The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   A '54 named Busty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792026)

layinrocker65 06-29-2020 11:10 AM

Re: A '54 named Busty

Yes you need a regulator, the PCM will not control your fuel pressure. Late model vehicles with FPCM will control fuel pressure using PWM but you don’t have that. Best way for you to go is using a corvette fuel filter regulator. It has 2 fittings on one side that go to the sending unit(3/8 feed, 5/16 return) and one fitting on the other side that goes to the rail. It regulates the pressure to 58psi. Which is standard LS pressure.

layinrocker65 06-29-2020 11:13 AM

This is the setup. I suggest getting a WIX or ACDelco one of you go that route. It can be mounted to the frame near your tank so you still only have one line running to your engine from the regulator.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...PSI,41791.html

Gregski 06-29-2020 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by layinrocker65 (Post 8765911)
Yes you need a regulator, the PCM will not control your fuel pressure. Late model vehicles with FPCM will control fuel pressure using PWM but you don’t have that. Best way for you to go is using a corvette fuel filter regulator. It has 2 fittings on one side that go to the sending unit(3/8 feed, 5/16 return) and one fitting on the other side that goes to the rail. It regulates the pressure to 58psi. Which is standard LS pressure.

thanks, I researched the Corvette one like a year ago when I first got the engine, but honestly been so distracted with other projects and forgot all of my research, thank you all for your help, Speedway makes this nice unit that integrated -6AN fittings on to it so no need for adapters, I ordered one today off of Amazon, but I still can't find what the stock one looks like on our trucks for 2004 5.3L

Wide Open 06-29-2020 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texxxan (Post 8765839)
I'm certainly no one qualified to give advice here, but I believe you need the Corvette regulator ( 2 lines in and one line out) for this set up. Someone qualified please verify this because I will be doing this set up very soon.

It might be the easiest option. I’ve used it on a couple of different swaps and it worked fine.

Since The Greg is running a nonOEM pump and housing I’m not sure how easy it will be to use the 04+ setup.

Wide Open 06-29-2020 11:29 AM

Well I guess I need to refresh before I post when I get distracted. That looks like an even better option than the stupid little plastic clips that holds it together stock.

Wide Open 06-29-2020 11:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8765916)
thanks, I researched the Corvette one like a year ago when I first got the engine, but honestly been so distracted with other projects and forgot all of my research, thank you all for your help, Speedway makes this nice unit that integrated -6AN fittings on to it so no need for adapters, I ordered one today off of Amazon, but I still can't find what the stock one looks like on our trucks for 2004 5.3L

I believe it’s all in the pump housing.

Gregski 06-29-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 8765931)
I believe it’s all in the pump housing.

thank you, thank you, thank you, it was driving me crazy trying to find the darn thing, I thought it was mounted on the firewall similar to the air pump, and since I did not own the donor vehicle I couldn't just go and hunt for it

soooooooooooooo appreciate it!!!!

Gregski 06-29-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 8765929)
Well I guess I need to refresh before I post when I get distracted. That looks like an even better option than the stupid little plastic clips that holds it together stock.

yeah they are called quick connect for a reason (not quick disconnect, LOL) the factory is all about making it easier and faster to crank out these trucks ie build them for their less and less skilled workers, I hate all of the GM fittings and connectors they are insanely difficult to disconnect and reuse without damage, some electronic plugs you seriously need a third arm to get off, that or maybe I'm just a moron?! ha ha

Gregski 06-29-2020 11:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
so while we wait on the little fuel pressure regulator (pronounced: "expensive") to show up might as well fandangle the drive by electricity throttle pedal

Options:
1. shorten the pedal

2. amputate my right leg directly below the knee

texxxan 06-29-2020 12:11 PM

Options:
1. shorten the pedal

2. amputate my right leg directly below the knee
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm. Decisions decisions...

Wide Open 06-29-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8765951)
yeah they are called quick connect for a reason (not quick disconnect, LOL) the factory is all about making it easier and faster to crank out these trucks ie build them for their less and less skilled workers, I hate all of the GM fittings and connectors they are insanely difficult to disconnect and reuse without damage, some electronic plugs you seriously need a third arm to get off, that or maybe I'm just a moron?! ha ha

Yep I hate them too I had a quick connect quickly disconnect on me once. (Well twice actually). I swapped an L92 into a 00 RCSB that originally had a 5.3. I used the Corvette regulator plugged into the factory fuel lines at the rest of the engine since they were already there and in working order. I connected the single feed line to the L92 returnless fuel rail. Good to go. Until one day driving home the truck stalled and I smelled gas. Popped the hood to find the connector at the file rail had quickly disconnected and sprayed the engine bay with highly flammable liquid. Thankfully no fire. I reconnected it and drove the rest of the way home. I figured I must have not fully snapped it into place on installation. A few weeks later same thing happened but this time I couldn’t keep it connected. It would partially dislodge and leak fuel at the connection so I ended up buying Russell fittings to replace the factory stuff.

Wide Open 06-29-2020 12:46 PM

With the covid going on it’s probably quicker and easier to modify the pedal.
Just my two cents.

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 8766008)
With the covid going on it’s probably quicker and easier to modify the pedal.
Just my two cents.

right you are ... hold my beer!

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
... and Robert is your father's brother!

presented with or without the plastic cover I made from a piece of plastic that fell off a Jeep on the side of the road - you're welcome (ha ha) someday I plan to fab something smart out of metal

yes I ended up putting a "speed" hole in the plastic pedal because I'm an idiot and didn't realize you can tilt it forward more (so the metal won't make contact with the plastic) when taking the torch to it to bend it into submission a little bit

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
a really lame and flimsy SPECTRA (pronounced: "cheap junk") 45° rubber elbow showed up today so I decided to moch up the cold air intake

we have two options, long and strong or short and stubby?

please let me know which you prefer Option A or Option B

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Option A - Long and Strong nothing Wrong just some air flowing Along...

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Option B - Stubby Bobby

Gregski 06-29-2020 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's how either option will be supported at least in this spot

8man 06-30-2020 07:59 AM

I like B, it seems to fit better. Of course that is only worth what you paid for it though.

texxxan 06-30-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8766419)
I like B, it seems to fit better. Of course that is only worth what you paid for it though.

I'm with you, I like B better.

Gregski 06-30-2020 09:48 AM

yup guys I like B better as well though that Spectra 45 elbow is junk, may get a new one thats also a 4" to 3.5" reducer

Wide Open 06-30-2020 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dude you seriously did not need to share. I would have been perfectly fine if you would have kept this all for yourself.

Gregski 06-30-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 8766845)
Dude you seriously did not need to share. I would have been perfectly fine if you would have kept this all for yourself.

ha, if you can't share with your friends who can you share with?

Gregski 07-01-2020 09:40 AM

Me: "so babe, are we gonna have fun camping this weekend?"

Wife: "I donno, is Busty gonna be fine without you for a couple of days?"

texxxan 07-01-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8767051)
Me: "so babe, are we gonna have fun camping this weekend?"

Wife: "I donno, is Busty gonna be fine without you for a couple of days?"

I'm not a smart man, but I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question.