The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

guzzidude 11-27-2013 09:29 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

That's a bummer stepsider. I broke a rear once, but the front went it well. Go figure.

I ran my engine today since a buddy came over. Worked on the other car's master/slave clutch cylinders.

eagleuh1 11-27-2013 09:56 PM

Thanks HeathBirkendahl. More ideas to ponder for my trucks. The seats really nice. And different. Never would have thought a stock seat frame.

In The Ten Ring 11-27-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evaded (Post 6391784)

I really like the 2-tone seat!

slim-n-none 11-27-2013 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the rest of the parts together today to get ready to install the new engine/transmission after thanksgivin' dinner. Out with the 350, in with the ____ (gonna keep yall guessing) mated to a built 700r4. (If ya know what your looking at, my brother said the harmonic balancer gives it away, and i guess ill see if hes right.):metal:

hayhauler71 11-27-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim-n-none (Post 6392055)
Got the rest of the parts together today to get ready to install the new engine/transmission after thanksgivin' dinner. Out with the 350, in with the ____ (gonna keep yall guessing) mated to a built 700r4. (If ya know what your looking at, my brother said the harmonic balancer gives it away, and i guess ill see if hes right.):metal:

400sbc

slim-n-none 11-28-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayhauler71 (Post 6392097)
400sbc

The crank is.;)

litew8 11-28-2013 12:11 AM

^ 383

litew8 11-28-2013 12:29 AM

Very nice work heathbirkendahl! Looks great
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385531671

jbassC10 11-28-2013 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached my New LMC Tailgate!! Having a little trouble with the handle? It's mounting bolt holes were mounted like a 1/8 to high....soo when everything it tighten up I can't pull the handle all the way out to open the tailgate because the top of the handle hits the top of the tailgate opening where the handle is mounted into the tailgate :-( all I can figure is dremel/re-drill the hole a tad bit lower to remounted the handle lower? Any tips??

Mike_The_Grad 11-28-2013 03:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK so been putting off this chore of cleaning, having an idea of what to expect since doing the passenger side (7 hrs.), this side was way worse. After 7 hrs. Still not finished. Hence no finish pic. P.S. you should never be able to pull a piece of road grime/dirt/oil like this from any vehicle, even if you own a 4x4... I'm just saying. And because neither PO took care of under carriage the job is left to me. But the way I'm looking at is I'm taking weight off the truck,which will result in better mpg's and faster ETA's (I've already removed SIX pounds from just the A-arms, I weighed it!)

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the old bed off and c-notches in. Next is getting the fuel cell mocked into place.

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost got my dash cluster finished last night.

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the little temporary motor all set in place. All thats left to do in the engine bay is clean up the wire routing. I think im going to relocate the battery to the rear of the truck under the bed somewhere as well.

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry im on the road and loading the pics from my phone. 1 at a time!

legotech7 11-28-2013 11:13 AM

Hay bbcmudtruck, looking good. Could you tell me where you got the fuel cell at and how you plan on installing it. I plan on lowering my truck as well, and could use a little help as to the fuel cell. Any help input at all would be very much appreciated....

Thanks, and have a Happy Thanksgiving....

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 11:26 AM

Thanks lego! The fuel cell actually came with the truck. It was just mounted in the old bed. After measuring it, it comes in very close to the relocated tank that lmc sells. Im just going to cut out the spare tire cross member and fab up some straps to tuck it in under the bed. I have some old racing fu3l cells from the mudtrucks but they are too small for a street vehicle. This one is 17 gallons and should fit perfectly. I will update the progress as I get it mounted. I got my new bed sitting here waiting to be mounted so im putting the rear of the truck at priority right now. Still need to build some new brake lines and por the frame while the bed is off. Plus I need to redo the drivers side shock mount while im in there. I can get you the exact measurements off the tank if you need them. You can get them from summit or jegs with sending units. I had this one hooked up and had the sending unit working perfectly on an equiis gauge before tear down began.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6392146)
Very nice work heathbirkendahl! Looks great
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385531671

This is one of the best looking g bench seats ive ever seen! Did you carve out the foam yourself? Did you have an upholstery shop cover it, or did you do it yourself? A+

VWNate1 11-28-2013 11:46 AM

Re : Tailgate Fun

I'd think dressing the opening in the sheet metal a little bit might be the easier way to go....

For those who relocate the battery , remember to always use heavier cables , 1 or 0 gauge is perfect , I use welding cable and have the weld supply shop solder on the ends for me NAPA etc. all sell the solder on typ of clamps and eyelets ~ even in stock , using 1 gauge battery cables makes such an improvement you cannot believe it until you try it ~ faster starts hot or cold , longer battery and starter life too .

Best of all , got an early Christmas Present yesterday : on 12/18 Kasier is going to operate on my spine in my neck .

I'm stoked .

Keep these wonderful photos and works coming ! they're all great to read

-Nate
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbassC10 (Post 6392200)
I attached my New LMC Tailgate!! Having a little trouble with the handle? It's mounting bolt holes were mounted like a 1/8 to high....soo when everything it tighten up I can't pull the handle all the way out to open the tailgate because the top of the handle hits the top of the tailgate opening where the handle is mounted into the tailgate :-( all I can figure is dremel/re-drill the hole a tad bit lower to remounted the handle lower? Any tips??

legotech7 11-28-2013 12:09 PM

Thanks bbcmudtruck, for the quick response. I have a LMC tank in it already that the PO put in under the bed, but it sits way to low for my liking. I plan to bag my truck with the C notch and dropped spindles, so the tank as to go up a bit, flush with the bed perhaps and to make things easier I will also be taking the bed off. Did you do a static drop or bag it as well?......

Thanks again......

magwakeenercew2jh 11-28-2013 12:29 PM

Re: Re : Tailgate Fun

[QUOTE
Best of all , got an early Christmas Present yesterday : on 12/18 Kasier is going to operate on my spine in my neck. I'm stoked.
[/QUOTE]

Well, great news on the operation. You won't believe how much of an improvement it will make. Faster starts hot or cold.
And longer "starter" life, too.

Congrats. You'll be in my thoughts on 12/18 (also my oldest daughter's birthday...1967).
This year it'll be your B.D.

bbcmudtruck 11-28-2013 12:32 PM

Its a static drop front and rear. The rear has the leafs relocated under the axle and up front I put 2.5" drop spindles with 3" springs. If you already have the LMC tank, I'd try to mount it up higher in the frame. I've never had my hands on one, so I can't help you out a ton there. Do you have the 21 gallon tank or the 17 gallon tank? There may be some differences in the depth of the tank between the two. If not, I'll get you the specs on my tank and you can go from there. I'm sure you can find an aftermarket fuel cell that will work!

VWNATE, thanks for the heads up on the battery. To be quite honest I was just going to run longer battery cables. I appreciate the help! One of my best friends owns a welding/fab shop so I can get some welding leads easy enough. However last time I looked at longer leads, they were pretty dam high $$$$!

VWNate1 11-28-2013 01:28 PM

Battery cables are cheapest when you go to the Welding Supply Store and buy them off the bulk reels of welding cable then solder the ends on .

They'll even have red & black cable .

NAPA sells very good quality ends but I bet E-Bay or maybe even the Weld Supply Store can get them cheaper .

Using # 1 or 0 gauge battery cables allows 100 % of the current to reach the starter , no parasitic losses at all .

Run the ground cable to the engine or transmission , not the frame ! .

Then be sure to add grounding straps between the engine and frame , frame and cab , frame and radiator core support , frame and bed , etc. , etc. just like Generous Motors Corporation did when your rig was built ~ this ensures not only super bright headlights (even with standard seal beams) but wipers that work , radios without static on and on , blah blah blah .

A little bit of effort in your electrical system pays BIG dividends .

Me , I like to have two leads coming off the ground batter clamp ~ one goes to the engine block and t'other goes to the body , easy to do when you're making your own cables .

legotech7 11-28-2013 01:34 PM

If you don't mind, specs would be great. I think the tank is a 17 gallon, but it looks pretty deep and it looks like it already setting up against the bottom side of the floor bed pretty close. The PO lowered the rear a bit with blocks, and from the rear the tank just looks way too low. If bag it like I plan and notch it, I'm afraid it will just scrape the pavement. Although it will only sit low when parked. When driving it will be set at a reasonable drive height... I will be posting pics of the air build, just getting all my eggs in a basket, as it were.........

BugzC10 11-28-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck (Post 6392521)
This is one of the best looking g bench seats ive ever seen! Did you carve out the foam yourself? Did you have an upholstery shop cover it, or did you do it yourself? A+

I agree...like to hear also.

BugzC10 11-28-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathbirkendahl (Post 6390719)
Picked up my bench seat.

What does something like that cost to get done? Very nice, I want one!