The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

MashTheGas 72 01-02-2014 05:43 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6446274)
I reinstalled my freshly painted sun visors & the A/C vents. For some reason the PO had a vanity mirror on the driver side visor & from the indentions it left on the visor it looks as if it had been there for ages. I don't think they will ever go away. I thought most of those vanity mirrors were used on the passenger side so little Mrs Molley could put her makeup on....lol Honey you look great!..lol I am still waiting on my rear view mirror to arrive. UPS will say it's delayed due to the weather & on-line Christmas shoppers...lol :chevy:

What type paint did you use to paint your sun visors with? They look really good.

MashTheGas 72 01-02-2014 05:53 PM

Replaced rear wheel cylinders on my 72 GMC.

RustyBucket 01-02-2014 07:00 PM

I put the little stainless steel vent shades over the windows on my GMC. I bought 'em at Summit in Atlanta on my way to N. Ga. for Christmas.

NobleSix 01-02-2014 09:00 PM

I GOT MY TITLE TODAY!!!!!!! im so floppin excited. i was flippin excited, but i got tired so now im just floppin.... its been a long, strange trip, but shes finally mine, all mine, no if's, and's, or butt's, except mine and my ole lady's on that somewhat worn bench seat. the feeling is indescribable. comparable perhaps to ones " first time ". all the blood sweat and tears i put in to her over the years on pretty much just a "maybe"... now ive gotten the sorely needed validation, and best of all, a huge green light to seriously invest the time and dead presidents into her that she deserves. i dont own a lot of stuff, or even nice stuff at that. i have the clothes on my back and some in a closet... all pretty much from high school 15+ yrs ago. the computer i type this with, a bow and some arrows to feed myself with and now my truck... not to mention the job i use to fund it all. thats pretty much me in a nutshell. what ive got, ive had to work my ass off for and it has made me appreciate it all the more. still looking to make friends with someone with the metal fabbing skills needed to get some new rockers and cab supports welded in tho. have grill and beer brewing equipment / knowledge : will travel!

i installed an led dome light from autozone. only has 3 leds and it isnt much brighter than the regular festoon. meh, for 5 bucks its ok.

also pulled off a tire that has a slow leak and cleaned up the bead sealing surface on the rim a little bit then had the tire remounted and balanced. i noticed they added more weights than what was previously on the tire. makes me wonder how accurate some of these places really are. my next plans are to mount two LT's in the rear, maybe they are a little taller when installed than the bald passenger rated goodyear's that are on there.

its miller time! i raise mine to every single one of you, keeping these awesome machines around, and im so ecxited that i get to be a part of it all!

slowcpe 01-02-2014 10:09 PM

I kicked off the New Year yesterday by driving my truck to get kerosene for the garage heaters and Advance parts run.

Today I ordered my LEDs for the dash, heater, and dome light from superbrightleds.

Unionwelder 01-02-2014 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ripped out the nasty floor padding and rubber mats out of the 72' found a few holes in the drivers side, but the passenger side is perfect. Much better than I expected. Only one side to replace, not too shabby.

Unionwelder 01-02-2014 10:55 PM

Don't know why that's sideways...

ekgguy 01-02-2014 11:11 PM

Got the new-to-me bed installed. Now to finish wiring it all up tomorrow

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...102_165755.jpg
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...102_165831.jpg

VWNate1 01-02-2014 11:38 PM

I know this feeling ! . BT & DT many times over in the last decades .

Like you said , nothing beats the knowledge that a thing , any thing , is yours alone and made so by your own two hands .

Good on ya and never stop taking those baby steps .

Handing out a helping hand to others too , is a goodly manner of a Man .

-Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobleSix (Post 6447409)
I GOT MY TITLE TODAY!!!!!!! im so floppin excited. i was flippin excited, but i got tired so now im just floppin.... its been a long, strange trip, but shes finally mine, all mine, no if's, and's, or butt's, except mine and my ole lady's on that somewhat worn bench seat. the feeling is indescribable. comparable perhaps to ones " first time ". all the blood sweat and tears i put in to her over the years on pretty much just a "maybe"... now ive gotten the sorely needed validation, and best of all, a huge green light to seriously invest the time and dead presidents into her that she deserves. i dont own a lot of stuff, or even nice stuff at that. i have the clothes on my back and some in a closet... all pretty much from high school 15+ yrs ago. the computer i type this with, a bow and some arrows to feed myself with and now my truck... not to mention the job i use to fund it all. thats pretty much me in a nutshell. what ive got, ive had to work my ass off for and it has made me appreciate it all the more. still looking to make friends with someone with the metal fabbing skills needed to get some new rockers and cab supports welded in tho. have grill and beer brewing equipment / knowledge : will travel!

i installed an led dome light from autozone. only has 3 leds and it isnt much brighter than the regular festoon. meh, for 5 bucks its ok.

also pulled off a tire that has a slow leak and cleaned up the bead sealing surface on the rim a little bit then had the tire remounted and balanced. i noticed they added more weights than what was previously on the tire. makes me wonder how accurate some of these places really are. my next plans are to mount two LT's in the rear, maybe they are a little taller when installed than the bald passenger rated goodyear's that are on there.

its miller time! i raise mine to every single one of you, keeping these awesome machines around, and im so ecxited that i get to be a part of it all!

texjake 01-03-2014 12:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MashTheGas 72 (Post 6447094)
What type paint did you use to paint your sun visors with? They look really good.

I used Dupli-Color vinyl & fabric coating (gloss black). And I used the Dupli-Color Prep Spray to clean the items well before spraying on the gloss black. I took the flat black can back & exchanged it for another gloss black. The gloss black just looks so much better. Only time will be the test of time for it's durability since I didn't prep the plastic pieces properly, I should have used the Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter on the plastic pieces. But that's what happens when you get in a hurry to paint things. But it does seriously change the whole outlook of the interior. I included some before & after pics of the door panels that I painted too. :chevy:

Mike_The_Grad 01-03-2014 02:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Had to hit the brakes on my brake job I'm attempting. Front discs went smooth. Rear drums were another story. I remember doing them all the time in high school auto shop. But that was ten years ago. Thanx to the trusty hanes manual I got the job done in only four hours and two busted knuckles. Lol. After had all brakes remounted figured might check brake fluid. Bad idea, that stuff was black with residue in bottom of reservoir. Started looking at different forums on here for any tips.after an hour of research tried with gravity bleeding but I wasn't getting any fluid out.(I even took the entire bleeder out of pass. Rear wheel cylinder!) So on to pedal bleeding with my pops in the cab pumping away. Its hard to find someone who will listen to directions while still insisting that they are always right. That's my dad for ya.Lol. plus his leg got tired. So I'm having my buddy come over tommorow,figure I can pay him in beer. The pedal method seems to be working and the fluid coming out is black and thick.I don't think its ever been changed, so its gonna take a while til it comes out clear.and yes I am watching the reservoir level and holding in metering pin.first pic is new pads, second=before, third=after on rear

BugzC10 01-03-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 6446234)
I finished installing 4" CPP drop springs, shock relocator kit, adjustable track bar and 1.5" lowering blocks on the rear of my '71 GMC S./Stepside. It had 3" drop springs and some kinda old air shocks that with no air in 'em. I'd bought the CPP lowering stuff for my '72 Jimmy and never installed it. Truck has 255/60's on truck ralley's all the way around. I drove it a little after I finished and thought the ride was harsh. It started to rain & I put away. Hopefully after the new stuff works some it'll soften up some. It has 2.5" drop spindles and stock springs on the front. Next project is new front shocks and maybe 2" drop springs on the front.

Looks like it came out pretty good...nice stance. I have the same setup on the rear. Road harsh huh? When I installed mine, I couldn't feel much difference. Thought it road like a truck :lol: Once I get new tires I'll have to come over and see your Gimmy.

chopnchaneled 01-03-2014 10:58 AM

Had not driven my truck for about a week untill this morning, It was 18 degrees, Got reminded that i still need to put my brake rod rubber gromet on :)

dhaymaker 01-03-2014 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unionwelder (Post 6447651)
Ripped out the nasty floor padding and rubber mats out of the 72' found a few holes in the drivers side, but the passenger side is perfect. Much better than I expected. Only one side to replace, not too shabby.

This angle should work. Looks like the passenger side is in decent shape. Good luck with your project!

RustyBucket 01-03-2014 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bugz, I drove it around a little more yesterday after installing my vent shades and got rained on AGAIN... SUNNY FLORIDA. 40deg. this morning, I guess chopnchanneled WISHES it was 40deg. As far as the ride I still haven't decided about it. Maybe it's just the difference between bad old shocks and new ones. Guess it's supposta ride like an old truck anyway 'cause it IS. Going to drive it up to Daytona in the morning for the monthly auto swap meet/car show, they have a pretty good turnout when the weather's nice. There's also practice and testing for the Rolex 24 at Daytona Speedway today, tomorrow & Sunday.. $15 admission. SUNDAY/FUNDAY at Orlando SPEEDWORLD too. Lots of car stuff going on this time of year.

dads longhorn 01-03-2014 07:38 PM

I drove it! Woo hoo! The weather and my job have kept the truck under its cover for too long. Everything worked out today, sunny 45 degrees and plenty of time. I spent about an hour under the engine scraping off 42 years of hardened grease and oil with a dull knife and chopstick. Barely dented the hardened goop. But it was a start. The top of the engine gets cleaned when the truck gets detailed but the bottom of the engine hadn't been touched Maybe ever. Then cruise time. Lots of smiles and head nods be the public. I love my truck.

Molberg 01-04-2014 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a ton of hours... I think I'm within sight of needing a tig welder. (no stomping by the purists please.. lol)

VWNate1 01-04-2014 08:39 PM

That's actually rather clever I think .

Molberg 01-04-2014 08:42 PM

Thanks VWNate!

Boog 01-04-2014 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That resembles something I ran across today. Let me see if I can find it. This is a sketch and I have no idea if it was actually built or not. Looks pretty good too.

texjake 01-04-2014 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got the new bumper on. And I can attest to the fact that if a vendor or mfg tells you "yea those bumper brackets will fit a 67-68 Chevy truck". Don't believe them! Yea, the brackets fit the bumper but did not fit the frame worth crap. Yea right & it says install them inside the frame this way, that was BS! I wasted so much time cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, my brain is exhausted from all the non-sense with those brackets. And I could not use the old brackets, different bumpers & mounting holes. I modified the brackets so I could not return them and the I am tired of returning items & paying the shipping charges out of my pocket & not getting reimbursed for sending crap back. So I stuck it out and did it my way to make it fit. The ol' Marine way - improvise, adapt & overcome. Oorah!! Pics are below of the old bumper & the new bumper. :chevy:

Molberg 01-04-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 6450768)
That resembles something I ran across today. Let me see if I can find it. This is a sketch and I have no idea if it was actually built or not. Looks pretty good too.

Thanks..I've seen a few concept drawings similar.. but I've yet to seen it built.

Boog 01-04-2014 11:23 PM

Stay after it man. ;)

In The Ten Ring 01-05-2014 10:26 AM

Are those powder coated?