The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   ParB's 72 Orange Jimmy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759763)

allchevy58 01-30-2019 12:11 AM

Re: ParB's 72 Orange Jimmy

Coming together real nice. Was you upholstery done in Reno?

parb 01-30-2019 12:20 AM

Yes, at steves upholstery in reno. None of the upholstery is in yet, need to get the trim on and a million of little details before its time for that. Steve has upholstered the seats and stored them. Once the truck is ready it needs to go over to him for sound deading and carpeting as well as covering the interior sides of the doors.

But thanks, its starting to look pretty darn good!

jaros44sr 01-30-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parb (Post 8454066)
Just looked through the pictures. The best pictures i have are these two.

What do you think, is that a flat saddle paint on top?
The air intake in front of the truck has just been stripped of paint when i took the picture of the left. my intent wasn't to take a picture of the dash paint, but its the best i got.

do any of you have a picture of the dash with paint so i can check it out?

I think was is confusing me is the dash pad seems to go all the way to the windshield with a speaker hole as it would be in a pick up truck

My dash pad only extends about 4 inches towards the w/s

parb 01-30-2019 12:38 PM

I spoke to the body shop and they had pictures. So the dash was painted the same color orange as the rest of the body. No paint that matched the dashpad.
The hole you see on top is the vent hole for the air/AC.

In the pic i posted where it seems like it is paint on it is misleading. The metal on top of the dash at that point had been sandblasted, and the lighting plus the angle of the camera created a misleading picture.

I talked at length to my friend who helped me disassemble (in the spring of 2018) land we both swear that the top of the dash was just as orange as the rest of the body, and there are no signs of a respray in that area. I personally don't have a great picture of the dash from top down after disassembly, but i have lots of front pictures, nothing gives a hint of a different color on top. And my memory is orange and so is my friends + all the people at the body shop and they have some pictures that partially show the top of the dash. To me i think this settles it as far as what i am going to do -i am keeping it orange the way i got it.

I can't explain why my truck doesn't have the top of the dash painted saddle brown. But it didn't come that way from the factory in my case. Bad quality control or design? I have no idea. I'm going keep it orange the way i got it.

parb 03-24-2019 01:43 PM

My truck is nearing completion. Trouble shooting a few of the wires in the new electrical harness with all the interior bulbs and switches. Relatively minor stuff. Installing the retrosound stereo.
Need to get exhaust on it (hopefully next week). And after that is time for the interior. The seats are done but need to lay down sound insulation and a carpet.

New glass has been ordered, hopefully it goes in this week.
I'm going to try to build the seat relocation bracket to get a bit more legroom done before upholstery as well.

I plan to take a lot of pictures this weekend before it goes to the upholstery shop.

parb 03-29-2019 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures.

She is looking really nice. Most of the small stuff is done. Still need to get in the ratio, the upholstery and a few knobs in the dash.

parb 03-29-2019 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.

parb 03-29-2019 03:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics

parb 03-29-2019 03:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more

parb 03-29-2019 03:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And more

parb 03-29-2019 09:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the gas shocks added to the rear hatch from motocityk5. Great stuff!
Pics of the rear hatch. Note that I'll have to trim a little bit of the the bottom mount of the gas strut bracket.

DeadheadNM 03-30-2019 11:13 AM

Looks great! Keep the pictures coming.

twp1 03-30-2019 11:21 AM

Looking real good! Great work.

parb 03-30-2019 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback. A few more pics this morning.

I changed out the old broken side markers and brake lights for new LED lights. Mostly for safety. Wasnt sure if I would like the look but I'm digging it. Looks real good to me and even though I wanted the Jimmy as original as I could this is one of the concessions to modern technology that made sense to me.

lks dcvn 03-30-2019 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your rig looks awesome! Well done on reviving this truck. Little before/after for you.

parb 03-30-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 8497772)
Your rig looks awesome! Well done on reviving this truck. Little before/after for you.

Thanks!

3757chevy 03-31-2019 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good . Did the upper bracket fit good ? Or did it need fitted also?

parb 03-31-2019 10:15 PM

Upper was great. Only the lower needed some minor trim to fit perfectly.

3757chevy 03-31-2019 10:19 PM

Cool , thanks

72 Jimmy Power 04-01-2019 12:22 PM

Hello parb, I have a 72 orange Jimmy just like yours with black interior. Looks like your Jimmy was loaded with options. Nice score! Do you still have your factory am/fm radio? Mine does, it plays okay. I live about 30 minutes from you. Good luck with your build.

parb 04-01-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Jimmy Power (Post 8498745)
Hello parb, I have a 72 orange Jimmy just like yours with black interior. Looks like your Jimmy was loaded with options. Nice score! Do you still have your factory am/fm radio? Mine does, it plays okay. I live about 30 minutes from you. Good luck with your build.

Super cool! I've gotten to know a few jimmy/blazer owners around the bay on the forum. We should do a meetup at some time (i got to get mine completed). Maybe a trip over to the brewery in alameda? Great parking and great beer!

The original owner got rid of the original radio and put in a more modern radio in the 90s. I got a retrosound radio i'm going to install.

PM me
par

allchevy58 04-03-2019 11:40 PM

Close, bet you can wait. Looking good!

SeventyOne 04-10-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parb (Post 8498805)
Super cool! I've gotten to know a few jimmy/blazer owners around the bay on the forum. We should do a meetup at some time (i got to get mine completed). Maybe a trip over to the brewery in alameda? Great parking and great beer!

The original owner got rid of the original radio and put in a more modern radio in the 90s. I got a retrosound radio i'm going to install.

PM me
par

I'm game. Hoping I'll have my K5 ready for summer too!

allchevy58 05-02-2019 10:24 PM

Saw your Jimmy being towed down Fourth St. today, looks like they were heading to body shop. Looks good.

parb 05-02-2019 11:28 PM

Hi, yes they put on the exhaust at the muffler shop today.
A few minor details left and I need to get the upholstery installed, but she is getting there!

Current ETA is end of May. I'll be up at the body shop and upholstery shop tomorrow to finish up a few things on my end (been working on the interior chrome strips that sits on the side of the cabin in the rear interior sides.