The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My Build - FINALLY... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=335427)

64c20crewcab 08-10-2010 01:48 PM

Re: My Build - FINALLY...

Quote:

Originally Posted by creep (Post 4130424)
I really like the step bed on the crew cab, breaks up the long look of the bodylines. Engine looks killer! I may have "borrow" your painting idea with those valve covers. They are the same ones I want to put on my 63 to match the fins on my shotgun intake.

Ya I'll keep both beds for optional looks of the rig. Luckily I have the room for all and more!

Ya the 60's motor detail look for this was a must. Not a real big fan of the billet everything look. I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out. Thanks!

64c20crewcab 08-10-2010 01:56 PM

Nice! Any whiskey colored anti-freeze out there? Oh yea RUST - NO THANKS!!!!! hahahaha

64c20crewcab 08-30-2010 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Crewie is runnin now. Finally pulled it out of the "shed" on 8/22 for a drive up n down the street - 2 miles only. OIL leak but no worried. All is resolved. Drove into town this past Saturday - bot maybe 25miles on the motor now - hahaha! All is well looks n runs great. Tore the long fleet bed off yesterday. Will install the long stepside bed this week. All is rough right now just to get a cruise in this year then come fall - suspension and body work begin...

justcuz 09-07-2010 01:27 AM

Hey Norm,

Those 4.10 gears will like the cam. But you still need front discs and OD!
Got plenty on my plate, been doing house stuff for Susie, just about done. One last class for my BS degree if they don't change stuff up on me again.
Retirement is looming! After that it the junior version of monster garage at my place. The engine looks great!

Dinos63 09-08-2010 12:50 AM

congrats kat!!

64c20crewcab 09-10-2010 07:45 PM

Thanks Guys! Well the i tried to swap out the beds but the rear tires are too wide to clear the stepside fenders. I think my front tires will clear. I plan to use the same size tires all around once I get the 14bolt (3.73) in to replace the Eaton (4:10). Will test fit after the billetproof show next week in NoCal. Yep I'll be rolling the 400miles North to hang with my BayArea Crew. Pics n stuff to follow. So for now its banged up fleetside back in place. It's n feels good to have my daily driver back on the road. Just switched jobs so no more company 4X4. Oh well!!! :-)

CenValyCali 09-10-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64c20crewcab (Post 4183603)
Thanks Guys! Well the i tried to swap out the beds but the rear tires are too wide to clear the stepside fenders. I think my front tires will clear. I plan to use the same size tires all around once I get the 14bolt (3.73) in to replace the Eaton (4:10). Will test fit after the billetproof show next week in NoCal. Yep I'll be rolling the 400miles North to hang with my BayArea Crew. Pics n stuff to follow. So for now its banged up fleetside back in place. It's n feels good to have my daily driver back on the road. Just switched jobs so no more company 4X4. Oh well!!! :-)

Your not fulling around driving 400 miles to get to billetproof. The truck looks great. See you in Antioch, Maybe.

Ornery37 09-11-2010 01:07 AM

VERY COOL Truck!!!

64c20crewcab 09-13-2010 07:08 PM

Friggen #6 intake stud pulled out of the head! WTF.
I gotta find a screw in stud n fix this by tomorrow. Argh!!!!!!!!!! when I get back from Billet Proof - I'm pullin the heads n swappin out the press in rocker studs. For now I need to do this one. The #6 exhaust stud is already a screw in......

lovetttimmy 09-13-2010 08:09 PM

Good job man, love the style, and your right, i haven't seen one of those around my area!!!!

Stacked78 09-13-2010 09:13 PM

sweet lookin CC man, i'm gonna keep track of this one cause that truck is beautiful!

justcuz 09-14-2010 11:26 PM

Damn Norm, your gonna pull the Eaton! Keep it in storage dude your gonna want the 4.10's back when you get an overdrive trans...Or I'll hold on to it for you.;)

64c20crewcab 09-15-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcuz (Post 4192114)
Damn Norm, your gonna pull the Eaton! Keep it in storage dude your gonna want the 4.10's back when you get an overdrive trans...Or I'll hold on to it for you.;)

Cuz, ya don't think the 3.73 in the 14bolt with 700R4 will workout?

Comments / input please. Thanks Y'all!

Finished the rocker stud repair n valve adjustment late lastnight! 350miles on this SB n gonna change oil tonight. Headed to Billet Proof for the weekend. Need to do rear brakes tonight - thank god these are disc!!

joe231 09-15-2010 01:38 PM

What size are the tires you are running, or plan to run.
3.73's ought to work out fine. That's what I'm running in my crew with @ 30" tires.
Posted via Mobile Device

justcuz 09-15-2010 02:16 PM

In overdrive 3.73's become 2.61's, 4.10's become 2.87/2.90. The smaller your tire diameter the higher your highway RPMs are gonna be. If the cam you installed is the Edelbrock 398/420 lift cam stick with the 3.73's. If it is the 420/442 lift cam I would run the 4.10's and keep your 70 to 75 mph rpms between 2200-2400. When you get back we can run the numbers for you and do the math so it will be tits! Have fun this weekend, Susie and I are going to the All Chevy Show out in Van Nuys Saturday. We got to get together soon buddy! I just found out I need about 24 lower division GE units to graduate,:waah: but I am taking my last capstone class for my Bachelors degree this semester.:metal: It is a ***** being 58 years old and still working on your degree! However if I retire in December I can go to school full time and knock it out in two semesters plus summer school.;)

Where did you get the new job, hows the tin Indian doing and still have the GF?

Captainfab 09-16-2010 12:53 AM

That happens quite often with rebuilt heads that have been either hot tanked or baked too long or too hot. That expands the casting around the studs and they start working loose. More than likely there will be more. The best fix is to either drill and pin them or remove the pressed in studs and install screw in studs as you mentioned. Good luck on the trip to the show and back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64c20crewcab (Post 4188448)
Friggen #6 intake stud pulled out of the head! WTF.
I gotta find a screw in stud n fix this by tomorrow. Argh!!!!!!!!!! when I get back from Billet Proof - I'm pullin the heads n swappin out the press in rocker studs. For now I need to do this one. The #6 exhaust stud is already a screw in......

texastim5252 09-19-2010 03:52 PM

Re: My Build

1 Attachment(s)
I really enjoyed the chat at Billetproof car show in Antioch, CA. Check out my project truck. I will post more pics later. It is on hold until my broken hand heals.

64c20crewcab 09-24-2010 03:30 PM

Re: My Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastim5252 (Post 4199084)
I really enjoyed the chat at Billetproof car show in Antioch, CA. Check out my project truck. I will post more pics later. It is on hold until my broken hand heals.

GOOD TO MEET YA TOO!

Btw My friend drove to up there to buy that rig last year. He decided not to take it back with him. Good luck n heal up. There's wrenchin to be done :-)! All the best Bro!

gulfcoast66 09-24-2010 04:01 PM

MAN your truck is looking good bro. Im really digging them v covers..

juanz1947 01-09-2011 03:52 AM

this truck is bad where about do you live i never seen it up i live up here in victorville ca

64c20crewcab 01-09-2011 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
juanz1947 - Thanks. Me n my daily driver is up here in the High Desert. Out n about in about in Victorville/Hesperia on weekends a couple times a month. Don't know to many up this way aside from Strodder - good people! By your signature, you've got a kewl collection of rides!

1/09/11 Update:
We since the last post, I've driven this rig almost every day (no more company car) up n down the Cajon Pass into civilization. In late Sept the remainder of the press in studs pulled out and more of the valve springs broke. The shop that did the work told me the springs were fine when they cleaned up the heads. Well they were not. Pretty frustrating to say the least. I wont go back to complain or request them do something about it. I did some reading and went ahead and replaced these items myself. It's running fine but no additional work has been done. :(

Because of where I am located I picked up an older Toy 4Rnr as a daily driver n parts getter. Still working some electrical bugs out but it will be rolling soon - i hope.

Plans for 2011: MOVE, overdrive trans, tires, install step side bed n lay down some fresh black primer 2" exhaust. If I get lucky: bag'd suspension. We'll see....

Happy New Year

ChiefRocka 01-09-2011 01:06 PM

Sweet man ... love that truck !!!

Been there with the studs pulling out ...

Take a ride to No*Cal ... we'll get those bags hook up !! ;)

64c20crewcab 01-09-2011 01:27 PM

The MOVE I mentioned is to get back home to the SF Bay Area. Will let y'all know when I get movin.... Thanks Chief!

joe231 01-09-2011 01:32 PM

Right on Norm!
Good to hear things are going good!
That truck will be flat out sick bagged!!
Posted via Mobile Device

64c20crewcab 06-15-2011 12:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well the work slowed down on this thing but good and just as things pick up and I'm ready to bag it - I get laid off...

I installed 5" springs and no notch a few months ago and it was fine on air shocks but I wanted more. Grabbed 3" notch brackets from Brothers and now in process of welding these in.

We cut frame, removed rivets, notched the drivers side plate to accommodate and weld in panhard frame mount in stock location. Have an adjustable bar.

In middle work of this I grabbed a set of bags, plates and additoinal material to box in a portion of frame. We should be done by weeks end. btw none of the bolt holes on bottom of the Brothers notch lined up. All were off bout 3/4" @ 45 degrees. Is this normal.... no matter cause we clamped these to frame at bottom, then bolted the brackets to frame but had to weld in filler plats on back side of the brackets above notch due to too large of a gap to weld in. Finished fitting, bolting in and welding in both sides today. Tomorrow we start in frame bag and trail arm bag mounts. We should be done by this Friday. Welds are intermittent as you will see in the pic's. We are gonna redo the back and bag the front later this summer. Plan is to swap the rear end (eaton for a 14 bolt) at that time....