The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Cubber's Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=540844)

chevybuilder18 06-30-2013 06:14 PM

Re: Cubber's Build Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 6149987)
I'm picky about who gets in to my bed!

Love the tail lights! especially the bed where it says keep out. Liking the creativeness vibe coming off this truck!!

thelonerife 06-30-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

HaHa :bann:

jb1016 07-01-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Lol, words to live by!!

cubber 07-01-2013 01:08 PM

Glad I could entertain! lol

chevybuilder18 07-01-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 6151607)
Glad I could entertain! lol

your a riot :lol: wish i could meet you, and gather tips from each and everyone of you guys

cubber 07-02-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 (Post 6152743)
your a riot :lol: wish i could meet you, and gather tips from each and everyone of you guys

Ask anything you want. :metal:

chevybuilder18 07-02-2013 03:29 PM

what kinda rear member are you using for the trans? is it stock? did you originally intend on orange and black camo? i think it looks sweet!!!

cubber 07-02-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 (Post 6153716)
what kinda rear member are you using for the trans? is it stock?

It IS stock. Since my truck already had an auto trans when I got it, it already had an auto cross member. When I swapped in the v-8, I put in the correct engine perches which moved the engine forward, which meant I had to move the member forward to the next set of holes (about 3 inches). Since the holes were already there, it was pretty easy, except for the cab being kinda in the way. Some people put the v8 in the 6 cylinder perches, which is doable, because the mounts are the same, but it makes your distributor REAL close to the firewall, which can be trouble later. My rearend is the stock 12 bolt out of a 72 model with an auto trans, and it has 3.08 gears. I plan to add a locker this winter. My driveshaft was too short after everything moved forward, so I had a new one built.

did you originally intend on orange and black camo? i think it looks sweet!!!

It's actually supposed to be a fake patina or "fauxtina". There are a few threads on it here on the board. The way the pics always look on the computer make it look like that orange camo. There are actually several different layers of color exposed in different areas. It is supposed to kind of look like those trucks you see with the really worn down paint. The thing is, that it won't really ever look like its been in a field for 40 years unless it has been. It is orange on top, and black underneath because the front clips and beds were mostly done in black primer at the factory. If you could see it a kittle better, you could see there is some red oxide exposed in places on the cab because the cabs were usually primed in red. It is just supposed to look like the paint is wearing off. I at first painted the truck flat black to cover the purple it was when I got it. I spent so much money on the mechanical parts of the truck, there is no budget for paint just yet. My buddy Rus (Rusbuilt) showed me a little about the fauxtina, so I decided to try it for fun. I knew it wasn't gonna look really authentic, so I just had fun with it. I actually even buffed an waxed it. I like it, and it gets TONS of attention at all the places I have taken it so far!

Man, I ain't typed this much since term papers! lol. Ask whatever you want to know, man. That's why I put all this stuff up here. I hope I can keep someone from learning some of the lessons the hard way, like I did, lol.

77ChevySharkBite 07-08-2013 05:53 PM

Hey matt, I just wanted to check in and ask not sure if you ever told us but when do you start the new job?

cubber 07-08-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite (Post 6162946)
Hey matt, I just wanted to check in and ask not sure if you ever told us but when do you start the new job?

I started today!! Here is a representative vid of what I did. This machine weighs 118,000 pounds! That's crazy!

Rusbuilt 07-08-2013 11:12 PM

Thats pretty cool Matt!

Bomp 07-09-2013 09:15 PM

Can you borrow it on the weekend?

Congrats on starting the new job.

gdavis 07-09-2013 09:28 PM

I see the machine. It is running and crushing all the fords. Good luck

77ChevySharkBite 07-09-2013 09:34 PM

Awesome man glad your enjoying it already!!!! So is there anything that machine can't do? That thing is super awesome!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

thelonerife 07-09-2013 11:59 PM

Thats like the machine that pulled the shingles off my trailer when I was roofing the house. Put a tire down in front of the trailer w/a 2x6 behind it and a long chain around the tire to hang off the end and loaded up w/shingles. Hooked the chain to the blade of that monster and he backed up taking almost all of it. I learned this trick on the first trip. I was unloading by hand while others did this trick all around me. You could tell I was the newbie. Next trips were fast lol. Not sure he was allowed to do it but it made it quick for everybody w/a trailer and he didn't have to wait a long time for people to unload. Thats a big machine!

jb1016 07-11-2013 06:53 PM

We had a small dumpster at my old job, and I used to jump up and down in it to make more room...looks like that's what that thing does, but on a much bigger scale:sumo:

cubber 07-13-2013 03:12 PM

Hey, fellas! Thanks for all the encouragement! I have been working a ton of hours, which is good. Apparently it's real busy when the weather's nice, and slows down in the winter. This is good because I can save up money, and then have time to work on stuff over the winter!

Yes, the machine is awesome. Some of my favorite things to run over so far have been TV's, and pallets make a cool noise. Someone brought in a whole trailer load of furniture and cabinets, and that was pretty fun, too. the guys I work with are cool, and most of them are newer employees, so we are all learning together, and everyone is eager to help with whatever is going on. It is different from where I came from, for sure!

Chuck, that is called a "pull off" (kinda makes sense, lol) and is a normal and allowed thing. You just have to have on a vest, or we're not supposed to allow you out on the work face. It is fun to talk to all the people that come in, and to see the crazy ways and vehicles they use to get there stuff to the dump. One of the funniest was doing a pull off out of a Chevy van!

I hope everyone is doing well, and I may not be around as much as I was when I was off, but I will check in as often as I can!

5150 07-13-2013 03:17 PM

Good for you Matt. I'm glad the job is going great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 07-13-2013 03:48 PM

Glad the new job is fun and the people are easy to get along with. That is a big plus.

When the time comes to put new stuff on the truck I'll be here checkin in on the progress:metal:

77ChevySharkBite 07-13-2013 04:10 PM

Glad to see you enjoying the job man gotta have a job you enjoy right?

We will be waiting for updates :lol: until then you have your family to provide for which we all understand so, your truck will always be there no matter what but anxious for winter to see what happens keep the good work up man! :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 07-30-2013 09:15 PM

sounds like you are enjoying your new venture. Keep enjoying and God Bless

cubber 07-30-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6197379)
sounds like you are enjoying your new venture. Keep enjoying and God Bless

Thanks, George. Not much time for the old truck lately, though. I guess when I have some time, I will at least have a dollar or two.

flashed 07-30-2013 10:17 PM

Matt ,I cant wait to meet you soon I hope and see your truck in person. Glad your job is working out too.

cubber 08-01-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 6197484)
Matt ,I cant wait to meet you soon I hope and see your truck in person. Glad your job is working out too.

Thanks! I am excited to meet you as well.

gdavis 08-02-2013 08:06 PM

Thanks for coming by and all your comments are welcome. George