The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do you afford it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=292203)

prairewolf 05-19-2008 02:02 PM

Re: How do you afford it?

throw your mind at a problem/want long before you throw your money at it, after years of financial beatings I am starting to do this.lol. I heard once that when the mind knows the WHAT that needs to be done, it autamatically starts to figure out the HOW.......... hope what I said made some sense,. .... about all I have baught so far for my Sub is a 1900 dollar paint job and 100 dollars worth of tune up parts.... if money was no object I would own a heck of a lot more objects.

I learned a lot from all the above posts, thanks.

life is good,kent

TP from Cntl PA 05-19-2008 08:59 PM

I work on a farm full time after a few years of farming myself..........I've found that being cheap(Don't waste money on stupid stuff) frees it up to spend elsewhere. I went to a tech school to be a machinist and did it for a few years..........Really hated it. IMO, you have to do what you love and money will follow.

As for trucks, I like them because I can put together combinations that I can't get on a new one. For example, I like a granny 4 spd in a pickup for farm use, can't get that on a new one. Also, having manual hubs on a 4x4 front axle is hard to get on a new one(Don't think you can on a GM anymore) because I use low range reverse in 2 wheel drive alot backing equipment up. Its things like those that really make me like these old trucks. Plus with the aftermarket, you can nearly build one new with nothing other than a cab and frame. I also factor in the fact that I can work on everything myself here in my farm shop.........Only thing I "Outsource" is machine work and alignments.

Zonaman 05-19-2008 09:19 PM

Afford it? Know all that stuff missing from everyone's garage? That was me! :jest:

Actually, the guy who said stay in school was right. It took me 10 years to get my degree and I worked the whole time. I remember hocking things just for parts to keep my old VW Beetle on the road.

So what did I wind up doing? Don't laugh- I'm a librarian. If you're still laughing think about this: I make as much money as an experienced ASE certified master tech. and my hands never get dirty. I'm ready to retire at 52 and I'll never have to work another day in my life- this is after putting 2 girls though college. So to you young guys out there- Get the training and or education, do what you love, and the rest will come to you.

End of sermon.

leddzepp 05-19-2008 09:23 PM

Go into the medical field if you have the stomach for it. Great pay and recession-proof as well.

jayharrell 05-19-2008 09:32 PM

I don't think any of us can "afford it''. Hell i know i can't realy, and my truck shows it LOL

No other payments of any kinda, no credit cards, no car note, just the house and bills.

We alos budget everything before the pay checks hit, everything has an allowance. Even "money for whater' is budgeted. But onces its gone. its gone.

Go into printer/copier repair. Thas what i've been doing for the last 8 years. Its all the fun of tearing stuff apart and fixing it, without all the grease and 100 degree temps of working on transmisions. I'll take AC, cute receptionists and golf shirts over bubba at the parts store, smashed fingers, and sweating all day. The pay is great too. Every business in the world has to print something. Pretty much recesion proof.

MrBeast 05-19-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayharrell (Post 2728884)
I don't think any of us can "afford it''. Hell i know i can't realy, and my truck shows it LOL

No other payments of any kinda, no credit cards, no car note, just the house and bills.

We alos budget everything before the pay checks hit, everything has an allowance. Even "money for whater' is budgeted. But onces its gone. its gone.

Go into printer/copier repair. Thas what i've been doing for the last 8 years. Its all the fun of tearing stuff apart and fixing it, without all the grease and 100 degree temps of working on transmisions. I'll take AC, cute receptionists and golf shirts over bubba at the parts store, smashed fingers, and sweating all day. The pay is great too. Every business in the world has to print something. Pretty much recesion proof.

WHERE'S THE MONEY LEBOWSKI?

7DEETWO 05-19-2008 09:55 PM

Overtime.....!!!!!

jayharrell 05-19-2008 09:59 PM

Lol..

dieselarmy13 05-20-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast (Post 2728892)
WHERE'S THE MONEY LEBOWSKI?

:haha:

subalternnavert 05-20-2008 04:01 AM

I don't have a girlfriend. Makes life so much easier.

68350 05-20-2008 05:59 AM

Right now I'm going to school for Petro Engineering, and this summer I'm working the rigs as a floor hand for about 6000 a month gross pay. It is a really sucky job, but it pays good and my dad's the safety coordinator so I don't have to worry too much. It's good money, I'd just rather get my degree and make more money and do less. My truck has been a combination of excellent deals and extra parts from my brother. The cab and front end are near perfect, just need paint, and the box I just need to buy bedsides for. So for the cost of paint(my dad self-taught himself to paint), seat cover, bedsides, and rhino-lining, mine will be done. About 3000 total into an extremely nice truck. 400 for the truck, 250 for the 396/th400, 1000 for paint, etc, 1000 for bedsides, and a few hundred for misc parts. Deals are out there and you just need to wait your turn, it'll happen. And as far as school goes, I had a rough first year, but I learned from my huge list of mistakes and know what I NEED to do next year to make ends meet and stay out of trouble. Nothing like life experience!

68350 05-20-2008 06:04 AM

Oh yeah, my gf is completely supportive of my collecting habits(trucks and toys-actual toys not motorcycles, etc.). She is working two jobs this summer to save up money for US next year. And I won't lie or mislead, my parents have totally been there for me when I needed it. They bought me a 98 chevy silverado when I was 16 or 17 and that's what I use for transportation. It has 113000 miles, but it runs good and has had a lot of service work so it continues to run good. So between me and my gf not having any bills during college besides rent and utilities(got an academic full ride), i can stretch out a summer's worth of work to last 7 months so I don't have to be distracted when I need to focus on more important stuff, like petro classes and sciences.

scottrod71 05-20-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krue (Post 2728284)
Yes it is, but my wife is on my case to save up and build a house so I gotta stay gazelle intense.:lol: Working 36 hours of o/t this WEEKEND, just so I can have a little money to play with.:rolleyes:

LOL.......I'd forgotten Dave's gazelle intense story. Thanks for the reminder!

As another of the old geezers on the forum, there is no better advice than getting the education and staying out of debt. Dave Ramsey is an excellent place to find a plan. For my truck, it isn't a show truck and never will be but its paid for and all parts are as they go on. I have a mechanical repair shop so I do get parts and labor much cheaper but my stuff is always the last to be worked on. I do the body and paint work myself and thats really about all my truck needs for now. Last piece of advice........life goes by very quickly and none of our toys means anything when it's over. Make sure the priorities are right and the fun stuff will fall into place later in life. Great post, by the way.

jayharrell 05-20-2008 07:10 PM

WOW.. Glad to see i'm not the only one living like noone else so i can live like no one else.

boundstaffpress 05-21-2008 12:23 AM

Dave Ramsey has taken more stress from my family than any one single change in the last five years. We can afford to do more than just my truck.

jayharrell 05-21-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boundstaffpress (Post 2730515)
Dave Ramsey has taken more stress from my family than any one single change in the last five years. We can afford to do more than just my truck.

x2.

krue 05-21-2008 01:12 AM

It's almost like we've hijacked this thread.:lol: Check out my thread on the General Discussion board.:D

Scott Webster 05-21-2008 02:44 AM

Lessee... My wonderful hard working wife is a teacher (she's soaking in the tub after a bad day...):dnd: I am a union sheet metal worker. My truck is paid for by scrap $$$, poker winnings, overtime, and a savings account appropriately named toy fund. I figure it is cheaper than drinking, drugs and stripper joints. Yes, stay in school, but I would say do at least 4 years if you can stand it. I have an associates in mechanical technology and wish I had more. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to see what all the buzz is about with Dave Ramsey!

dieselarmy13 05-21-2008 03:04 AM

I think this Dave Ramsey fellow should be paying board vendor fees.

jayharrell 05-21-2008 03:20 AM

I'm must glad to find some other people that don't think i'm crazy for living the way i do.

Again sorry to highjack, but when your on a budget, you can't afford to have TWO different threads going on. LOL...

Just goes to show me the charactor of guys that have interest in these trucks.

I think the 'afford it' comes from priorites. Family first, then everything else. Its easy to get a loan *or was a few months ago* or max out some credit cards to pay for a show quality truck. But the hands on building and fabing has replaced turning the soil or digging for a man to have a place and be a man. How can you put a price on that.

I'm young so i'm thing about what values i need to get young ones.I'll stop before i get too off and then become the wierd guy. *probably too late*

Carlin said it best "the continued pussification of the american male" its gotta stop. but that can be halted by a realy nice 69 swb with a 396.

TruckinDaddy 05-21-2008 03:44 AM

I am a stay at home dad. So I beg and whine for truck money.

But I am also perfectly content with my 68 looking like a junked out beater as long as it'll get me to Home Depot and back.

Chevyman680063 05-21-2008 04:38 AM

Shhh, don't tell anyone but I'm a part time male gigolo.:four::lol:

BraveDave 05-21-2008 05:03 AM

Besides being debt-free, I own a business that is really lucrative. I have my ex to thank for my current financial situation - she left. She's really great!

67_C-30 05-21-2008 05:26 AM

I am a CNC Programmer for a Mold and Machine Shop by day, and I own and operate a swimming pool maintenance business on the side.

powell72 05-21-2008 05:36 AM

I'm a mechanic, that's why there's no finished trucks at my house.:(