The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   tilly to the rescue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=553769)

clemdaddy 05-20-2013 09:45 PM

Re: tilly to the rescue

3 Attachment(s)
some progress on the cab... both rockers and inner rockers need replacing and the left side was first.

clemdaddy 05-20-2013 09:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
cutout the big window conversion which was a breeze compared to getting a good fit. will fill the, panel to top, seam alla chad once the bodywork starts.

big challenge will be the rightside rear corner. the cab must have been hit hard on this side and the bodyshop that fixed it didn't really fix it. they just molded everything in body filler. the welding is horrible and the alignment is worse. but i got a better corner from a donner truck that will completely replace the bad work.

clemdaddy 05-20-2013 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i leave you with this pic of the frame and utility bed put in hybernation. while work on the cab and doors continues i have no space for the storage of completed parts. this is as close to a bagged truck as i've gotten so far.:lol:

between the bed and frame is a car that i restored back in the early ninties. its due a paint job but i got to get the cab squared away first...

Dinos63 05-20-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6081933)
i leave you with this pic of the frame and utility bed put in hybernation. while work on the cab and doors continues i have no space for the storage of completed parts. this is as close to a bagged truck as i've gotten so far.:lol:

between the bed and frame is a car that i restored back in the early ninties. its due a paint job but i got to get the cab squared away first...

:lol::lol::lol: nice clem.....killer work on the cab

McMurphy 05-21-2013 12:46 AM

Very nice on those springs! They enhance without being over the top, like my stuff....

Those cab shoulder corners are not so bad. If you recall I had to replace mine too.
Just as easy/hard as the lower cab corners IMO

HoooRayyy for progress !! :metal:

da_bears_da1 05-21-2013 09:37 AM

That is some very bad welding but I am sure you will make it all good!!

Ta2Don 05-21-2013 09:41 AM

Amazing work Clem!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

rambler 05-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6081933)

Not going to take off the cover off the car? the suspense is killing me ! LOL
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1369101913

Bomp 05-21-2013 10:55 AM

Nice work on the cab but more importantly...... that lonely car in between the truck parts.
If you wanna get it outta there I'll take it. No new paint job necessary either.
Just tryin to help a guy out with needing "more room".

McMurphy 05-21-2013 12:08 PM

Under tarp #2......
My first guess is going to be a 69-72 Corvette.
Second best guess would be a Mercedes Coupe, of late 80s vintage.

Modges'66 05-21-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6082789)
Under tarp #2......

Nope, Murph!
Gotta be a '63-67 vette!...can't tell from here if it has a big-block hood though!

Ta2Don 05-21-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6082826)
Nope, Murph!
Gotta be a '63-67 vette!...can't tell from here if it has a big-block hood though!

:agree::metal::metal::metal:
Guessing Small Block hood

faribran 05-21-2013 05:01 PM

i vote for early model vette, also.

rambler 05-21-2013 06:09 PM

lets just hope it doesn't become like the IIOY thread ... before we find out..

rawraw67 05-21-2013 07:51 PM

here my guss small block 62 vette

clemdaddy 05-21-2013 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6082120)
:lol::lol::lol: nice clem.....killer work on the cab

thanks bro... i gonna do a real bag truck one day and i'll be counting on you for the guidance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6082235)
Very nice on those springs! They enhance without being over the top, like my stuff....

Those cab shoulder corners are not so bad. If you recall I had to replace mine too.
Just as easy/hard as the lower cab corners IMO

HoooRayyy for progress !! :metal:

appreciate it murph... nothing to it but to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6082569)
That is some very bad welding but I am sure you will make it all good!!

don't think we could do any worse... man, that had to be amateur night.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6082576)
Amazing work Clem!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks buddy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6082686)
Nice work on the cab but more importantly...... that lonely car in between the truck parts.
If you wanna get it outta there I'll take it. No new paint job necessary either.
Just tryin to help a guy out with needing "more room".

i really appreciate the offer but i'm thinking i need some rafter action like yours.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6082789)
Under tarp #2......

close...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6082826)
Nope, Murph!

correctamundo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6083053)
:agree::metal::metal::metal:
Guessing Small Block hood

also right

Quote:

Originally Posted by faribran (Post 6083221)
i vote for early model vette, also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambler (Post 6083313)
lets just hope it doesn't become like the IIOY thread ... before we find out..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawraw67 (Post 6083453)
here my guss small block 62 vette

ok sorry about the suspense.
1964 roadster with both tops, fac air, 300hp 327, 4-speed, 3.08 posi... white with red leather... numbers car...
been freshened up mechanically and interior, just needs a turn in the body shop. hopefully before it gets too frickin' hot out.

on another note... i did a sketch for the utility door art. truck will be satin black with a meta-flake burnt copper secondary color. the copper will probably be the dash and top between drip rails and maybe a little pinstriping. this sketch is just an idea not necessarily the finished thing...

MisterC 05-22-2013 01:07 AM

You call that a "sketch"?? Hell Clem, I'd love to see what you call art work! Top Shelf work, as always. That copper accenting is sharp.

da_bears_da1 05-22-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterC (Post 6084118)
You call that a "sketch"?? Hell Clem, I'd love to see what you call art work! Top Shelf work, as always. That copper accenting is sharp.

X2. After seeing that "sketch", I know I will never post my sketches.:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

clemdaddy 05-22-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterC (Post 6084118)

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6084354)
X2. After seeing that "sketch", I know I will never post my sketches.:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

spent years in smokey ad agency studios with pencils and markers. but todays art depts are all about computers. a mouse replaced everything. its cool what you can do in a short amount of time. the concept sketch has changed too. now it looks like finished art instead of a raw idea, i'm not fond of the look that computerized finished art gives over pencil sketches but you gotta use the tools you have... plus you can't smoke at work anymore and whatever happened to martini lunches.:lol: me... i'd rather be in the garage.

thanks for the compliments guys and for checking in with me.

McMurphy 05-22-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6084384)
spent years in smokey ad agency studios with pencils and markers. but todays art depts are all about computers. a mouse replaced everything. its cool what you can do in a short amount of time. the concept sketch has changed too. now it looks like finished art instead of a raw idea, i'm not fond of the look that computerized finished art gives over pencil sketches but you gotta use the tools you have... plus you can't smoke at work anymore and whatever happened to martini lunches.:lol: me... i'd rather be in the garage.

thanks for the compliments guys and for checking in with me.

Computer art is a skill.
It can be taught and imitated ad nausium.
Pencil and Brush art is a talent.
It comes from the heart, the hands, and the eye. The fundamentals can be taught, but it truely comes from the soul both in the doing, and the viewing.

Just my opinion on the differences between the two.
Not to say that one is better than the other, just that comparing the two is like comparing lemons to limes.
Same size, same shape, totally different.

You sir, are totally awesome at whatever you seem to turn you hand to.
Certainly looks good from here !!

flips72 05-26-2013 10:23 PM

very nice sketch clem, I would have to agree with the others though looks a lot better than a sketch.now back to the vette, uncover that thing and give us a few pics,i used to ride around in a 327,4 speed car when I was in my twentys,it wasn't mine we just worked on it a lot for a friend, sweet ride though.

Dinos63 05-27-2013 02:12 AM

skills skills and more skills!

Bomp 05-27-2013 10:58 AM

Top Quality work on the sketch and everything else your magic fingers touch.

Glad you had a nice time in Portland. Have to make it a point to meet up next time your out in these parts.

clemdaddy 05-27-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6091897)
very nice sketch clem, I would have to agree with the others though looks a lot better than a sketch.now back to the vette, uncover that thing and give us a few pics,i used to ride around in a 327,4 speed car when I was in my twentys,it wasn't mine we just worked on it a lot for a friend, sweet ride though.

yeah ok flips, you're probably right... not really a sketch in the truest form of the style but it is just an idea and still not right. fonts are too modern, too busy for the style that might have been done in the 60's and 70's. but its a start and i'll post up more comps as i get them done.

as far as the vette, be patient my friend. more pics when it rolls into the bodyshop. promise...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6092498)
Top Quality work on the sketch and everything else your magic fingers touch.

Glad you had a nice time in Portland. Have to make it a point to meet up next time your out in these parts.

thanks bro, and man, i could live where you live...

clemdaddy 06-02-2013 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got some stuff closer this month... like the radio panel replaced and the right side door pillar replaced.

had another cab show up for some repair and etch priming... wish i could find a cab this nice. it was soda blasted and has very few spots that need attention. mostly surface rust since it was blasted and garaged 7 years ago.