The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

Alan's Classic 05-03-2009 08:07 AM

Re: Daverods project 66

Dave, your making some great progress. I have one question. Is your string equal heights from the floor or any referrence point. The picture maybe deceiving, but it looks like it is going down hill. Just checkin' ya.;)

daverod 05-03-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3290453)
Lookin good! :metal:

You should be able to just pull the whole clutch pedal assembly out of there. IIRC it goes thru the center of the brake pedal assembly.

That's what I needed to know thanks Capt.:uhmk: Guess I got somthing else to do today.

daverod 05-03-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3290721)
Dave, your making some great progress. I have one question. Is your string equal heights from the floor or any referrence point. The picture maybe deceiving, but it looks like it is going down hill. Just checkin' ya.;)

My garage floor has quite a slope from back to front. From side to side it should be level.:lol: I'll measure it from the truck floor before I get to carried away. Beware of the wetness.:lol::lol:

Strodder 05-03-2009 11:17 AM

Coming out nice Dave. :metal:

Alan's Classic 05-03-2009 11:47 AM

Another tip. Walk around it several times and check alignment from different angles and also have someone else look at it. You have stared at it long enough. Someone else might see something that you didn't.;)

daverod 05-03-2009 01:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Getting alittle closer. Put some bolts in it to help hold it in place. I don't have any of those removable studs/rivits. Break time:smoke: Got to go to Lowes and buy some more metal. Found a scrap yard that sells it for .28 a pound but there not open today.:me2:

daverod 05-03-2009 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I did'nt get it done today maybe tomorrow. Welded a couple rods on the bottom of my door to close up the gap. Needed a bigger piece of metal to make the front of the radio part. I did'nt want to piece it. Wish I could make that space alittle smaller. Maybe some sleep will help:gi:

Alan's Classic 05-04-2009 12:03 AM

From the pix it looks like the gauges might have a higher angle than mine. Have you put a seat in the cab where it's supposed to be? If not you need that, steering column with wheel and gauge pods so you can get a good feel of what it will be like. What makes me think yours is tilted up more is the lower round area on the a post is closer to the door weatherstrip pinch weld. Either that or the top is rotated towards the front. As long as your comfortable with the looks and the fit and the way it feels go with it.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DSC09427.jpg

daverod 05-04-2009 09:07 AM

Gauges? You have to see your gauges. I just want it to look cool.:metal::lol: I'll have to check it out. They seemed ok awhile back but I moved things alittle. I really never look at them anyway. In the truck I drive now nothing has worked for ten years . :censored: ford.:hc: But who knows if they worked I might give them a glance now and then.:lol:

daverod 05-04-2009 04:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a nice morning working on my dash.:mm: Some more pics. I think the gauges will work. The speedo is about 3/8-1/2" off from being centered on the column, but maybe I can fix it when I bolt the column in. If not I can live with it. Is this when I use another can of Rage?:crazy: Found a glove box on ebay.:four: Lower steering column should be in the mail.:metal:

Alan's Classic 05-04-2009 05:35 PM

Nice progress :metal: also check your tilt clearance with it tilted up.;) Are you going to have defrost?

heidesign 05-04-2009 05:38 PM

NIce mod guys!

Looking thru the threads. I just joined this morning. Bought a beater this weekend as ANOTHER project. Got to love it though.

Bill

daverod 05-04-2009 06:55 PM

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3293186)
Nice progress :metal: also check your tilt clearance with it tilted up.;) Are you going to have defrost?

You think of everything. :gi:I have to go to Auto Zone and get a steering wheel puller so I can put my old steering wheel on. I am going to have defrost. Guess I better think about how that's going to work. :confused:I guess I'm just going to use the orginal stuff.:hmm:

Alan's Classic 05-04-2009 07:41 PM

Yeah, I've got a thinking problem.:lol:

Strodder 05-04-2009 10:41 PM

Damn I hate you guys. I'm jealous that I have a boring stock dash. Maybe some day I'll surprise you. LOOKEN GREAT :metal::metal:

MacAttack 05-05-2009 10:33 AM

:metal: Dave, digg'en the plumb line and layout work - with the detailed welding.

Mac. :chevy:

daverod 05-05-2009 12:21 PM

Thanks Mac I do know alittle about string lines. My welding, well it has some room for improvement.

protrash64 05-05-2009 01:03 PM

Nice work; its looking really good......and dusty!!!:lol:

Strodder 05-05-2009 02:04 PM

Warning THREAD JACKING. Hey Pro Trash, I meant to ask you in your sig picture what grill do you have in it? It's hard to see it. I'm looking for different ideas.

daverod 05-05-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3294556)
Nice work; its looking really good......and dusty!!!:lol:

That's not dusty you should have seen it after I sandblasted my cab inside my garage. Took me a week to clean it all up. I do think I have converted 2 gals Rage of into dust though.:metal:

daverod 05-05-2009 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3294635)
Warning THREAD JACKING. Hey Pro Trash, I meant to ask you in your sig picture what grill do you have in it? It's hard to see it. I'm looking for different ideas.

Strodder you might try and see if you could get this one to work?:lol:

protrash64 05-05-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3294908)
That's not dusty you should have seen it after I sandblasted my cab inside my garage. Took me a week to clean it all up. I do think I have converted 2 gals Rage of into dust though.:metal:

Thats my speed on bodywork too:lol:.....I love bondo-boogers:dig:

daverod 05-05-2009 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sick of sanding on my cab. I'm going to change these control arm bushings but I'm not really sure of the best way to get them out. How do I know what gears I have is it stamped on the gears? I want to order my trans mount so I can get my frame painted.:uhmk:

Alan's Classic 05-05-2009 09:17 PM

Need to know if your useing a factory style bushing or a neoprene. If you use factory the outer shell has to come out too. I read somewhere if you use a neoprene you leave the outer shell in. Maybe someone can confirm this. I use a torch to heat mine up to remove. Maybe a propane or mapp gas might get it hot enough. Then you might be able to use a big c clamp to put some pressure on it. When I put my factory ones in I used this setup. It's a pain, but you adapt and overcome when you don't have the right tools.;).

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC08075.jpg

I used the 2x4 to keep from squeezing the ears together. Make sure all rust and paint is removed prior to installing. It just makes the hole smaller. If you know someone that works in a shop see if they have a press.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC08074.jpg

Strodder 05-05-2009 10:03 PM

Allan, Good idea with the wood to install the bushings.