The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   67 C-30 Dually pickup build. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254096)

MrBeast 02-16-2008 10:45 AM

Re: 67 C-30 Dually pickup build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67_C-30 (Post 2580275)
Thanks. I have a Heath TurboMaster boost controller and I'm going to run around 12 psi. The fcatory 6.5TD settiung is around 6 psi. That is about the limit without dropping down to lower compression pistons. I have a turned up rebuilt 4911 injection pump that I'm going to use. It is the hottest mechanical pump available for these engines. I replaced the factory head bolts and main bolts with ARP studs and I'm using a DSG main girdle to help prevent main web cracking. I am thinking about intercooling it as well, but I'm not sure about that yet. I'm going to run a 4" Jardine exhaust with a K&N cone filter on the turbo. These engines have a wicked sound with the airbox/silencer removed with big exhaust. The exhaust note sounds like a big block with a rattle, and the turbo whines like a kid wanting candy!
Here is example. I really hope mine sounds as good!

YouTube - 1998 GMC Diesel Turbo

That thing sounds pretty damn sweet. You know that 6.5 is a good option for your build because they are much less of a listed item than a Duramax.

RED71CHEVY 02-18-2008 05:33 AM

:metal:that thing sounds sweet and wicked!!!..........is there a smaller turbo-diesel availible........with all of todays hopups yuo could still get very respectable power.

1LoC10 02-18-2008 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
did someone say shortbed

67_C-30 02-19-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED71CHEVY (Post 2582990)
:metal:that thing sounds sweet and wicked!!!..........is there a smaller turbo-diesel availible........with all of todays hopups yuo could still get very respectable power.

Well, the 4bt Cummins is a little smaller and PrimeredThunder on this board has a '72 Suburban with an Isuzu 4 cylinder Diesel. I chose my engine for the reasons of having expeience and good luck with these engines in the past, and ease of installation. The 6.2/6.5's can average 25 mpg + in a 1/2 ton. I have a '84 K1500 that gets about 26-27 mpg on the interstate with the 700R4.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1160693851

MrBeast 02-19-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67_C-30 (Post 2585033)
Well, the 4bt Cummins is a little smaller and PrimeredThunder on this board has a '72 Suburban with an Isuzu 4 cylinder Diesel. I chose my engine for the reasons of having expeience and good luck with these engines in the past, and ease of installation. The 6.2/6.5's can average 25 mpg + in a 1/2 ton. I have a '84 K1500 that gets about 26-27 mpg on the interstate with the 700R4.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1160693851

That Isuzu 4TD2-TC really is a good engine, My dad has a box van with it in there, and it has a few hundred thousand miles, and it just keeps on a runnin.

I love diesels, I really want to get my hands on a 12 valve cummins or a Duramax, but I really need to get my blazer sold and my shop built first.

How long before your engine is going in yours?

RED71CHEVY 02-19-2008 11:52 PM

what kind of power can you get from the smaller 4 cylinder?

MrBeast 02-20-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED71CHEVY (Post 2585646)
what kind of power can you get from the smaller 4 cylinder?

350-450 Ft/lbs of torque.

67_C-30 02-20-2008 06:34 AM

That particular Isuzu engine is rated at 87HP and 166 FT-LBS of torque. It is a 235 cu in engine. The good thing about diesels is the ability to turn them up usually for either no cost or very little money.

MrBeast 02-20-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67_C-30 (Post 2586163)
That particular Isuzu engine is rated at 87HP and 166 FT-LBS of torque. It is a 235 cu in engine. The good thing about diesels is the ability to turn them up usually for either no cost or very little money.

I know that the Isuzu 4BD2-TC is rated at 135 hp, but I couldnt find a torque rating on it. They are a peppy damn engine though, and if memory serves, the 4BD1 is rated at 128 hp, so they are both good engines, and are capable of being turned up cheap.

67_C-30 03-04-2008 11:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have been flipping back and forth on the whole altitude thing for awhile now, and I know of guys say slam and lower it, but I just can't see the big rattling diesel dually in the weeds. If it were going to be a big block truck, I'd be more open to it, but low and diesel just doesen't seem right to me. That leaves me with the dilemma about what to do about the rake. I went back and looked through a bunch of my saved dually pics 68gmcdually's extended cab dually and the blue Longhorn dually really stuck out because they have an all business look to them. Both of these trucks sit almost level, and IMO they look good that way.

I got the ol dually out today and hauled off a bunch of boxes and junk from my storage building (ya know, cause Santa has to put the toys together in there to keep from waking the kids!;)). When I got through, I threw the trusty ol floor jack under it to get some ideas. I bought a full set of 6 almost brand new tires that are a good bit wide and taller that what I was running, so I put those on and and jacked up the front to make it sit level. From the current height I'm going to have to come up about 3" higher in the front to make it level. I like the look of it that way. I'm thinking about buying a new set of 80's Diesel C-30 front springs since they seem to be about the heaviest ones made that will easily fit under my truck. I wonder if it will be enough? I may have to run a spring spacer as well. I am definitely going to be spacing the front wheels out a couple of inches also.

Not much of an update I know, but it was nice to get it out and drive it around a little. :waah:

Spray-Bomb 03-04-2008 08:30 PM

If you're not gonna lower it, make it level... but whatever you do don't lift it !!!!
2wd just look --- to me lifted

68gmcdually 03-04-2008 08:50 PM

Glad that you used my truck as a reference, my truck normally sits fairly level. Lots of people ask me why I didn't bag it, but I built my truck to tow the car trailer and the house trailer and too me it wasn't worth the money to get it down that low and still have it be able to handle a 30' house trailer or our float with a car on it.

FormerMember 03-24-2008 03:51 AM

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I am going to try for a stock bed.

67_C-30 03-24-2008 11:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 2640965)
Thanks for the inspiration. I think I am going to try for a stock bed.

Thanks. Your project looks awesome!

I got out there today, and got started on filling the rear side markers. I made the filler patches at work a few weeks ago, and I'm just getting around to doing them. I got the welding and metal work completed, and glazed a thin coat of Rage Gold filler on it, but that was as far as I got. There was already a small dent above the marker light on the pass side, so I broke out the stud welder and pulled it out. It turned out really good. That stud welder has been one of the better body work investments I've made. I got it straight enough that it only required a very thin skim coat of the filler.

I did it between Sunrise Service and family Easter Egg hunts this evening. I hated to work on it on Easter, but with work and own my business I have been really strapped down lately. That made me ponder the question - Is it really work if its something you love and WANT to do???:lol:

The second pic is when I first tacked it, and the third is the patch area after I finished welding it and the studs I welded on to pull the dent. Hopefully I will be able to finish the body work next weekend. For now I'm off to watch the kiddies hunt eggs! Ya'll have a Happy Easter!

68gmcdually 03-25-2008 12:29 AM

Glad to see that you found some time to work on it.

It definetly isn't work if it is something that you enjoy, and you shouldn't feel badly about it. At least you hit the sunrise service and watched the kiddos do their thing. Mine had no interest in the easter egg hunt he couldn't figure out what he was supposed to do, maybe by next year he will get the hang of it.

caminokid 03-25-2008 03:31 PM

The other trucks look great. But I think I like how you did you fenders out back. They look meaner. Its has a beefier look to it.

67_C-30 04-15-2008 04:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally found a little time to finish up the the body work where I filled the side markers. It's been years since I did any bodywork to amount to anything so I had to work pretty hard at getting them blocked out perfectly. The pass side had a dent right above the marker light so there was more warpage on it than the driver's side. I had to break out the airfile on it to get it straight. The driver's side went pretty smoothly. I have few more dings I've to fix but the bedsides are pretty close to being ready to cut down and prime.

I have to make a recommendation for the Evercoat Rage Gold body filler. As I said, I've been out of the loop on body shop materials for the last several years, but a guy that restores cars for a living told to to try it, and it is BY FAR the best body filler I've ever used. It is pricey at $52.00/gallon, but IMO its worth every penny. It is the easiest sanding filler I've ever used and I had zero problems with air bubbles.

toomanytoyz 04-15-2008 04:33 AM

Looking Good, You Still plan on going with a Smaller Running light in the Fenders ? At one time you were thinking of going that Route??

Thanks, Rick

EyeH8the24 04-15-2008 04:38 AM

slam that thing already..its begging to scrape its bumpers on the road

67_C-30 04-15-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanytoyz (Post 2677091)
Looking Good, You Still plan on going with a Smaller Running light in the Fenders ? At one time you were thinking of going that Route??

Thanks, Rick

Yes, I'm going to have to fill the side marker light in the fender if I use the ones on it. I recently acquired a set of '67 stepside fenders, but I'm not sure I want to cut them up. As you know you have to cut out bigger section of the '68 - '72 stepside fenders to fill since they are raised aoround the marker light holes. I'm going to try to fill these, but if I warp them up too bad, the '67fenders may be have to be sacrificed!! :drama:

68gmcdually 04-15-2008 05:29 AM

The truck is looking good. It finally warmed up enough today that I went out to the garage and started mine. I still can't get her out of the garage for the snow bank in front of the door but it was nice to her her idle again.

lowrollin70gmc 04-15-2008 06:45 PM

Raising the front gives it a good stance. Even though I drive a frame-scraper, something about a down-to-business dually looks great and the stance you got with your jack is good to go.

samwise68 04-15-2008 10:28 PM

Glad to see it's getting some progress made on it man!

And it looks like you know what you're doing with that mud and sander - those shaved markers came out beautifully.

Keep at it, I wanna see this oil burner in one color and doin' business man! ;)

-Sam.

67_C-30 04-18-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeH8the24 (Post 2677104)
slam that thing already..its begging to scrape its bumpers on the road

I think I'm gonna leave all the frame to ya'll Travis.:lol: Some of the places I take my trucks for parts runs would equal lots of getting high centered and bottoming out. My brother keeps saying the same though. He also wants to put it in the weeds!

MrBeast 04-22-2008 04:06 AM

I was just wondering, when you shortened your frame, did you chop and reweld it, or did you move and redrill your suspension mounts?"