The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   69, no wait, 71 C10 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=657946)

flipper58 05-29-2020 12:43 PM

Re: 69, no wait, 71 C10 Project

2 Attachment(s)
Real close now. Behind the seat speakers are in and all the wiring is just about done under the hood and behind the instrument panel. A few more connections and it will be time to fire it up. I picked up an OTC preluber and learned that the access to the oil pump galley plug is blocked by the Dirty Dingo sliding engine mount. I'll have to jack up the engine a bit to access and remove the plug to prime the engine. I also had a chance to do a side-by-side of my project truck next to its nearly 50 years later descendant. Kinda neat.
Phil

MDPotter 05-29-2020 01:45 PM

Trucks have gotten so big! Our 67-72 trucks are about the same size as today's compact trucks.

TA_C10 06-01-2020 11:51 AM

Looking good. Couple of questions. I have the same rear speaker mounts, did you have to modify them at all to make them fit? And tell me about your radio/speaker/sub setup if you don't mind. Would like to hear the specs on all your stuff including radio. I'm in the middle of planning all the components for my sound system.

flipper58 06-01-2020 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8749983)
Looking good. Couple of questions. I have the same rear speaker mounts, did you have to modify them at all to make them fit? And tell me about your radio/speaker/sub setup if you don't mind. Would like to hear the specs on all your stuff including radio. I'm in the middle of planning all the components for my sound system.

Hey TA, thanks. The panels for the rear speakers actually fit pretty well. No mods needed. Slight tweak bend to snug up the tabs at top and bottom, but not much. I would agree with Brothers Truck's video that taping up the area near the installation is a good plan to keep from scratching up the paint while fitting them. I also lined the back of the panels with Dynamat to firm them up a bit. The tuner/radio is RetroSound. I'll track down and update on the kick panel speakers, rear speakers and sub stuff in a bit.
Phil

Sub and speaker pics are here now. I got the Infinity kick panel speakers some years ago and have lost all info on them. And the Sony speakers were a gift from my brother. I believe they are XS series, but as with the fronts, I don't have wattage, etc. Not much help. Sorry. The sub pic shows the part number, etc. My brother recommended that one and I have to say the system sounds great. Not a pro on sound, but it meets my standards.

flipper58 09-08-2020 10:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
On the road, again. After nearly 6 years of driving, tweaking and overhauling this thing from top to bottom, I have it fully on the road and drive-able. As usual, I am working on "warranty" fixes (AC compressor squeal, trans cooler minor leak, squeaks, rattles, etc.), but overall the truck is driving and riding great. I took it on a long road trip of about 260 miles round trip and it did great. And for the last five years, I have been driving by this guy's garage and thinking that my first road trip would include photos of my truck in front of the American flag on the side of the garage. I stopped and did that last Friday. I met the owner who was there. He recently bought the property and told me that a vet painted the flag on the building. He promised the vet that as long as he owned the building, that flag would still be there. Lucky for me. The owner is also a car guy and we shared some old man car stories while I was taking the photos. Great way to start the road trip history of my truck.
Phil

1971Stepside 09-08-2020 11:21 AM

Congrats!! Truck looks amazing. You should be very proud of that. Great photos with the flag...

flipper58 09-08-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8804860)
Congrats!! Truck looks amazing. You should be very proud of that. Great photos with the flag...

Thanks very much. The years of work just seem to pay off so much on a ride like last weekend.

TA_C10 09-09-2020 11:58 AM

Man that's awesome. I am so close to getting my long bed on the road I can taste it... Truck looks great man. :thumbs:

:chevy:

flipper58 09-10-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8805445)
Man that's awesome. I am so close to getting my long bed on the road I can taste it... Truck looks great man. :thumbs:

:chevy:

Thanks much TA. It is awesome and just so damn fun to drive.