The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568482)

boynton 07-06-2019 04:39 PM

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

I might know someone who has a few parts laying around if you need any! Nice buckets and console.

rgunlock 07-06-2019 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8554093)
good looking "new toy" ya got..!!!

Thanks guys! Ok, actually the '78 is the "toy", this is the "work truck" :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 8554113)
I might know someone who has a few parts laying around if you need any! Nice buckets and console.

Yea, I don't know that much about the 67-72, but I would assume if this truck came with buckets and console it would be in the SPID. Regardless, they look great and to my untrained eye original so I think I will run with them. I also got lots of extra parts, missing mouldings and emblems. Not sure what other parts I might need. This one is pretty complete I think, but I know where you are if I find I am missing something :lol:

Showed my wife some pictures of the medium bronze and white GMCs and her eyes lit up and she's like "ooh, I would love to have it back in that color!". So I dunno. The '59 might be put further on the backburner and this one might be more of a restoration than I'd planned.

Its all good. Main thing is to keep me active in my weekend projects. To be honest its been so long since I got all the '59 shells and I've had so much time to think on it, follow builds, etc. that I'm not even sure at this point what I want to do with it. I've only got sheet metal (lots of it!), one a big window cab with a lot of rust and one presumably ok original frame. Wide open canvas and I have no plan! So I guess its ok to wait its turn a while longer.

7dee2 07-07-2019 08:56 PM

Nice project Rick, I'll tell you I'm still working the heck out of Blue our C30. That long bed could haul lots of stuff! ;). 9k wow, you are winning the mileage award, just hit 1400 on Ray mainly just using it to show off and pull the car trailer around.

MTCK 07-07-2019 09:16 PM

Sweet GMC! Glad you’re driving the heck out of your half ton.

rgunlock 07-08-2019 10:46 AM

Thanks guys. After driving the new one a bit, it has really made me appreciate how well I have the '78 running and handling, lack of unexplained noises every time you turn around, etc. I'm able to drive the '78 every day because I really don't mind driving it. The "new" 71 has a ways to go before I can make that claim about it, but it will get there.

TKCR 07-08-2019 11:02 AM

Cool Rick, I love the new “TOY”!! I’ll be following along on this one. Are you making another Build Thread for this one?

rgunlock 07-08-2019 11:19 AM

Thanks TKCR! I haven't totally made my mind up whether or not I am ready to start a "build" on the '71, let alone a build thread. My goal is to go through it mechanically which wouldn't be too exciting. I'll keep track and take pictures so that if it turns into a build, which knowing myself it likely will, I can start a thread.

Right now, it runs well and the transmission was recently rebuilt so it is shifting well. The brakes were redone recently, but something isn't right. Takes too much pedal pressure to get it stopped. Its the same setup as my '78 so I know how it should feel. Lots of strange noises, clunking sounds, etc. during certain maneuvers. Cab has the filler neck for an in-cab tank, but it isn't there. Bed is set up for dual saddle tanks, but they aren't there. Tank is in the rear with an in-bed filler you can barely reach and the fuel gauge doesn't work. That will have to be one of my first areas to address. Steering is pretty loose and the bottom of the engine is covered with half-formed drops of oil. Plenty to keep me busy for several months of weekends! Got a dresser/changing table to complete for my first grandchild (expected in Sept.) first though before I start tackling all this.

rgunlock 08-11-2019 08:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Decided to bite the bullet and make some shop upgrades before I start another truck project. Starting with insulation since my shop has been bare stud the 11 years I've worked in it. Last pic is upstairs in the storage area looking at the 2x6 rafters.

It already feels a little cooler inside relative to the outside temp even without AC. Biggest difference though is that you don't climb through a 20 degree increase in temp as you walk up to the attic. Sure have a lot of work to do before the shop is usable again though!

TKCR 08-11-2019 09:54 AM

That will be sooo nice, when it’s completed!

MTCK 08-11-2019 12:05 PM

That’s time well spent right there. Looks great.

mjensen 08-13-2019 10:59 AM

Awesome shop upgrade! :D

rgunlock 08-13-2019 01:07 PM

Thanks ya'll! I'm planning to cover the walls with a very light colored wall paneling that is fairly inexpensive and much easier for me to handle than trying to do sheetrock. My wife picked up enough of it yesterday that I can start putting it up in locations where I need to move heavy and/or bulky stuff back up against the wall. Not sure yet what I will do for the ceiling.

Not that I am looking forward to moving all my stuff and reorganizing it the heat we've had, but I am so motivated to get it done so I can use my shop again and actually be able to find stuff!

Greenlee 08-13-2019 11:05 PM

My goodness Rick! You picked the hottest days of the year to work on the shop! :lol:

Nice looking ‘71!!! :metal: I’m glad the ‘78 is treating you well.

rgunlock 09-15-2019 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8574238)
That will be sooo nice, when it’s completed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 8574332)
That’s time well spent right there. Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 8575467)
Awesome shop upgrade! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 8575902)
My goodness Rick! You picked the hottest days of the year to work on the shop! :lol:

Nice looking ‘71!!! :metal: I’m glad the ‘78 is treating you well.

Thanks everyone! I did pay someone else to spray in the insulation, but have been spending my weekends since then putting up paneling on the walls. And yes, its been dang hot every one of those weekends. Need to do the research on the AC and get a move on that.

Thursday, I picked up yet another project. My daughter presented us with our first grandchild:metal: This is Micah, a grandson that was 8 pounds, 4 ounces and 21 inches long. Both he and my daughter are doing fine.

TKCR 09-15-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8593842)
Thanks everyone! I did pay someone else to spray in the insulation, but have been spending my weekends since then putting up paneling on the walls. And yes, its been dang hot every one of those weekends. Need to do the research on the AC and get a move on that.

Thursday, I picked up yet another project. My daughter presented us with our first grandchild:metal: This is Micah, a grandson that was 8 pounds, 4 ounces and 21 inches long. Both he and my daughter are doing fine.

Congratulations on the your first grandson!:metal:

7dee2 10-08-2019 11:14 AM

Good for you Grandpa! :two:

Some AC should be way nice out there, I've got to figure something out as well currently leaning towards some kind of a porta-cool deal. Installed some big ceiling fans in the new garage to move air but nothing to cool it yet.

rgunlock 10-08-2019 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Brett. We're getting closer to cooler weather here at this point, so I think I'm just going to focus on finishing the walls and trim, then get some kind of ceiling in. I'll deal with AC in the spring.

Good luck with your new house or garage (I wasn't clear which it was). I'm anxiously waiting for you to kick the Camaro build into gear. I'm living vicariously through you on that one as 1st gen Camaro's hold a special place in my heart. Mine, in 1980. She wrecked it, but I've kept her in spite of that :lol: And yes, that shaving cream left a mark - actually a whole lot of them!

7dee2 10-13-2019 09:14 AM

Ha, it's a new garage with an attached house in my eyes. It’s been tough to put the Camaro project on the back burner but getting the new place and moving my junk pile twice has been a hand full.

swamp rat 10-14-2019 02:07 PM

I missed a couple posts, congratulations on the grandson!

Greenlee 10-14-2019 11:36 PM

Congrats on the new grand baby! *****in Camaro!! :metal:

rgunlock 10-15-2019 10:21 AM

Thanks guys! Now I have to plan more trips to Dallas to see him.

cmabolt 11-15-2019 03:48 PM

Hey Rick! Congratson your grandson. Have a good holiday season and happy new year.

Chris

rgunlock 11-15-2019 08:23 PM

Hi Chris, long time hearing from you. Hope you're doing well. Thanks, and I hope you and your family also have a great holiday season!

rgunlock 11-17-2019 07:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been working on the walls and trim most weekends since August when I got the insulation. SO tired of paneling and trim! Ran short about 3 pieces of the paneling to finish. We've already cleaned out the 3 closest Lowes. Next is the ceiling. Not looking forward to that. I am happy how its turning out though. Turns out the trim is as big a project as the paneling was. Don't mind the mess. I'll eventually get that straightened out.

TKCR 11-17-2019 08:04 PM

Wow, that looks nice! Good job :metal: