The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Project: Agent Orange (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368631)

swyfor5 11-03-2009 02:04 PM

Re: Project: Agent Orange

That really looks sweet!

fxdxharley 11-03-2009 02:13 PM

I like it! gives it the look of undercoating. how much build up do you think?

Chevyman63 11-03-2009 04:46 PM

You're just cruisen along...looks great!

vtblazer 11-03-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxdxharley (Post 3600616)
I like it! gives it the look of undercoating. how much build up do you think?

Maybe 20/30mils

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 3600811)
You're just cruisen along...looks great!

It is getting interesting...the more I get done, the more I feel ilike I have left to do...crazy stuff. :crazy:

Feels like it's out of order somehow, going to clear coat on an otherwise totally unfinished truck...dunno.

Last base coat, I always seem to apply it to thick, can't get past it. :sumo:

vtblazer 11-03-2009 05:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hope I like orange...:lol: Wow is this thing loud!

Guys, give me some input, I'm wondering how it might look if I made the clear coat on the interior (except for the dash area) a matt finish...?

I'm thinking it might help tone down the whole 'orange experience' thing.

Remeber, no carpet in this thing, ALL orange!

turp mcspray 11-03-2009 06:12 PM

How can you NOT like orange? I'm just a little biased.HaHa!
Does that stuff stay soft and rubbery or does it set up hard?
Man, I want to drop everything and get busy on my blazer now!

vtblazer 11-03-2009 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3600929)
How can you NOT like orange? I'm just a little biased.HaHa!
Does that stuff stay soft and rubbery or does it set up hard?
Man, I want to drop everything and get busy on my blazer now!

Naw joking, I love orange and have always wanted an orange K5 but still, it's still surprisingly bright.

Got proof I've been there, done orange before. ;)

1949gmc 11-03-2009 06:46 PM

I don't know...... if you were to dull down the clear, I think I'd only spray the interior like that, just to keep from burning out your retina and avoiding migraines. I don't think I'd do that to the firewall or anything else, though. If you're okay with the migraines, or have an abundance of Excedrin, make it as bright as possible. ;) Looks awesome either way.

vtblazer 11-03-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1949gmc (Post 3600981)
I don't know...... if you were to dull down the clear, I think I'd only spray the interior like that, just to keep from burning out your retina and avoiding migraines. I don't think I'd do that to the firewall or anything else, though. If you're okay with the migraines, or have an abundance of Excedrin, make it as bright as possible. ;) Looks awesome either way.

lol, just the interior below the dash.

Keep the dash glossy but do the floors/kick panels, rear quarter sides & inner tail gate in matt finish.

It would look a lot like the pic I already posted of the base coat dry.
(that's where I got the idea, I liked the look of it)

msgross 11-03-2009 07:34 PM

that orange will look great, under a black floor mat!:cool:

1949gmc 11-03-2009 07:34 PM

I see exactly what you're talking about and I think it'd look real good. Kinda like a flat black hood on a Cuda or a Challenger, except it's a floor...... on a truck..... and it's orange....... okay, maybe its not the same. Put me down for liking the idea.

1sik52 11-03-2009 07:53 PM

I think the name should be changed from Agent Orange to Orange Peel!! Looks good though

Wildstreak 11-03-2009 07:58 PM

I think orange matte will look amazing, specially with clear dash and doors!

Thealien 11-03-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sik52 (Post 3601116)
I think the name should be changed from Agent Orange to Orange Peel!! Looks good though

I like it! I was thinking something like that when I saw it!

VA72C10 11-03-2009 09:34 PM

I would agree on the flat where you mentioned. Looks good.

AJs72K5 11-03-2009 10:41 PM

No carpet? Really? Gonna be a lot of orange. If that's the case, I'd go matte on the floor, won't look as beat up over time and won't show foot prints as much.

turp mcspray 11-03-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3600956)
Naw joking, I love orange and have always wanted an orange K5 but still, it's still surprisingly bright.

Got proof I've been there, done orange before. ;)

I'm doing a 69 road runner for a guy right now. It's a black on black A12 4spd car.
These blazers look soooo good orange. I wish mine was as far as yours is.

Big J 11-03-2009 11:54 PM

I think it looks great. Keep in mind you'll more than likely have a black dash pad, seats, door panels, maybe side panels, etc. It'll break it up nicely.

scoyote 11-04-2009 12:28 AM

I LOVE orange blazers ;-)

I was worried about mine when I first saw how orange it was but as I get more and more black mixed in with it I really think it tones it down.

I'm not sure about the orange floor.....put some individual black rubber mats in there to break it up and keep the mud from getting to slippery....???

I wanna see more!

vtblazer 11-04-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJs72K5 (Post 3601410)
Gonna be a lot of orange. If that's the case, I'd go matte on the floor, won't look as beat up over time and won't show foot prints as much.

Pretty much the way I looking at it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3601580)
I think it looks great. Keep in mind you'll more than likely have a black dash pad, seats, door panels, maybe side panels, etc. It'll break it up nicely.

Your 100% correct, there's still a lot going to be installed into the tub to break up all the orange but seeing the base coat dried to a satin finish, it's a tough call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoyote (Post 3601634)
I'm not sure about the orange floor.....put some individual black rubber mats in there to break it up and keep the mud from getting to slippery....???

Yep, floor matts or carpet pieces w/magnets where feet will land, are in the plans.

RAB38 11-04-2009 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey VT, looks good, When I did mine i put black line x in mine because I thought if it was the same as the body color it would be too much. One thing to note on mine the dash and rollbar is orange and it does cause a reflection in the windshield when the sun beats down on it. I am used to it now.

I attached a pic of how mine looks, I used a grey dash pad but the rest of the dash is orange.

What color orange are you using?

vtblazer 11-04-2009 11:31 AM

Your such a tease RAB...:lol:

I think I'll do the floor with a matt finish clear and being you mentioned the reflection, do the top of the dash behind the dash pad with it too.

My cage will not be orange either.

RAB38 11-04-2009 11:41 AM

I know, I know, I thought I would give you a glimse into the future, ha ha.

I think the bar that runs parallel to the dash is what causes most of the reflection on mine. I think the matte finish is a good solution.

Cant wait to see the end result, I know it is going to be awesome.

vtblazer 11-04-2009 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more pic of the base coat, last base coat fully dry out doors, overcast skies.

I like this look for the floor, a nice satin finish would be cool.

RAB38 11-04-2009 05:22 PM

What color orange did you go with?