The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

Ta2Don 09-16-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Happy Belated BDay & God Bless... ;)

McMurphy 09-16-2013 08:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6270823)
Eagerly awaiting Pics...
Sounds like you may have had a bit of fun with the newest Toy!!!

Indeed, it is fun !! I hope I can get those photos !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6271613)
Happy birthday! Old guys (and trucks) rule! Hope you charged 'em, maybe at least one of these trucks we mess with will earn its keep!

One truck owner stashed a half rack of Alaskan Summer Ale in the truck cab the next morning, and the other truck owner has promised a shank of moose meat for the freezer !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6271617)
Happy 50th buddy. Hope you had a good time
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6271667)
Happy 50th, hope you had a good day

It was a beautiful day weather-wise... that is good enough for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6271707)
Glad to hear you're putting the tow truck to work! Anxious to see some progress photos too.

Ok here you go buddy !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6272235)
Happy Belated BDay & God Bless... ;)

Thank you Don !

****************************************************************************************

So there I was with a Summit Parts Catalog and looking at Camaro Rear Sway Bars, remembering that some of you all have posted using these body type specific suspension parts.
What I did not commit to memory was the year ranges you guys use.
Nonetheless, I placed my order (yes I do that sometimes, eagerness overrides common sense in me some days ~LeSigh~).

This is what I got in the mail, and what I did to adapt it to my build.

In order to mount this I had to make the C-brackets, and have some 7/16" U-bolts made. Lucky for me there is a Transmission shop in Fairbanks that does this and it was an easy in-easy out task to get them.
I also had to cannibalize the radiator mount perches from my front clip donor to bolt them to the frame behind the rear axle to give my sway bar arms something to mount on.
Attachment 1152751
Attachment 1152753
Attachment 1152758

After I had everything for the adaption made, fabbed, and painted it was just a matter of bolting it up into place.

As you may guess, getting this sway bar to clearance the rear end access plate was the main priority and foremost in my mind.
Attachment 1152759
Attachment 1152760

On the happy side, it is a 7/8" bar, which matches the front sway that came off the donor Sierra. All in all my sense of OCD and balance were appeased.

I got this done just days before I went home on Leave for the month of August, and didnt have time to post it before bugging out.
Since then I have reattached the brake lines and bled them as stated the other day.

The bottom line to this is I must remember to not order parts untill I am 100% certain of all needed information. Though I must admit the closer I get to finishing this, the fewer parts orders I am making these days....

Thanks for looking guys, and if any of you spot a problem or possible hang up please point it out to me. You may have forgotten; but I am reminded daily that this is the first time I have done some of this stuff !!

Modges'66 09-16-2013 09:36 PM

Hmmmm.
Murph, I don't know how to tell you this.....But, from an observers standpoint, i don't think that this is going to work as you had planned.
I don't want to seem like a stick in the mud, but the entire idea behind the ANTI-swaybar is contingent on the force needed to twist the bar to resist body-roll in cornering.
That being said, the ANTI-swaybar needs to be mounted parallel to the ground to achieve as much twist as possible during cornering to attempt to force the inside wheel to be level with the outside wheel, thus keeping the vehicle somewhat level.
The way that it is mounted in the photos, very little twist will occur during cornering, resulting in the body roll of the vehicle easily overcoming the force needed to twist the bar, rendering the ANTI-swaybar virtually useless....My opinion from an engineering standpoint.

McMurphy 09-16-2013 10:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6272757)
Hmmmm.
Murph, I don't know how to tell you this.....But, from an observers standpoint, i don't think that this is going to work as you had planned.
I don't want to seem like a stick in the mud, but the entire idea behind the ANTI-swaybar is contingent on the force needed to twist the bar to resist body-roll in cornering.
That being said, the ANTI-swaybar needs to be mounted parallel to the ground to achieve as much twist as possible during cornering to attempt to force the inside wheel to be level with the outside wheel, thus keeping the vehicle somewhat level.
The way that it is mounted in the photos, very little twist will occur during cornering, resulting in the body roll of the vehicle easily overcoming the force needed to twist the bar, rendering the ANTI-swaybar virtually useless....My opinion from an engineering standpoint.

Thanks for the input Modges...
Here are the photos I used as a reference; it seems to be a common method of mounting and I thought I got mine as close to this as possible....
Attachment 1152788

Attachment 1152789

Attachment 1152790

Attachment 1152791

Attachment 1152792

These photos were shamelessly lifted (pilfered) from RockTonka's build found here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...507111&page=12
Post #285

Any suggestions on how I can fix mine?

Modges'66 09-16-2013 10:24 PM

Murph,
The drag links need to be TOTALLY vertical or perpendicular to the swaybar when the vehicle is sitting on the ground.
As you can see in the second photo that you just posted, the links are, which allow the greatest leverage to attempt to flex the bar as much as possible with the least amount of travel.
PM me and we can discuss over the phone tomorrow.

BOXER957 09-17-2013 07:34 AM

A noble effort, but yes talk to Modge over the phone and he will give you a better understanding of how they work. From the picture it looks to me like your kit will work, you just need to flip your bar around and it looks like it will work.Look at the pictures of the other guys truck, you'll notice what I'm about to tell you. Mount the sway bar on top of the rear housing, flip it around so the arms go towards the rear of the truck and the bar sits in front of the diff. with the arms travelling rear, remount your vertical links. Try to keep the links as close to a 90% angle as possible, should be easy beans. Good luck, we'll be waiting for an update on both installation and difference in ride quality.

Low Elco 09-18-2013 08:11 AM

Thanks for saying it, Modge. I didn't wanna be the one to pee on the parade. No biggie Murph, ya got the right parts, just need a bit of re-orienting.

McMurphy 09-30-2013 09:38 PM

Sorry about the lack of updates...
I was so discouraged by the previous comments that I decided I could no longer compete with Modges, Boxer, and LowElco, so I sold the truck and all my tools and have taken a vow to never turn a wrench again.

To all my faithful supporters.....well thanks.

Meh....just kidding guys.
I was staring at my front sway bar like Modges suggested and I competely understand what he was trying to tell me now about my rear one.
Sadly I have not undertaken the task of fixing it yet.

In classic Me tradition, I had already started my next phase by the time I posted those pics, so now I have to finish this before I can go back and fix that.

But for those who have been keeping score, you all know what tomorrow is.....
So big post from me tomorrow, just contemplating photos, or video?

Anyways just to let you all know I had not abandoned you, or my truck!!
Thanks for reading

Ta2Don 09-30-2013 09:55 PM

Big Update Coming!!!:metal::metal::metal:

Video be my VOTE!!!!:bann:

markeb01 10-01-2013 01:19 AM

Holding on standby!

KroAutomotiveInc 10-01-2013 02:07 AM

looking real nice man that thing is going to be one smooth ride cant wait for the update!

jlsanborn 10-01-2013 02:58 AM

Anxious to see what you've got in store! The sway bar should be an easy fix, just gotta shift a few things around.

McMurphy 10-01-2013 09:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6293871)
Big Update Coming!!!:metal::metal::metal:
Video be my VOTE!!!!:bann:

How about both photos and a video ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6294150)
Holding on standby!

Thank you sir, hope I do not disappoint !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 6294177)
looking real nice man that thing is going to be one smooth ride cant wait for the update!

That would make two of us hoping this is going to be a worth while ride man !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6294191)
Anxious to see what you've got in store! The sway bar should be an easy fix, just gotta shift a few things around.

Here you go my friend, hope you enjoy !!

**********************************************************************************************

So here we are again, 01 October, start of a new fiscal year, and 2 years since I introduced myself to this community by starting this build thread.
My my my how the time flies eh??

Again like last year, as much for you guys as for me, it is time to reflect on where I started and where I am at now.
What follows here are a few side by sides that should represent some of that progress...the good, bad, and the ugly.
At the end of it, I will supply a video that will be more progressive in nature, and of course subject you all to some more in my musical tastes.

Sit back, relax, and I hope you enjoy the show !

Attachment 1158109Attachment 1158110

Attachment 1158111Attachment 1158112

McMurphy 10-01-2013 10:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next set:
Attachment 1158116Attachment 1158117

Attachment 1158120Attachment 1158121

McMurphy 10-01-2013 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Round 3....

Attachment 1158122Attachment 1158123

Attachment 1158124Attachment 1158126

Jmorales3181 10-01-2013 10:40 PM

:metal: big difference! Need a full walk around!
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 10-01-2013 10:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last set....

Attachment 1158127Attachment 1158128

Attachment 1158131Attachment 1158138

.....for now !! :metal:

Thanks for looking guys.... my next post should have a video in it for you!

Ta2Don 10-01-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6295616)
:metal: big difference! Need a full walk around!
Posted via Mobile Device

:agree: plus I'm looking foreword to the VIDEO...:bann:

likaroc13 10-02-2013 02:49 AM

It has come a long way for sure! Keep up the good work. :bowtie:

BOXER957 10-02-2013 04:36 AM

Fantastic! From where you started to where you are, you have absolutely every reason to be proud! Especially considering your location and the climate you have to deal with. I wish I had thought to do a walk around set of pics so I could have a before and after comparison. Again Great job, both on the truck and the pics. dtw out of all the pics you've ever posted, the one where your wife is out there in the blistering cold junkyard in 100 feet of snow trying to take out the bronco seat...She's a keeper! Kudo's to you my friend on all points. I think we need to see some whole truck walk around shots :metal: :metal:

Jeff La 10-02-2013 10:04 AM

Looks great, slowly buy surely getting there

McMurphy 10-02-2013 11:48 AM

Here you go, it is late due to crappy internet up here....

1963c-10 10-02-2013 11:56 AM

Good job McMurphy....your getting closer with ever job done.

jlsanborn 10-02-2013 12:08 PM

What a great reflection! You have done a ton of work Murph. I did like the "Remove the heater cord" note on the old cluster tho. My son has a similar note about headlights on his truck :lol: What's on the adgenda? When we gonna go for a drive?

Ta2Don 10-02-2013 12:43 PM

Amazing transformation Murph!:metal:

My 2 year mark will be April 2014... No where near the progress you've made... :waah:

Congrats!!! ;)

...and the Joe Satriani piece...:metal::metal::metal: