The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My Build Story, And I'm Sticking To It! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=303279)

BLUE THUNDER 05-03-2010 10:49 PM

Re: My Build Story, And I'm Sticking To It!

4 Attachment(s)
I had been working on little things here and there and enjoying the Blazer. That is until i started hearing some chirping and whistling. A friend told me that it was the u-joints and that they should be changed. I had never changed them out but how hard could it be. A couple of hits w/ the hammer and a c-clamp and i was back in business.

BLUE THUNDER 05-03-2010 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also got the radio in. Finally got some tunes in the ride.

BLUE THUNDER 05-04-2010 08:37 PM

It's almost time to do the body mounts and I was wondering what problems I might encounter. Any tips? I'll be using the lift at work and will have a friend helping. What else will I need?

Blizz 05-05-2010 03:37 AM

Some rubber gloves and some Vaseline.

Jtrux 05-05-2010 09:56 PM

Time, and more time. Its a big job.

BLUE THUNDER 05-06-2010 12:28 AM

Even with a lift and friends? I'm lookin at a one day job!!!!!! You free Jtrux?

Jtrux 05-06-2010 08:37 PM

Man, i've been working my tail off. I'll be running a relay marathon in Corpus next weekend so I saved my days off for that.

BLUE THUNDER 05-11-2010 11:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yup, you guessed it, got a little more work done on the Blazer. I've been driving it for almost a year now with the "very" worn factory buckets. I couldn't go toe lake this weekend so I decided to install my seats. They are out of a 2001 chevy p/u with "entry" levers on both. I think they might have been out of a Suburban 2nd row. I had to fab some brackets to bolt them in. Here are a couple of pics. I can't believe what a diff these seats make. It is so much more comfortable.

BLUE THUNDER 05-11-2010 11:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used some angle iron, box tubing, and grade 8 bolts. The welder was right on time and took care of business, (thanks Blizz, his welder lol). The drill press and the chop saw made shortwork of the bolt holes and cuts. Here are some more pics.

BLUE THUNDER 05-11-2010 11:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Repeated the process for the other side and shazaaaam! I'm really diggin' driving it.

Blizz 05-12-2010 04:36 AM

good job....*snatches seats* now make yourself some....dickweed.

BLUE THUNDER 05-14-2010 05:17 PM

Very nice ref to weird science. One of my fav's. Well, the next couple of things to do are the body mounts and the install of the back seat, and the install of the tilt column. More pics to come. Thanks for reading.

BLUE THUNDER 07-12-2010 10:18 PM

Hey guys, just thought I would give an update. Since I put the new seats in i've been driving it alot. The down side.... the transfer case started leaking. And when that gear oil hits the exhaust and burns off, we're talking foul stank. It would stink up the entire truck. I bit the bullet and took it in to have the t-case steam cleaned and re-sealed. Should get it back tomorrow or the next day. I miss it. I've got my tow hooks painted and ready to install.

BLUE THUNDER 07-15-2010 08:52 PM

Man I miss my truck. Talked to the guys at the shop and they told me everything should be buttoned up tomorrow. I really want to drive it this weekend.

BLUE THUNDER 07-17-2010 12:26 PM

On my way to p/u Ol' Yeller. Can't wait. The guys at the shop called me yesterday and asked me to swing by to ck out a couple of things. The drive stafts are too short, but it's still driveable. The t-case was full of ATF and gear oil. That problem is now taken care of. The t-case was steam cleaned and re-sealed. The front driveshaft is wasted, but that is an easy fix. Now it's time to fix the leaky valve covers. I didn't want to pay for that. It will be nice to have Ol' Yeller back in the stable. I def see a trip to the coast soon.

Critter 07-17-2010 01:19 PM

Sweet! I'm sure you've missed your ride. Of course we will need pics of that squeaky clean Tcase!

Jtrux 07-17-2010 02:35 PM

Yep, pics.....what's your plan for D shafts??

BLUE THUNDER 07-27-2010 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the recently cleaned and re-sealed t-case. The origional valve covers are leaking oil, but that will soon be taken care of with the purchase of some aluminum valve covers. I also Installed the tow hooks that I had bought on a road trip last fall. Enjoy.

jojo 07-27-2010 11:01 PM

Cool man.. Thats good some work on your truck. I was so close to getting me some bucket seats (similar to yours) to replace my bench. But I backed out at the last minute. Wish I hadn't backed out.. I drive the truck several times a week and my freakin lower back is always hurting.

VA72C10 07-28-2010 12:06 AM

keep up the good work!

BLUE THUNDER 08-16-2010 12:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got an update on Ol' Yeller. I know it's not much, but I'm really pumped about the new shoes. I also changed out the valve covers to the black ones that came with the motor because the origional valve covers were leaking. Here is a pic of the new shoes (they finally match the front.)

Longblock 08-16-2010 08:10 AM

I am digging those wheels.....good choice. I also like that whip mount on the side.....is that original or did you add it?

jojo 08-16-2010 10:53 AM

Looks good bud.

I might have seen you on the road last week or the week before. I was on babcock near huebner and I saw a truck just like yours. Any chance you were over there recently?

BLUE THUNDER 08-16-2010 12:08 PM

@ jojo, yup that was me. I live out that direction. Thanks.

red71cheyenne 08-16-2010 10:52 PM

Lookin' good guy! Glad you are getting some time behind the wheel. I like the way you mounted your seats. Kind of the same way I came up with to mount mine, I'm just not as far along yet.