The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Low Elco 06-09-2014 08:27 AM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Can't wait to see the super sano bag install!

moreb 06-17-2014 06:54 PM

Hey Vic,

Rick showed me your thread when he was down a couple weeks ago. Found time(about 1hr 30 min) read the whole thread over the weekend. Had to wait to get accepted before I could post.

Fantastic!

Keith Daleen

Vic1947 06-17-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moreb (Post 6725188)
Hey Vic,

Rick showed me your thread when he was down a couple weeks ago. Found time(about 1hr 30 min) read the whole thread over the weekend. Had to wait to get accepted before I could post.

Fantastic!

Keith Daleen

Thanks, Keith! Good to have a master metal man looking over my shoulder. I really miss Motorburg and the build thread on CS's 'bird. All the more reason to stop by the shop, I reckon. The thrash is on at Smith's this Friday/Saturday to see if that stroker motor will actually run. Stop by if you get the chance.

moreb 06-17-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6725209)
Thanks, Keith! Good to have a master metal man looking over my shoulder. I really miss Motorburg and the build thread on CS's 'bird. All the more reason to stop by the shop, I reckon. The thrash is on at Smith's this Friday/Saturday to see if that stroker motor will actually run. Stop by if you get the chance.

I'm supposed to snag it tomorrow night and trailer it to Steve's for the upcoming transplant.

Vic1947 06-18-2014 06:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
With the twins here from Houston, CRLS is taking a backseat to other more important stuff like Worlds of Fun and picnics at the park. Today, though, while the kids were cleaning out the toy department at Target, I hung around the shop and worked plastic filler. I tell you what, that whole "saving money" by shortening the bed deal is wearing me out. The outer skin is finally ready for a coat of Slick Sand, but I still haven't flipped the bedside over to work the inner panel. Thankfully, the surface only needs to be straight enough for bed liner. I started spreading some mud on the bed floor so I can toggle back and forth between two panels and work one while filler is setting up on the other. I need to tune up my spreader tool as it's leaving too much in the valleys and taking too much off the peaks. Other than that, it's going well.

jlsanborn 06-18-2014 06:55 PM

Looks great Vic! That bed floor has to be tedious eh?

Vic1947 06-18-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6726581)
Looks great Vic! That bed floor has to be tedious eh?

Yep, using a flat stirring stick with sandpaper folded around it to clean up the valleys is a pain. But the good news is ...it doesn't have to be perfect. So hopefully it will go quickly.

Elliot949 06-18-2014 08:44 PM

I am starting the bed floor this weekend straightening all the weld dimples... so you think the paint stick is the way to go as opposed to a sanding block...

Vic1947 06-18-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6726717)
I am starting the bed floor this weekend straightening all the weld dimples... so you think the paint stick is the way to go as opposed to a sanding block...

I didn't have a sanding block that would fit down in the recessed areas of the bed floor. I scrounged up a house paint stir stick that's wider than the ones you get at the auto paint store. Used the belt sander to take off just a little bit to where it fits the groove just right. It's stiff enough to work the filler down flat. Only drawback is that you need to wear gloves or it will quickly rub the hide right off your fingers.

Elliot949 06-18-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6726749)
I didn't have a sanding block that would fit down in the recessed areas of the bed floor. I scrounged up a house paint stir stick that's wider than the ones you get at the auto paint store. Used the belt sander to take off just a little bit to where it fits the groove just right. It's stiff enough to work the filler down flat. Only drawback is that you need to wear gloves or it will quickly rub the hide right off your fingers.

LOL... Thanks for the info...

jeh 06-18-2014 09:35 PM

Vic, looks like your bedsides and floor are coming right along. You sure do have a lot of patience....

swamp rat 06-19-2014 04:05 AM

Looks great Vic! this brings me to a question, you don't have the filler door installed, are you gonna leave the door as is or are you going to try and apply some to the door and match the couture?

I noticed my door does not sit tight against the rubber bumpers when closed, I did do some armstrong work with it, got it better than before but not perfect. I kinda figured trying to mud the door would open a big can of worms, i don't care if its perfect.

mcbassin 06-19-2014 07:54 AM

Nice work on the bedside and floor. You are bringing back pleasant memories:)

Low Elco 06-19-2014 08:05 AM

Lookin' straighter by the day!

Vic1947 06-19-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6727149)
Looks great Vic! this brings me to a question, you don't have the filler door installed, are you gonna leave the door as is or are you going to try and apply some to the door and match the couture?

I noticed my door does not sit tight against the rubber bumpers when closed, I did do some armstrong work with it, got it better than before but not perfect. I kinda figured trying to mud the door would open a big can of worms, i don't care if its perfect.

I think the door can be tweaked to where it fits the opening. It was pretty close when I mocked it up way back when. There's not a lot of curve to the panel right there, so hopefully the flat door will look okay. As long as it sits in the center of the opening with an even gap all the way around it should blend in. I doubt I could improve its appearance much with filler, so I agree it would more than likely make a mess.

Vic1947 06-19-2014 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little bit more done on the bed side and the floor today. We're dropping in that 383 SBC tomorrow down in Sedalia. If things go well, it should be thumping by evening time. Plan to be back home Saturday afternoon and grinding plastic again by Sunday.

Hendo 06-19-2014 07:09 PM

I did the same thing on my truck but caught it becase my truck is bagged and the crooslink was hitting. Flipped it around and it was all good. The problem is that it fits in so good backwards.

Low Elco 06-20-2014 08:42 AM

We'll require pics of all extraneous work. Good luck in Sedalia!

Vic1947 06-21-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendo (Post 6727965)
I did the same thing on my truck but caught it becase my truck is bagged and the crooslink was hitting. Flipped it around and it was all good. The problem is that it fits in so good backwards.

Amen to that, other than the reduced turn radius and the low speed scrub, you'd never know by looking at it.

Vic1947 06-21-2014 08:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6728669)
We'll require pics of all extraneous work. Good luck in Sedalia!

Sure thing...
Engine ready to drop in, partially hooked up and completely installed. This doesn't begin to tell the whole story. We started at about 10AM and had it running by 5PM. Ran great for about 20 minutes and after rechecking the valves and giving the timing one last look, it was time for a ride. It was at this point, it all ran off the tracks. Suddenly we had a mini-starter problem and more troubling, a serious screech had developed toward the front of the engine. My immediate suspicion centered on the cam button. I'd bought the tricked out, double throw down button with an integrated Torrington needle bearing. I assumed (incorrectly) that it would get oiled via splash off the timing chain. Not! Before that could happen, the bearing partially seized and the resulting metal to metal gave notice of imminent self destruction. Everyone had plans for the evening, so we shut down and reconvened this morning at 9:30. Removed the radiator and A/C components, the FEAD and the water pump. Dropped the pan down in the front and removed the timing cover. Suspicions confirmed. Luckily, nothing had come off and dropped into the pan or [worse!]. While we cleaned up the parts and removed the remains of the failed cam button, Chris, a local machinist made us a button to the dimensions we needed out of Delrin. At 2PM we had it running again and by 3PM, I'd fried the tires out on 3rd street. A little after 5PM I was back home in KC. Last I saw of the '57 it was headed down the street to get gas and then to a local shop to setup the four link and front end.

Moral of the story... sometimes the simple solution is the best.

Xeen 06-21-2014 08:42 PM

An adventure in engine building Starring Vic!
LOL great job Vic it sounds like once again you saved the day.

sduckworth13 06-21-2014 09:57 PM

That's awesome Vic, you do some great work. That 57 Chevy looks awesome!
If you have time tomorrow let me know and I'll bring the drop blocks by.

jeh 06-21-2014 10:16 PM

Nice work on the '57 Vic.

Vic1947 06-21-2014 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6730528)
That's awesome Vic, you do some great work. That 57 Chevy looks awesome!
If you have time tomorrow let me know and I'll bring the drop blocks by.

Thanks, Scott. I'll be around all day tomorrow. Below is one last pic of the '57 down on the ground.

sduckworth13 06-21-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6730623)
Thanks, Scott. I'll be around all day tomorrow. Below is one last pic of the '57 down on the ground.

Wow that car is awesome! I'll give you a call tomorrow Vic.