The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Pops 72 cheyenne dropmember build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=442514)

VA72C10 02-04-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Pops 72 cheyenne dropmember build

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 4460917)
All lights will be leds
Posted via Mobile Device

Niiiiice ;)

I love the Marquez lights period...but with the LED's they are straight up ballin ;):lol:

65Pickup 02-04-2011 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=superflysteiny;4437508]Thanks guys should be good. So talked to Nate couple days ago and drop member is on its way. So like I stated in a previous post hood and inner fenders came out when I put the upper trim on. So here are some pics of the trim on the side of the truck along with the new marker lights. Paint condition on the outside is an 8 out of 10. On the inside 5 out of 10 because it was not wet sanded and buffed so there is some runs and orange peel, I will be doing that this weekend. Also my standards on paint are really high do to the fact that I like show paint which as you all no takes alot more work to get. Again with this truck I am really having to control myself from building an all out show truck. I am trying to keep in mind that it is a driver. I plan to shoot out to az for the goodguys shows and this is the truck we are taking.

I've got a friend that builds at your level, the most fun he's had is a '34 Ford 3 window coupe with good paint but needing the cool factor. Traditional wheels and tires, tri power, finned covers, traditional steering wheel and column, etc. The car is amazing in my view, but he doesn't have to justify the paint as he didn't do it, and zero stress driving and parking it anywhere. (its like your black truck, averages joes would die for) Anyway, look forward to another of your builds and good on you to take care of your Dad. That's Super Fly

65Pickup 02-04-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 4459486)
Hi guys I worked my tail off last night and did not seem to get as much done as I wanted. I really enjoyed gringing all of those studs off and punching them out of the frame. Yeah ha it sucked. On a good note the bolt on notches slipped right over the rear frame rails and fit like a glove. Thanks Nate for the great product. I am always a little worried when I buy bolt on parts that there will be fitment issues. But not with porterbuilt.

When you trimmed the frame for the headers was it just the top rail or both top and bottom. Thanks look forward to this one too...cool stuff

jwalk 02-07-2011 12:22 AM

Looking forward to this project! I'd love to find someone that'll powder coat all my stuff for $650..... That'd be awesome!

superflysteiny 02-07-2011 12:19 PM

[quote=65Pickup;4462310]
Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 4437508)
Thanks guys should be good. So talked to Nate couple days ago and drop member is on its way. So like I stated in a previous post hood and inner fenders came out when I put the upper trim on. So here are some pics of the trim on the side of the truck along with the new marker lights. Paint condition on the outside is an 8 out of 10. On the inside 5 out of 10 because it was not wet sanded and buffed so there is some runs and orange peel, I will be doing that this weekend. Also my standards on paint are really high do to the fact that I like show paint which as you all no takes alot more work to get. Again with this truck I am really having to control myself from building an all out show truck. I am trying to keep in mind that it is a driver. I plan to shoot out to az for the goodguys shows and this is the truck we are taking.

I've got a friend that builds at your level, the most fun he's had is a '34 Ford 3 window coupe with good paint but needing the cool factor. Traditional wheels and tires, tri power, finned covers, traditional steering wheel and column, etc. The car is amazing in my view, but he doesn't have to justify the paint as he didn't do it, and zero stress driving and parking it anywhere. (its like your black truck, averages joes would die for) Anyway, look forward to another of your builds and good on you to take care of your Dad. That's Super Fly

Thanks I am really looking forward to just being able to drive it were every we want which will be nice. ;)

superflysteiny 02-07-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Pickup (Post 4463173)
When you trimmed the frame for the headers was it just the top rail or both top and bottom. Thanks look forward to this one too...cool stuff

I only had to trim the top rail. It was very easy

superflysteiny 02-07-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalk (Post 4468188)
Looking forward to this project! I'd love to find someone that'll powder coat all my stuff for $650..... That'd be awesome!

If you lived closer I could get you the hook up.

superflysteiny 02-07-2011 12:26 PM

Wanted to let you guys know I have the frame and rear together. I will get pics tonight. I am test fitting the rear end and rack and then off to the powder coater.

67cheby 02-07-2011 12:38 PM

great progress cant wait.....this is going to be the fastest DROPMEMEBER build EVER !!

65Pickup 02-07-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 4468925)
I only had to trim the top rail. It was very easy

Thanks, looks easy, on a hp thread someone simply V-notched at the pipe, yours looks better, and may be stronger. Probably won't have the headers when the motor goes in, your pictures should help to estimate where to cut. About an 1" on passenger and drivers sides?? Or just passenger side? Thanks looking forward to your updates.

Blazn C5 02-08-2011 02:02 AM

Cool build. Can't wait to see this cruisin around town. Funny, my pop has a red and white 72 cheyenne sb that I would love to see done like yours, but so far no luck. Haven't been able to talk him into it yet.

superflysteiny 02-08-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Pickup (Post 4469806)
Thanks, looks easy, on a hp thread someone simply V-notched at the pipe, yours looks better, and may be stronger. Probably won't have the headers when the motor goes in, your pictures should help to estimate where to cut. About an 1" on passenger and drivers sides?? Or just passenger side? Thanks looking forward to your updates.

I cut the frame with the plasma and I did an arch because I like smooth arches not agressive sharpe angles. Just my style. It is the same way I did it on the 67 build and it worked great. After it was cut I smoothed it with a 60 grit flap disc. ;)

superflysteiny 02-08-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazn C5 (Post 4470804)
Cool build. Can't wait to see this cruisin around town. Funny, my pop has a red and white 72 cheyenne sb that I would love to see done like yours, but so far no luck. Haven't been able to talk him into it yet.

I would love to see your ride maybe we could hook up some time

superflysteiny 02-08-2011 12:03 PM

Pics will be up later this afternoon.

superflysteiny 02-08-2011 07:23 PM

pics of the work.http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy003-9.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy004-7.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy005-6.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy006-5.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy007-4.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy008-5.jpg
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...chevy009-5.jpg

67cheby 02-08-2011 07:25 PM

looks great !!! man those wheels are BAD !!

superflysteiny 02-08-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4472051)
looks great !!! man those wheels are BAD !!

Thanks widest lip you can get on a 10 inch wheel. Off to the powder coater

VA72C10 02-08-2011 08:08 PM

Nice!!!

youngrodder 02-08-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 4472084)
Thanks widest lip you can get on a 10 inch wheel. Off to the powder coater

Are those Intros? What are the specs on those sweet wheels?

Marc

gixxerpymp 02-08-2011 10:00 PM

Any reason why you went with the trailing arm kit instead of the 4link?

lolife99 02-08-2011 11:02 PM

Are you going to have to narrow the rearend housing to tuck those 20x10's?

texastrendz 02-08-2011 11:40 PM

any reason you went with a bolt in kit? i see all those nice hobart welders in the garage. just wondering why you went this route. i know all the pb stuff is nice, i too own a dropmember. the quality of the past trucks seems to me that you would of chose a weld in kit. just for the sleek look and not the look of a bolt in kit. nice work, as always.

Hart_Rod 02-09-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerpymp (Post 4472416)
Any reason why you went with the trailing arm kit instead of the 4link?

I don't think this kit requires you to cut the bed floor??

VA72C10 02-09-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 4472911)
I don't think this kit requires you to cut the bed floor??

probably not as much as a 4 link...but that notch is a LITTLE big ;) to not require the floor being cut :uhmk: Just a c-notch can make the pumpkin hit the floor...this is like an 8-10" notch :chevy:

PBFAB.COM 02-09-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastrendz (Post 4472708)
any reason you went with a bolt in kit? i see all those nice hobart welders in the garage. just wondering why you went this route. i know all the pb stuff is nice, i too own a dropmember. the quality of the past trucks seems to me that you would of chose a weld in kit. just for the sleek look and not the look of a bolt in kit. nice work, as always.

I think this kit looks pretty slick myself! (no worries texastrendz... I know where we stand :)).