The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   "FRAME OFF" Has Begun - Wish Me Luck! - Pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=309288)

California gold 68 01-05-2009 02:41 AM

Re: "FRAME OFF" Has Begun - Wish Me Luck! - Pics

Dan, I hope my build turns out half as nice as yours. Keep up the effort!

tommypic 01-05-2009 07:25 AM

WOW what a build . I just wish mine was that far a long . swapping parts and frt suspension is a PITA when going from old to new . going to watch this build :thumbs:

Rack Man 01-07-2009 12:23 AM

Thanks guys for all the compliments....Helps keep me motivated!.....I'm doing my best to try and do a really quality restoration.....it's a challenge for me as I can be short on patience sometimes....This being my first "Frame off" resto I'm learning as I go....and this site has helped tons...I spend hours using the search function...that feature is priceless!

Getting closer to firing her up...Just waiting on a couple small parts to get the radiator core and related goodies installed!...I plan on doing video on the initial firing....hopefully it doesn't show up on "America's Funniest Home Videos" or "When Good Times Go Bad"......LOL

Dan

Here's one engine pic....playing with my new Camera I got for Christmas...was hoping it would be better in low light conditions than my other one....but not so much!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SW...0/100_0096.JPG

chevy_mike 01-07-2009 11:13 AM

I know you swapped to a later front axle but did you change the rear axle to a '71 or later housing?

Not 100% sure about the 4x4's but 2wd models, starting in '71, the axle widths became 1.5" wider, which could account for the brake lines being too short.

Also, starting in '71, with disc brakes, the hard lines were in front of the axle, where the flex line would connect, not behind like your frame is setup for. This could also account for the front lines being too short. Again, this info is relating to 2wd models so 4x4's might be different but it could be something to check.

That is always part of the fun when swapping in parts that are not for the exact year and/or model, you start to find all the little differences.

Hope the info might help you. Nice build!

Rack Man 01-07-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 3071793)
I know you swapped to a later front axle but did you change the rear axle to a '71 or later housing?

Not 100% sure about the 4x4's but 2wd models, starting in '71, the axle widths became 1.5" wider, which could account for the brake lines being too short.

Also, starting in '71, with disc brakes, the hard lines were in front of the axle, where the flex line would connect, not behind like your frame is setup for. This could also account for the front lines being too short. Again, this info is relating to 2wd models so 4x4's might be different but it could be something to check.

That is always part of the fun when swapping in parts that are not for the exact year and/or model, you start to find all the little differences.

Hope the info might help you. Nice build!

I appreciate the insight....

Well, I'm 99.9% sure that both of my axles were original.....the existing GM 12 bolt hard lines do not have the spring wrap like in the 71-72 and fit perfect....the bends on the new ones are fine....their just too short on the last leg before the "T".....

On the front brake lines....I explained to Inline Tube exactly what I was doing as far as the axle swap.....They said no problem...but not only was the length wrong....the fitting that goes through the frame had the wrong ID to accept the new lines they sent me....

Also, my existing drum lines entered the frame in front of the axle, just as your claiming that the Disk should.....is that a correct statement or did you mean the opposite?.....because the length would have been correct if I mounted them on the rear side of the bump stops....

Here is a pic of where my existing front lines entered..

Thanks, Dan

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SP...ate9%20030.jpg

Joesjunk 01-07-2009 01:19 PM

WOW, Great job!! I like them stock also. As for the tires, 31 10.50 15 will fit, but would look better with a wider wheel. They made 15 x 8 stock steel wheels that you can put the hub caps on. They look good with 31 10.50's or 33 12.50's. If you want to keep the 6" wheels, they make 33 9.50 15 tires. Cant wait to see it done!!

ChaseDale3and8 01-07-2009 03:51 PM

Looking forward to seeing the video of the initial start up! ...Joe

Rack Man 01-13-2009 07:52 PM

test...ok that didn't work.......neither did that.....or that.....or that.....DAMN!

Ok...I have no idea how to embed a youtube video in a post...any help?

Also any idea how shorten a video so that I can upload to Youtube???

Dan

msgross 01-13-2009 08:14 PM

Here you go... all you have to copy is the address

Rack Man 01-13-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3084639)
Here you go... all you have to copy is the address

YouTube - 1970 Chevy 4x4 - Engine

Thanks Mike........I tried "Wrapping" the link as well as the youtube embedded link every way possible...never thought of just copying and pasting the addy!

Anyways, I indeed got the engine started today....w/virtually no issues....one small gas leak at the carb inlet.....then just timed it and adjusted the carb and she purred like a baby...

I have the inital start up video but it's 30 min's long....I'm trying to find a way to shorten it up....This video was taken after the leak was fixed and we had her running good!

Dan

msgross 01-13-2009 09:09 PM

use MS movie maker to shorten up videos...

sounds good but the camera makes it sound more like a tractor!

did you have it rebuilt?

Rack Man 01-13-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3084743)
use MS movie maker to shorten up videos...

sounds good but the camera makes it sound more like a tractor!

did you have it rebuilt?

Yea the camera does no justice on the sound....Actually I am really pleased with the sweet sound thats coming out of the $35 Dynamax mufflers....And yes the engine was rebuilt and bored 30 over with a baby cam....

sdailey 01-13-2009 09:26 PM

Dan,

You officially suck......:lol::lol:

And I thought getting my oil filter adapter installed this afternoon was an accomplishment. The video is awesome. Keep up the good work. I'm going to stand over there now and pout.

Rack Man 01-14-2009 01:08 PM

Ok...here is the initial start-up...happens about 1:00 min. in...

The older guy is Bud, the guy who did the rebuild...he wanted to be present when it got fired for the first time....

We had some timing light issues, so it's gets a bit boring....but it was exciting for me....I'm so stoked that we had no issues to speak of....I did have a light intermittent scratching sound coming from the flywheel/clutch area that lasted for a minute or two....then subsided...not sure what it was....But other than that all went well...!!

NYC-10 01-20-2009 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm also building a 70 4x4 and I had the exact same problem w/ inline tube brake lines.I just sent them back.

Rack Man 01-21-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC-10 (Post 3098171)
I'm also building a 70 4x4 and I had the exact same problem w/ inline tube brake lines.I just sent them back.

Well,I just got my third set of rear brake lines delivered today.....and well....the drivers side - long one fit perfectly....but the short one wasn't even close to the correct bends....the length was ok, so I just hand bent it to fit the best I could....I'm done dealing with it....

Funny, Inline Tube now tells me to just throw away the other two sets they sent...one of which wasn't even for a chevy truck....at least there are no return shipping costs!

NYC-10 01-22-2009 08:14 AM

I also ordered stainless hoses from them and they were longer then they were supposed to be.I sent everything back and went with a different company

gcburdic 01-22-2009 09:37 AM

WOW Dan, great build man....Keep the pictures coming and keep up the great work!

Rack Man 01-25-2009 07:55 PM

Started the wood bed conversion....Got it all diassembled and modified the front panel using the adapter flange from Mar-K. Actually went very fast...Only had about 3 hours total (2 guys).

I did learn that basically all I can really install right now (Pre-paint) is the main rear cross sill and the front panel....The intermediate cross sills will just be painted loose and then installed with the wood after paint

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SX...40/100_0139.JP

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SX...0/100_0135.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SX...0/100_0132.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SX...2/100_0143.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2wzS50GoNjQ/SX...0/100_0146.JPG

thelonerife 03-04-2009 12:49 AM

any updates?

BIG HEAD 03-04-2009 01:00 PM

Very very nice truck from the start. You are doing a great job with the detail.

LEEVON 03-04-2009 06:04 PM

Rack Man come back man!

vern350 03-04-2009 11:11 PM

Amazed with the detail your putting into this build. Keep up the great work, things are looking good.

Rack Man 03-23-2009 10:16 PM

No real updates lately....I'm kinda stalled....Body has been in "body shop jail" and I'm a little low on funds right now...so It's all good!....However, all the body work is indeed complete and everything is now in urethane primer....

Now I'm trying to figure out the correct sequence to completing the wood bed conversion as far as paint is concerned??..

With the bed being fully dissambled, I'm wondering now, when should I do the actual assembly....after painting the loose bed panels ?.....or partial asssembly of the bed with rear cross sill and front panel only and then paint?....do I paint the intermediate sills loose ?....Or should I fully assemble everything now and just tape all the wood off ?...or maybe I can have the panels "Jammed" with paint, do the full asssembly and then paint the outside skins after the bed is back on the truck?

I originaly purchased everything except the wood and hardware thinking I could reassemble the entire bed and then simply add the wood later...but I soon realized that you can do that as all of the intermediate cross sills sandwich the wood to the bed....!

If anyone has any advise on this subject I would love to hear it!

Dan

BAD4X4 03-24-2009 08:05 PM

I put my bed together after paint. It was a time taker but it was worth it in the end. Just my $0.02:lol: