The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project* (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=239896)

Dave Reed 06-09-2009 08:34 AM

Re: Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project*

Boy this dropped back to page 4. It took me almost 2 days to read it to find out you are building a sunbeam. ARGHH! Another thread I will have to subscribe to! Damn Honda drivetrain! I wanna put a turbo on my civic commuter...hehe 35 mpg and 300hp in a 2200lb car would be a little fun on my 40 mile each way commute.

Frizzle Fry 06-09-2009 11:39 PM

Yep, the "engine swap" has become another outa control project (I have thoughts of a turbo too).

Since this one got bumped I'll share my latest thoughts on it. When I get back to it I'm going to finish the 4th door and then hit the suspension. I will install the dropmember that's been sitting here way too long and at the same time I will extend my rear notch by 1.5" or so to allow me to move the rear wheels back. I need to do this to center the wheels in the wheelwells and to gain tire clearance from the suicide hinges. I could just go with smaller rubber but what fun would that be?

After that I might drive it/enjoy it for a bit before making the PS doors match the DS.

Jvsapp 06-09-2009 11:44 PM

sounds good FF, can't wait for them update pics. gonna go check out the minx now

original_balzer 06-11-2009 07:53 PM

Im pretty sure I read you say there wont be a B-pillar so the front door will latch to the roof and floor or the back door? I guess one has to ltch top and bottom right?

this also means you will mod the pass side to match? Or ar you leaving the B-pillar on that side? And just doing the suicide?

Or am I completely wrong and there will be a B-pillar?

Just a note if you are going pillar less 73-91 suburbans with barn doors have a top bottom latch, heck so do 92-99. Anyway point is they should be plentiful in junk yards by now to scavange parts from.

original_balzer 06-11-2009 08:31 PM

Oh yea I almost forgot. What are your plans for the rear floor are you going metal or wood?

Frizzle Fry 06-12-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by original_balzer (Post 3355298)
Im pretty sure I read you say there wont be a B-pillar so the front door will latch to the roof and floor or the back door? I guess one has to ltch top and bottom right?

this also means you will mod the pass side to match? Or ar you leaving the B-pillar on that side? And just doing the suicide?

Or am I completely wrong and there will be a B-pillar?

Just a note if you are going pillar less 73-91 suburbans with barn doors have a top bottom latch, heck so do 92-99. Anyway point is they should be plentiful in junk yards by now to scavange parts from.

Oh yea I almost forgot. What are your plans for the rear floor are you going metal or wood?

Yes pillarless on both sides. The rears will latch top and bottom and the fronts will latch normally into the rears (which serve as B-Pillars). The B-Pillars are so narrow up top that it was hard to find a latch to fit, but I found the solution in my spare parts bin; 67-72 Burb tailgate latches. On the bottom there's plenty of room so I'm using bear claws there.

Rear floor plans are cabinet grade oak milled to accept chrome stips to look like planks.

original_balzer 06-12-2009 08:32 PM

SWEET! Im glad to hear your going wood in the rear actually. It will be very nice.

JayDubBlazer 06-13-2009 12:27 AM

Friz.
I don't know how, but I started subscribing to this thread from very close to the beginning. I subscribed because your work was awesome and your vision was totallyh different (take different as a big complement). PLEASE start posting progress pics

Jvsapp 06-13-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDubBlazer (Post 3357300)
Friz.
I don't know how, but I started subscribing to this thread from very close to the beginning. I subscribed because your work was awesome and your vision was totallyh different (take different as a big complement). PLEASE start posting progress pics

FF's busy with the Minx. so we all have to wait till the 'hoe begs for attention again. :aiiet:

teamradrz1 06-25-2009 01:32 AM

Wow this is one long thread but loaded with cool pix serious fab work and can't wait to see the finished product!

gcburdic 08-19-2009 12:41 PM

ttt false alarm again!!!...LOL

FF, I read through your build here...All I can do is shake my head....great fab work...look forward to seeing this one get done....soon....maybe?!?!ha

hotrodhomi 08-19-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 3473102)

FF, I read through your build here...All I can do is shake my head....great fab work...look forward to seeing this one get done....soon....maybe?!?!ha

UUUGH! tricked again....

Frizzle Fry 08-20-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 3473102)

Just got back in town from a trip to Crater Lake...WOW!

I have been gathering parts for Tubby and fending off purchase offers :lol: Here's what I've added to the pile:
  • Dropmember v3.2 with PB chromoly tube arms and PB 1.25" sway bar (all powdercoated)
  • Stange-Built 700R4 with all available aftermarket internals
  • 3:73 gears
  • Locker Diff
  • New Windshield
  • New-to-me nice-used used 67-68 core support
  • and another set of buddy buckets so I can now do two rows
  • ...also decided to use the painless panel I have on this...into the pile

Also, I've developed a plan to allow me to move the rear back without modding the notch. The ECE super trac-bar mount is the issue. Otherwise there is plenty of room to move the rear back 1" or so and center the wheels in the arches while solving my hinge clearance issue. I'm going to relocate the track bar or possibly go to a Watts. At the same time I will build stepped TA's with a ~1" extension aft of the bags. That will allow me to get rid of the blocks and put them to use on the '64 :)

FRENCHBLUE72 08-20-2009 07:16 PM

Crater lake is awesome I must say. I would like to go on wizard island but do not know if it is possible...... F.F. when you get the hoe done imma comming up and we are gonna have one hellva board meet......

Frizzle Fry 08-20-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 3475686)
Crater lake is awesome I must say. I would like to go on wizard island but do not know if it is possible...... F.F. when you get the hoe done imma comming up and we are gonna have one hellva board meet......

Anything is possible; Hang-Glider!

Sounds like a plan. NW Board Meet Summer 2010 :)

Frizzle Fry 08-21-2009 11:42 AM

Scratch the stepped TA's; I just ordered a set of Porterbuilt Tube TA's with 1" extension and 3" drop :metal: Should match the PB front nicely :D

XXL 08-21-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3475791)
Sounds like a plan. NW Board Meet Summer 2110 :)

FTFY (assuming it's not all over on 12-21-2012)

LOW DOUGH 08-21-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 3476988)
FTFY (assuming it's not all over on 12-21-2012)

What?

tobiahr 08-21-2009 04:58 PM

12-21-2012 is supposed to be the end of the world as opposed to the end date of the mayan long calender

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Doomsday_Prediction

Frizzle Fry 08-21-2009 10:54 PM

My plan is to get this done before the world ends... But if not I'll have fun trying.

hgs_notes 08-21-2009 11:23 PM

So then on 12/22/2012, what's the next doomsday date? Inquiring minds want to know.
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/sece...elebrity/67139

VA72C10 08-21-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3476762)
Scratch the stepped TA's; I just ordered a set of Porterbuilt Tube TA's with 1" extension and 3" drop :metal: Should match the PB front nicely :D

Back on topic....nice purchase.....

:chevy:

mcbassin 08-22-2009 09:48 AM

Just went through the whole thread....Man this is a very cool project. You should bump it to the top of your list things to finish! Keep up the great work!

Frizzle Fry 08-22-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 3477734)
So then on 12/22/2012, what's the next doomsday date? Inquiring minds want to know.
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/sece...elebrity/67139

Ed Zackery
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 3477771)
Back on topic....nice purchase.....

:chevy:

Indeed :cool: Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 3478191)
Just went through the whole thread....Man this is a very cool project. You should bump it to the top of your list things to finish! Keep up the great work!

When these Porterbuilt parts start rolling in it's going to be extremely difficult to stay focused on the Sunbeam engine swap. Uggggh :waah: This is like having two dates to the prom.

PBFAB.COM 08-22-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3478267)
Ed Zackery

Indeed :cool: Thanks

When these Porterbuilt parts start rolling in it's going to be extremely difficult to stay focused on the Sunbeam engine swap. Uggggh :waah: This is like having two dates to the prom.

Yeah, but we all know the one that's stacked gets all the attention!