The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Vintage 4wd Pictures:Other Makes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=316751)

special-K 08-31-2021 08:38 PM

Re: Vintage 4wd Pictures:Other Makes

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8961407)

no mark, not until now. Thanks for pointing it out. It having a 283 is something else. Serious cool factor. I'd never do it because I think old Mopar flatheads are cool, but only in what they came in

Willowrun 09-05-2021 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a couple of Dodge SWB W150’s. I never really noticed these when they were new but they’ve grown on me that last 5 years or so. Had this one shipped here in 2019 and haven’t done anything to it until the last couple of months when I had a buddy do his best to buff the tired paint and I put some new tires on it. It’s a 1989 and has a fuel injected 360, SM465 (I think...has a creeper gear so assuming) manual trans. It’s not perfect by any stretch but people seem to like it since I’ve had it out a couple days now.

Speedo doesn’t work, the suspension is stiff and bouncy at the same time so gonna try shocks first, and I think I need to toe it in a little. Other than that not much to do other than cosmetic which always seems to come last although the LED headlights are getting swapped ASAP.

Now that I’ve driven two of them I can say Dodges of this era ride rougher that similar vintage GM leaf sprung trucks. May need some custom springs if shocks don’t smooth it out.

72c20customcamper 10-13-2021 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Followed this Bronco last Saturday .

HO455 10-18-2021 03:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A rare vintage and extremely capable 4x4. Not mine! My neighbors hate me enough without that parked out front. :lol:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1943-white-m2a1/

This truck was built by the White Motor Company in 1943 as an M2 half-track and was converted to M2A1 specification by the US Army Ordnance Department during World War II. It is finished in olive drab over tan canvas upholstery, and power is sent to both axles via a 386ci White 160AX gasoline inline-six paired with a non-synchronized four-speed manual transmission and a dual-range transfer case. Features include folding window armor, a machine gun mount, and troop seating for 10. This M2A1 was acquired by the owning dealer in 2021 and is now offered by the seller on their behalf in Los Angeles, California, with an ammo box and a California title listing it as a 1944 White.

special-K 10-20-2021 05:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I think your neighbors would rather "see" that sitting at your house than "hear" it going down the road :lol:. Cool truck. When I was a kid those were my favorite military vehicles. Too cool

Sorry for the crappy pictures. A local guy is into the Oshkosh trucks pretty deep. There's nowhere to pull over so I grabbed a few shots from the road

HO455 10-20-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8986023)
I think your neighbors would rather "see" that sitting at your house than "hear" it going down the road :lol:. Cool truck. When I was a kid those were my favorite military vehicles. Too cool

Sorry for the crappy pictures. A local guy is into the Oshkosh trucks pretty deep. There's nowhere to pull over so I grabbed a few shots from the road

As kids we had a WWII style 6X6 in the backyard to play on and once we found a half-track outside of town that had been converted to a boom truck. One day we clmbed the fence to get a better look. As we were checking it out a woman came out ot the house and yelled at us to "GET". She then turned her dog loose. With an 1/8 mile head start we beat the dog to the fence line. Needless to say we never went back. :lol:

Probably not very likely but those could be Idaho department of transportation trucks. They used to paint all their vehicles yellow with black hoods. I even remember seeing their dozers and road graders (Hood behind the cab :lol:) painted that way.

special-K 10-24-2021 08:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
You were gettin' alright!

I went by that place with the Oshkosh trucks and all that is totally gone. All cleaned up but for a forklift in front of the doors. It was a fabrication shop, I think construction related, and they sold snow plows and flatbeds. I never saw a realtor sign. Maybe they moved or I guess they went out

Heavy stuff

HO455 10-24-2021 11:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I came across this one and with the half-track and 6x6's mentioned earlier it seemed appropriate. This is not my Jeep.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...390914671.html

Selling a icon in the nw jeep world.
This custom 6x6 needs a new home.
V6 Jeep motor, turbo 400 transmission. Warn hubs, winch, new tires, new interior too.
Bobcat tracks can be added. Off road use only.
Trailer not included.
1 of a kind
Title present
No trades

special-K 10-25-2021 07:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jeep Gator! Pretty dang cool

How about a couple Jeep fire trucks?

HO455 10-26-2021 09:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8987975)
Jeep Gator! Pretty dang cool

How about a couple Jeep fire trucks?

That first one is interesting. I wonder if it was based on a Gladiator or a Wagoneer? I would like to see how that roof line blends into the box.

Here is another somewhat rare Jeep. The Thriftside. I really like how it has the earlier Willy's look to the box.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-jeep-j2000/

Ol Blue K20 10-26-2021 10:08 AM

Nice Jeep, I like those trucks.

special-K 10-30-2021 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Me too. I dig those Thriftsides. They look more like a Willys with that bed

The newer style was pretty cool, too

Ol Blue K20 10-30-2021 12:00 PM

I wanted a Honcho but my dad said the colors would ruin hunting. The deer would be scared away!! I believed him....:lol: Gullible or an idiot, I'm not sure.....

special-K 10-31-2021 12:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I never had much luck hunting from my truck :lol:

That green one is a '79 with the early grille swapped in. I always wanted to do that if I got one. My brother-in-law back when he was my friend *(:lol:) had a bright blue Honcho wide bed in '78. I could see through the grille the old sheet metal was behind there.

* Still my friend. I meant years before my little sister grew up and they met

I probably already showed these or you all are getting sick of J-series Jeeps. But don't complain or I might shut this thread down :lol:

Ol Blue K20 11-01-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8990371)
I never had much luck hunting from my truck :lol:

That green one is a '79 with the early grille swapped in. I always wanted to do that if I got one. My brother-in-law back when he was my friend *(:lol:) had a bright blue Honcho wide bed in '78. I could see through the grille the old sheet metal was behind there.

* Still my friend. I meant years before my little sister grew up and they met

I probably already showed these or you all are getting sick of J-series Jeeps. But don't complain or I might shut this thread down :lol:

I'll never complain. My dad was into the old Willys trucks and loved his Wagoneers too.

special-K 12-04-2021 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a foreign International

57taskforce 12-04-2021 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8985402)
A rare vintage and extremely capable 4x4. Not mine! My neighbors hate me enough without that parked out front. :lol:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1943-white-m2a1/

This truck was built by the White Motor Company in 1943 as an M2 half-track and was converted to M2A1 specification by the US Army Ordnance Department during World War II. It is finished in olive drab over tan canvas upholstery, and power is sent to both axles via a 386ci White 160AX gasoline inline-six paired with a non-synchronized four-speed manual transmission and a dual-range transfer case. Features include folding window armor, a machine gun mount, and troop seating for 10. This M2A1 was acquired by the owning dealer in 2021 and is now offered by the seller on their behalf in Los Angeles, California, with an ammo box and a California title listing it as a 1944 White.

The man who founded the oil and gas company I work for, operated a Half track during the war. He had permanent scars on his back for the shell casings coming off the .50 cal in the back and going down between his skin and service uniform. Later in life when he had adequate funds he found a couple half tracks. He had the guys in the shop build 1 out of them. We still keep it around today for parades and such. I looked after it for a few years. It’s cool to drive around and gets a lot of attention. The guys who drove these things in real combat are true hero’s, that’s all I can say. They are not that easy to drive in real life.

Ours still has all the original running gear including the big ole white motors 6 cylinder.

special-K 04-20-2022 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1918, a 104 year old FWD

special-K 05-04-2022 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tough enough

Southcity 05-04-2022 11:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Dodge offering to compete with the Jeeps, Internationals and Chevy Suburbans of the era. 50's styling carry over, truck chassis, 1966 was last year it was offered. I think some of the only options were heater, interior roof mounted Philco radio, hubcaps.

This dark green one was recently featured on Jay Leno's garage.
Attachment 2189798

Attachment 2189799

Attachment 2189800

special-K 05-06-2022 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those were so cool. Town Wagon! They did 4wd Town Panels, too. That middle picture could be my friend's Wagon's twin

57taskforce 05-07-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9075034)
Tough enough

I’ve always really liked the style of the studebaker trucks. They just have their own unique flare that is really cool. I don’t see them that often even here in the desert. But boy let me tell you when I do see one, it catches my attention everytime.

special-K 05-07-2022 06:51 PM

Same here. I first saw them bopping around in the Northwest in the '70s. All the cool 4wds you can think of you saw running around every day

BLAZERMAN 05-14-2022 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I figure this is worth mentioning, last week May 8th 2022 Fred Ward aka Earl Bassett from the cult movie "Tremors" passed away. That movie came out at a time when I was into Jeeps....I was on my 2nd J-20 I had owned along with quite a few CJs a Commando and lastly a CJ-8 Scrambler. Had some nice rigs back then but none compared to that ratty old stepside. I always had intensions of building a clone to it right down to those Desert Dogs but could never find the right bed. Rest in Peace Earl, you will be missed.

special-K 05-15-2022 09:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Cool truck for sure. I'm sorry to hear he has passed on. I never had a Jeep before, but have always liked the Willys, Gladiators, and whole J-series trucks.

Tough to pretty they all look good! My how things have changed in the truck world