The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244)

BlueJeep 12-03-2009 02:29 PM

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTucker (Post 3653198)
After having the "pleasure" of driving an Envoy for work the last couple of weeks I gotta ask - why an Envoy? I have the same "300hp" motor and it's a joke. I've never driven something so boring and underpowered as this inline. Where the "300hp" claim comes from is beyond me. I would still have a hard time believing it has 200 hp...plus the handeling is absolutely terrible and the awd is useless on anything other than snow (got it stuck in about 3" of mud).

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade - just wondering what made you choose an Envoy. I totally understand the classic body on modern technology concept, but why not a v8 based trailblazer? They make an SS Trailblazer that has like 400hp or something rediculous...

Comparing to a bone stock one probably isn't a good comparison. I'm betting bone stock, the Envoy had more zip than the 216. I'm also betting that with a tune, it could liven up considerably...

Also, speed and performance may not be all that important. My s10 swap uses the stock 4.3 with 200K on it...I'm not expecting to pass everyone, just looking for reliability and parts availability (and fuel injection).

sweet70beast 12-03-2009 03:28 PM

I've driven many Tblazers and Envoys over the years with inlines and have been pleased with the performance. Infact I even thought about putting one in one of my projects someday.

BBEEP 12-03-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTucker (Post 3653198)
After having the "pleasure" of driving an Envoy for work the last couple of weeks I gotta ask - why an Envoy? I have the same "300hp" motor and it's a joke. I've never driven something so boring and underpowered as this inline. Where the "300hp" claim comes from is beyond me. I would still have a hard time believing it has 200 hp...plus the handeling is absolutely terrible and the awd is useless on anything other than snow (got it stuck in about 3" of mud).

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade - just wondering what made you choose an Envoy. I totally understand the classic body on modern technology concept, but why not a v8 based trailblazer? They make an SS Trailblazer that has like 400hp or something rediculous...

Mr. Tucker,
What good does you comment do for this thread. If you want to know why he chose an Envoy then ask why did you choose an Envoy. Your comment in my opinion is trolling and can be done without.

THANKS BRITNJC. Mr. Tucker: 1st, the Envoy is IMO the next level from the S10 conversion. The wheelbase and chassis should fit well. The '300hp' is an upgrade from the 270 cu splasher I6 my GMC had in it originally, and there are lots of upgrades I can purchase for a late model motor. Handling? never expected my truck to be a sportscar, why would you? And who goes fourwheelin in an SUV, DIDN'T YOU SEE THE MUD? AND if I wanted something to handle and have lots of power, I'd buy a new Camaro or Corvette. Or I'd go for a drive in the 2008 TBSS I already own!! (and probably get smoked by a grandma in a new Camaro) (OH, and its spelled rIdiculous)

MrTucker 12-03-2009 04:10 PM

good lord, fire down fellas. It wasn't an attack by any means.

I stated that I think the envoy is underpowered and was just wondering why you chose an inline that lacks power and handling vs. a loaded v8 with sport suspension to do such an involved and expensive project. Didn't think that was such an offensive question.

btw, I wasn't 4wheeling. I work as an engineer on highway construction projects and got stuck on a totally flat shoulder after the envoy sank in the mud about 3" - not exactly 4wheeling pal

0331grunt 12-03-2009 05:03 PM

I'll be interested to see how this all works out... :metal:

884x4Sub 12-03-2009 06:23 PM

very cool project....Im staying tuned for sure......I have a genuine '99 Winston Cup car that Im going to put a 69 Chevelle body on and make it into a roadcourse trackday car and eventually make it quasi street legal.....I can relate to all the measurements and planning your doing......One question....will you register it as a '52 Sub?

BBEEP 12-04-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 884x4Sub (Post 3653644)
One question....will you register it as a '52 Sub?

Oh yeah, still registered as a 52!;)

Sub-versive 12-04-2009 01:59 AM

Ah Lawd this will be a sweet build!:metal::metal:
Subscribed.

Any more pics? :D

Cautrell05 12-04-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 3653362)
Mr. Tucker,
What good does you comment do for this thread. If you want to know why he chose an Envoy then ask why did you choose an Envoy. Your comment in my opinion is trolling and can be done without.

THANKS BRITNJC. Mr. Tucker: 1st, the Envoy is IMO the next level from the S10 conversion. The wheelbase and chassis should fit well. The '300hp' is an upgrade from the 270 cu splasher I6 my GMC had in it originally, and there are lots of upgrades I can purchase for a late model motor. Handling? never expected my truck to be a sportscar, why would you? And who goes fourwheelin in an SUV, DIDN'T YOU SEE THE MUD? AND if I wanted something to handle and have lots of power, I'd buy a new Camaro or Corvette. Or I'd go for a drive in the 2008 TBSS I already own!! (and probably get smoked by a grandma in a new Camaro) (OH, and its spelled rIdiculous)

Thought I would chime in on this one as I see one angle that no one has mentioned. Whats the curb weight on a stock envoy. Not the gvw on the door tag but if you roll it across a scale what does it weigh in at. How much does it weigh now after the cutting. Im willing to bet that even after putting the 52 body back on and full interior its several hundred pounds lighter than stock. And because alot of that weight is up high its going to corner better. Both of those are going to make it faster and handle better without trying.

The 02+ t chassis used on the trailblazers and envoys is so much better than the s-10. Way better front end geometry, rack and pinion steering, better brakes. Im on my second traiblazer now and my only complaint on this one is that it has 3.42 gears. Extended trailblazers with 3.42s are kinda poochy on 60 mph hilly roads. Other than that im looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Nick

BBEEP 12-04-2009 10:51 AM

Thanks Nick. If I end up bringing the Envoy chassis home for the few weeks the Burb is in the dipshop, I'll run it across the scale. Didn't weigh the Burb before I dismantled it, but I have my 48 Panel with a big block 700r I could compare it to. Also, if there is room I will channel the body a little, then do some lowering with aftermarket parts.
My bodyman has done an S-10 conversion, & he would most definitely agree with you. He says they are actually a little narrow to be premium.

OKGMC4 12-04-2009 03:58 PM

Makes me wonder if the Canyon/ Colorado would make a decent alternative to S10 chassis swaps. They are on the same platform as the trailblazer and also have rack and pinion steering.

I know it will tick people off but the 05 and newer Frontier has a fully boxed frame, 4 wheel disc, rack steering, and a 260hp V6 that can run with quite a few V8's...so it would also make an interesting choice as well.

BlueJeep 12-04-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 3655239)
Makes me wonder if the Canyon/ Colorado would make a decent alternative to S10 chassis swaps. They are on the same platform as the trailblazer and also have rack and pinion steering.

I know it will tick people off but the 05 and newer Frontier has a fully boxed frame, 4 wheel disc, rack steering, and a 260hp V6 that can run with quite a few V8's...so it would also make an interesting choice as well.

Both may make good donors, but aren't nearly as cheap and easy to find. IMHO, this is what makes the s10 swaps so popular.

Cautrell05 12-04-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 3655239)

Sorry man. The colorado chassis is a completely different isuzu chassis and in my opinion is junk. Yea its got rack and pinion but the front end geometry is horrible and the rest is not much better. Sorry. I just despise them.

Nick

BBEEP 12-04-2009 06:44 PM

I guess mine is the guinea pig! Of course I used the Envoy because I wanted to use the floor, and the way the seats bolt in. Also, it had to be GMC to GMC ;)

Boomerswany 12-04-2009 06:54 PM

BB,

IDC what you used or why, just glad your trying something cool! :metal:

T Hilde 12-04-2009 10:20 PM

Bummer, I was hoping for more pics. Looks like a fun build!

Restrorob 12-09-2009 01:39 PM

Was just passing by from the 73/87 section and stuck my head in, WOW what a project !!!

Couldn't help but to subscribe for the ride..... :metal:

cajundragger 12-10-2009 12:55 AM

yeah that I-6 motor is a dog. doesnt have any potential.

ghettoluxury 12-19-2009 12:28 PM

Any updates on this awsome project?

BBEEP 12-22-2009 02:29 PM

Just bought a bare firewall from an 04 Trailblazer. Will use it to create a pattern for the permanent Envoy firewall. The hardest part of the build is to get the measurements correct the first time! Will post pics of the fun after New Years.

Jonboy 12-23-2009 10:39 PM

Hey, while you are posting pics, can you throw some up of the Impala wagon? This is going to be a cool build, I dig the bus, too.

BBEEP 12-24-2009 01:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 3690285)
Hey, while you are posting pics, can you throw some up of the Impala wagon? This is going to be a cool build, I dig the bus, too.

61 Impala Wagon. LT1, 4L60E, leather, a/c, airride, dechromed, dropped two taillights

Jonboy 12-24-2009 11:11 AM

That wagon is awesome. I had a 61 Impala in college (3 actually), and have loved them ever since. Beautiful, and a wagon, to boot.

NONHOG 12-24-2009 12:38 PM

Dropped 2 tailights ? Before pics ?
Oh and DAHUMM !

BBEEP 12-24-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 3691243)
Dropped 2 tailights ? Before pics ?
Oh and DAHUMM !

Yup, Impalas had 3 on each side, used a Brookwood tailgate--so lost two. Oh and THAHUNKS!