The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762114)

N2TRUX 06-09-2018 01:26 PM

Re: "Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

I like the 75 up grills too, but the recess of the 73-74 adds so much depth to the front end.

N2TRUX 06-21-2018 09:34 AM

After dropping Jake at my buddies shop, things got really crazy for me. Work had a seasonal surge so my company hours were extended. Combine that with prepping Elwood for a photo shoot, and I had neglected my home improvement projects. My yard was a mess, and I had family coming to stay. We had a brief vacation planned with the fam so I had to get busy. I spent a few busy weeks and weekends getting some remodel work done. In between home update projects my wife and I worked on the yard.

Hart_Rod 06-21-2018 09:39 AM

Nice build

N2TRUX 06-21-2018 09:40 AM

Going from daylight to dark is nothing new for me, but i ran out of hours to work in the shop. Combine that with my painter getting called away for some contract work, and production on Jake has been minimal.

N2TRUX 06-21-2018 10:01 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Last week I got a text from Yuma and they did get started on stripping the roof. It appears that a tree limb fell on it and caused some damage in several spots. Most of it was minor till the P/O decided to try his skills at fixing it. Unfortunately Farmer Jack did more bad than good.

All those small rust spots are high points where the P/O tried to "fix" the dents. It was a challenge to get it flat again, but Yuma and crew pulled it off. Heres what they started with.

N2TRUX 06-21-2018 10:10 AM

7 Attachment(s)
To ensure that there was nothing hiding under that weathered and worn paint, they stripped the roof to raw metal. The Texas sun had taken its toll on the factory paint, but the sheet metal was all good. With the exception of the bag of marble surface they had to get flat no rust repair was necessary.

It took several sessions of pulling low spots, followed by hammer work to get the high spots flat again. Heres the first round required to fix the farmers fiasco.

aggie91 06-21-2018 10:17 AM

I hate doing work on a roof, so much area to work and if its double walled like the trucks are, just makes the work slower...

Looking good after one round...

Palf70Step 06-21-2018 11:20 AM

Tree limbs and hail storms reek havoc. I hate doing repairs on roofs and hoods from areas that get a lot of hail.

Devilman 06-21-2018 03:24 PM

My crew's roof is only slightly better shape than that, I'm gonna get it as straight as possible. With the planned suspension lift and 38" tires it'll be up out of sight so I won't see it everytime I get in...that's the plan anyways but my OCD usually wins out

N2TRUX 06-21-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8285892)
I hate doing work on a roof, so much area to work and if its double walled like the trucks are, just makes the work slower...Looking good after one round...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8285926)
Tree limbs and hail storms reek havoc. I hate doing repairs on roofs and hoods from areas that get a lot of hail.

I can do minor metal repair, but this called for the experts. i know I didnt have the tools, skills, or patience to tackle this job. The man thats doing the metal work has been doing it for over 40 years. He looked at the roof, smiled, and said "no problem, I LOVE this kind of work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilman (Post 8286080)
My crew's roof is only slightly better shape than that, I'm gonna get it as straight as possible. With the planned suspension lift and 38" tires it'll be up out of sight so I won't see it everytime I get in...that's the plan anyways but my OCD usually wins out

We know thats not going to happen. Keep telling yourself if it eases the pain though. ;)

N2TRUX 06-23-2018 12:30 PM

No pics yet, but I'm told the roof is ready for primer, and the back of the cab is getting done this weekend.

N2TRUX 06-27-2018 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I asked my buddy Johnny C to do an improved version of the rendering I had for Jake. I wanted it to be simple, showing no specific color or wheels at this time. I still havent picked it up yet, but heres what he came up with. Thanks Johnny, I always appreciate your work.

83GMCK2500 06-27-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8289760)
I asked my buddy Johnny C to do an improved version of the rendering I had for Jake. I wanted it to be simple, showing no specific color or wheels at this time. I still havent picked it up yet, but heres what he came up with. Thanks Johnny, I always appreciate your work.

Dang! I sense technical difficulties. (pic not showing up for me)

N2TRUX 06-27-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 (Post 8289812)
Dang! I sense technical difficulties. (pic not showing up for me)

I fixed it. Pic didn't upload.

N2TRUX 06-28-2018 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up the last of the power doors today. Its still fairly easy to find full power doors. They were common on the 88-91 Suburbans. Unfortunately most of those also came with power mirrors as well. As much as I like the functionality pf power mirrors, the look is not period correct. I'll stick with hand adjusted dumbos instead.

N2TRUX 06-30-2018 10:01 AM

My wife is amazing. I needed to haul the core support, a fender, and a door to the bodyshop. I knew it wouldn't fit under my bed cover so I planned to load it on my trailer. My wife suggested using her Denali instead. Unfortunately I didn't take pics, but it did fit.

N2TRUX 06-30-2018 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday morning I packed my wife's Denali with body parts for Jake's 84 to 74 conversion. I headed to Pasadena to meet with Yuma and see where we were. We unloaded the parts and chatted about the progress. The damage that Farmer Fred had done with has barnyard attempt to repair the roof was gone. The roof was flat and ready for a layer of high build primer.

N2TRUX 06-30-2018 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The back of the cab had the usual waves and dings that come from the manufacturer stampings. We plan to eliminate or at least reduce them where possible. The sides are taking shape. The back and recesses will come next.

N2TRUX 06-30-2018 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The only real rust on the entire truck was this weird spot in the rear door jamb. I was perplexed as to why it was in such an odd spot. I investigated the possibilities and discovered the cause. The drain hole in the rear door had clogged enough to allow water to accumulate inside. The door was rusting inside, and the corrosive water was dripping out causing rust in the jamb.
To ensure that Jake will be 100% rust free, the door was replaced with a newer Suburban door. Yuma cut out the rusted area top and bottom. The exposed insides will be blasted, and neutralized. New metal will replace the bad spots, and sealed up properly.

rustytruck50 06-30-2018 10:50 PM

Jake's really coming along...its a lot more in-depth than what you've documented with previous builds & I think it's gonna be a good guide for conversions & light damage & rust repair.

N2TRUX 07-01-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8291932)
Jake's really coming along...its a lot more in-depth than what you've documented with previous builds & I think it's gonna be a good guide for conversions & light damage & rust repair.

I usually try to buy projects with paint. That puts you so much further ahead time wise as well as a financially. Unfortunately that was not an option this time so I took advantage of a good deal on a solid truck with bad paint.

Fortunately my buddy Yuma agreed to get involved and offer an "affordable" paint job and still use premium quality materials. He feels that the cab and clip will be ready by the end of July. I hope his estimates are correct.

N2TRUX 07-02-2018 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday night was spent at the body shop, and Saturday I ran service calls all day. Sunday I finally got some shop time in. The original manual doors from Jake needed to be stripped. I had to pull the quarter windows and glass from the rear doors. This will replace the factory dark tinted glass on the power Suburban doors that are on the truck.

The quarter windows and track will go to Precision Replacement Parts to be reconditioned. Once the new doors are stripped, prepped, and painted the clear glass and restored quarter glass will go in along with all new rubber molding.

N2TRUX 07-02-2018 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I pulled and sorted all of the door panels as well. Once I have had time to analize the condition of the panels, I'll make a decision on which set I'm going to use. I plan to strip, restore and dye them once a color has been determined.

N2TRUX 07-04-2018 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some of my accounts were open today, so I worked this morning. I managed a bit of shop time this afternoon though. I removed the old tint from the rear door quarter windows and boxed assemblies up. They will be shipped to Precision Replacement Parts to be restored.

4x4chase 07-05-2018 11:37 AM

Subbed for motivation