The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

Lanman1972 03-07-2015 09:13 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

2 Attachment(s)
Mounted the bed today. Feels good to drive a whole again. Been driving it without the bed for 6 months.

DillonGMC 03-07-2015 09:50 AM

I put some 110 in the tank and laid some rubber lol

DillonGMC 03-07-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 7079753)
Mounted the bed today. Feels good to drive a whole again. Been driving it without the bed for 6 months.

Looks good lanman I love orange and white.

Lanman1972 03-07-2015 10:34 AM

Thanks Dillon, hope to trim it today and then drive it for awhile. Done for now(NOT)

85burb 03-07-2015 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I finished off my power disc brake install. It started out ok. The booster and the master cylinder went on and fit like it should. The day took a nose dive from there. The brake line kit I got with the power brake conversion didn't fit at all. I was only able to use one freaking line and had to bend it in to a completely different shape to make it work. Bleed the brakes and then moved to the rear. I was to install 2 inch lowering blocks and they came with new u bolts. Well the idiots at performance online have no idea what they are doing. The u bolts were too short. Who sends 2 inch block with u bolts only 1.5 inches longer then the factory bolts. Then I drove all over trying to find bolts that would work. I was not able to find any. So I went back home and put the short u bolts in and then moved on to the track bar. I removed the old one and measured it. 27 1/8 long. Started to extend the new once again performace online brand track arm. The end falls right out the end and is about 2 inches short still. So then I installed the factory arm and parked the truck again. I am not sure if this is how performance online treats all there customers but every order I have got has been messed up or took for ever. Here is a picture of the truck at its final stance. We may lower the rear one more inch later on but this will due for now.

Possmguts 03-07-2015 09:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed the disks, calipers and wheels to check the fit after doing the drop spindles..... wheels are too close to the area the tie rod goes into.... So much for running these wheels and tire while I save up for for the new ones. I was hoping to buy the new ones last after the rest of the truck was done.
(I left the cotter pins and grease nipples out until I knew everything would work, that's why you don't see any in the pic)

CST10 03-07-2015 10:07 PM

Installed a new mechanical fuelu on ol owen.

sk8er32283 03-07-2015 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1374179
Wasn't today but I figured that I would post anyways. I installed a seat from a late 60's international into the truck. The original frame would not work so I made one. See thread here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658511

I also fixed a whole lot of wiring issues in the truck. I just want to says one thing to everyone out there. Please make sure you are careful when you are wiring things up especially when it is not like the factory design. I found a lot of things that just scared me today. The scariest was a wire straight to the battery that ran up under the dash to a standalone switch w/ no fuse to power the starter solenoid.:crazy:

Stay safe and happy wrenching.

Boog 03-08-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7080538)
Installed the disks, calipers and wheels to check the fit after doing the drop spindles..... wheels are too close to the area the tie rod goes into.... So much for running these wheels and tire while I save up for for the new ones. I was hoping to buy the new ones last after the rest of the truck was done.
(I left the cotter pins and grease nipples out until I knew everything would work, that's why you don't see any in the pic)

And what brand spindles are those? 3" ?

Possmguts 03-08-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7080713)
And what brand spindles are those? 3" ?

I went with CPP 2-1/2 inch spindles and 3 " springs..CPP CP4S2 These are the new style that allow me to keep my 67 steering linkage and still use the 71-72 disk brakes.

CaliCode 03-08-2015 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gave my headlight trim a satin black treatment

BugzC10 03-08-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7080538)

What's your wheel back spacing? My tie rod ends are that close (maybe even closer) but never rub or hit. I think you'll be fine. Put the tie rod ends in and move your wheels from lock to lock, then check you clearance. Note: If your back spacing is 4" or more on a 15" wheel, the wheels will make contact with the LCA when making a hard turns. Ask me how I know....I use to find aluminum metal shavings in my drive way with my old Centerline wheels. Didn't take me long to figure out what was happening.

Boog 03-08-2015 09:56 AM

I've never used them but some guys use spacers to gain that "just enough" clearance in cases like this. A 1/4" or so might be enough. Cheaper than a set of new wheels and work in the interim until such time as you are ready to buy new ones. Those look like 7" chrome rims so the back space shouldn't be more than 3 1/2".

tommy3horse 03-08-2015 10:40 PM

I installed new plugs, made-up a set of wires, replaced the dizzy cap and rotor. I cleaned-up the engine compartment, taped some wires and replaced the vac hose to the vac advance. Did the nascar zip tie thing on the wires and tucked them behind the headers. Looks cleaner.

Tom

Possmguts 03-08-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 7080894)
What's your wheel back spacing? My tie rod ends are that close (maybe even closer) but never rub or hit. I think you'll be fine. Put the tie rod ends in and move your wheels from lock to lock, then check you clearance. Note: If your back spacing is 4" or more on a 15" wheel, the wheels will make contact with the LCA when making a hard turns. Ask me how I know....I use to find aluminum metal shavings in my drive way with my old Centerline wheels. Didn't take me long to figure out what was happening.

I realized Im a big dummy today when I figured out I was trying to put the tie rob in from the bottom.... its all good. Dont know how I thought they went that way... Thanks

Chuck Burg 03-08-2015 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ran out of 1 1/2 x 3 today, heading to the steel yard in the morning to pick up the material needed to finish it up. Got the plans drawn up for the back, gonna have it water jetted out tomorrow along with a few other things I'll be adding.

Lanman1972 03-09-2015 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Put some finishing touches on today. Covered the console to match, mounted Craftec Cover and upper trim on the bed.

outdoorsman310 03-09-2015 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
temporary repair for shifter hole. this cover is rusted badly and I need a v8 cover anyway

PipsC10 03-09-2015 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
installed new gauges and finished my ride height sensors

Boog 03-09-2015 10:19 PM

Nice gauge panel.
But what's the flathead going in? ;)

PipsC10 03-09-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7083350)
Nice gauge panel.
But what's the flathead going in? ;)

Just an old empty shell sitting around for looks :)

71K20chevy 03-09-2015 11:01 PM

Checked all fluids and started up and ran for a little bit. Getting it ready for when I get my license next week!

magwakeenercew2jh 03-10-2015 12:47 AM

Looks like another dry weather spell ahead here. Time do do some garden hauling, helping friends and family move some big stuff, etc.

So, after doing farm type chores and pool duty around here today, I uncovered RAT after cleaning up a little, took some pics and did a little video.

My truck has become "old hat" on the forum...And all I've been doing is not "visual", but here are some new pics, and then the video.

I was grunting and groaning...too many things done today by the end of the day. Unfortunately, only a little of that effort went toward the truck.

http://youtu.be/uzZxFMQZJIs

Some different angles of RAT in these pics than we usually see.

http://magwa.smugmug.com/DrivewayRAT...-3176x2016.jpg

If you decide to look at the pics, , you can click the "Slideshow" bar on the page that comes up in the link:

http://magwa.smugmug.com/DrivewayRAT-32015/

VWNate1 03-10-2015 08:26 AM

Got a couple hours and tinkered on my 250 engine a bit....

No pix but soon there should be some nice ones .

Gotta figure out howq to hoist the TH350 tranny so I can bolt it to the engine ~ I remember juggling them like nothing 40 years ago , whew .

Mator 03-10-2015 09:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted it over the week end. Not the color I was after but it is what I got. It does look good though. More bronze than the red I was after. Nothing I can do now but like it. :devil:

bonnieclyde100 03-10-2015 09:31 AM

I like it to

texasld 03-10-2015 09:50 AM

First start!!!!!

VWNate1 03-10-2015 11:00 AM

I feel your joy ! .

I wish I had whatever it takes to make these videos too .

Crushkrew 03-10-2015 11:25 AM

Installed ECE 4/6 over weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidqGJrgKEQ

Crushkrew 03-10-2015 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
B4 and After pix

Possmguts 03-10-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushkrew (Post 7083946)
B4 and After pix

specs?

magwakeenercew2jh 03-10-2015 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7083964)
specs?

Yeah. Maybe.

But I, personally, like the way she sits without 'em.

:lol::lol::lol:

cooperhw 03-10-2015 12:16 PM

Not today but over the weekend I got new motor mounts installed. bolted down the mount perches. installed new exhaust manifold on pass. side. installed an HEI distributor. new plugs. ran the wires around and Bamm, started the old 327 up first try. have started it up about 10 times since. pulled the heater core out and ordered one. picked it up last night and got it installed after work. Trying to get ready to put the front clip back on, but still got a few things to do. :metal:

texasld 03-10-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7083914)
I feel your joy ! .

I wish I had whatever it takes to make these videos too .

iPhone and internet connection. Not to hard. Just do some googling!

Crushkrew 03-10-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7083964)
specs?

details here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650510

Last weekend we installed the ECE 4/6 kit with CPP modular spindles...

time lapse vid posted above...

eric67c10 03-10-2015 03:39 PM

Got the water pump on
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...psvgtzoi4n.jpg

jacob822 03-10-2015 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled my heat shield off my exhaust manifold to find how bad the crack that came from nowhere was....

mammothhunter 03-10-2015 09:55 PM

Sadly nothing :(, but I did get the title to my new 57 project!

85burb 03-10-2015 10:58 PM

Went and had u bolts made for the rear axle and installed them. Tomorrow it alignment day! Then a few shake down runs to work and back then Goodguys next weekend!

cooperhw 03-11-2015 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob822 (Post 7084409)
Pulled my heat shield off my exhaust manifold to find how bad the crack that came from nowhere was....

Hey that crack looks familiar