The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   First Time Swapper (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=570247)

thotfulspot 03-20-2013 10:07 PM

Re: First Time Swapper

It's great to learn how to tune but do your research first and have someone experienced check you first couple tunes. I've seen some ugly results from people doing their own tunes on BMWs. They are more difficult since they are tuned pretty strong from the factory. A lot tougher than the LS motors, but when people start doing their own tunes for forced induction and end up with holes in pistons. Not trying to talk you out of it because it's nice to be able to do it on your own. An hour on a dyno with an experienced tuner will give you the biggest gain. You can make little tweaks after that.

I've got the BMW software and all I use it for is to change factory settings for windows and stuff like that. I have a local expert that does everything else for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 03-21-2013 12:55 AM

I realize it is a large undertaking, but computer programming in general is second nature to me so I'm not that intimidated by the tuning itself. I have a friend that runs a company called SpeedCircuit that does parts and tunes for Mitsubishi Evo's so I'm going to talk to him about it. I'm wondering if he would be willing to let me buy the program myself so I can still mess with it whenever I want, but I'll pay him the shop hours for the initial tune and any problems I may have for him later down the road.

ls1nova, I've checked out your ls1tech build thread a ton. Very useful. THANK YOU!

No need to worry about me burning out. This is my DD and while it's down I'll have to drive my brothers honda civic. There is no better motivation than that. Good to know about the 4l80 wiring. Didn't realize they were different. TBSS manifolds may be where I'm heading right now unless I can find a set of 4th gen headers for around the same price. Trimming the frame or mounts a bit so they fit won't bother me. As for the harness, There's a complete one on CL I'm looking at, but I always like to have a backup plan so it's nice to know I can grab the ends from the junkyard if I get desperate. I looked into the engine stands a bit as well. Someone on here used those style stands with the dirty dingo slider mounts. Looks a lot easier, but for that price I can't do it. The stands and mounts though will be a breeze. There are plenty of those trucks in my local junkyard. I'll definitely need a new radiator, and overflow bottle for that matter haha and I'm hoping I can trim those fans to fit.

thotfulspot 03-21-2013 01:11 AM

Use your friend as much as possible. At least at the beginning. Doing a tune is not typical development. I wrote code for 20 years and tuning is making adjustments to the various sensors. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. It's actually a lot of fun seeing what happens when you make changes. A lot of people just jump into it without realizing what it involves. I would have someone do a baseline with a dyno. Play to your hearts content and after you are done put it on the dyno to see what the difference is.

There are a couple people on CL in Chicago that modify and build harnesses for a couple hundred. One of them is on LS1TECH. Might be worth checking out. The one person says he can build a harness that all you need is the start connection.
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 04-22-2013 07:26 AM

Haven't been on in a while but I did pick up a 4l80 from a 95 van. Also got the engine torn down but not cleaned yet. Well torn down as far as I want to go. Heads are off but the crank is staying in. Pics coming soon
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 04-23-2013 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6026931)
Haven't been on in a while but I did pick up a 4l80 from a 95 van. Also got the engine torn down but not cleaned yet. Well torn down as far as I want to go. Heads are off but the crank is staying in. Pics coming soon
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet! Are you changing the cam while you have it tore down? This is what I did to my 2013 L99 motor.....:D

Billett 04-30-2013 09:29 PM

No, no cam. Gaskets are as far as I'm going.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...51660105_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...44528817_n.jpg

These aren't the best, but I'm going to do a serious post on my build thread when I get a chance this weekend. Right now it's just a matter of what can I save on. Gonna keep my current radiator since it still works and just run the steam vent to the water pump. I was looking into motor mounts for a few days before I realized that my current engine is an '87 sbc :dohh: so all I'll need is an adapter plate. I'm just going to cut one of those myself. Bought all the gaskets, and I'm trying to decide on fuel lines right now. I'm leaning towards bending some hardlines with a few short teflon/rubber sections in between. Gonna buy the wix filter, but my engine has the built in regulator on the rail.

Also, just a quick teaser. I had been planning on shaving the truck intake and cleaning up the hoses and wiring, but now I won't have to :D my brother brought me home a sweet TBSS engine cover. Plan is to paint it white with red stripes and I took the SS sticker off and I'm going to paint the Texaco logo in the center. Should look sweet with the rest of the truck.

Wasted Income 05-01-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6044476)
Gonna buy the wix filter, but my engine has the built in regulator on the rail.

I would put a "normal" fuel filter in line, and use the truck rails with the regulator...not the corvette setup that everybody seems to use. It's a little more work to run the return line, but worth the work if you ever plan on really turning up the wick on it.

Billett 06-02-2013 08:37 PM

Another quick question. I was talking to my brother and we're thinking that I should be able to use this PS pump as long as I get an external reservoir, otherwise I'd need a new pump. Anyone use one of these before?
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4ab148c7.jpg

Also, here's what she looks like right now! I'll be a little over budget at about $4k instead of 3 like I really wanted, but the places I put in a bit of extra money make me feel confident about the reliability of this engine. I'll probably start tearing out the 350 this week.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...ps119041f6.jpg

truckdude239 06-02-2013 09:02 PM

i used the stock pump that came with my ls 4.8 just changed the fitting in the back of it to use the 71 lines

Bennett68C10 06-02-2013 11:01 PM

Motor looks great, nice job
Posted via Mobile Device

ls1nova71 06-03-2013 12:45 AM

You have a van PS pump, you just need a reservoir and you'll be good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 06-03-2013 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to use a Jack Daniels bottle as a coolant overflow, so I suppose I can work something else out for a PS reservoir. I also need to find something cool to put the PCM in... Few more questions I thought of.*

1) I need to take a look at my wiring harness to figure out which o2 sensors I need, but do the MAF sensors have different plugs? I was looking up part numbers for the lq4 maf and apparently there is an old and new version. Anyone know what the difference is? The old one is a lot cheaper. A list of o2 and MAF part numbers or at least a link would be super as well. The maf I looked into is listed as*AF10043.

2) I've decided that I have enough on my plate right now besides learning to tune. I would like to learn in the future but now isn't the time. I'm between TexasSpeed, BlackBear, and wait4me mail order tunes. I'm leaning towards wait4me, but every time I remember to look on their site I only have my phone on me, and the site requires flash... What I'm wondering is, when these places tune the PCM are they for a specific octane rating or will the pcm realize you filled up with a different octane and adjust accordingly? I know some tuners do that I just wasn't sure about these specifically.

3) I know this has been asked a million times before, but I can't seem to find my calipers at home, and I don't have the time atm moment to look it up, so if any of you know off the top of your head I would appreciate it. What sizes are the inlets to the LS water pumps, and the inlets to the stock radiator? If I recall the top of the LS matches the bottom of the radiator, but I can't remember if they are 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" and I think the other is only 1/4" larger but I can't remember exactly.*
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 06-05-2013 10:36 AM

Solved 2 and 3 bit any help with the maf?
Posted via Mobile Device

ls1nova71 06-05-2013 11:19 AM

The AF10043 MAF will work on 99 to at least 06. The newer GenIV engines are different. Vans use a smaller MAF, but the plug is the same as a truck so the are a plug in and go deal.

Billett 06-05-2013 12:18 PM

Awesome thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 06-07-2013 12:27 PM

Hit another snag. I have most of the original van harness and when I bought the trans I was given a harness with that as well. The engine harness has the blue/green or blue/red, (can't remember which atm), plugs on it for the pcm, but I don't have the one larger plug for the other row of the pcm. Can this plug be purchased separately? It would be cheaper to re-pin it than to buy an uncut harness. If not I guess I'll pony up for a custom drop in from painless or somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

solidaxel 06-10-2013 01:38 PM

Engine looks great................. would you detail mine for me !!!!

Billett 06-11-2013 07:37 AM

Thanks but it really looks much worse in person. I was too impatient to paint the block and heads. I might not do the trans either. I did clean the hell out of it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

thotfulspot 06-11-2013 02:12 PM

What did you paint the valve covers with? It almost looks like a candy paint.
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 06-13-2013 08:03 AM

For those that need it here is where you can find the pcm connectors as well as terminals for the pins.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=286

Valve covers were painted with duplicolor metalcast. I'll get some pics up around lunch time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Billett 06-24-2013 12:11 PM

Sorry about the valve cover pics. Been busy with work and the swap. Did get the old 350 out. Working on the trans cross member so I can pull the np435 out and then I'll start putting it all back together. Fuel lines look like the next item in line
Posted via Mobile Device

Blackpony 06-24-2013 12:52 PM

What headers are those? I have '10 camaro manifolds right now and looking to do a set of headers soon. those look pretty good!

Also not sure what route you went, but on the adapter plates, I have a set that i am selling. they have been powdercoated a wrinkle black color. Ill let them go for $30 shipped if you are interested...

Billett 06-24-2013 06:03 PM

Headers are Doug thorleys, 1-7/8" primaries. Adapter plates were from eBay with prothane mounts.

Also, thanks for the offer, but only subscribed members can sell parts on the site. Just a heads up. Your post may or may not be edited by a mod.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blackpony 06-25-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6140560)
Headers are Doug thorleys, 1-7/8" primaries. Adapter plates were from eBay with prothane mounts.

Also, thanks for the offer, but only subscribed members can sell parts on the site. Just a heads up. Your post may or may not be edited by a mod.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh really? i dont venture around the site much.. haha good luck with the build! I am going to have to check out those headers!

Billett 06-28-2013 12:51 PM

$200 for a black bear mail in or $500 for a dyno tune from Race Proven. Thoughts? $300 is a lot. Will I get that much more drivability, power, etc out of the dyno over a mail in?
Posted via Mobile Device