how many trucks had mounts that actually failed? Upgrading the mounts doesn't seem to be a very common upgrade, yet you never hear about them failing. Ive heard lots of people talk about the recall, but not many talk about first hand knowledge or experience with them failing.

trac209 09-04-2018 08:16 PM

Wow that truck looks wicked cool

Steeveedee 09-04-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 8337432)
I know. I cleaned, coated and re-installed the cables on purpose. The motor mounts are brand new and i have no worries about them separating. Ive been driving these trucks for well over 20m years and have never broken a mount. most of the times the engines were far more powerful than this gutless 283. I thought it was cool that the truck still had the straps installed and they deserved to go back on.

I'd like to know how many trucks had mounts that actually failed? Upgrading the mounts doesn't seem to be a very common upgrade, yet you never hear about them failing. Ive heard lots of people talk about the recall, but not many talk about first hand knowledge or experience with them failing.

We were never apprised of how many failures had occurred in the field. But it only takes a few failures to make for potentially horrific injuries (and many millions of dollars worth of loss), so the replacement covered all V-8 Chevrolet vehicles from '65 - '69. I've seen the result of a couple of instances myself, but they didn't end up as runaways in those cases.

YBNORML 02-05-2023 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It’s been a few years since I’ve even looked at this thread. Things with Tom have been drastically changing over the last few months.

He’s getting a full frame off rebuild with the exception of paint. This will be an all hands on deck, family project and as such, will be picture heavy.

Had to clean him up before his final pic in mostly stock form.

YBNORML 02-05-2023 02:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First up was grabbing the original frame from my previous project. A 68’ gmc long bed. I did not want to run spacers or cut the frame to make provisions for power steering.

YBNORML 02-05-2023 02:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Frame disassembly.

Warrens69GMC 02-05-2023 02:37 PM

Nice!

YBNORML 02-05-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 9175418)
Nice!

Thanks