The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

Cheezer_72 11-24-2013 12:02 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

2 Attachment(s)
Headed out for a can of spray paint, and refreshed my door panels. I read it on someone else's thread, great idea, looks like new, and saved money. Don't mind the speakers I have not put a new sound system in yet, haha.

Nick Goldsmith 11-24-2013 08:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Switched my 67 K20 from Armstrong steering to power steering. Finally finished yesterday. Had to shorten the drag link to get it to line up. also had to fabricate a mounting bracket for the pump. Bought one on Ebay but did not fit. Not really sure what motor I have or what the pump came off of? also not 100% sure what the steering gear came off of so the pressure hose I bought had the wrong fittings for both ends. had to fab that up as well.. Works great though!

ole dollor 11-24-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Goldsmith (Post 6386640)
Switched my 67 K20 from Armstrong steering to power steering. Finally finished yesterday. Had to shorten the drag link to get it to line up. also had to fabricate a mounting bracket for the pump. Bought one on Ebay but did not fit. Not really sure what motor I have or what the pump came off of? also not 100% sure what the steering gear came off of so the pressure hose I bought had the wrong fittings for both ends. had to fab that up as well.. Works great though!

yes power steering is great, my old non power was almost locked down so when I put on power steering it was a big difference. that's one tough looking truck you have there. made for working hard.

Nick Goldsmith 11-24-2013 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea. the old Armstrong steering gear was completly shot. It was incredibly hard to move. can't believe that somehow I managed to plow with it last winter.

Boog 11-24-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6385086)
My right rear drum is locking up. Pretty dangerous, really.

New brake booster/prop valve (disc/drum), master cyl. New pads/rotors up front and new shoes with good drums in the back.
Multi-bleedings with no air in the system that I can see in the bleeder jar.

It's the pass rear brake that's locking up, and locked up first *before* I recently changed out a leaking wheel cyl) may be out
of adjustment ????? I don't know.

I *do* know that I've never been able to get a good enough adjustment on the parking brake to make it work properly.

Gotta play with this one. Possibly I have a bad P-valve? I'm not too happy with the overall brake performance compared to my '72.
So maybe it's a crappy booster/m/c/prop valve set up all together.

Or maybe I just need to play with the adjustment on the pass rear drum???

Bill there are a couple of things that will make the drum brakes lockup. Rear end oil on the shoes from a leaking seal will make the shoes grabby and lock the wheel when stopping. And it's possible one of the cups in the wheel cylinder is stuck holding pressure on the shoes. I doubt the p valve is the culprit as both the rear wheels are on the same line from the front so if one side locked the other side should too. Most likely. Check the brake shoe adjustments? I hate to ask but are you sure you have one long shoe and one short shoe on each side? Long shoe to the rear on both sides?

mud.man.rj 11-24-2013 10:30 PM

Good brake advice.

magwakeenercew2jh 11-24-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 6386932)
Bill there are a couple of things that will make the drum brakes lockup. Rear end oil on the shoes from a leaking seal will make the shoes grabby and lock the wheel when stopping. And it's possible one of the cups in the wheel cylinder is stuck holding pressure on the shoes. I doubt the p valve is the culprit as both the rear wheels are on the same line from the front so if one side locked the other side should too. Most likely. Check the brake shoe adjustments? I hate to ask but are you sure you have one long shoe and one short shoe on each side? Long shoe to the rear on both sides?

Boog and Tom:

One thing I know for sure is that when something isn't working properly, there's something I DON'T KNOW, THOUGHT I
KNEW AND DIDN'T, or DIDN'T DO CORRECTLY...Hahahahaha!!!

I rebuilt the brakes a year ago before I was done with the build. Then, 400 miles with slight pulling to the right. Nothing as
terrible as it is now. Then the right rear wheel cyl started puking fluid.

As far as I can remember, I put it all together correctly.

But with your info and Tom's, I'm headed down for a new set of shoes, I'll re-check for proper shoe placement and adjustment...
...and if it's correct on the passenger side, and the new ones still pull (should say, "lock up" waaay early) without ever having been
"wet", then I'll pull the driver's side to make sure that both sides have the shoes long-to-the-rear.

Two sure things:

1) Something's not right;
2) It's REALLY dangerous...You should'a seen the smoke I laid down sliding toward a "surprise" yellow-to-red light from 65 out on
our rural highway.

Oh, and the third thing:

3) I really appreciate the input. Drum brakes are not my long suit. Keeping them for now. If I can get 'em to work properly, I'm
keeping them forever.

Jahloha 11-24-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zellway (Post 6379140)
Installed a new GM 350 in my Dads 70. Not a bad little weekend project. Would have been nice to clean and paint the bay but we still got a bunch of little things done on this old truck. :metal:

So shiny!!! haha. Only makes me want to pull the trigger on a crate engine asap. Was this a crate engine or a rebuild?

colgad 11-24-2013 11:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted the tailgate, fitting the bed (in primer) tomorrow so I can drill the wood bed. Then remove and paint and reassemble.

magwakeenercew2jh 11-24-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6387122)
Painted the tailgate, fitting the bed (in primer) tomorrow so I can drill the wood bed. Then remove and paint and reassemble.

Now THERE's a shop!!!!

colgad 11-25-2013 12:00 AM

My camera phone makes it look bigger than it is.

mud.man.rj 11-25-2013 12:04 AM

I'm with you Mag, shop looks a lot bigger than mine, nice.

jbassC10 11-25-2013 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In stalled the New LMC tailgate! Painful-for the first time, but with wisdom from the wise on this forum, everything is possible!

Check out my profile and see the success as of now, of the entire front and rear Brake Swap out! 4/6 drop is ordered and in the mail! California to Arkansas!

eagleuh1 11-25-2013 10:55 AM

jbassC10, have you had your truck on the road much. Haven't seen it around Russellville. Thought I'd seen most of them. Nice looking truck. Jim

OregonNed 11-25-2013 04:49 PM

I just went out yesterday in the carport and checked the dryer sheets and made sure no vagrant rodents were setting up shop.. :)

VWNate1 11-25-2013 06:19 PM

Remember to change those dryer sheets every month or you'll get an unpleasant surprise....

I just came back from running errands in my stalling out C/10 W/ 250 I6 & TH350 , two footing it through dense L.A. traffic isn't my idea of fun .

I stopped to fill the tank and did a fuel economy check ~G , not bad for an old clapped out pickup truck .

In The Ten Ring 11-25-2013 08:16 PM

I removed all the trim (moulding) from the fender I bought from Jeremiah King. (It came off amazingly easy). Then I ran it over to the body shop to fix the UPS damage.

jbassC10 11-26-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleuh1 (Post 6387624)
jbassC10, have you had your truck on the road much. Haven't seen it around Russellville. Thought I'd seen most of them. Nice looking truck. Jim

Hey!
Trucks in Conway at a buddies where were close to finishing it up! I'll Possibly have it over here in Russellville a week or so from now getting ready to move home(Yellvile ar). and of course show it to some college buddies!

:-) I hope yours is treating you well!!

eagleuh1 11-26-2013 07:23 AM

Its earning its keep hauling and pulling construction supplies now. Just about finished the new guage console with electric speedo for the 5.3.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385424976

Andy4639 11-26-2013 10:22 AM

Redid the door panels in my truck a few days ago.;):chevy:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...2/DSC01027.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385071995

Also installed road kill inside the doors while I had them a part!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385072030

PAWS 72 11-26-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 6389344)
Redid the door panels in my truck a few days ago.;):chevy:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...2/DSC01027.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385071995

Also installed road kill inside the doors while I had them a part!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385072030

Tell any difference Andy?

Razorbacker 11-26-2013 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my Aux Battery system working on my longhorn. A big thanks to Roger Koop for the harness, fits and works great. Now I have 12V power at the back of the truck via the camper harness.

lyrikz 11-26-2013 12:23 PM

I sold it. :(

harrydunn 11-26-2013 12:44 PM

Replaced my non-functioning AM radio.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...ps98db6fae.jpg

magwakeenercew2jh 11-26-2013 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Played with glove box stuff while I wait for the new alt.

Nice day. So I was also under the hood cleaning up a little.

In the mail came some faux leather sheeting.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to match the cluster by getting a *real* chrome glove box and covering the center with an insert of this stuff, or just stop all the madness and paint it the color of the dash.

:lol::lol::lol: