The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=233305)

OrrieG 10-16-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvitale27 (Post 6317880)
Thanks man! That was just what I was looking for.

Just to clarify the photo attached shows the factory big hole I used with a 3/4" fine thread G8 bolt with self locking nut and big plate for a washer. The small hole next to it is a 3/8" G8 fine thread with self locking nut and washer. Here is another pic of the trann/transfer mount I found too.

mvitale27 10-17-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6318252)
Just to clarify the photo attached shows the factory big hole I used with a 3/4" fine thread G8 bolt with self locking nut and big plate for a washer. The small hole next to it is a 3/8" G8 fine thread with self locking nut and washer. Here is another pic of the trann/transfer mount I found too.

Thanks. It is very kind of you to provide this information. I am already loving this forum and my truck is scheduled to be delivered this Saturday!

OrrieG 10-20-2013 10:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Good weekend. Cleaned up the shop some. Ordered 9w led back up lights and revised the circuit so I can turn them on without putting the truck in reverse. Got my door switches for the courtesy lights and installed them, thanks to Orge for sharing his hidden switch idea using the upper hinge. It is a simple two bend bracket that is attached to the upper back hinge bolt. Threaded it to match the switch for adjustment. Got misc. electrical parts so I can finish the front and back light wiring. Also scored some 69-72 4wd front hub caps so I do not have to cut up the 2wd ones.

oldman3 10-20-2013 11:46 PM

Nice ideal with the hidden switch (Orge)...Jim

OrrieG 10-31-2013 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the modification to the ac vent. It came out of an 09 Mustang, about 2 7/8" OD. AC hose is 2.5" ID. It was also too long for the hose to bend without crimping. It is abs, so I cut it down and used a sewer coupling and piece of pipe as a reducer. Both required taking out about 1/4" to reduce the diameter. Bottom is stock, top modified.

Still fighting getting the correct lamp sockets for the courtesty lights. NAPA is on try two, will be here in a week or so. If its a direct replacement will post the number for all to use. Also got my taillight leds but they sent 1156 single filament instead of 1157 dual advertised to have to wait on that too.

_Ogre 10-31-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 6325350)
Nice ideal with the hidden switch (Orge)...Jim

who's this orge guy with all these cool ideas? :D

oldman3 10-31-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 6341677)
who's this orge guy with all these cool ideas? :D

:lol::lol:I got the spelling from above post, sorry it was wrong. I also notice you have posted that the fiberglass forum is back up. I looked at this alot, until it told me I couldn't sign on. Will give it a try again...Jim

OrrieG 10-31-2013 05:06 PM

Sorry for the misspelling...

msilva12 12-04-2013 08:33 AM

OrrieG what year and make did you use the park brake pedal mechanism from?

I love the thread great job. I been down and sick for a couple of days and just read the entire thread. I cant wait to get going on mine!

OrrieG 12-04-2013 08:51 PM

74 K10 truck. C and K series 10-30 from 73-80 something are all the same. Thanks for taking a look and the compliment.

Sam03 01-17-2014 12:22 PM

Great build! Keep the updates come!

OrrieG 01-17-2014 07:17 PM

Accumulating parts for a big push when temps get better. Just about everything left needs warmer weather to accomplish.

OrrieG 01-24-2014 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is out of sequence but tired of looking for it and realizing I did not post. Around post 815 I was doing the cab wiring. here is a photo of the back of my cluster before I put it in. I wanted to show the trailer light connector I used and the new lamp holder, available off the rack at O'riellys. The upper lights are a separate harness directly from the light switch. Ammeter wired directly, oil pressure is mechanical fitting.

oldman3 01-24-2014 08:51 PM

Looks nice and neat, plug in makes it nice, if it has to come out....Jim

OrrieG 03-10-2014 12:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Good weekend. Got the hose routed from the wiper fluid tank to inside the cab, need to get a tee and some smaller line for the wiper bezels. Dropped in a battery and started checking circuits. Got a scare when I first connected the battery some of the AC relays activated, need to check the circuit to see if they were just setting or if they are drawing power all the time.

All of the stuff I have hooked up works except for the 4wd indicator on the transfer case (the switch is good, think I have a bad connection in the circuit) and an over-ride switch I wired into the courtesy relay is not working.

Here are photos of the instrument lights and high beam indicator, courtesy lights (each door operates both lights in the kick panel using a relay), dome light, and the ac and back wiring of the kick panels as I installed them. Got them installed too.

I had to take out the light switch and do some work on it. Initially the dome and instruments did not work. The switch was working when I removed it 15 years ago but sitting around it got dirty. A little sand paper for the dome ground and it started working. The instrument circuit is working but might be developing an internal break. Everything is ok on the outside of the switch, including the reostat, I am hoping one it gets used regulary it will be ok. If not its easy enough to replace.

Engine turns over so next I am going to check the fluids and start it up to check for leaks before I start putting on any more front sheet metal.

All the pics except the back of the kick panel were taken with any light in the cab or the camera flash on. Pretty bright.

Flames97 03-10-2014 01:08 AM

Cool build. I've checked it out many times before and enjoy it.

Kim57 03-10-2014 10:23 AM

Coming along real nicely.
Kim

oldman3 03-10-2014 10:32 AM

Feels good to have things working and getting them off the "to do list"...Jim

OrrieG 03-10-2014 09:31 PM

Thanks guys. I checked the front and back lighting circuits, no lights just the connector ends, everything worked as is should. Also remembered that the "faulty" courtesy light override is not that, it is the back up light switch, I have it set up so the reverse column switch or dash switch with turn on the back up light(s). Going to get an 4" aircraft landing light (off road guys love them) to use back there so I can flash the tailgaters and high beam runners...

OrrieG 03-14-2014 01:58 PM

Fixed the 4wd "in" light, I had the LED wired in backwards, which should have been a duh because diode by definition allow current to flow one way (red wire in, black out to ground for LED). All wiring is checked and good EXCEPT the HEI which I have faith in.

focusedontheprize 03-15-2014 04:47 PM

@OrrieG

Is your dome light as stock setup or did you do the LED modification?

OrrieG 03-15-2014 10:01 PM

Stock, decided to see how it looked, plenty bright for me. I will take a pic with it on, but not pointing at it.

Tried to start the truck today but having starter issues. It came with two starters, but the PO of the donor (daughter) had been having issues. former hubby had ground down the teeth on the starter and flywheel. I replace the flywheel but grabbed the wrong starter (shiney newer one but with ground down teeth). I pulled it and replaced with other (bench tested it to make sure solenoid was engaging and it spins) but it engages but will not turn the engine. I can turn the engine with a 9/16" wrench on the flywheel bolts so that is not the issue. Reading think it is shimming, will tackle it tomorrow.

OrrieG 03-18-2014 01:39 PM

After trying two starters got it to start once. It ran for about 30 seconds until the carb bowl went dry. Good news is no PS, radiator or tranny line leaks. Bad news is dispite another two hours of shimming, etc. could not get the starter to engage again, think the bendix is bad. Other starter was a newer NAPA but the teeth were ground down. I took it to NAPA and found it had a life time warranty so walked out with a new replacement.

6BT 56 03-18-2014 05:50 PM

Its been a while since you have seen the old girl make smoke i bet ! Must have felt good. Even if it was a bit short lived . Nice job on the electrical ! Looks great .

OrrieG 03-18-2014 08:17 PM

Yeah, big milestone for me, its been off the road 15 years or so.