The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "G&S project" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=320658)

nbpro 09-23-2010 10:12 PM

Re: It ain't over till it's over.

Well it looks like everything is on hold until we get the alternator situation taken care of. It seems I had the little sh*t that stripped the truck, take the alternator off and apart so I could paint it. When putting back together, he placed two small nails to hold the bushings in, and didn't take them back out. So I'm assuming this is what fried the alternator. The one we thought we had is not good. So I'll be scrounging around for an alternator. Wish me luck.

GMC91 09-23-2010 11:01 PM

I got one you can have, but you will have to come get it.

3r!c84 09-23-2010 11:04 PM

there u go

nbpro 09-24-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC91 (Post 4206751)
I got one you can have, but you will have to come get it.

pm sent

nbpro 09-24-2010 06:37 PM

Well it looks like with the help from a fellow square body lover, gmc91, that our alternator woes will be taken care of, so we can get everything back on track. Going over and picking it up Saturday. Thanks bro (gmc91:metal:). Means a lot when you're on a budget like I am.

GMC91 09-24-2010 08:42 PM

It's no problem man, always willing to help out a fellow truck owner.

Stitch 09-24-2010 09:53 PM

that's cool man...always feels good to help someone out...it's a win-win really...;)

RandyP 09-24-2010 10:06 PM

:thumbs: Good to hear you found an easy solution there. Nothing beats a friendly neighbor!

nbpro 09-24-2010 11:30 PM

Yes, it is good to have good neighbors, and it is a win/win situation. There's a longer story about this truck than I care to tell. But it goes to a promise I made to my mom before she passed away. And this helps further to keep that promise. But being on a fixed income myself, my brother changing jobs, and my nephew recently unemployed, this was a tremendous help. And if there's anything I could ever do for the young gentleman, I'll be willing. Or anyone else as far as that goes. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a few things to the truck this week. Not much. Got the moldings back on the bucket seats. Put on the skull gear shift knob we bought when we first started this. And more or less pulled and put on the alternator a couple of times trying to piece the two together. Oh yeah, did find out we needed to add a shim to the starter, which we did. That was about it.

nbpro 09-25-2010 11:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Short road trip today. Wish we could've spent more time, but had prior engagements up around the state line. Pushed us to get there on time. I really appreciate what gmc91 did. Seems like he's a very cool, level headed young gentleman. Hopefully this won't be our last road trip to meet and talk about trucks and stuff more next time. Once again, thanks from all of us.
Attachment 636849

Attachment 636850

Attachment 636851

nbpro 09-27-2010 12:10 AM

Got the alternator on, and did all necessary testing. It works out fine, so we're back on getting everything back together. Can't get my nephew to do $h*t, he's too busy texting his fiancee. Go figure... kids these days. Also found out something that I didn't know till today. It's not a good idea to pull your battery cable off to see if your alternator is working. It could put a spike in it and burn the alternator up. So I guess the best way to do this is late in the evenings, turn your headlights on with the motor running, then turn the motor off, and if the headlights dim, you're alternator is charging. Another way would be to test with a volt meter. The voltage should read at approx 14 when the motor is off. When the motor is running, it should read slightly higher if the alternator is charging.

GMC91 09-27-2010 12:12 AM

Im glad I was able to help you out man.

nbpro 09-27-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC91 (Post 4211598)
Im glad I was able to help you out man.

will if you need any help just ask bro

nbpro 09-27-2010 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well this doesn't have anything really to do with the build, but I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand. Here's a couple of pics. Pretty painful to say the least.

Attachment 637584

Attachment 637585

RandyP 09-28-2010 07:53 AM

Ouch! Hope you heal up man. Lets see, I think the farmers almanac usually says full moon times are not good times for surgery and such. I'd have to look again to be sure, but something about you get a lot of blood and different problems during full moon "body work".
My dad and grandpa swear by that thing and won't have surgeries or procedures done during bad times according to the book.

Anywho, lay off the wrist and heal up! One handed typing is slower, but millions of teenage boys do it. :lol:

Stitch 09-28-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyP (Post 4213793)
One handed typing is slower, but millions of teenage boys do it. :lol:

LOL...I actually laughed at this one...Laura asked what I was looking at, I told her and she laughed too...

anyways, buddy, I hope ya feel better soon...like Randy said, just lay off the hand and use the other one...

palposity 09-28-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyP (Post 4213793)
One handed typing is slower, but millions of teenage boys do it. :lol:

:lol: I bet that quote is going to end up in someone's sig.

Hope you heal up quick nbpro

nbpro 09-28-2010 01:37 PM

Nah. No one hand typing here. lol I'm running Windows Vista Ultra operating system, and voice recognition does that for ya.

nbpro 09-28-2010 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on the front bumper some today. Gonna have to buff it out real good, to get the small scratches out.
Attachment 637819

GMC91 09-28-2010 04:34 PM

Looking good, Imma have to come check out the truck one these days.

nbpro 09-28-2010 06:42 PM

kool bro let me no

dccarpenter 09-28-2010 11:22 PM

The truck is looking nice, very nice work with the custom interior touches, as a carpenter I've got some ideas of things I can do with the inside of my '84 now if I get to fixing it up some.

nbpro 09-29-2010 01:59 AM

Thanks bro when you do make a build thread post lots of pics:metal:

nbpro 09-30-2010 03:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Small update, on progress. Buffed the bumper out today. Looks pretty good. And here's a pic of the skeleton gear shift knob. Not a good one, but a pic.
Attachment 638542

Attachment 638543

nbpro 10-01-2010 04:21 PM

pick up some jbl 6x9 peakers