The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=715398)

bennylava 11-28-2022 08:37 AM

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9148944)
This is the is the Benchseat thread. I do have a Seatbelt thread, but I’ll answer this. If your looking for new belts, those would be aftermarket belts, but I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They are ugly and don’t work very well. You have said numerous times that you can’t afford a new cover, so new seatbelts are going to be more than what a new cover costs.
If you have your original belts, I can restore them, that is what my Seatbelt thread is all about. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out.

Well, I can't afford it when it's so simple and easy to restore a bench seat lol :lol:

Seat belts are another matter. Not something you want to trust to just anyone. With the hit and miss quality of LMC, it's probably better to just have oem restored or go with someone with a reputation for high quality.

TKCR 11-28-2022 09:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bennylava (Post 9149121)
Well, I can't afford it when it's so simple and easy to restore a bench seat lol :lol:

Seat belts are another matter. Not something you want to trust to just anyone. With the hit and miss quality of LMC, it's probably better to just have oem restored or go with someone with a reputation for high quality.

I suppose it is easy for some people, but for others it isn’t. But there is always what one would call “restoring” a seat, and wether it’s done right or not. Most upholstery shops throw a new cover on a seat and say that’s a restored seat, lol. I say it’s restoring and repairing the entire frame, tracks and hardware is what a true restoration is. Not everyone will even see some of the stuff I find on a seat frame, much less have to ability to repair them. Here are just some of the things I find on the seat frames that need attention, that 99% of the people don’t even see.

Seatbelts, I haven’t found an aftermarket place that has good working seatbelts yet. Sure they are new, but if they don’t function well, then why waste the money.

72c20customcamper 01-16-2023 03:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Need some advice . I’m doing my seat in my 68 and the foam is perfect but the new cover is loose and if I try to stretch it the pleat fold under the seat seems to need more padding . Looking at high density foam but not sure of thickness . Also what’s the best way to fix a broken spring the frame is in in incredible condition still shines black with no rust . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

72c20customcamper 01-16-2023 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The seat back still has the jute covered in cloth should I put the foam under it ? I’ve done a lot of seats but with all new foam .

TKCR 01-16-2023 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9167440)
Need some advice . I’m doing my seat in my 68 and the foam is perfect but the new cover is loose and if I try to stretch it the pleat fold under the seat seems to need more padding . Looking at high density foam but not sure of thickness . Also what’s the best way to fix a broken spring the frame is in in incredible condition still shines black with no rust . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The springs can’t be fixed, they need replaced.
It’s hard to say on the foam thickness, 1/2”-1” maybe. I actually use jute as a filler. I use it between the springs and foam.

72c20customcamper 01-17-2023 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks . I picked up some cushion wrap didn’t think of using jute under the foam might go pick some up as it will help protect the foam from the springs the burlap is rotted away . The foam is in great shape but I’m sure it’s compressed that’s why it’s loose . I have an old box spring that I can steal some springs off . Just need to heat and normalize the steel , shape then harden/temper again just like making a knife

TKCR 02-26-2023 02:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I can tell it’s getting closer to Spring, I’ve had a couple of seats to do.
Here are a couple of Blue Velour Deluxe, 1981-1987.

TKCR 03-13-2023 05:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1981-1987 Black Velour Silverado Deluxe. This is fully restored and will be picked up later this week.

Hart_Rod 03-16-2023 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What's your timeframe and price? I need a seat redon3 for my 84 Silverado. It is currently covered in vinyl, I want to convert it to cloth. Whay are my options? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss in this thread. Thanks,

Rob

TKCR 03-16-2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 9187408)
What's your timeframe and price? I need a seat redon3 for my 84 Silverado. It is currently covered in vinyl, I want to convert it to cloth. Whay are my options? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss in this thread. Thanks,

Rob

PM sent with contact info.

TKCR 03-21-2023 07:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Took advantage of the somewhat milder weather and got some seat frames back from the sandblaster, and got those repainted and repaired. Replaced the broken End Springs on the 73 seat frame. Also got the tracks for the same seat restored and installed a new knob for the one that was missing.
The 81-87 frames, some of the springs were replaced. A few of the other frames received all new Grids & Springs.
Before Pics

TKCR 03-21-2023 07:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After Pics

TKCR 03-29-2023 09:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1981-1987 fully restored Black Velour Deluxe Benchseat. New Grid and Springs also.

TKCR 04-23-2023 02:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just completed a fully restored bench seat in Burgundy Velour. This will be used for a front seat in a Suburban. Will be picked up later this week.

TKCR 05-04-2023 06:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here’s a fully restored bench seat that was done for someone. 1981-1987 Blue Velour Silverado Deluxe.

TKCR 05-05-2023 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another Burgundy for someone local

TKCR 05-25-2023 10:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1981-1987 Black Velour Custom Deluxe. Fully restored, using a new foam, Gris and springs.

SunSoaked 06-11-2023 12:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well crap. Discovered today my 85 seat is literally falling apart. The lower horizontal bar has detached. Also noticed the back foam seems to be attached to the frame. How is this replaceable? @TKCR, is this fixable? If not, can you PM me. I have questions on getting a rebuilt unit from you. Looking to change to black. Thanks

TKCR 06-11-2023 09:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunSoaked (Post 9211324)
Well crap. Discovered today my 85 seat is literally falling apart. The lower horizontal bar has detached. Also noticed the back foam seems to be attached to the frame. How is this replaceable? @TKCR, is this fixable? If not, can you PM me. I have questions on getting a rebuilt unit from you. Looking to change to black. Thanks

Yeah it’s fixable, I get those a lot. Just have to weld it back up. It was a poor welding job from GM. A lot of them I noticed that only the front half of the bar was welded, nothing on the backside, which was probably the most important side since that is where all the weight goes. But in all reality, the weld needed to go clear around the entire bar. There were some that looked like they were just tac welded, and that was it!
The foam on the back, since it’s attached, would just need repaired versus replaced.
What you found, is typical on almost every seat I repair & restore. That why I restore the seats the way I do. Most upholstery shops wouldn’t care about this stuff. Most people were never even aware that their bar was even broken.
Last pic shows the typical GM weld missing on the backside of the seat sack bar. :devil:

brunnercrew4 06-23-2023 10:17 PM

Re: Bench Seat, Having it Reupholstered

I am reupholstering a 72 GMC C15 bench seat. I have new foam on and the new cover was a tight fit after putting it on in the Arizona sun. After reattaching the seat together, I have a 2-3 inch gap in the middle. Any tips to remedy that? Thanks for any help you can provide!

TKCR 07-11-2023 08:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
NOT For Sale
Got another seat restored and built for someone. This is a 1981-1987 Black Velour Deluxe. Fully restored.
Will be picked up later this month.

Gettin down to the nitty gritty on the seat cores I have left to use. Once they are used up, I will no longer be doing anymore seats. I will mainly be restoring the seatbelts only.

TKCR 09-04-2023 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Been getting the last of seats done for people. These have all been picked up.
This is my new RECORD. Came from Texas, 16.5 hrs one way!

TKCR 09-04-2023 10:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up from Wisconsin! I did drive about an hour to meet, to save a little drive time.

TKCR 09-04-2023 10:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And this one drove from the St. Louis, MO area. 7 hrs one way!

TKCR 09-07-2023 08:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
1981-1987 Black Vinyl. Fully restored with New Foam, new grid and all new springs. Being picked up this weekend.