The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any pictures of Stepsides with Coys C5? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=482381)

RdoubleU 08-14-2012 03:01 PM

Re: Any pictures of Stepsides with Coys C5?

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my sketches of my understanding since I am at work:

This really puts into perspective the difference of the BS #'s

Centerline assumes the middle of the wheel/mounting flange from inside bead to bead (not the additional 1" to consider for the flanges)

CC69Rat 08-14-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5538840)
This thread is making me crazy. Ha.

:lol:

Me too ..

RdoubleU 08-14-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5538918)
:lol:

Me too ..

You guys have it easy then, I'm already there :crazy:

CC69Rat 08-14-2012 04:23 PM

I laugh because it brings back memories of when I did the same thing on my stepper.

With your fancy UCA/LCA setup (kidding ..:D) I'm not sure I can help you in the front.

And I agree with Keith on the fact that WR might not be exactly as wide as a true wheel would be in reality but it is a bit wider edge to edge as it is from the simulated wheel bead to bead mesurement. When you check for clearance you need a little room for wheel flex / tire bead too so just keep that in mind.

So if you put a 305 tire on the 8" wheel it's gonna puff out a little more than my 255. :lol: just sayin .. You have to know the section width of the tires you plan to run too. some people like a little more tire than others, me personall I like the look of a 45 vs. the 40 .. but Keith likes the 40s. The tire will sit differently on a 8 vs. an 8.5" wheel too of course.

On the rear of my stepside with the 255/45 and an 8.5 / 4.75BS it's sitting dead even on both side of the inner fenders / bedside. I could air the truck all the way down and have about 3/8" clearance on the side of the tire before it hits the lip of the outer fender edge. I haven't trimmed a thing. I searched the world over for good solid step fenders and I just didn't want to cut the lips.

N2Billet (Stella Mae) has a 265/40/22 on a 22x9 with 5" BS but he said he had to trim a little to get it to tuck.

lolife99 08-14-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdoubleU (Post 5538869)
Here are my sketches of my understanding since I am at work:

This really puts into perspective the difference of the BS #'s

Centerline assumes the middle of the wheel/mounting flange from inside bead to bead (not the additional 1" to consider for the flanges)

I think there is an error in this sketch.
I always add the extra inch of width into the calculation, because the backspace number is from the rim edge, not the tire bead.

So a 20x8 wheel with 4.5" backspace,... (from the rotor mounting surface to the inside dge of the wheel) will stick out toward the fender 4.5",... NOT 3.5".
You HAVE to include the actual wheel width when dealing with backspace numbers or the outer edge of the wheel will end up in a different spot than you plan.
I always add the extra 1" to my calculations.

Your notebook sketch,... all the numbers on the right should be 1" greater.

lolife99 08-14-2012 04:44 PM

The backspace will be what ever given number you decide.
All the rest of the width will move in the direction of the fender lip.
That's why you have to include the total width of the wheel.

RdoubleU 08-14-2012 04:55 PM

Understood guys...the more and more I play with the notebook sketches and review the info the more i understand it

I think I am going to need a trackwidth/wheelbase measurement to go from and compare to

Or a fenderlip to tire measurement to really be able to tell where I am actually sitting inside the front fender in relation to others trucks, such as Nates

Right now I can only compare inner clearance and wheel relation to the mounting flange

darkhorse970 08-14-2012 05:34 PM

Good info here guys...you've almost convinced me to search for a Fleetside bed for my '68!:lol:

CC69Rat 08-14-2012 07:09 PM

Naa.. steppers are cool too. Especially really low / bagged.
Posted via Mobile Device

502ms 08-14-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5539171)
Posted via Mobile Device

Have we come to a final decision on what works, or do we have to measure for sure?
I'm running 15x8, 4.25 backspacing.
I'd like to run a 10" wide rear wheel.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37794959_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30567990_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...35181716_n.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

darkhorse970 08-14-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5539171)
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I love the steppers but might need more width than the clearance will allow!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimbabwe 08-14-2012 10:41 PM

Cut those bedsides! Make the wheels you want fit. That's what I'm doing.

Bennett68C10 08-14-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 5539571)
Posted via Mobile Device

Just cut it up and tub it, then you will have all the clearance you need for some wide tires. It's only metal right :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

68Stepbed 08-15-2012 07:32 AM

Let me ask a question to add more confusion to all this. :lol: All you guys keep saying that a 20x10" wide wheel WON'T fit into a stock stepside. I just want to know why. I'm running a 17x9.5" wheel with room to spare. This is also with a 275/55 tire that baloons out. The "baloon" effect of a tire is less as the profile decreases, since this can also cause interference. I'm just not understanding why larger wheels require deeper backspacing to work. I always thought 8" was 8" and 10" was 10". Why does backspacing change with wheel diameter?

For example, here is a pic of my 68 with a 4.5/5.75 static drop, 17x8(4"bs), 255/50/17 tires up front, 17x9.5" (5.5"bs and 7/16" spacer), 275/55/17 tires out back. Technically, I should have went with 5" bs on the rear wheels to start with, but I was trying to save a buck. This is with a 72 rearend. I plan to run an early rear in the future, which would change the bs on the current wheel size to 4.25" The only interference I have currently is the tires rub on the inner bedside WITHOUT the spacers(due to wrong backspacing). With the 7/16" spacers, I can fit my "large" hand between the tire and inner bedside, and there's no more rubbing. I also have plenty of room between the outer edge of the tire and fender lip.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...8/DSCF0024.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...8/DSCF0025.jpg

I may switch to an 18" wheel combo in the furture when I change the rearend. I'll probably end up keeping the same bs on the front, and going the 4.25" bs on an 18x9.5 or 18x10" rear wheel. With a lower profile tire with less of a bulge, I should have plenty of room.

I also understand the backspacing differences required for "tucking" compared to being bolted on.

CC69Rat 08-15-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 5539571)
Posted via Mobile Device

I like them both so I just bought a fleetside to sit right beside my step :D

lolife99 08-15-2012 08:41 AM

68Stepbed,... I guess the difference is your ride height.
If you took the spring completely out of your truck and lowered it down,... Would your tires make contact with the fender lips front and rear?
I'm trying to make sure the tire is under the truck, so there is no contact with the fender when the suspension is compressed.
You are relying on your suspension and your tire height to keep this contact from happening.

I also like more backspace up front so the track width in front is the same or narrower that the rear.
This hides the ugly fact that these trucks have a wider front track width.

On my bagged stepside, getting a tire up inside those tiny rear step fenders is a challenge.
Up front, driving at such a low height also takes a little more bs to be able to turn inside the fenders instead of thru the wheelwell opening.

Your truck looks great!
I think if you tried to put 20's on it you would change your bs numbers a little.
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 08-15-2012 08:46 AM

Matt, I think your truck needs more than an 18 even. (just my opinion) that truck on air and 20/20 or 20/22 would be even more stunning than it is now. With the new LS, it would be the icing on the cake. I can do some Photoshop for you if you like. which wheel are you considering?

(can I hijack my own thread? :D )

68Stepbed 08-15-2012 02:43 PM

Thanks, guys but I'm just not a fan of bigger wheels. IMO, 20's just look too big in the front of these trucks, at least in most cases. I've seen a few that have just the right stance and wheel/tire combo to make it work. If I ever did anything bigger than 18's it would be an 18/20 combo, but I'm still not too sure about that. As for bags, it ain't happenin. I don't have anything against them or knocking anyone that has them. I just don't want to mess with it. I might eventually look into coilovers in the future(long) and maybe even convert to 4-link rear.

Keith, like I said before, I understand the needed requirements for "tucking", but I'm mainly referring to even static dropped trucks. As for the front wheels/tires, yes they may start rubbing if on bags. I would have to look at the rears to see if the outer edge of the tire would rub on the fender lip.

CC, you're more than welcome to do some PS work. I've been looking at either Intro Vistas or Raceline Burst Fives. I would also like to see how the Raceline Legacy Fives would look.

Bennett68C10 08-15-2012 02:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Stepbed (Post 5539934)
Let me ask a question to add more confusion to all this. :lol: All you guys keep saying that a 20x10" wide wheel WON'T fit into a stock stepside. I just want to know why. I'm running a 17x9.5" wheel with room to spare. This is also with a 275/55 tire that baloons out. The "baloon" effect of a tire is less as the profile decreases, since this can also cause interference. I'm just not understanding why larger wheels require deeper backspacing to work. I always thought 8" was 8" and 10" was 10". Why does backspacing change with wheel diameter?

For example, here is a pic of my 68 with a 4.5/5.75 static drop, 17x8(4"bs), 255/50/17 tires up front, 17x9.5" (5.5"bs and 7/16" spacer), 275/55/17 tires out back. Technically, I should have went with 5" bs on the rear wheels to start with, but I was trying to save a buck. This is with a 72 rearend. I plan to run an early rear in the future, which would change the bs on the current wheel size to 4.25" The only interference I have currently is the tires rub on the inner bedside WITHOUT the spacers(due to wrong backspacing). With the 7/16" spacers, I can fit my "large" hand between the tire and inner bedside, and there's no more rubbing. I also have plenty of room between the outer edge of the tire and fender lip.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...8/DSCF0024.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...8/DSCF0025.jpg

I may switch to an 18" wheel combo in the furture when I change the rearend. I'll probably end up keeping the same bs on the front, and going the 4.25" bs on an 18x9.5 or 18x10" rear wheel. With a lower profile tire with less of a bulge, I should have plenty of room.

I also understand the backspacing differences required for "tucking" compared to being bolted on.

Ok I'm going to jump in on this, Keith & Chad please don't yell at me:lol: Both of the trucks below are running 20x10's on the rear. The black one has 5.25" bs, 275/35/20 tires and with the later rear axle but did had to trim alot off of the fender lip to get the tires to tuck.

The Blue truck is running 5.5" BS with 275/35/20 tires and the early rear housing. I don't know if he had to trim anything from the fender lip. Both of these trucks are bagged but with only a mild c-notch. I also don't know how much room they have to the bedside. Obviously if you are bagging it on the ground with dropmembers like Keith is on Ginger a 20x10 probably won't fit, way to much tire to try to get up into the fenders layed out.

If running a static drop or even a mildly bagged stepper it can be done. You just can't go to wide on the tires. I'm guessing a 275 width would be about max.

CC69Rat 08-15-2012 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks freakin killer to me :metal:

But, I understand not wanting to bag. Your truck looks great like it is... just thinking / talking out loud.

CC69Rat 08-15-2012 02:48 PM

.. not sayin the 10's wouldn't work I just didn't want to cut the fender lips, and I (me, personally) like a little more sidewall. I wouldn't do 35s, .. again, just my opinion.

Bennett68C10 08-15-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5540479)
.. not sayin the 10's wouldn't work I just didn't want to cut the fender lips, and I (me, personally) like a little more sidewall. I wouldn't do 35s, .. again, just my opinion.

I know everybody has their own tastes, I was just pointing out that it can be done. In 68StepBed's case he should be able to run 18x10's with no problem as long as the backspacing is right.

CC69Rat 08-15-2012 03:02 PM

Did you ever decide on your wheels Keith? the 22x9 setup on the Stella truck has got to be one of the best looking options for the money. 5"BS 265/40/22

Bennett68C10 08-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5540494)
Did you ever decide on your wheels Keith? the 22x9 setup on the Stella truck has got to be one of the best looking options for the money. 5"BS 265/40/22

I don't know yet, everytime I think I have figured out what to do, I change my mind again. That is my problem I spend more time thinking and changing my mind then doing :lol: I love the way Stella looks but the rear tire might be a little too tall for me. It is almost 30.5" tall, I don't think it leaves anymore room in the top of the fenders if I went lower in the rear with a mild rear dropmember or something similar. I will have to ask N2Billet.

RdoubleU 08-15-2012 05:19 PM

Now you kids have me daydreaming of trying to stuff a 9.5" in the rear

But on a Tooling note here's what I have been looking at :
Rear
8” wheel actually measures 9” from bead to bead
• Backspace is measured from the very edge of the wheel – includes the lip
• And BS is BS, but it just determines where the wheel sits on the outside lip in relation to the fender (anything left over from the rear goes to the front side)

I measured with the Wheelrite Tool set on 8.5” w/ 4.5” BS
• The tool on this setting measures a outer width of approx 9” at the base and 8.75” at the top (since its tapered on the tire wire holding thing) Give or take an 1/16”
• So to maintain that same placement – it seems I need to stick with the 4.5” BS
• At this measurement I had roughly 1.5" of clearance on each side of the tool inside the fender

Issue I would have had if I bought and 8.5” wheel based off of setting the tool at 8.5" only=
• 4.5” BS on an Actual 8.5” wheel would measure 9.5” and I was not accounting for the .5” less clearance on the fender lip side using the tool since at that setting since it only measures about 9” instead of 9.5”
o So the wheel would have sat .5” closer to the fender lip and taken away that clearance I gave it

Also I watched the V8TV wheel measuring guide where they use a Percy Wheelrite tool, and after measuring with the tool and ordering the wheels they mention in the video that the rear clearance (BackSpace) is good but it looks like the front of the rim might be alittle close...aka the .5" the tool does not account for

The tool only adds additional width of .5” vs. the 1” total that you should consider

Thoughts?