The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Show us your SURVIVOR ENGINE pictures (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=549556)

Lou Boffa 03-09-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Show us your SURVIVOR ENGINE pictures

2 Attachment(s)
my sweet running 350.

ho70 03-09-2014 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
102K miles, just the valve covers and air cleaner are changed, and not for long

Steve Hafner 03-09-2014 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Boffa (Post 6565811)
my sweet running 350.

. . . .

I see someone else who needs an "8 350" valve cover sticker !!!

Your engine looks GREAT . . . the Air Conditioning looks like it is almost factory !!!

. . . .

Lou Boffa 03-09-2014 02:57 PM

Thanks Steve. Yes, did take some liberties on the decal. Are the right ones available?

Steve Hafner 03-09-2014 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Boffa (Post 6566054)
Thanks Steve. Yes, did take some liberties on the decal. Are the right ones available?

. . . .

NO !!! . . . but I'm still working on getting some made:

. . . .

Orange72ChevyC10 08-23-2014 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1972 sbc 350. 32k miles

Turbo1dr 08-23-2014 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the original air cleaner and I'll be taking the *jolly holley* off soon.

tommys72 08-23-2014 05:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

DeadheadNM 08-23-2014 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure this counts but I'll post with the following caveat: this is an early replacement SB 400 in my 72 K1500. As far as I can tell all the tiny little parts are there (spark plug heat shields, clamp for the power steering hoses, asphalt cloth insulation for temp sending wire, OEM battery cables, etc) so may be of some useful reference.

48richard 08-24-2014 07:30 PM

Interesting thread. I am trying to figure out what is the correct location for the oil fill for my 71 350 2WD, but in these pics there are some with it on the driver side valve cover to the rear, and some with it on the pass. side front.
Anyone know which is correct?

DeadheadNM 08-24-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48richard (Post 6814862)
Interesting thread. I am trying to figure out what is the correct location for the oil fill for my 71 350 2WD, but in these pics there are some with it on the driver side valve cover to the rear, and some with it on the pass. side front.

I believe pickups w A/C had the fill on the driver side as the compressor covers the RH fill...

48richard 08-24-2014 07:45 PM

That makes sense, although it's pretty tight in there between the air cleaner and brake booster.
Thanks

Steve Hafner 08-24-2014 07:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 48richard (Post 6814862)

. . . .

The picture I keep going back to is the one of the 70 C-10 with 80 miles on it.

It's oil fill is on the driver's side.

ALL of these engines with the original valve cover sticker on them that I've seen, have that sticker on the passenger side.

NONE of them have been on the driver's side where the oil fill is.

Neither of these had air conditioning from the factory.

. . . .

48richard 08-24-2014 07:52 PM

Thanks, Guys.
Is anyone reproducing the 8-350 label?

Steve Hafner 08-24-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48richard (Post 6814896)
Thanks, Guys.
Is anyone reproducing the 8-350 label?

No, I'm still looking into having some designed and made - maybe THIS winter if I can get all the details ironed out !!!

( with all the times I've talked about it on this forum, I would have thought someone would have beat me to it by now !!! )

leftybass209 08-30-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hafner (Post 6814902)
No, I'm still looking into having some designed and made - maybe THIS winter if I can get all the details ironed out !!!

( with all the times I've talked about it on this forum, I would have thought someone would have beat me to it by now !!! )

Have you done any research as to the font type used on these? I'm pretty sure this font is a one off thing. I've sat down with Photoshop and a huge database of type font and I have similar fonts, but not exact for this type. That is the hardest part as the layering of rectangles is a 5 min job.

On another note- this thread is helping me sort out what I'd like to keep original, and what I'd like to change. Good resource!

Steve Hafner 08-30-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftybass209 (Post 6823096)
Have you done any research as to the font type used on these? I'm pretty sure this font is a one off thing. I've sat down with Photoshop and a huge database of type font and I have similar fonts, but not exact for this type. That is the hardest part as the layering of rectangles is a 5 min job.

On another note- this thread is helping me sort out what I'd like to keep original, and what I'd like to change. Good resource!

. . . .

The person I've talked to at the sign shop was going to use her CAD system to design it and make them from that.

Spartan 08-31-2014 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here's a 69 350 im about to pull before i scrap the gmc. its got a rod knock so i figure ill tear into it and see what the hip hap is. this was a low mile engine but due to teen abuse it aged faster than some. I bought the truck from the kid for the maroon interior parts and glass. sorry about the sideways pics.

davepl 08-31-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hafner (Post 6814892)
. . . .

NONE of them have been on the driver's side where the oil fill is.

Neither of these had air conditioning from the factory.

. . . .

My '70 is a big block but the remains of the ancient emblem were indeed also on the passenger side. And that's with AC, so it had the brackets on top too.

davepl 08-31-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bollybib (Post 5677900)
Some great reference pics in here.

There are indeed. But folks please keep it to reasonably original survivor motors. There are a lot of open air cleaners, chrome covers, cross-flag air cleaners and Invader decals. I think the intent here was to find originals so people wanting to restore to stock have some reference to work from.

Spartan 08-31-2014 05:03 PM

yeah...sorry for the open air cleaner and nonstock wires. Its not a crate and "survived" with the truck for the most part. Disregard my pics as survivor engine and see it as a stock block. cheers
nim

davepl 08-31-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 6824776)
yeah...sorry for the open air cleaner and nonstock wires. Its not a crate and "survived" with the truck for the most part. Disregard my pics as survivor engine and see it as a stock block. cheers
nim

Sorry, wasn't intentionally bugging anyone specific. The rest of your setup is still handy to see.

davepl 08-31-2014 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'll throw in mine for what they're worth. In the stock photo there are a couple of things I know not to be correct. The rubber fuel line is wrong, there's a cruise control sticker on the air cleaner that shouldn't be there, and various clamps and hoses and wires have been monkeyed with. But there aren't any "upgrades".

The second pic is my current version of the survivor pic. Yeah, I too have the placeholder wrong decal. And wrong clamps and unpainted stainless bolts and a number of incorrect items. I went for stock, but not NCRS level of correctness. The condenser should be black, that sort of thing. I see routing differences too - I've never compared the two photos until right now, which has proven handy as I see a couple of easy fixes (PCV, AC harness, etc). Ignore the blue tape on the AC lines, that's just me keeping track of which o-rings I've replaced.

The third pic is just a little further out to show what I think are the correct batteries for a dual battery setup if you had the HD option on the main battery, giving you a T62 cranking and R59 camper battery. These are AGM reproductions (not just covers).

Already Gone 08-31-2014 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1969 C10 with the original unmolested 396 and leaking valve covers. I'm picking this truck up in a week or so.

cabman420 08-31-2014 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres mine