The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's your best theft deterrent ??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=590462)

Andy4639 08-03-2013 07:01 PM

Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

I do drive mine a lot. I use the hidden switches when I park it over night in a motel are other parking spot other than in my garage. I drove it to Texas for the power tour and all of the motels I stayed had a lot nicer vehicles than mine but I stil used them just in case someones vehicle was harder to get than mine.:lol:

In the end what matters to me is i feel ok driving it anywhere but I do find myself looking at where I park it if at all possible in a well lite area and try to park so i can see it at all times.
What worries me more than someone taking it is someone who has no insurance hitting it.
;):chevy:

gferris5 08-04-2013 01:19 PM

I sit in the back of my truck in my rocking chair and shoot anyone who looks at me, my wife, or my truck.

No but seriously, apart from thinking of losing my truck, there is something kind of "fun" about thinking of anti-theft measures for the sake of thinking of how to screw over the scum that steal cars. I have a remote battery cut off, battery in a locked box in the bed, and a removable fuse for the electric fuel pump.

The other important thing is to keep nothing of value in the truck; I think you're more likely to have a smash and grab then an actual car thief.

treveiger 08-05-2013 01:33 AM

I have a locomotive horn in my truck. I soon will be hooking it upto the ignition switch so when you start it you have to disengage the switch or the horn will kick in. I figure they'd s**t their pants once it blew and run.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scott>72-GMC 08-05-2013 03:15 AM

Mine doesn't run makes it a little harder to steal. I suppose it could still be done if they really wanted it
Posted via Mobile Device

jjzepplin 08-05-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treveiger (Post 6205398)
I have a locomotive horn in my truck. I soon will be hooking it upto the ignition switch so when you start it you have to disengage the switch or the horn will kick in. I figure they'd s**t their pants once it blew and run.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice Idea! Think I'll do this too. Just hope I don't forget about it!

jjzepplin 08-05-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC (Post 6205421)
Mine doesn't run makes it a little harder to steal. I suppose it could still be done if they really wanted it
Posted via Mobile Device

I was building a truck for my buddy and was almost done. The parking dept came by and red tagged it to be moved or towed as it was one foot into the sidewalk. (It was a Heavy Industrial area of Oakland California) Well we moved it up way further into the driveway about a half car length and removed the suck butt super sticky sticker very carefully from the new windshield. While he was at work the next day someone stole the truck. It had to be towed as it did not run yet. So he called the cops and they explained that the county had towed the vehicle. So he went to go get it that night and fight about it later. Got to the impound yard and it had been stripped. No engine or trans wheels were swapped brakes were gone and most of the interior. Go figure. We had build pics and even one of where it was parked. So he sued them and won but it was nowhere near what he had in it. We bet some cop has a running custom built engine in his 66 now. It was my first port and polish job and I never got to hear it run. :waah:

Scott>72-GMC 08-05-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 6205445)
I was building a truck for my buddy and was almost done. The parking dept came by and red tagged it to be moved or towed as it was one foot into the sidewalk. (It was a Heavy Industrial area of Oakland California) Well we moved it up way further into the driveway about a half car length and removed the suck butt super sticky sticker very carefully from the new windshield. While he was at work the next day someone stole the truck. It had to be towed as it did not run yet. So he called the cops and they explained that the county had towed the vehicle. So he went to go get it that night and fight about it later. Got to the impound yard and it had been stripped. No engine or trans wheels were swapped brakes were gone and most of the interior. Go figure. We had build pics and even one of where it was parked. So he sued them and won but it was nowhere near what he had in it. We bet some cop has a running custom built engine in his 66 now. It was my first port and polish job and I never got to hear it run. :waah:

Oh wow. In my town of 6-7 hundred I don't think that will happen but I'm sorry to hear that. That sux
Posted via Mobile Device

Ironangel 08-05-2013 08:11 AM

"Best deterrent?" Thats easy... ;) https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n..._6646266_n.jpg

treveiger 08-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 6205442)
Nice Idea! Think I'll do this too. Just hope I don't forget about it!

Haha ya I'm a little worried about that too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke's Garage 08-05-2013 02:41 PM

I'll throw in here as well. On mine, I've got the MegaSquirt controller mounted on the inside of the glove box lid with quick disconnects, so I can just unplug and take the controller with me. No fuel, no ignition.

But for a stock configuration, I've always liked grounding the coil with a hidden switch.. That way even if they get under the hood and jump the coil wire to the battery and short the solenoid, it still won't start.

I remember my dad always had aircraft cable and padlocks locking the hoods on his drivers. He had picked that up from parking on base in the Air Force, and working at Lockheed. Unfortunately it required him to have a huge key ring for all the cars and locks so he looked like a high school janitor.

MikeyMan 08-05-2013 05:57 PM

Chain & lock down the hood is a great deterrent. Helps prevent vandalism too.

Many years ago, me and several other tradesmen are working at a school in a sketchy neighborhood. My 70 GMC and a half dozen newer pickup trucks inside a fenced lot. Come out after coffee break and notice the hood partially raised on my GMC. Local thug in the process of snatching my battery. He ran away empty handed, lucky I was holding a lunch box and not my hammer!
That day after work, hood got a chain & padlock.

beetle1960 08-31-2013 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The little guy on the left...viscous, no ones getting any where near my truck... for those of you who may remember the Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holly Grail..

dlrobert95 09-05-2013 04:41 PM

Not the best theft deterrent, but I wired a kill switch in with my HEI.

Fitz 09-06-2013 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidfre21 (Post 6194237)
Springfield 1911. Old school like the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

It's Colt, Sir not Springfield but Springfield Armory does make several using the original Colt patent.

'68 Newtricks 04-19-2015 03:57 PM

I don't recommend leaving your gun on the seat, it's not the best deterrent and probably quite the opposite. So unless it's a motion sensor turret, it wont help

67chevemall 04-20-2015 01:06 PM

I used air plane wire with loops on each end. Fed it through the hood then down past the rad and pad locked it to the sway bar mounts. Only opens enough to set the alarm a blazing.

DarkFlounder 04-20-2015 03:27 PM

My neighbors probably consider my '72 an eyesore, and it's more likely to be towed than to be stolen. Attitudes will probably change when the body work progresses (working on the replacement bed now).

hugger6933 04-20-2015 03:32 PM

I have most of my trucks all scattered out in and around my shop, that don't mean it won't get stolen but it just means they are gonna have to work at getting that stuff and that is what they are trying to avoid, WORK

Bladeboy1998 04-20-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidfre21 (Post 6194237)
Springfield 1911. Old school like the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't realize we has sp many pro gun guys here! I like it! :metal:
mine has to be the cheap rock island 1911, of it gets stolen, it is not as bad as say a lesson baer or the like.

There was a thread similar to this not too long ago, I got an idea for somebody for a kill switch where the 12v plug is, just pull it out and the truck won't start.

Bladeboy1998 04-20-2015 03:50 PM

I didn't realize this thread was this old, lol

1972RedNeck 04-22-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 (Post 7141025)
mine has to be the cheap rock island 1911, of it gets stolen, it is not as bad as say a lesson baer or the like.

A 1911 just isn't quite big enough. I prefer a .44 magnum - in a pinch, a .357 will suffice.

Bladeboy1998 04-22-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck (Post 7144431)
A 1911 just isn't quite big enough. I prefer a .44 magnum - in a pinch, a .357 will suffice.

I like the way you think! Lol what about a 1911 in 10mm? :metal:

52napco 04-22-2015 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My level 4 K9 Shepherd . Bought him at 18 months from a trainer in upstate NY
BEST MONEY IVE EVER SPENT!!

68shortwide 04-23-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 (Post 7144467)
I like the way you think! Lol what about a 1911 in 10mm? :metal:

I mean if we're talking size why not an 870 super shorty with slugs? Lol anyway, good ideas here.

In The Ten Ring 04-23-2015 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 (Post 7141025)

There was a thread similar to this not too long ago, I got an idea for somebody for a kill switch where the 12v plug is, just pull it out and the truck won't start.

Here's my .45 that I will carry again once I lose some more weight and the belt has more slack for the holster.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pse42d8d77.jpg

Speaking guns: I have carried concealed and openly for 19 years so far. If you see me out, chances are, I have one or two lethal tools on me along with at least one non-lethal option.