The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

350TacoZilla 06-04-2021 11:21 PM

Re: pdx-sanity66

Ok so here is one I have always wanted to do something similar to. You and maybe 2 buddies drive a donor vehicle up to the C60\ swap it all and then use c60 to tow the donor to junkyard and drive home. Maybe an old schoolbus or motorhome?

pdxhall 06-10-2021 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went up to Mammoth and spent the morning getting the truck jacked up and ready to put some tires on it. There are actually 4 tires of the 6 that hold air so if I can get them on I should at least be able to get it out of there and onto a trailer or ramp truck. I still have to get the rear axles in and hooked up to the drums. Here are a few pics.

joesscamaro 06-11-2021 06:46 AM

That thing is a beast! If you said earlier, forgive me...but what was the original purpose of this truck?

cwcarpenter98 06-11-2021 09:17 AM

It's got a party deck on the back :ennyd: :five:

pdxhall 06-11-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesscamaro (Post 8931203)
That thing is a beast! If you said earlier, forgive me...but what was the original purpose of this truck?

I think it must have been some kind of service truck. It's got shelves on both sides of the inside with a large craftsman tool box. I also has a compressed air hookup (no compressor) It is also set up for a welding area, it looks like a serious maint. truck
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8931245)

It really could be a nice deck....hummm

LostMy65 06-11-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8931245)

Put a bumper sticker on it that says, "Please Don't Tailgate!"

pdxhall 06-12-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8931404)
Put a bumper sticker on it that says, "Please Don't Tailgate!"

I like that :haha:
I'm moving the truck over to the heavy haulers page and continuing with my Sanity.:fry:

I've got some updates I'll post later.

pdxhall 06-12-2021 05:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finished the modification on my roof light switch. It is wired to a fused battery accessory connection. Here's what I did and the finished product. I like it.

LostMy65 06-12-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8931703)
I finished the modification on my roof light switch. It is wired to a fused battery accessory connection. Here's what I did and the finished product. I like it.

Very very nice on the knob button.

joesscamaro 06-13-2021 10:49 AM

That turned out great and blends right in.

clemdaddy 06-13-2021 11:10 AM

You have hit on another really cool idea... I can use it to switch on backup lights. Probably most of us have no need for the choke cable anyway and your knob idea looks right at home.

The C-60 would make a super cool food truck if you're looking for a retirement profit center. Hotdogs, Apple Pie...

pdxhall 06-20-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8931794)
Very very nice on the knob button.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesscamaro (Post 8931963)
That turned out great and blends right in.

Thanks, it's much better than it was and it fits with the other knobs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 8931967)
You have hit on another really cool idea... I can use it to switch on backup lights. Probably most of us have no need for the choke cable anyway and your knob idea looks right at home.

The C-60 would make a super cool food truck if you're looking for a retirement profit center. Hotdogs, Apple Pie...

Thanks Clem. I don't think I want another job. My job is getting all my projects done.

Right now I'm in American Fork, Utah visiting my siblings. We will be leaving for Portland, OR tomorrow to visit my 2 sons and many old friends. There will be no more updates on Sanity but I'll be checking in to keep track of what you all are doing. We will be away until the latter part of August.

pdxhall 08-10-2021 12:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We're back from our 7 week visit up north. We didn't get a lot of relief from the heat until the last week when we were on the southern Oregon coast where it was an unseasonably cold low 60s. I've been getting things put away and opened back up. We're still in the middle of monsoon season so I'll be getting back to work on Sanity soon. Meanwhile, our adopted desert tortoise came to welcome me home and get some prickly pear fruit. He visits me in the shop pretty regularly this time of year.

aggie91 08-11-2021 10:56 AM

Welcome home! Nothing wrong with having a shop turtle!

pdxhall 08-18-2021 01:27 PM

Thanks aggie, it's good to be back.
I've finished cleaning up after the trip and I've actually started back to work on Sanity. I've been working sanding and prepping the roof for paint. All of the sides, front, and back are done and I'm starting to work on the top. No repairs needed just sanding the epoxy and giving it a coat of Slick sand. It's getting to be a priority to get the top painted (white) and get the windshield and rear window installed so I can drive it more than around my yard. I've also been working on the hood. It's almost completely stripped and I am going to try getting a little filler on the pass. side rear patch that is done. I'm going to try and get some more done on the center console. The monsoons have slowed me down a bit but that's life here in Tucson. I haven't taken any update pics. Not much interesting to see yet.

pdxhall 08-25-2021 05:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I'm trying to take a poll on grill choices but I have no idea what I'm doing. Here are pics of the choices except for the new repo grill.

cwcarpenter98 08-25-2021 05:58 PM

Apologies if you've already answered in the thread, but after paint, is the truck getting chrome bumpers or painted? That's part of the choice to leave my truck with a painted grille

Oregon 1967 GMC 08-25-2021 08:54 PM

Good to hear from you. I met you once at Bomp's years ago. I just started getting back on my '67 GMC and posting here once again. Enjoy Arizona I have two friends that just moved recently from Portland to Phoenix and Sierra Vista.

pdxhall 08-26-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8962741)
Apologies if you've already answered in the thread, but after paint, is the truck getting chrome bumpers or painted? That's part of the choice to leave my truck with a painted grille

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 8962846)
Good to hear from you. I met you once at Bomp's years ago. I just started getting back on my '67 GMC and posting here once again. Enjoy Arizona I have two friends that just moved recently from Portland to Phoenix and Sierra Vista.

Thanks for looking in Christian. I am going with chrome bumpers.
Thanks for checking in. It's good to see you back working on your truck. I am really enjoying Tucson. I'm still learning my way around.

cwcarpenter98 08-27-2021 08:51 AM

Having the big truck grille chromed would be a different, custom touch that would look good with the chrome bumpers

pdxhall 08-29-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8963326)
Having the big truck grille chromed would be a different, custom touch that would look good with the chrome bumpers

I'm not a big fan of chrome grills. If I decide to use the C60 grill, it will be painted white.
Right now I'm leaning toward the repo Aluminum Grill that has come out recently but the C60 grill is still in the running. I'll get it cleaned up a little first. It is in great shape except for a little Arizona surface rust. I've got 2 aluminum grills but I'm sure it would cost more to restore either one than the cost of the repo. I'm kind of waiting for some reviews on it.
Anyway, our latest heat wave is ending so I might get the several parts that I've got prepped for epoxy, including the hood, in the next couple of days.

cwcarpenter98 08-29-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8964155)
I'm not a big fan of chrome grills. If I decide to use the C60 grill, it will be painted white.
Right now I'm leaning toward the repo Aluminum Grill that has come out recently but the C60 grill is still in the running. I'll get it cleaned up a little first. It is in great shape except for a little Arizona surface rust. I've got 2 aluminum grills but I'm sure it would cost more to restore either one than the cost of the repo. I'm kind of waiting for some reviews on it.
Anyway, our latest heat wave is ending so I might get the several parts that I've got prepped for epoxy, including the hood, in the next couple of days.

I hope the repops are good quality. It would be easy for you to compare the repop to an original since you have 2 of those ;)

pdxhall 09-05-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8964323)
I hope the repops are good quality. It would be easy for you to compare the repop to an original since you have 2 of those ;)

I do to. That's why I'm kinda waiting for some reviews.

pdxhall 09-19-2021 02:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm done playing for a while and I've got quite a bit done on Sanity. We were in Las Vegas from Sept 6 through the 12th. We went to the Big Blues Bender and had 5 days of blues music. It was a nice trip but we were happy to be back. Now for Sanity. I have finished the frame for my center console and stripped the box. Both have been epoxy primed. I got the hood completely stripped and epoxy primed. MY under seat jack and handle are painted and read to install. This will complete the under seat jack assembly. I've got the roof panels sanded and ready for 1 more coat of Slick Sand. I reprimed the cowl extensions while I have them off. The final project that I just finished was getting the passenger side door to fit at the bottom. I had about 3/8" stick out and I thought I was going to have slice and dice to get it to fit. So the door came off. I got the edge smoothed out on the inside and got a few spot welds in and did a slight bit of evening thing out. I then put the door back on to check the fit and I'm very happy with the results.

pdxhall 09-21-2021 08:01 PM

If one of the moderators happen to look in, can you take the poll off of my thread?