The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 10-12-2012 02:28 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabrantes2011 (Post 5629155)
What turbos are you running on your truck? Your twin setup looks really similar to the ATS Aurura Twin Turbo Kit, is that where you got the idea?
Posted via Mobile Device

Secondary is a Super HX40W, primary is a HT60. I didn't get the idea from ATS's kit. I just built them to fit on this old truck. Haha. Next time I might hang the primary over the inner fender. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 10-19-2012 07:06 PM

I've managed to get some stuff done on the old girl. Trying to get this thing started up so we can see if the clutch operates correctly, and we're tired of pushing it in and out of the shop. :lol:

My brother mounted the AirDog 150, ran the fuel lines to it, hooked up the injection pump, put the return fuel lines on and hooked it up to the lift pump too. I got the hvac box on and installed new gaskets on it. Hooked up by coolant by-pass and hooked up the heater and radiator hoses. Put on the turbo piping with new o-rings. Painted the battery trays, head light buckets, and some hardware. Installed the new head lights, installed the battery trays, and worked on installing the cargo lamp. The well nuts aren't bulging properly and just pull through. I'll have to get a second pair of hands for that later. I also got a new to me rear bumper. We hung it on the truck but will need to remove it to move the mounting holes farther back t gain bed to cab clearance.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...017_203319.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...017_203352.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_132325.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_132335.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_132350.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_131448.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_131502.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_131433.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...019_131539.jpg

jbclassix 10-19-2012 08:01 PM

I'm finally gonna ask. What's with the FoMoCo lookin' blue?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 10-19-2012 08:29 PM

It's different. I've used black, red or silver on piping for a while and I wanted something different for this. Plus it might as well show some ford pride since there might not be any ford parts on this one. Haha

wutnxt 10-19-2012 08:50 PM

Well your getting closer and closer.....it can't be much longer now..sure has been alot of work and it sure looks geat...

Dieselwrencher 10-19-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5657150)
Well your getting closer and closer.....it can't be much longer now..sure has been alot of work and it sure looks geat...

Thanks buddy. Hopefully soon I can get the front clip on i and it will resemble a truck again. :lol:

wutnxt 10-19-2012 09:06 PM

It looks great.....I bet you can't wait to finish it and start driving it.....looks like your not to far off now...did i mention it would look great pulling my 58 around ?lol

Dieselwrencher 10-19-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks man. :lol: Yes it would. Don't tempt me I'm sure you have even cooler stuff sitting in the field of dreams and I'd hate to have to swap ya. Haha :lol:

mosesburb 10-20-2012 12:10 AM

Looks great man!! I did not like the blue but it has grown on me--a lot. I like it now--especially with all of the silicone hose. The green belt clashes though. And WTH is the deal with the orange fan hub?? What do you think about a blue thermostat housing instead of black?? Too much?? Might be cool.

Nice job on the turbo setup and being able to use the stock evaporator case. I had a time clearing the case with ONE stock turbo and you spiked the ball and cleared it with two big un's. Good show!!

wutnxt 10-20-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5657340)
Thanks man. :lol: Yes it would. Don't tempt me I'm sure you have even cooler stuff sitting in the field of dreams and I'd hate to have to swap ya. Haha :lol:

Well in the entire fleet/field of dreams i think i am now at 18....lol....and not one diesel yet...not that the entire fleet runs or is even all together..chuckles
I just want to finish off the 58 in the next couple of weeks and take a break. You have to be happy with the way your project is turning out...you have some killer work into it. Oneday when I want to upgrade the 454 crate engine in my dually and make it a pulling killer you know I am calling you...lol. You have a killer ride in the making over there and i can't wait to see what it can do

Dieselwrencher 10-20-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 5657501)
Looks great man!! I did not like the blue but it has grown on me--a lot. I like it now--especially with all of the silicone hose. The green belt clashes though. And WTH is the deal with the orange fan hub?? What do you think about a blue thermostat housing instead of black?? Too much?? Might be cool.

Nice job on the turbo setup and being able to use the stock evaporator case. I had a time clearing the case with ONE stock turbo and you spiked the ball and cleared it with two big un's. Good show!!

Thanks. It was a tight fit for sure. :lol: The fan hub is a touchy issue. I robbed the fan hub from this to put on my corvette because I put the one from the corvette on a customer's truck. I sold my diesel tach cluster for cash and a dodge cummins 94-02 fan hub. The problem is that the guy sent me a industrial fan hub. So that brings us to the orange fan hub. :lol: The bearing in it is toast and I'm trying to find a shop that can press in a new bearing. I'm having issues finding some one that will do it. I don't have the tooling, and I really don't want to brake one, so yeah. Until I get the 2 fan hubs I just purchased a few weeks ago, the orange one is going to have to work until I get the others. I also think if I get an intercooled first gen hub, I might be able to put a mech fan on it. IDK though.

Dieselwrencher 10-20-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5657906)
Well in the entire fleet/field of dreams i think i am now at 18....lol....and not one diesel yet...not that the entire fleet runs or is even all together..chuckles
I just want to finish off the 58 in the next couple of weeks and take a break. You have to be happy with the way your project is turning out...you have some killer work into it. Oneday when I want to upgrade the 454 crate engine in my dually and make it a pulling killer you know I am calling you...lol. You have a killer ride in the making over there and i can't wait to see what it can do

Thanks dude. By the way, your 58 is the bomb! I love what you're doing with it.

wutnxt 10-20-2012 01:53 PM

I would love my 58 more if it ran...........lol...thanks dude

watahyahknow 10-20-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5658014)
So that brings us to the orange fan hub. :lol: The bearing in it is toast and I'm trying to find a shop that can press in a new bearing. I'm having issues finding some one that will do it. I don't have the tooling

if you have the right bearing to replace the one in it heres a neat trick:
take a big screwdriver and knock the old bearingballs out of the bearing still in the hub then take a stickwelder on high and weld the inner and outer race together
when the weld cools the outer race contracts and the bearing just about falls out of the hub on its own (doesnt work when theres an axle sticking in the bearing though)
then put the fan on a furnaceplate until spit sissles of it and drop in the new bearing while turning of the heat and les it cool slowly might need to help it in a little with a bush and hammer on the outer race
put a dab of extra grease in the bearing to replace the molten grease that prolly ran out and mount it

Dieselwrencher 10-20-2012 10:05 PM

I have a press to remove and install the bearings. I just don't have any shims or stock the right size to support the hub to get it secured on the press. These bearings are a sealed unit and 2" thick and roughly 2.5" in diameter. Plus the bearings are $100 ea and a used hub is $150 on up so I really dont want to damage either.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesburb 10-20-2012 10:24 PM

I may still have an offset fan hub here. If you need it I will take a look. I used the intercooled 1st gen hub on mine (with a super-custom spacer for the fan) and that fixed a bunch of issues in one shot. The biggest thing it did was bring the fan back to center where it lined up with the hole in the shroud from the big block.

ryanroo 10-20-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 5658690)
I may still have an offset fan hub here. If you need it I will take a look. I used the intercooled 1st gen hub on mine (with a super-custom spacer for the fan) and that fixed a bunch of issues in one shot. The biggest thing it did was bring the fan back to center where it lined up with the hole in the shroud from the big block.

i am interested in that hub as well. as i sit now my fan is a little south of the radiator. i think the first gen hub will get the fan a little better centered in the core. i will be making my own shroud, but it would still be easier with the fan centered.

Ryan, if you have a centered hub and want to do a trade or some such thing let me know. i still have to send your steering block! i moved it earlier and remembered again...

Ryan

Dieselwrencher 10-21-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5658759)
i am interested in that hub as well. as i sit now my fan is a little south of the radiator. i think the first gen hub will get the fan a little better centered in the core. i will be making my own shroud, but it would still be easier with the fan centered.

Ryan, if you have a centered hub and want to do a trade or some such thing let me know. i still have to send your steering block! i moved it earlier and remembered again...

Ryan

Ryan, I have an industrial hub that is near a dodge hub but the fan pulley is different and the spacing may be too. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back. Im not so worried about side to side as front to back and one on the burb I'm doing appears shorter and its from a 93. 92 & 93 are the shorter ones. Maybe I'll pull it off and see if it'll fit. I doubt it though. This truck is about to get put on hold again for a bit. The burb my wife's driving is getting to the point it's wanting more money and I need to get the 76 on the road in a bad way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 10-25-2012 04:00 PM

Any one want to buy a truck?

coggonobrien 10-25-2012 04:19 PM

what truck would that be and why

Midgets50 10-25-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5667367)

whatcha got?

jbclassix 10-25-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

50 bucks delivered?
In all seriousness i hope everything is ok with you and your family and this is just a build frustration post.
Posted via Mobile Device

SS Tim 10-25-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 5667649)
50 bucks delivered?
In all seriousness i hope everything is ok with you and your family and this is just a build frustration post.
Posted via Mobile Device

X2 I know how a single bad day can really kill momentum and desire.

RatRod68 10-26-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

That came out of left field....

ryanroo 10-26-2012 08:08 AM

Ill take the turbos!

hope whatever the speed bump was has passed by now and nothing really serious has happened my friend.
Ryan